Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

Zombies aren't an enemy, they're hostile environment.

How is this more true of zombies than of any other enemy? Zombies actively pursue you, can be evaded or killed, have specific weaknesses, and are fought using conventional weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How is this more true of zombies than of any other enemy? Zombies actively pursue you, can be evaded or killed, have specific weaknesses, and are fought using conventional weapons.

Because the main point about the rare actually good zombie stories is that the zombies don't actually matter — it's the interaction between the people that is important, and the zombies are just a catalyst to trigger those interactions. They could just as well be amazon ants or a blazing inferno or the unstoppable that spreads along the ceiling planels and rots the house… and you have no ladder to go up on the roof and fix the leak.

The only real difference with zombies is that it makes for fun make-up in movies.

Granted, a swarm of ants and a rotting wall could be considered environment as well, but usually when you see those in media, the focus is usually slightly different in that there is a clear antagonistic relationship between those and the ”heroes”. In a zombie movie, the “heroes” are the antagonists (to each other).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Tippis posted:

Because the main point about the rare actually good zombie stories is that the zombies don't actually matter — it's the interaction between the people that is important, and the zombies are just a catalyst to trigger those interactions. They could just as well be amazon ants or a blazing inferno or the unstoppable that spreads along the ceiling planels and rots the house… and you have no ladder to go up on the roof and fix the leak.

The only real difference with zombies is that it makes for fun make-up in movies.

Granted, a swarm of ants and a rotting wall could be considered environment as well, but usually when you see those in media, the focus is usually slightly different in that there is a clear antagonistic relationship between those and the ”heroes”. In a zombie movie, the “heroes” are the antagonists (to each other).
Right - and the second a single zombie game outside of The Walking Dead implements zombies that way, more of us might give a dang. But right now, no one ever does, ROAM not being an exception.

You're describing zombie movies, not games. I enjoy zombie movies.

EDIT: ok, Dead Rising gets a pass. But even then, only barely.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Survarium is that instead of a zombie plague ending the world, it's a PLANT INFESTATION! Unstoppable plants that infest everything, destroy any structure, and infect humans with disease. And this game is being made by the people who made STALKER.

That said, I can imagine them going the lazy route and just give us lots of humanoid zombies infested with plants. I hope not.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'd play an EDF type game where you have to destroy giant Audrey II type plants before they take over the world.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Survarium is that instead of a zombie plague ending the world, it's a PLANT INFESTATION! Unstoppable plants that infest everything, destroy any structure, and infect humans with disease.

Also got my soundtrack queued up :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuJQL8GBqY

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The latest Matt Chat has an extensive interview with Chris Taylor about Wildman and GPG in general.

It's really candid and actually really interesting, mainly because it's 99% Chris Taylor just getting a mountain of stress of his chest. Anyway, it seems like if the game gets funded he can hire 15 people, assuming he goes without pay personally for a while. That's half the people he wanted, and he'd have to work with the community pretty extensively at least as far as playtesting goes. The way he tells it, he expected "orders of magnitude" more money, ending in the $2-3 million range (which would give everyone jobs) and considers the current numbers abysmal. Kicktraq agrees, indicating the project's having a lot of trouble maintaining any momentum it gets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pyradox posted:

he expected "orders of magnitude" more money

Talk about fatal mistakes. All the biggest success stories have been from people expecting to have to fight until the bitter end to reach their target, and then crawl up into a little ball and think about switching to Enterprise work because nobody is ever really going to back them anyway oh god :ohdear:

Firing everyone a few days in won't have helped the trajectory either, would have scared off a lot of potential donors.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 28, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Personally I refuse to buy zombie games. It's in part because individual games are made worse by their use of zombies but I also just want to discourage people from using the exact same loving enemy that looks and behaves the exact same way in every single game. Seriously, don't do that, but if you ARE going to do that at least choose a more interesting enemy. "Video game soldier guy" with medium armor and a mid-range assault rifle, the second most cliche enemy in games, is ten times more interesting in terms of what kinds of things they could do to a player and requires an equal(zero) amount of creativity to come up with.

people don't choose zombies because they're creative/uncreative. They choose them because they're an order of magnitude less difficult to program and implement. Zombies move towards you relentlessly. They do not shoot or take cover or move in any way that is not mindlessly towards you.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Didn't watch that 1h+ youtube, but going on your summary, I think he's deluded if he thought that pitch was going to set the internet on fire and give him $3 million to go to town with. The kickstarter games that pull in that kind of money have all sold the idea that the people behind have been hindered by external forces to produce the kind of experience that the backers are looking for.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

The other thing is that the million dollar kickstarters have all been niche products in genres without any real big name competition. Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are all games with not only no major modern analogues but teams that have their roots among cult classics and critical darlings of the genre. Wild Man is trying to tap two exceptionally popular genres - MOBAs and ARPGs - which are already loaded with popular and upcoming games. DOTA, LOL, HON, Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile are all games in Wild man's genres, so the only real new thing it's offering is the tech upgrades, which aren't really a significant mechanical change from the rest of the genre.

As sympathetic as I am to the guy after that video, I'm just not confidant he can outclass the competition with half his team and a fraction of the funding.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

people don't choose zombies because they're creative/uncreative. They choose them because they're an order of magnitude less difficult to program and implement. Zombies move towards you relentlessly. They do not shoot or take cover or move in any way that is not mindlessly towards you.

At least Left 4 Dead tried to play with the formula and actually had a pretty complex AI simulation, just a shame it sparked a bunch of really cheap copies who tried to ride the zombie wave immensely cheaply.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Pyradox posted:

It's really candid and actually really interesting, mainly because it's 99% Chris Taylor just getting a mountain of stress of his chest. Anyway, it seems like if the game gets funded he can hire 15 people, assuming he goes without pay personally for a while. That's half the people he wanted, and he'd have to work with the community pretty extensively at least as far as playtesting goes. The way he tells it, he expected "orders of magnitude" more money, ending in the $2-3 million range (which would give everyone jobs) and considers the current numbers abysmal. Kicktraq agrees, indicating the project's having a lot of trouble maintaining any momentum it gets.

Two orders of magnitude more than 1.1M isn't 3M, it's 110M. I would decimate my pledge to his KS, if I was a backer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pyradox posted:

The other thing is that the million dollar kickstarters have all been niche products in genres without any real big name competition. Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are all games with not only no major modern analogues but teams that have their roots among cult classics and critical darlings of the genre. Wild Man is trying to tap two exceptionally popular genres - MOBAs and ARPGs - which are already loaded with popular and upcoming games. DOTA, LOL, HON, Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile are all games in Wild man's genres, so the only real new thing it's offering is the tech upgrades, which aren't really a significant mechanical change from the rest of the genre.

As sympathetic as I am to the guy after that video, I'm just not confidant he can outclass the competition with half his team and a fraction of the funding.
Even though I'm a backer, you're absolutely correct with this.

You just can't get a lot of these genres that have been successfully Kickstarted. Look at the insane success that was Star Citizen. There isn't any game like that, and even in the genre it is an evolution of, the only space sims that had been getting made for the past 10+ years are low-budget releases from unknown Eastern European studios. (while sometimes fun in their own right, they are usually really buggy and have terrible translations). Now we've got it, Kinetic Void, Elite: Dangerous, and a few others, which are all wildly different evolutionary paths of the space sim genre (and it's about goddamn time!)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Let's just hope other devs take the hint and consider at least variations of those genres.

Mordaedil posted:

At least Left 4 Dead tried to play with the formula and actually had a pretty complex AI simulation, just a shame it sparked a bunch of really cheap copies who tried to ride the zombie wave immensely cheaply.
On the plus side, we at least got Payday: The Heist out of it :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GNERDL might be kind of cool, if it funds. The goal is to create a platform-agnostic gamer network, whilst avoiding the bullshit typically associated with such things.

So kind of like Raptr, but not designed to appeal to frat boys or to sell you things.

(the person making this is in my town; it bubbled up in a local gamedev list)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Mimic posted:

I made it about that far. When it became a dialogue between two characters, it was too painful to watch. It's like they're reading fanfiction. About their own game.

I made it to 5:20, because my friend who watched the whole awful video made it to 5:20 and told me to at least watch to that point. And...boy, was it...something.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Shalinor posted:

GNERDL might be kind of cool, if it funds. The goal is to create a platform-agnostic gamer network, whilst avoiding the bullshit typically associated with such things.

That does sound pretty cool but I'm wary of pledging. I've never used Indie Gogo before and don't they still get the money even if it's not successful? I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere :shrug:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I've never used Indie Gogo before and don't they still get the money even if it's not successful? I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere :shrug:
The little bit that says "Flexible Funding campaign" means that GNERDL will work that way. There are many projects that are on indiegogo that say "Fixed Funding campaign" which means it works like Kickstarter. Also sometimes Flexible Funding campaigns will be set up in such a way that it's reasonable to say "you still get the goodies even if we don't hit the goal", and then it's up to you as to whether or not you trust them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

helopticor posted:

The little bit that says "Flexible Funding campaign" means that GNERDL will work that way. There are many projects that are on indiegogo that say "Fixed Funding campaign" which means it works like Kickstarter. Also sometimes Flexible Funding campaigns will be set up in such a way that it's reasonable to say "you still get the goodies even if we don't hit the goal", and then it's up to you as to whether or not you trust them.

Ah right. That clears it up perfectly. Thank you

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

So kind of like Raptr, but not designed to appeal to frat boys or to sell you things.

(the person making this is in my town; it bubbled up in a local gamedev list)

Sweet flexible funding on indiegogo! Looks like they've already made $625.

Did they offer a reason behind using indiegogo as opposed to kickstarter? They're obviously US based if they're from your hometown.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Sweet flexible funding on indiegogo! Looks like they've already made $625.

Did they offer a reason behind using indiegogo as opposed to kickstarter? They're obviously US based if they're from your hometown.
None whatsoever. I'm intending to point that out to her. Her funding model combined with the high-for-that-site goal basically guarantees it won't fund, no matter how cool it may look. Which is a shame.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shalinor posted:

None whatsoever. I'm intending to point that out to her. Her funding model combined with the high-for-that-site goal basically guarantees it won't fund, no matter how cool it may look. Which is a shame.

Using flexible funding guarantees that they will get at least a free $625, so I'm sure they're feeling alright. Kickstarter doesn't offer flexible funding so I imagine that's why they choose Indiegogo.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Can you withdraw from flexible funding pledges before the end of the funding drive or are you locked in as soon as you pledge?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Can you withdraw from flexible funding pledges before the end of the funding drive or are you locked in as soon as you pledge?

Pledging deducts money immediately; you're locked in.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Jeez that is shady.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Jeez that is shady.
There's a reason people get extremely suspicious of indiegogo flex funding campaigns.

... and it's that.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Two orders of magnitude more than 1.1M isn't 3M, it's 110M. I would decimate my pledge to his KS, if I was a backer.

I should clarify he meant in terms of the amount of money the kickstarter was making per day, so where he got about $75,000 on the first day he was hoping for something more like Project Eternity where it got a full million in the first day, or at least looked like it was unambiguously going to get there soon.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Jeez that is shady.

Doesn't seem any worse than having a "Donate!" Paypal button on your website. Better, even.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

XboxPants posted:

Doesn't seem any worse than having a "Donate!" Paypal button on your website. Better, even.

It's less credible to me because it's wrapped up in the format of rewards and the idea of there being a certain amount of volume to make something happen. Most projects, before asking for donations, get together a fair bit to show for their efforts. They don't ask for donations cause they have an idea, whereas crowdfunding campaigns are often about marketing an 'idea', and the premise that you are capable of delivering that idea. Not to say that's all of them, some very much have a lot of work to show before they put it out there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zereth posted:

There's a reason people get extremely suspicious of indiegogo flex funding campaigns.

... and it's that.

I don't really see why people are suspicious of it to be honest. It's a pretty blatant thing to do.

Incidentally flexible funding campaigns on indiegogo have to pay a higher fee on funds received before they reach the goal amount, although they'll get a refund for those fees if they reach their goal. Indiegogo takes a 9% fee on all funds contributed before the goal is reached on flexible funding, and switches to 4% once you're over the funding goal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Original_Z posted:

Either way, I decided to download their other game and the installer is full of trojans which hijacked my browser and wanted to put in a bunch of adware BS on my computer. Looking online on how to fix it just gave me a bunch of shady websites which barely gave any help and wanted you to download some poo poo to fix things, which makes me wonder if it's all just a big scam. Took me awhile to finally get all of that crap off, needless to say it kind of killed any goodwill I had toward the project.

What other game is this, if I may ask?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Most projects, before asking for donations, get together a fair bit to show for their efforts. They don't ask for donations cause they have an idea, whereas crowdfunding campaigns are often about marketing an 'idea', and the premise that you are capable of delivering that idea.

I suppose I can see where you are coming from. I was thinking that someone could just as well make a website with a Paypal button as they could put up an IGG flex funding campaign. But that's not quite right. While they could put up their own website, a service like IGG certainly makes it easier. Yeah, if someone wanted to run a low-effort scam, IGG would probably be on the list of possible avenues. From that perspective, I think I can agree with you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Well, I sympathize with that, then, but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't make me any more interested in buying zombie games. And I still think that if they found some way to make similar games but with different settings or enemies(or no "enemies" per se) they would have something more marketable and more interesting. I don't take the huge glut of extremely low budget games featuring zombies to be indicative of the fact that someone is actually buying them, for instance.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

CommissarMega posted:

What other game is this, if I may ask?

Their other Vacant Sky game or whatever, it's available on their main website. Sure hope the pennies they get by selling out their installer to spyware is worth it!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
A new project looking nice, Garry's Incident : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exatogames/day-one-garrys-incident-0?ref=email also only asking for 50k which seem correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPnlMLHd-s

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

XboxPants posted:

The problem for me is that Indiegogo is likely to be seen through the lense of the much more popular Kickstarter where your pledges are not taken until a project is funded, they should make it much clearer what "flexible funding" means. Of course one should do due diligence and find this out but still, that you have to do some research to realise something is shady doesn't stop it from being so.

The comparison with having a donate button on your website is not one I buy into for a couple of reasons. First, crowdfunding of this time is done under considerable time pressure, encouraging people to donate now to encourage others to do so, donate buttons on websites have no such pressures. Second, these projects often promise stuff to donors that can only be fulfilled if the project is successful whereas donate buttons usually don't make any such promises. Even in Alpha or Beta funding style fundraising efforts you get your key and whatever public build they've released as soon as you pay them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Le0 posted:

A new project looking nice, Garry's Incident : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exatogames/day-one-garrys-incident-0?ref=email also only asking for 50k which seem correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPnlMLHd-s

This looks like it could be interesting. I wish it looked a little better graphics wise, but if everything else comes together well then I won't really care.

quote:

We will deliver a rich plot, twists to the story and most important of all, constant expansions.
Assuming the gameplay is good, I'm hoping they deliver on the story front the most. I was definitely pretty "meh" about the trailer until you suddenly got some kind of magic powers, and I like that drinking gives you some kind of magic eyesight.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I agree that graphically it needs some work, I sent a question to the person asking if they had planned to rework graphics because there is no mention anywhere about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh hey Valdis Story sent out a demo to their backers. Gonna give this thing a shot now.