Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
At prototype, end of course critiques rarely resulted in anything. One of my friends had 5 classes in a row that all said he was one of the worst people they had met with people regularly saying that he got off on making people cry. The only thing that happened was the PMC calling him into his office to ask "Did you know that almost every student you've had hated you?" "Yeah, they're mad that I make them study" "Oh, well, try to be a little nicer so we stop getting these complaints."

Some people would print theirs out and tape them to the wall of their office if they were particularly amusing. A (male) student once wrote "Getting systems checkouts from PO1 KetTarma is like getting raped" which made the rounds for a long time.

Fact: Every student since time began has complained that medical sucked, parking sucked, and there were never enough instructors around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
This wasn't MMC made life suck. This was stuff like MMC would tell us dirty jokes and stories about pre-Navy life. You know the stuff that makes class enjoyable.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Lesson learned: Never trust students to not try to gently caress you over.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

We are pretty awful.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

KetTarma posted:

At prototype, end of course critiques rarely resulted in anything. One of my friends had 5 classes in a row that all said he was one of the worst people they had met with people regularly saying that he got off on making people cry. The only thing that happened was the PMC calling him into his office to ask "Did you know that almost every student you've had hated you?" "Yeah, they're mad that I make them study" "Oh, well, try to be a little nicer so we stop getting these complaints."

Some people would print theirs out and tape them to the wall of their office if they were particularly amusing. A (male) student once wrote "Getting systems checkouts from PO1 KetTarma is like getting raped" which made the rounds for a long time.

Fact: Every student since time began has complained that medical sucked, parking sucked, and there were never enough instructors around.

When were you in Charleston? We had a mechanic first that used to toss wrenches at people, and I thought he was loving hilarious. Then again, I used to intentionally bait him into throwing wrenches at me, then dodge so they would hit other people.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm still there, kicking it at Citadel/Trident Tech

I was an instructor from 09-12

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

KetTarma posted:

People weren't done by systems, I thought you were an oncrew guy?

Also, what is the greatest sad story ever, you have to tell us.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I'm still there, kicking it at Citadel/Trident Tech

I was an instructor from 09-12

i left in early 08, chances are he was gone by the time you got there. you probably worked with people I hated though:v:

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

People weren't done by systems, I thought you were an oncrew guy?

Also, what is the greatest sad story ever, you have to tell us.

Yes, give me the story that I can use to tell if I am at rock bottom some day.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Most students were not done with systems before coming to crew. Almost none had received In-hull. My LPO made most of them go to me for that checkout because he knew I'd make it last 4+ hours. Sometimes it'd be 16+.

I typed up sad stories about suicides before realizing you wanted a funny-sad story. Maybe later. Got me all mopey :P

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I was in Prototype from '11-'12. What ship/crew were you on?

Also, mids is still rocking. About to finally start up 2 plant tomorrow if nothing fucks up. Which knowing the Vinson, it will. Can't wait to get rid of loving shipyard. All you baby nukes in here, lesson of life, shipyard wil ALWAYS gently caress you over. ALWAYS. Don't ever trust them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The worst part isn't that shipyard fucks you over. It's that they don't care. I can't say for sure but it certainly feels like there's no accountability going back to the civilian side.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

KetTarma posted:

Holy poo poo, this. In a big way. Between that, and "Petty Officer, do you have time for a pre-watch? I know it's after shift, but I sat around all day and didn't get it done," prototype is sweeeeeeeet.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Hey man, those pre-watches are hard. You have to like, know poo poo about the watch and stuff, y'know? You can't expect students to know anything. Especially if they're standing Throttleman.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Throttleman? What's to know?

Stand there and pretend to be Cap'n Hook, then when the horn goes off Shut the Throttles and look interested in what all the dials are doing while everyone else gets busy.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

I remember always hating Throttleman as a student, is all. No one understood it. It's a bit better in the fleet, because at least on a carrier you can sit in a chair. And it's a lever here, not a giant wheel of death.

One time, we had the signs hung on throttles (at Prototype), and the Engineroom guy started opening and shutting them from out there. Riped the sign off and it almost it the EOOW, who was madly announcing over the 2MC for him to stop loving with the shaft.

Also, field day sucked. My very first one they had 8 of us in the RC tunnel. The whole time.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I was in Norfolk for 2012. Sucked.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

626 then. I'm sorry man. I met an EM chief from your boat one day though, I was studying for Comp and he was about to do an IDE set, we had a nice conversation about how much money he made as a Chief in response to me and my buddy talking about hating how little we got paid.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Ask around 2 Plant and see if people remember swampcat

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 22, 2013

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Any rate in particular? Electricians I assume?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Throttleman chat: an EM buddy of mine got overzealous while shutting throttles during a casualty. In his excitement, his hand slipped off, and he accidentally punched his OI in the balls.

NEVER trust students. I was never an instructor and even I know that:ninja:

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Had a student today put his hand in a pump to feel packing. Granted, you can do that, but after you check leakage. And after you..ya know...tell the staff member what you are doing, so he doesn't grab your hand out and hip-check him. Ugh.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

We had a student that injured himself every time he was supposed to clean. Eventually we assigned another student to watch him clean. He ended up graduating somehow and went to my old ship. He lasted about 4 months before the Reactor Officer denuked him.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

How does one injure themselves cleaning? 'Y'know man, I was just sweeping the ladderwell, and suddenly I just fell down and broke my leg.' Something like that?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
My boat indoctrinated me so hard about nonstop cleaning that one day, while doing RC div maintenance that involved pulling pump fuses from the 5S switchboard, I noticed there was a shitton of dust in one of the fuseholders and without thinking reached in to clean it out. My chief heard a pop and a yelp, would not believe I had touched something sharp and I got to spend most of the evening hooked to an EKG down at the base hospital.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

On the bright side, you didn't have to clean or do maintenance.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Hobolicious posted:

How does one injure themselves cleaning? 'Y'know man, I was just sweeping the ladderwell, and suddenly I just fell down and broke my leg.' Something like that?

We had a guy in my section who was field daying Building 111 (NPTU Ballston Spa) and plugged in a computer. He shocked himself and thought nothing of it - until a few hours later, when he started having chest pains, and ended up going to the hospital.

We also had two people knock the poo poo out of their heads in MARF on one field day, one requiring stitches. Since then we've been briefing field day as our most dangerous evolution.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
I remember the MARF field day briefs. Mostly it was the class leader rattling off safety points such as "don't expose yourself to a fall greater than six feet" while the shift supervisor looked on disapprovingly.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Oh, it hasn't changed.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Sounds like 635 was too for field day. Field day in the fleet is better at least. Less oversight. Better hiding spots.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
In order to field day underneath the drain pump someone had removed the drain strainer. I know better than to go down into that bilge - it's horrifically gross from drain effluent and real easy to get stuck - but the guy who was down there needed help getting the strainer back on. For reference this thing weighs about 80 pounds. I'm trying to get the bolts back in and the guy loses grip on the strainer and smashes my hand between it and the bulkhead, breaking a finger. Doc is off-hull (of course, it's field day) so my free government medical care consists of putting my finger in some ice water and getting my rear end chewed by my HMCM COB for being on the mess decks (to get said ice water) in my field day greenie. Finally Doc comes back, sends me to the base hospital for x-rays, finger confirmed broken. Unfortunately we're going underway in a day or two and I'm the 6th guy in RC div and we can't support the RT watchbill without me, so I can't get left in, I'm not qualified RO yet and if they put my hand in any sort of cast I can't operate necessary valves on the RT watchstation. So a command decision is made, my x-rays are "lost", Doc fashions up this goofy brace out of about five inches of metal banding and some foam (lasts maybe two days) and off I go for a 5-week-ish underway. The finger, which was never set, turns funky colors and at one point got so cold I was afraid it was going to fall off or something so I slept with it in my mouth to keep it warm.

The Navy never fixed my finger. It still sticks out at a strange angle and has a big obvious fracture line running across it and doesn't bend well. The lesson here is to never ever go into the bilge because poo poo will bite you.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Also, Navy will gently caress you over. But that's a given, really.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy never fixed my finger. It still sticks out at a strange angle and has a big obvious fracture line running across it and doesn't bend well.

The silver lining is that this will provide you with monthly income (tax-free) for life. Make sure that the incident is recorded or mentioned in your service treatment record somewhere before you sign your discharge papers. Even if you mention it during your exit physical ten years after it happened, if the doc writes it down (and don't leave his office until he does), it will qualify you for service-related disability compensation. They don't even need to treat you for it at that time, it just needs to be on record that something bad happened to you while Uncle Sam had a license to send you to your death.

If you are already a civilian, it is still possible to get compensated if you can show that the timing of the injury coincided with your period of service through contemporaneous pictures, letters, 'buddy' statements from people who will attest to it (these can be tricky and are least weighty of the evidence types for obvious reasons).

And even if you don't plan on claiming disability for yourself, your kids could benefit someday. For example, if you are from Alabama (Home of Record or entered service in AL) and you have a 20% rating from the VA, your kids get free tuition at any state university that they are admitted too.

Other states have their own set of special ways of saying thanks to veterans. Accept their thanks graciously!

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

boop

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 28, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
You might want to delete most of that.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

So rumor going around is that someone in Charlie track got drunk karate chopped another baby nuke so hard his spleen had to get taken out and then neither told their slpo.
Now we are looking at a class wide brief on Saturday. At least that is the rumor.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

So rumor going around is that someone in Charlie track got drunk karate chopped another baby nuke so hard his spleen had to get taken out and then neither told their slpo.
Now we are looking at a class wide brief on Saturday. At least that is the rumor.

i punched my roommate in prototype so hard it broke out his two front teeth

still feel bad about it :smith:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I ate some cup o' noodle ramen and my appendix died the next day.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

what is a charlie track

Did they expand t-track to the rest of the alphabet since there are so many babbys running around?

ps, send all t-trackers to be slave labor at prototype. 100% serious post.

pps, dont use "i was on hold for a year and forgot everything" as an excuse as to why youre dumb in prototype. it is only reminding the instructor that you got a better deal than him and he hates you for it. NNPTC hold students soak up TA money so much that instructors cant get it. while i am normally ok with anything that inconveniences crystal palace royalty, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
We do that with grad holders, send em to kings bay because there is no loving room (also I would not be opposed to this, its hard enough to try to qualify and then field days and other dumb poo poo), but at least I'm 50% pretty soon. Gonna become the new KetTarma if I get sent to the yards.

• Locked thread