Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Tobaccrow posted:

Is the NES Power Pad any fun at all, or is it unresponsive poo-poo-butt? They seem to go for pretty cheap.

I remember playing a poo poo ton of Super Team Games on mine when I was a kid (Skateboarding 4 lyfe), but then again, I was, like, 100 pounds lighter and my room was in the basement...

Still, it might be worth buying one just to have in, and as far as all the NES accessories go, it's probably the least offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thanks to everyone last page for helpful advice! I've cleaned up Blast Corps and dug up my Gamecube AV cords to try out my SNES tomorrow.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Can anyone recommend any import sites? I'm starting a Famicom / Super Fam / FDS collection, while I wait for NES / SNES prices to stop being loving retarded / get more money. I tried Rakuten but it's a bit of a mess and hard to read. Found a few others that look interesting, but would prefer to buy from places people have used before. Also found my old Wheel Of Time Poster that came with the game. It's currently sitting under a bunch of Retro Gamer magazines to flatten out. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well....

I did it. I ordered a XRGB-Mini. I paid $335 dollars to Amazon.co.jp. Expect to pay another 30-40 to Tenso for shipping out to the US.

What have I done. :ohdear:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

h_double posted:

Well true, those kinds of design elements change over time, just like how books or movies get re-released with different cover art all the time. I can't buy a Blu-Ray disc of Star Wars with the original theatrical poster as the cover art, but I can go to a movie poster archive site and look at a reproduction. Everything might not be commercially available, but if something is interesting, there's still a good chance it'll get preserved for the historical record (e.g. all the old-timey films and recordings on archive.org).
You're missing what he's saying: Remember when bands like public enemy hid secret songs that you had to rewind to before the first track to hear? You can't read that pre-gap data anymore, even though your new CD player is indeed a CD player. He's saying that there will be information lost when the format is updated, which certainly will happen. The odds that the Star Wars disk of the future will have the old menu navigated with enter and arrow buttons are slim.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Tyson Tomko posted:

I bought an official Hudson one last year for $15ish and thought it jumping up that high sounded crazy but not impossible. I just checked ebay completed auctions and there's a ton of them recently for $25-$35, so you should be ready to rock.

Frick! You're right. I must've checked Ebay at a bad time becausethe last time I looked the cheapest one came from Japan and cost like $60 after shipping.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kynikos posted:

On the bottom right of the board there should be some numbers under the Sega logo. Mine says VA4 at the end, has the Sony encoder, and the holes in the shielding when viewed from the bottom. Perhaps the location is different on other revisions?

Geez so it seems like my guide in the OP isn't even useful. I wish the OP in the Sega-16 forums would update the OP because I'd feel pretty guilty having people buy a VA4.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well....

I did it. I ordered a XRGB-Mini. I paid $335 dollars to Amazon.co.jp. Expect to pay another 30-40 to Tenso for shipping out to the US.

You spent $150 less than me and is what you did you son of bich

edit: Seriously though can you provide a link so I can add it to the OP so people don't pay ~$425 from Solaris Japan?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 29, 2013

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

edit: Seriously though can you provide a link so I can add it to the OP so people don't pay ~$425 from Solaris Japan?

I just had a look myself and yeah, looks like you can get it for far cheaper from here. 8-bit also mentioned Tenso which I guess would be required to order from the Japanese Amazon? I'm not sure, I've never used a mail forwarding service before.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Xik posted:

I just had a look myself and yeah, looks like you can get it for far cheaper from here. 8-bit also mentioned Tenso which I guess would be required to order from the Japanese Amazon? I'm not sure, I've never used a mail forwarding service before.

amazon.co.jp doesn't ship to the US so you have to use a forwarding service, and Tenso is the only one I've ever heard of people using.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:stare: Jesus I'm half-tempted to bid on one of these things just to piss my partner off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLE-SALE-FAMICOM-170-GREAT-LOT-JP-IMPORT-/310574776786

Why can't they do that in America? God drat cheap asses.

Also the VA4 Genesis model 2 is the best version you could have... It's the VA3 that is a pile of dogshit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HKR posted:

amazon.co.jp doesn't ship to the US so you have to use a forwarding service, and Tenso is the only one I've ever heard of people using.

It actually depends on what you're ordering; I order DVDs from them semi-regularly and they ship overseas, but force you to use a fast service so it tacks on 2000 yen to every order. They don't normally ship video games and electronics internationally, though, so that would require a service like Tenso.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

:stare: Jesus I'm half-tempted to bid on one of these things just to piss my partner off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLE-SALE-FAMICOM-170-GREAT-LOT-JP-IMPORT-/310574776786

That's the junk that's worth around 100 yen each and we don't want to take the time trying to deal with individual pieces bundle. There's a few guys who do those.

H1KE posted:

Can anyone recommend any import sites? I'm starting a Famicom / Super Fam / FDS collection, while I wait for NES / SNES prices to stop being loving retarded / get more money. I tried Rakuten but it's a bit of a mess and hard to read. Found a few others that look interesting, but would prefer to buy from places people have used before. Also found my old Wheel Of Time Poster that came with the game. It's currently sitting under a bunch of Retro Gamer magazines to flatten out. :v:

We discussed this a few days ago, but it's really hard to beat Amazon.co.jp's marketplace for sheer shopping convenience for the overseas buyers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

We discussed this a few days ago, but it's really hard to beat Amazon.co.jp's marketplace for sheer shopping convenience for the overseas buyers.

I checked this out and found something hilarious that I demand an explanation to:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E...59469735&sr=8-1

Why is the soundtrack for Super Mario RPG over $700?! Did they print, like, six of them?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I checked this out and found something hilarious that I demand an explanation to:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E...59469735&sr=8-1

Why is the soundtrack for Super Mario RPG over $700?! Did they print, like, six of them?

The Donkey Kong Country soundtrack goes for like $150 on eBay which sucks because I bought it from the Nintendo Super Power Club for like $12 back in 1994 or so.

It literally does not matter that you can download MP3s of the soundtrack; or SPC files that in size can fit on a floppy disk several dozen times. Doesn't even matter that I'm 95% sure Nintendo would not care if people play the soundtrack on the radio. I bet a movie could have the DKC music playing in the background without their permission and Nintendo wouldn't sue for licensing fees. Yet the drat thing goes for $150 on eBay. People just want rare stuff.

Case-in-point: there's an N64 game that goes for over $200 on eBay, simply because it's in grey plastic (the normal color) instead of black:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-64...=item3f1ee30adf

flyboi posted:

Any scumbag anti-marriage equality retro gamers listen up: they have the same problems we do :unsmith:

flyboi posted:

Also the VA4 Genesis model 2 is the best version you could have... It's the VA3 that is a pile of dogshit.

Weird! I was just reading the VA4 was the piece of poo poo. drat you Sega :argh:

I've been sitting on this small mobo Model 2 for ages now; I still don't know if it's a good one or not!

Also I have a model 1 Genesis that has two switches on the back. Is it typical for one switch to be for PAL/NTSC and for one to be region? Or is it usually one switch does both?

I ask because I also have another model 1 Genesis with two switches on the back, except that one is an overclock on/off mod (DO NOT DO THIS MOD, IT IS POINTLESS IMHO AND WILL gently caress YO SEGA CD UP!!) i think but i can at least verify the sega cd will get the wrong voltage from the expansion pin and will not boot also i had a sega cd that literally jjjjjs himself couldn't fix but maybe i'm wrong who knows. What would be the easiest way to verify what the two mystery switches on the back of my second model 1 would be? I do not own any Japanese or PAL games, and I gave my flashcart away to iastudent out of goonerocity. I am guessing opening this thing up is the only way?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You are correct, you must open it up.

The reason why VA4 is the best is because it has discreet audio circuitry so it has the "best" audio without doing the crystal clear audio mod and has video on par to the model 1 genesis. If you're sperg enough to do the crystal clear mod then the earlier revisions are better, but only one of them that can has the sony decoder in it so really it's up to "what do you want?" Also the audio mod doesn't work with scd or 32x.

I can't think of what the switches would be aside from overclock and region changer for NA/JP. Alternatively they could be language + pal/ntsc switches, but yes you would have to open it up to find out.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Case-in-point: there's an N64 game that goes for over $200 on eBay, simply because it's in grey plastic (the normal color) instead of black:

Someone overpaid... http://www.ebay.com/itm/N64-Turok-R...271101135583%26

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

You are correct, you must open it up.

The reason why VA4 is the best is because it has discreet audio circuitry so it has the "best" audio without doing the crystal clear audio mod and has video on par to the model 1 genesis. If you're sperg enough to do the crystal clear mod then the earlier revisions are better, but only one of them that can has the sony decoder in it so really it's up to "what do you want?" Also the audio mod doesn't work with scd or 32x.

I can't think of what the switches would be aside from overclock and region changer for NA/JP. Alternatively they could be language + pal/ntsc switches, but yes you would have to open it up to find out.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm

Thanks! I did not know there was such a thing as a language switch. That's probably all it is then.

Also why the hell does a 32x render the audio mod useless? I thought the 32x only a messes with the video outputs. Does that mean if I have a good model 1 but I am using a 32x, the fact that the particular Genesis has a good audio chip is meaningless?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Thanks! I did not know there was such a thing as a language switch. That's probably all it is then.

Also why the hell does a 32x render the audio mod useless? I thought the 32x only a messes with the video outputs. Does that mean if I have a good model 1 but I am using a 32x, the fact that the particular Genesis has a good audio chip is meaningless?

Because with how the crystal clear audio mod works it can't mix with the 32x/scd outputs as it bypasses some stuff. Honestly, unless you're really a massive sperg the mod is not worth the time considering the complexity and if you care that much just get a HDG model 1.

But if you're interested, here's a comparison of the audio on a VA1 pre/post crystal clear mod. Note: this mod doesn't work on VA3 or VA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMes1N-M2z0

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well....

:getin:

That's definitely a good price.

I paid over $500 shipped for mine, when all was said and done (I sprung for the 2 day UPS express). I also bought the component to dterminal adapter as well.

Also, make sure you buy the adapter that converts euro scart into jp rgb that the xrgb expects.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Donkey Kong Country soundtrack goes for like $150 on eBay which sucks because I bought it from the Nintendo Super Power Club for like $12 back in 1994 or so.

It literally does not matter that you can download MP3s of the soundtrack; or SPC files that in size can fit on a floppy disk several dozen times. Doesn't even matter that I'm 95% sure Nintendo would not care if people play the soundtrack on the radio. I bet a movie could have the DKC music playing in the background without their permission and Nintendo wouldn't sue for licensing fees. Yet the drat thing goes for $150 on eBay. People just want rare stuff.

To back this up and to sum it up, this is just one of the kinds of hobbies where having something rare and unique is worth more than actually enjoying the product itself. People pay so they can have something they believe very few other people have.

Retro videogames as a hobby is all about spending mad cash. It's why our emoticon is a burning money bill. Playing the games themselves is a secondary benefit.

You can see the same thing with movies, music or books. Cars even?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well....

:retrogames::hf::retrogames:

Though now I feel dumb for not thinking of checking Amazon and using a reshipper. $335 is a fantastic price for one of those, especially brand new. You may want to consider getting a US power supply for it or a step-down converter, though, since while the included 100V supply can technically accept 120V power, it's running very close to the tolerance threshold, which means it ends up getting very warm.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

You spent $150 less than me and is what you did you son of bich

Neat. Xik beat me to posting it.

Xik posted:

HKR posted:

univbee posted:

It actually depends on what you're ordering; I order DVDs from them semi-regularly and they ship overseas, but force you to use a fast service so it tacks on 2000 yen to every order. They don't normally ship video games and electronics internationally, though, so that would require a service like Tenso.

For small things Amazon Japan will ship out things internationally if they are shipping it and not a marketplace seller. I checked to see if I could use my US address first before using Tenso.

I went with Tenso because they charge by weight instead of cost of an item which is what other proxy services use. It's run by Rakuten so I didn't have much of a qualm of using it. I also delved into more Import and Customs Duties rules and regulations than any person would want to. I shouldn't be paying anything due to the classification of the item and the good trade relationship between the US and Japan. Tenso won't fib on a customs form like Solaris, but I expect that's more for other countries. One caveat is that you're buying it on your own card instead of putting down a deposit like Celga does it. Not a major issue but a quick call to your bank or credit card operator to let the charge through will be all you need.

fatpat268 posted:

:getin:

That's definitely a good price.

I paid over $500 shipped for mine, when all was said and done (I sprung for the 2 day UPS express). I also bought the component to dterminal adapter as well.

Also, make sure you buy the adapter that converts euro scart into jp rgb that the xrgb expects.

I'm aware, I've been doing a lot of prepurchase research. I'm not hooking it up anytime soon until I get that cable from ebay and a D-Terminal/Component cable from Solaris.

Kreeblah posted:

Though now I feel dumb for not thinking of checking Amazon and using a reshipper. $335 is a fantastic price for one of those, especially brand new. You may want to consider getting a US power supply for it or a step-down converter, though, since while the included 100V supply can technically accept 120V power, it's running very close to the tolerance threshold, which means it ends up getting very warm.

Any suggestions for a US power supply? I'd imagine a stepdown is pricier.

Edit: Honestly the only hard part was figuring how to input the Japanese address Tenso gives you to put into Amazon. They give it to you in a string so I had to do a quick Google search to figure out what goes where.

Edit #2: Glad to pilot this for others like I did with Rakuten, remember? :v:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 29, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

Though now I feel dumb for not thinking of checking Amazon and using a reshipper. $335 is a fantastic price for one of those, especially brand new.

Is that the price ($335) including the reshipper's commission or whatever?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just a head's up; I was called a sperg for buying an inverter for my XRGB Mini (I put in a power strip since it will do 300W and it also powers my AV Famicom and Famicom Disk System at the Japanese standard, as well).

Believe it or not they are very cheap! Definitely cheaper than rebuying power supplies for your Japanese systems/accessories:

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/disk-system-power-adaptor/
(this is the recommended model)

Lookit how cheap! :neckbeard: :

http://www.adaptelec.com/powerbright-vc100j-stepupstepdown-voltage-transformer-for-japan-100-watt-capacity-p-55.html

http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100J

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Honestly the only hard part was figuring how to input the Japanese address Tenso gives you to put into Amazon. They give it to you in a string so I had to do a quick Google search to figure out what goes where.

Edit #2: Glad to pilot this for others like I did with Rakuten, remember? :v:

It's a 5v 2.3 Amp psu. It's not an uncommon PSU at all to find in 120v, however, the tip isn't common, as far as I know.

So, for now, I'm not worried about it. The PSU doesn't get that hot for me, and I'm not buying an stedown transformer. But, if I find the correct psu or an adapter for the tip, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, here's a pic of the remote translated. I forget where I found it, as it was hard to find in the first place, so I reuploaded it.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 29, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Is that the price ($335) including the reshipper's commission or whatever?

Just a head's up; I was called a sperg for buying an inverter for my XRGB Mini (I put in a power strip since it will do 300W and it also powers my AV Famicom and Famicom Disk System at the Japanese standard, as well).

Believe it or not they are very cheap! Definitely cheaper than rebuying power supplies for your Japanese systems/accessories:

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/disk-system-power-adaptor/
(this is the recommended model)

Lookit how cheap! :neckbeard: :

http://www.adaptelec.com/powerbright-vc100j-stepupstepdown-voltage-transformer-for-japan-100-watt-capacity-p-55.html

http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100J

$335 is what Amazon Japan is charging me through their exchange rate. I expect another 30-40 bucks based on weight to cover Tenso's postage and usage fee.

I'll take a look. I'm not too concerned about the power honestly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

Because with how the crystal clear audio mod works it can't mix with the 32x/scd outputs as it bypasses some stuff. Honestly, unless you're really a massive sperg the mod is not worth the time considering the complexity and if you care that much just get a HDG model 1.

But if you're interested, here's a comparison of the audio on a VA1 pre/post crystal clear mod. Note: this mod doesn't work on VA3 or VA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMes1N-M2z0

So how does that compare to the way the VA4 sounds unmodified?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

It's a 5v 2.3 Amp psu. It's not an uncommon PSU at all to find in 120v, however, the tip isn't common, as far as I know.

So, for now, I'm not worried about it. The PSU doesn't get that hot for me, and I'm not buying an stedown transformer. But, if I find the correct psu or an adapter for the tip, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, here's a pic of the remote translated. I forget where I found it, as it was hard to find in the first place, so I reuploaded it.

That would be from Fudoh's site. I did a lot of research before plunking down the money.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 29, 2013

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Geez so it seems like my guide in the OP isn't even useful. I wish the OP in the Sega-16 forums would update the OP because I'd feel pretty guilty having people buy a VA4.

I checked my Model 2 last night since it was already unpacked. I wish that OP on the forums had a schematic plotted out so I could have found the video encoder faster. That way the search for what ultimately was a Samsung encoder would have been less painful :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I want a remote with an anime button.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Who knows a lot about plastics, maybe we can make English overlays for the remotes and sell them. :getin: :retrogames:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That would be from Fudoh's site. I did a lot of research before plunking down the money.

Ah, yes.

His site could use some SERIOUS organization (and links), because god drat it's a chore to find anything on that site. Using google searches, I kept running across the xrgb-3 remote translation, but not the mini. So when I finally found the mini translation, I saved it to my dropbox.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Who knows a lot about plastics, maybe we can make English overlays for the remotes and sell them. :getin: :retrogames:

It wouldn't be too terribly difficult if someone had a professional vinyl printer and cutter.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I linked the one I use on the wiki a while back. Long story short, while center positive supplies are easy enough to find, it's surprisingly hard to find one that'll deliver at least 2.3A at 5V (most of 'em seem to want to do that at 12V or 15V), let alone one that'll do that and has a 4.0/1.7mm barrel.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

elf help book posted:

I want a remote with an anime button.
I'm more curious about what "master" entails. One video mode to rule them all!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

It's the VA3 that is a pile of dogshit.

Unless the samsung encoder is loving with the rgb output (the va2.3, which could have either of those encoders from what I've read, had wonderful, jailbar free rgb output,) who careeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 29, 2013

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

I'm more curious about what "master" entails. One video mode to rule them all!

quote:

From the number of processing modes, the new Marvell QDEO Kyoto G2 processor inside the Framemeister seemed a bit complicated, but most of the processing modes available turned out to be same with just minor differences in color saturation. Standard is a motion- and pixel-adaptive deinterlacer suited for 480i and 1080i material. Movie, Anime and Natural use the same deinterlacing setting. Anime's simply boosting the saturation and contrast. Game1, Game2 and Master modes are using a more simple, field-based deinterlacing mode, which comes with a bit of vertical screen shake (typical Bob'ing effect). Game1 uses the standard color settings, Game2 uses the Anime color settings and Master adds scanlines to the Game1 mode. Picture is a 2:2 deinterlacing mode for static images. Given that the Marvell processor is quite powerful (it's the same processor used in the highly-praised Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player), it's a shame that Micomsoft didn't include filmmode deinterlacing for 3:2 sources.

Full review and info on fudoh's site.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

The reason why VA4 is the best is because it has discreet audio circuitry so it has the "best" audio without doing the crystal clear audio mod and has video on par to the model 1 genesis.

Actually, this part isn't correct. It's an ASIC audio model, but it has the closest balance to the Model 1's you can get without doing any modding.
The video should be slightly -better- than the Model 1's, since a VA 4 always has the CXA1645 encoder.

It's VA 2.0 and VA 2.3 that have the discreet audio circuits but a really bad mixing, repairable by replacing some resistors, resulting in a sound exactly the same as a Model 1.
But trying to get one of these with a CXA1645 is all about luck, and you maximize your chances by only going for "Made In China" ones.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mine's a Model 2 full-board, apparently a VA1 or VA1.8. Can't tell what encoder I've got yet as I don't have my tools with me. :shobon: However, it puts out a great picture compared to my previous Model 2!

Also, it's a Made in Japan model! :pwn:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kramdar posted:

I checked my Model 2 last night since it was already unpacked. I wish that OP on the forums had a schematic plotted out so I could have found the video encoder faster. That way the search for what ultimately was a Samsung encoder would have been less painful :(

Asbrandt posted:

Actually, this part isn't correct. It's an ASIC audio model, but it has the closest balance to the Model 1's you can get without doing any modding.
The video should be slightly -better- than the Model 1's, since a VA 4 always has the CXA1645 encoder.

It's VA 2.0 and VA 2.3 that have the discreet audio circuits but a really bad mixing, repairable by replacing some resistors, resulting in a sound exactly the same as a Model 1.
But trying to get one of these with a CXA1645 is all about luck, and you maximize your chances by only going for "Made In China" ones.

I would love to update the OP with what the good model 2 Genesis has inside it but holy :psyduck: my head hurts.

Short motherboard? Shore motherboard but with notches? Without notches? VA3 with a certain encoder? VA3 without a certain encoder? VA4 with a certain encoder? VA4 without a certain encoder?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

JJJJJS posted:

These are super helpful. Some work, some aren't feasible unfortunately. As a customer I like being hands on as well but it's something that we can't do. One of the local stores addressed it by having actual boxes out on the floor with the carts behind the counter. Unfortunately most of their boxes have been stolen. People suck sometimes.

I recently boxed up my older games with UGCs and inserts from the Cover Project, and its a huge improvement being able to browse through them on a shelf.

Someone already mentioned selling UGCs, but using them with cover art inserts would be an inexpensive way to display valuable games while keeping the carts behind the counter. I'm not too familiar with the copyright details, but if you customize the box art on the insert, you may be able to sell it with the game.

I found that I'm more interested in playing a game that is boxed on a shelf instead of just the cart, and friends ask to look at the game boxes when they stop by. If nothing else, it would be a great way to advertise just by putting the store's name and contact info on the inside of the insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I would love to update the OP with what the good model 2 Genesis has inside it but holy :psyduck: my head hurts.

Short motherboard? Shore motherboard but with notches? Without notches? VA3 with a certain encoder? VA3 without a certain encoder? VA4 with a certain encoder? VA4 without a certain encoder?

The good Model 2 is the Model 1.

• Locked thread