Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

i300 posted:

It's pretty ironic that she's a SHSL analyst yet she can't remember a drat thing. It's pretty clever writing, actually.

It also gives Junko motivation to steal/influence her memories/data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It also implies that her precious Matsuda-kun has something important that he's hiding from her, since he asked her never to use her talent on him. :ohdear:

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

SaitoBatch posted:

Well, there's my face of my nightmares for the next two weeks. They really meant it when they said like a snake didn't they?

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Quite beautiful indeed. Awesome work HelloWinter. Though I can't help but feel that it may have been slightly inspired by Genocider Syo's design. Maybe the artist just has a thing for tongues.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Well, she did say it requires vast amounts of data, so her amnesia could be related to her analytical abilities, or it might not, we'll probably find out at one point or another.

It could be the Incident. If she was involved, trauma can affect your memory. It'd explain why Matsuda is so interested in her.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'd say it's fair to predict that there's Junko-related poo poo in the notebooks that'd otherwise cause trouble for her down the line. And we already know she essentially gets away with quite a lot of poo poo up until DR1...

Also that dude is a SHSL Relative-of-Syo's or something.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Also that dude is a SHSL Relative-of-Syo's or something.

That reminds me that DR1 hinted that Fukawa had a seriously hosed up family situation. Was that ever explained in the original thread, or is it still a mystery?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It could be the Incident. If she was involved, trauma can affect your memory. It'd explain why Matsuda is so interested in her.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it mentioned earlier that the only people from the class that was killed who survived was either in a coma or missing, so she might not be involved with that.

Edit: What happened to your avatar, the old one was much better, just saying.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
So today's DR0 can be summarized as 'I can read minds! Just kidding, I have good intuition,' then, eh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HelloWinter, have I told you that you're the greatest person in the world lately? This is excellent.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

MUTEkI posted:

So today's DR0 can be summarized as 'I can read minds! Just kidding, I have good intuition,' then, eh?

Oh god, how true this is. Wait, what would happen if those two ever met?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it mentioned earlier that the only people from the class that was killed who survived was either in a coma or missing, so she might not be involved with that.

Edit: What happened to your avatar, the old one was much better, just saying.

You may be right. I can't quite recall; it's been so long since that was mentioned. I guess she still might have seen something, but that idea's pretty much torpedoed if you're correct.

As for the avatar, don't make fun of dog rapists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Who else thought of Orochimaru when they saw the face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

By the way, that wasn’t a prediction just now. It was just enthusiasm.

Was I the only one who got Maizono vibes from that line for some reason? Also interesting that she's suddenly addressing the viewer now.

And geez, I thought that was Syo for a second.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did, and this scares me, a high school student shouldn't resemble that.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Genocider Syo: the Noh Mask Edition.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

MUTEkI posted:

You rang?

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was I the only one who got Maizono vibes from that line for some reason? Also interesting that she's suddenly addressing the viewer now.

And geez, I thought that was Syo for a second.

I got the Maizono Vibes too. To me, she even looks like her, but that might be the colorblind talking.

If anything, they're definately two characters cut from the same cloth.

For what its worth, Ryouko's probably SHSL Chess Player level too. "Checkmate" is her catchphrase after all.

Well, after "Matsuda-kun" of course.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
So wait, is she faking her amnesia? Or does the super analytical side of Ryouko just come up whenever she realizes she's in danger? I mean, it's a cool ability and all, but I just hope it doesn't become a deus ex machina.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Being able to fake your amnesia to the people in your head listening to your inner narration would be a hell of a skill.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Joenen posted:

I got the Maizono Vibes too. To me, she even looks like her, but that might be the colorblind talking.

If anything, they're definately two characters cut from the same cloth.

For what its worth, Ryouko's probably SHSL Chess Player level too. "Checkmate" is her catchphrase after all.

Well, after "Matsuda-kun" of course.

Think about it: she's a SHSL Analyst.

That means she can basically play a single junk game and then WIPE THE FLOOR with someone, by predicting what they'd do next.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Carlioo posted:

So wait, is she faking her amnesia? Or does the super analytical side of Ryouko just come up whenever she realizes she's in danger? I mean, it's a cool ability and all, but I just hope it doesn't become a deus ex machina.

Pretty sure she said she read her talent in her notebook.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Carlioo posted:

She looked in her notebook and the details of her ability were written down in there:

orenronen posted:

Madarai perceived the change in me and put some distance between us immediately. It seems that despite his looks, he was a cautious man... and that I reclaimed my composure enough to make that analysis. With that newfound composure I turned back to read my notebook once again, from the beginning. All of a sudden, my eyes stopped on the very first page.

There was an explanation regarding my talent written there.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Rinoka posted:

Think about it: she's a SHSL Analyst.

That means she can basically play a single junk game and then WIPE THE FLOOR with someone, by predicting what they'd do next.

Analysts probably wouldn't call their test Data 'junk' but yeah, she could probably make excellent use of game theory.

Now, as to why Matsuda doesn't want her to use her ability on him, well, I wonder.

She's clearly good at predicting human actions, but I wonder how well she can read people's hearts?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
So my first guess is that this Madarai guy had a friend or brother/sister( I don't want to meet his family that's for sure) involved in that school acident, at least it seems that away since it looks like that affected him in some way.

Also a question for Oren.
Is there a full body art of DR0 characters? Like the DR1 and 2 cast had. I kinda want to know how this Madarai looks like besides the face.
If there is and you can't post it because of some spoiler reasons, I can wait of course. I just want to know if that is something to look forward to.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Jalathas posted:

Pretty sure she said she read her talent in her notebook.

:doh: That's what I get for not reading properly. But yeah, you kinda have to wonder why she forgets things so easily, even though she is an SHSL Analyst. Did she took in too much information at one point? Or maybe the amnesia was planted there by the Despair group.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

Triskelli posted:

That reminds me that DR1 hinted that Fukawa had a seriously hosed up family situation. Was that ever explained in the original thread, or is it still a mystery?

Orenronen still hasn't done her Social Link stuff, so there might be some information there regarding that.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I suspect her amnesia is part of some ridiculously circuitous plan to do... something. Mostly because if there is any talent that would let someone come up with and execute a ridiculously circuitous plan that depends on knowing exactly what everyone involved would do at every step of the plan, it's SHSL Analytics.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fantastisk posted:

Orenronen still hasn't done her Social Link stuff, so there might be some information there regarding that.

Good lord, you're right. And I have no idea if you can go hang out with both halves or only the one. Were there any others we were shortchanged?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I think we hung out with Syo once, but it amounted to just being a waste of time. So you can only get social link events when Fukawa is in charge. Unless it was just since we had never hung out with Fukawa period, we hadn't reached a scene where it needed to be Syo in charge.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Someone posted a link to all the skills you gained from the characters FT events in the DR1 thread and I remember that Syo gave skills so you can have events with her I guess.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Oh, HelloWinter? Can I crop that Gundam pic you drew a while back for my avatar? It's really awesome and Gundam's becoming one of my favorite characters.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

HangedManArcana posted:

Oh, HelloWinter? Can I crop that Gundam pic you drew a while back for my avatar? It's really awesome and Gundam's becoming one of my favorite characters.
... don't you want a better-looking avatar? :stare: I'll even draw one for you, I'm serious. I like Gundam too.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
That pic is great though. But... If you're offering, then sure! Just so long as it's still Gundam blushing and hiding behind his scarf. Thank you! Just need a quote for him though, or no quote. I'm not quite as fond of his "4 dark lords" line as some other people. Thanks again. Edit: Might wait for his Free time event before putting it up to see if there's a good quote.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That's an interesting ability. How can she analyse someone's personality so accurately by looking at a single fight though?

MonsterEnvy posted:

*Raises hand*

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think we hung out with Syo once, but it amounted to just being a waste of time. So you can only get social link events when Fukawa is in charge. Unless it was just since we had never hung out with Fukawa period, we hadn't reached a scene where it needed to be Syo in charge.
We have talked to Fukawa before - it is probably just that we are not at the stage where Syo will talk to us.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Jeek posted:

That's an interesting ability. How can she analyse someone's personality so accurately by looking at a single fight though?

It's an anime thing. Apparently fighting is a primal mode of communication that is far superior to mere words when it comes to conveying things like feelings and stuff in anime. So if you can watch someone fighting, you can analyze their personality based on how they hold themselves, the way they attack, how they defend themselves, etc.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

W.T. Fits posted:

It's an anime thing. Apparently fighting is a primal mode of communication that is far superior to mere words when it comes to conveying things like feelings and stuff in anime. So if you can watch someone fighting, you can analyze their personality based on how they hold themselves, the way they attack, how they defend themselves, etc.

Well, it's not so much an "anime thing" as a "thing that lots of anime latches on to". I don't know where the idea came from, or even if it came from any one particular culture, but it's definitely not an invention of anime.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Axle_Stukov posted:

If I recall, we had seen two of Fukawa's events when we tried talking to Syo, and we didn't get any special scenes with her(though the game gave us the option to give her gifts). So if there are Genocider Syo scenes, I'm not sure what's required to trigger them.

Maybe you need to make more progress with Fukawa to be able to talk to Syo, or the game doesn't let you talk to her until you've completed the game. With the reveal at the end that Syo remembered the time gap, the latter option is plausible if they didn't want to give away that twist too soon.

We'll find out for certain once their free time scenes are translated.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

W.T. Fits posted:

Seconding that this is in no way an anime thing. It's something that shows up in pretty much every single storytelling medium, and for good reason too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

HangedManArcana posted:

That pic is great though. But... If you're offering, then sure! Just so long as it's still Gundam blushing and hiding behind his scarf.
... and hamsters, right? Right?

• Locked thread