Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Raffles posted:

Galaxy at peace
Long shots of distant planets and giant space ships
A threat emerges

Um, "fast-paced"?

quote:

THREAT EMERGES IN FIRST SCENE
distant planets and giant space ships EXPLODE
protagonist's life is turned upside-down by cheap emotional event
then, lightsabers
love interest
etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jivjov posted:

There does end up being a genetically modified Ewok that can pilot a shuttle...but he doesn't fly with the Wraiths.

There was definitely a genetically modified Gamorrean pilot. How that thing fit in an X-Wing cockpit I have no idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

There was definitely a genetically modified Gamorrean pilot. How that thing fit in an X-Wing cockpit I have no idea.

I believe the answer is "very carefully". Piggy is the best character, and I was so glad he was the protagonist of Mercy Kill.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If we were to get an eu movie I would only be okay with it if Peter Jackson was making it, and instead of just flashing some weird alien or bounty hunter in our faces and making every frame so dense, just so much going on in them, and then just sell toys of them when no one cares... He would Peter Jackson it up. he would just go full Hobbit and make the three movie into three movies each, each of those movies clocking at three hours, and just indulge fully in flashbacks summarizing highlights of the myths stories they still don't have time to show.

I would like to clarify, since there was some confusion last time: the suggestion of this or Davis croneberg making the movies in their style might be humorous and unlikely, but I am not really being ironic here and suggesting something I think would not be wonderful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Abrams has stated that people shouldn't get too attached to the '15 release date as he'll put it out when he's good and ready.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also, there aren't gonna be any more 3D re-releases of the movies.

Not incredibly broken up about this, honestly; the prequels would probably serve as bad publicity at this point.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 28, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That article is kind of confusingly worded. Do they mean that they are canceling the Episode 2 and 3 rereleases or just that they won't do the OT?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I read it as that they're done with the 3D re-releases period in order to focus everyone's attention on the new trilogy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Cross-Section posted:

I read it as that they're done with the 3D re-releases period in order to focus everyone's attention on the new trilogy.

Good. gently caress all this 3D re-releases nonsense.

However, I will see Jurassic Park in 3D, only to see it in a theater for the first time since I was 11.

Edit: No wait, I was 9 when JP came out... :psyduck:

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 28, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

qntm posted:

Um, "fast-paced"?

Yeah however you want to slice it. This is one of the many reason these guys get picked to make movies and I just get to watch them.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Cross-Section posted:

If they could, Disney would "vault" Star Wars untill the new movies and it would be the best decision regarding Star Wars in many many years.

I doubt we'll see any new licenses sold untill they start ramping up for the new movies, this ofcourse means no more Lego Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was luke-warm on the 3D rereleases of the Prequels, but I was really really looking forward to seeing the Original Trilogy on the big screen again...Seeing the special editions of the OT with my dad when I was 6 is one of my fondest memories.

EDIT: That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some manner of theatrical marathon leading up to Episode VII. 1-3 on a wednesday, 4-6 on thursday, and 7 at midnight that same night maybe.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 29, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trump posted:

this ofcourse means no more Lego Star Wars.

I'm not sure if you meant this as a good or bad thing, but I think it's probably for the best since they pretty much ran that poo poo into the ground.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Disney didn't exactly stop the Marvel licensing money train, so I kinda doubt they'd do the same to Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WickedIcon posted:

Disney didn't exactly stop the Marvel licensing money train, so I kinda doubt they'd do the same to Star Wars.

Yeah in fact a Lego Marvel Super Heroes game was just announced very recently. Even though the Lego games are published by Warner Bros. Disney won't avoid the easy $$$ of a Lego video game+anything popular.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't believe JJ Abrams is going to be directing the star wars movie. I swear to god everything I enjoyed is being :regd08:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently Abrams has stated that people shouldn't get too attached to the '15 release date as he'll put it out when he's good and ready.

There's an article on Aintitcool about it.

I've been trying to wrap my head around exactly how they plan on getting this out by 2015. I imagine visual effects on a project of this scale would take at least a year to do, even with both Bad Robot and ILM working on it. And I'm just assuming JJ would want to use more practical sets than previous iterations, those would take time to construct. If they are aiming for a 2015 release, they would have to most likely start shooting when? This summer? They don't even have a cast announced yet. :psyduck:

This is assuming they even have a script ready, which I doubt since they just hired writers what? A month ago?

I'm curious as to how far ILM is in pre-production considering Lucas told Hamill they were thinking about doing an Episode 7 around a year ago.

Indifferent
Nov 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't believe JJ Abrams is going to be directing the star wars movie. I swear to god everything I enjoyed is being :regd08:

Yeah, because the Star Wars franchise has really been selective with merchandising opportunities.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Wazzit posted:

There's an article on Aintitcool about it.

I've been trying to wrap my head around exactly how they plan on getting this out by 2015. I imagine visual effects on a project of this scale would take at least a year to do, even with both Bad Robot and ILM working on it. And I'm just assuming JJ would want to use more practical sets than previous iterations, those would take time to construct. If they are aiming for a 2015 release, they would have to most likely start shooting when? This summer? They don't even have a cast announced yet. :psyduck:

This is assuming they even have a script ready, which I doubt since they just hired writers what? A month ago?

I'm curious as to how far ILM is in pre-production considering Lucas told Hamill they were thinking about doing an Episode 7 around a year ago.

Well, 2015 could well mean the 2015 holidays, which would give them nearly 3 years from now.

Another thing - does anyone find it odd that they aren't filming the movies all together LotR-style? Normally that would be a huge risk given the possibility of the first movie bombing, but... this is Star Wars. Something tells me they wouldn't have much to worry about, and so they would be left with only the pluses of the method - finishing the trilogy quicker and cheaper with no quality loss.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, 2015 could well mean the 2015 holidays, which would give them nearly 3 years from now.

Another thing - does anyone find it odd that they aren't filming the movies all together LotR-style? Normally that would be a huge risk given the possibility of the first movie bombing, but... this is Star Wars. Something tells me they wouldn't have much to worry about, and so they would be left with only the pluses of the method - finishing the trilogy quicker and cheaper with no quality loss.

No. They're (likely) planning on having different directors on each film. They could be planning on having the stories be slightly more self-contained for each film this time. It takes three times as long to write three movies, and the production time is massively increased as well. If they wanted to do them together, the whole endeavor would have to be pushed back at the very least a year or two from what it's going to be. It might save a bit more money to shoot them all together, but Disney wants to cash in on their big purchase sooner rather than later.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

No. They're (likely) planning on having different directors on each film. They could be planning on having the stories be slightly more self-contained for each film this time. It takes three times as long to write three movies, and the production time is massively increased as well. If they wanted to do them together, the whole endeavor would have to be pushed back at the very least a year or two from what it's going to be. It might save a bit more money to shoot them all together, but Disney wants to cash in on their big purchase sooner rather than later.

Kind of a waste to have self-contained stories when they know the whole trilogy will make bank. That's the rare situation that should be taken advantage of to make a massive, epic 3-film tale without having to make the first film work as a standalone as well in case it fails. And the production time might be increased compared to just one film, but it would be decreased compared to an individually-shot trilogy. And while the Episode VII date might have to be pushed back, they'd likely be able to release them closer together like LotR and finish the entire trilogy sooner. If LotR can start in 1998/1999 (I think) and release on the 2001/2002/2003 holidays, Star Wars could likely start now (or before now, not sure how far into pre-production they are) and release in the Decembers of 2016/2017/2018.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Indifferent posted:

Yeah, because the Star Wars franchise has really been selective with merchandising opportunities.

I'm not sure I understand. I don't give a poo poo about merch, I'm talking about directing quality.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure I understand. I don't give a poo poo about merch, I'm talking about directing quality.

The directing quality hasn't been that much better than the merch.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't believe it either, but because I think the franchise might actually get back on track with him at the helm!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Kind of a waste to have self-contained stories when they know the whole trilogy will make bank.

I don't mean self-contained stories with separate characters and situations in each, I just meant the rejection of the BTTF2/3, Matrix 2/3, Pirates 2/3, etc. style where the films are just one story stretched out too long without proper arcs and endings. Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic; ESB and ROTJ were essentially the pioneers of the cliffhanger sequel, after all. Though ESB still had good emotional arcs and still felt like its own individual film.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

About anyone is a step up from George ""Quit" Directing After New Hope because I'm Bad At It" Lucas.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are you implying this is going to be a step down in directing quality from anything else in the series for the past three decades?

Abrams ain't exactly Malick but he's still a gigantic step up from loving Lucas, who wouldn't know interesting compositions, compelling performances or engaging action if they hit him on the head.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I know Michael Arndt is attached to write the screenplay, but is he starting from scratch and mapping out the next three films or just banging out a script for one film? Who is laying down the road map for the whole trilogy? It seems to be understood that Abrams will probably direct Ep. 7 and then leave the rest to someone else.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If they're not making a Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Academy ft. Kyle Katarn trilogy I'm just not interested.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Raffles posted:

Who is laying down the road map for the whole trilogy?
Lucas has apparently written the treatment.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did this thread fall into an Abrams wormhole and now we're back in 1999? Star Wars has been a smoking crater in the ground for over a decade.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I do wonder if the desire to make three somewhat self contained films is partially due to how the Hobbit might be received. Stretching out such a short story over three films could well backfire and given SW isn't exactly beyond reproach following the prequels Disney will be wanting to avoid more negative association.

Plus as a hedging strategy having three different directors and more self containment seems fairly sound; "That Abrams film wasn't bad but I'm interested to see what direction this other director will Star Wars in."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Raffles posted:

I know Michael Arndt is attached to write the screenplay, but is he starting from scratch and mapping out the next three films or just banging out a script for one film? Who is laying down the road map for the whole trilogy? It seems to be understood that Abrams will probably direct Ep. 7 and then leave the rest to someone else.

Lucas wrote a treatment (which is probably the best role for him), Arndt is writing the script, Abrams is directing, an Kathleen Kennedy is steering the whole ship.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Lucas wrote a treatment (which is probably the best role for him), Arndt is writing the script, Abrams is directing, an Kathleen Kennedy is steering the whole ship.

Has the been any word on whether Lucas' involvement will be limited to just the initial development phase or is he going to be involved in a production or consultancy role as well?

I just want to be safe in the knowledge he's not going to be in production meetings asserting that they simply must have Jar Jar Jr. piloting an X-Wing or some poo poo.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Raffles posted:

I just want to be safe in the knowledge he's not going to be in production meetings asserting that they simply must have Jar Jar Jr. piloting an X-Wing or some poo poo.

The key will be how much power he has now Disney owns the property. If you watch any of the official behinds the scenes stuff for the prequels the sense of his total dominance and his employee's fear is palpable. As long as there are people in position to call him on his poo poo the damage he could do will be much reduced.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The key will be how much power he has now Disney owns the property. If you watch any of the official behinds the scenes stuff for the prequels the sense of his total dominance and his employee's fear is palpable. As long as there are people in position to call him on his poo poo the damage he could do will be much reduced.

"Disney" is not making these movies. They're still being made by Lucasfilm, which is now owned by Disney. The setup seems to be very similar to Pixar. I'm sure that Disney ultimately has the final word, but they don't seem to be getting involved with the nitty-gritty work.

I don't think that he is going to be very involved, but that's less because of Disney owning the company and more about him handing the company over to Kathleen Kennedy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my go-to response to the fears that "Disney will ruin Star Wars" is "Disney owns Marvel, who made Avengers. Defense rests"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

jivjov posted:

Yeah, my go-to response to the fears that "Disney will ruin Star Wars" is "Disney owns Marvel, who made Avengers. Defense rests"

The problem here is that there is a need for Disney to un-ruin something, if they are too hands off and Lucas decides he wants to be hands on there will be a problem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Disney are not the 'hands-off' type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The problem here is that there is a need for Disney to un-ruin something, if they are too hands off and Lucas decides he wants to be hands on there will be a problem.

The deal kind of precludes Lucas from having any real power ever again the way I understand it. I wouldn't worry.

• Locked thread