Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

shawnlreed posted:

The Balloon Fight challenge was awesome. It was the perfect way to create a challenge out of a game with no actual ending.
Does anyone know if the balloons continue to change color if you get 20 purple ones in a row?
Thanks as always to Random Stranger and Zari-gani for the excellent work!
Sadly no, the sound effect will play if you get a further 20 in a row but the colour doesn't change again. Actually, the palette might be slightly off in the version Arino is playing because the final colour is meant to be more red than purple.

fake edit: here have a video of someone surviving an insane 25 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_Q3wnF9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Do Japanese people not strike through their 7s?

I thought everybody but Americans did that, or is that just a Euro thing

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The passwords systems I hated most were the ones that used sprites or other non-alphanumeric symbols; they were always a complete pain in the arse to draw/write down, even when the passwords were short.

Good lord. James Pond 3. After scrawling a bunch of teddy bears and poo poo back in the day, I come back to the game later only to discover the color of each symbol mattered too. :suicide:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I thought everybody but Americans did that, or is that just a Euro thing
No, but there's a tendency to strike through capital D's instead, ostensibly so you know it's not a capital O.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Stefan Prodan posted:

They put a little hook at the beginning of their 7s. That must be how they teach it in school, because every first generation Japanese person I know writes it like that. Calculators made by Japanese companies do that too -- they use four bars for 7 instead of three.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

That was hands down the best DVD challenge ever.

Refresh my memory: which challenge was that?

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

That was hands down the best DVD challenge ever.

Which one was that, again, Bomberman? If so I completely agree.

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012
Yup, Bomberman is the DVD challenge in question. D J I

Also - the Famicom Dragon Quest games all received some kind of rework and additions for the NES release. As well as battery save, later games had more elaborate title screens, enhanced graphics (even DQ I had an enhanced player overworld sprite) and the like.

The changes are covered in Chrontendo as the games are reached in the timeline. Dragon Quest is at about 50 minutes in of Episode 8 - http://archive.org/details/Chrontendo_Vol_8

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The passwords systems I hated most were the ones that used sprites or other non-alphanumeric symbols; they were always a complete pain in the arse to draw/write down, even when the passwords were short.

God forbid it's one of the games with a password screen that times out.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just started the Balloon Fight episode and I know nothing about the Wii U. I thought it was a new black version of the Wii with a stupid controller. Now I see it's actually another handheld? So what's the point of the 3DS? It looks like a Game Gear.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PureRok posted:

I just started the Balloon Fight episode and I know nothing about the Wii U. I thought it was a new black version of the Wii with a stupid controller. Now I see it's actually another handheld? So what's the point of the 3DS? It looks like a Game Gear.

The wiiu is a new console, the thing you're talking about is the controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PureRok posted:

Now I see it's actually another handheld?

A handheld that you have to be near the console to use.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

InsaneDavid posted:

Yup, Bomberman is the DVD challenge in question. D J I

Also - the Famicom Dragon Quest games all received some kind of rework and additions for the NES release. As well as battery save, later games had more elaborate title screens, enhanced graphics (even DQ I had an enhanced player overworld sprite) and the like.

DQ1's player in Japan could only face one way. When you picked the "talk" command or any command meant to apply to an adjacent square ("door"), you additionally had to specify the direction you wanted to apply the action in, a la really old computer rpgs.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

PureRok posted:

It's exactly that level of confusion that Nintendo could have avoided if they hadn't put Wii in the things name, but here we are.

At any rate the last Balloon Fight special was pretty good so I have high hopes for this one if I can ever download the dang thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PureRok posted:

Nintendo's confusing marketing really isnt doing this system any favors

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507212

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

PureRok posted:

Do you write for CNN?

KingGiddra
Jan 8, 2012
Do they ever show who has the really distinct laugh whenever Arino screws up or tells a joke? I assumed it was Abe, but I'm not really sure.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Director Fujimoto I believe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You can also see him laughing on the New year specials.

Can anyone remember off-hand what episode had the TamaGe visit to a small restaurant/bar/cafe which was basically someone's living room, with Famicom and games in the cupboard drawer?

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Azazell0 posted:

Can anyone remember off-hand what episode had the TamaGe visit to a small restaurant/bar/cafe which was basically someone's living room, with Famicom and games in the cupboard drawer?

I just rewatched that one last night... Season 6, episode 042, Adventure Quiz Hatena's Quest

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KingGiddra posted:

Do they ever show who has the really distinct laugh whenever Arino screws up or tells a joke? I assumed it was Abe, but I'm not really sure.

The Japanese Wikipedia entry claims that it's Kan. Take that with a grain of salt, though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

KingGiddra posted:

It's Director Fujimoto, and I still think this is asked often enough that it can go in the OP FAQ.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Shingen posted:

I just rewatched that one last night... Season 6, episode 042, Adventure Quiz Hatena's Quest

Thanks. I can't help but feel jealousy over the fact that they have awesome little cafés like that one in Japan. Watching the show and seeing all these various quaint shops and arcades has given me a huge urge to go apply for a starter fund for new business owners from the government and start my own café with pinball machines, arcade games and retro consoles people can play if they want to!

Kan isn't really a person who'd laugh out loud like that. I remember in the Korean trip episode he gave Arino such a cold stare when he just stopped for a moment to do some window shopping...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PureRok posted:

Daaaad you're embarassinnnng meeee

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked the Balloon Fight challenge but man it's kinda frustrating to watch. I'm not a Balloon Fight god or anything but I bought it on VC afterwards and it took me three attempts to get the balloons to change colour twice. It reminded me of the end of the Super Mario World challenge where he dies like 100+ times on a really simple boss. Sometimes it's just kinda hard to believe that he's really that bad at games.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

KimT posted:

I liked the Balloon Fight challenge but man it's kinda frustrating to watch. I'm not a Balloon Fight god or anything but I bought it on VC afterwards and it took me three attempts to get the balloons to change colour twice. It reminded me of the end of the Super Mario World challenge where he dies like 100+ times on a really simple boss. Sometimes it's just kinda hard to believe that he's really that bad at games.

It's even harder to watch when he can have so much fun with Battletoads and takes it with relative ease, but Bowser and the Magikoopa completely own his soul for a few hours each.

But if this wasn't the case I wouldn't be watching Arino.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That Balloon Fight goal seemed pretty hard to me...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

If you're more of a gamer than Arino then getting the first 10 balloons isn't that bad with a little practice. AD Matsui's pattern is pretty much the best way (though I'd add that you should bounce yourself off the "ceiling" of the screen when you first fly up there to gain a tiny bit more speed going down). After that, yeah, it's a little insane. And then there's Balloon Trip Breeze in Nintendo Land...

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 28, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Our beloved Kacho is about to take on Dante in the VGCW if anyone wants to watch :v:

(edit) Nevermind, over already. Arino fuckin stomped him :D

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Ok I've been scouring around the internet trying to find a work uniform like Arino's, but I can't find a place that sells them. Can anyone help me out here. I really want to do a GCCX costume for a con that's coming up.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Sorry, but how did you manage to get two mouth icons on that Mii?

VVVVVV Huh, that's the ticket. Of course now it's going to be awkward using him in games where his expression changes.

StevenM fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 29, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StevenM posted:

Sorry, but how did you manage to get two mouth icons on that Mii?

The lower "mouth" is actually a mustache that's been shaped a bit .

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Ok I've been scouring around the internet trying to find a work uniform like Arino's, but I can't find a place that sells them. Can anyone help me out here. I really want to do a GCCX costume for a con that's coming up.

PM rdbbb.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

bpc908 posted:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kobe-sanuki/item/80100/#googtrans/ja/en
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kobe-sanuki/item/44301/#googtrans/ja/en

Hope this helps. The pants are kind of off in color, though.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Time to try to find those pants with the proper inseam. :(

e: vvv thanks.

e: I have no idea what size to get. I just need Arino's size.

versus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2013

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The exact one is the Aitoz AZ5320 though. There's a listing on Rakuten but they don't seem to have the right color and the images aren't showing up, so it looks like using a proxy buyer on another store is still the "best" way.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

rdbbb posted:

The exact one is the Aitoz AZ5320 though. There's a listing on Rakuten but they don't seem to have the right color and the images aren't showing up, so it looks like using a proxy buyer on another store is still the "best" way.

This is way complicated, any easier way to buy the complete uniform?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What's the story of Arino's uniform anyway? It seems to be a generic worker getup that a lot of men in Japan wear, but I can't really tell what type of job they have in common. I remember seeing the PM wearing one in a press conference around the tsunami, so I suspected that it was a bit of an affectation to show he was "getting on with the job" or something. It seems like maybe it's for engineers but the shirt and tie seem a bit formal for that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Comrade Fakename posted:

It seems like maybe it's for engineers but the shirt and tie seem a bit formal for that.

Garbage truck engineers maybe :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

bpc908 posted:

This is way complicated, any easier way to buy the complete uniform?

Not really. It's how this stuff is sold. Fuji sold a real GCCX-embroidered one a while ago that included pants but that was pretty limited.