Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Zwabu posted:

If you complete the main story, and/or liberate all the outposts and towers (and the Wanted: Dead quests), are there any human opponents that respawn anyplace you can fight?

Or is the game over, except killing some animals, without any kind of sandbox mode to play with all your skills and weapons acquired? (Thank you very much, console ports with only two savegame slots!)

It's pretty much game over. Barring any DLC...
A map with no red areas or blue icons on it is a sad sad thing.

Edit: yeah, I'm stuck on console too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Zwabu posted:

I have a question: If you complete the main story, and/or liberate all the outposts and towers (and the Wanted: Dead quests), are there any human opponents that respawn anyplace you can fight?

You can still find some pirates on the first island in areas like docks off the riverways and the ocean. There's also couple of story mission areas that are similar to outposts (but not actually outposts) where they will spawn. Mercenaries will still spawn in some areas like the helicopter base at the end of the story missions. There's not that many enemies, though, and while they respawn fairly fast after you kill them, it's not enough to really have a whole lot of fun with.

Also regarding stuff about unlocking skills earlier: Not all skill unlocks are tied to story progression, for example some skills only unlock if you use an earlier version of them, like the double death from below takedown will only unlock if you do the single death from below takedown. There's other more specific examples but I can't remember them right now.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

foozwak posted:

You can still find some pirates on the first island in areas like docks off the riverways and the ocean. There's also couple of story mission areas that are similar to outposts (but not actually outposts) where they will spawn. Mercenaries will still spawn in some areas like the helicopter base at the end of the story missions. There's not that many enemies, though, and while they respawn fairly fast after you kill them, it's not enough to really have a whole lot of fun with.

Also regarding stuff about unlocking skills earlier: Not all skill unlocks are tied to story progression, for example some skills only unlock if you use an earlier version of them, like the double death from below takedown will only unlock if you do the single death from below takedown. There's other more specific examples but I can't remember them right now.

For me, the Death from Above skill was glitched for a while. I had to get 7 or 8 kills before the game decided to give me credit for one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

foozwak posted:

Skills will show whether they require a prerequisite (10 pistol kills for the Gun Takedown for example), story progress ("do more missions!") or both on the description.

So, for instance, the Adrenaline Surge skill (heal twice as fast) requires 3 Supply Drop missions completed. It used to list both that requirement and the need to do more missions but now that I've done the supply drops, it only says I just need to do more missions/advance further in the story.

So I'm only locked out by advancing the story on a handful of skills that I want: Ninja, Heavy Takedown, Adrenaline Surge, Gun Takedown etc. Apparently once I've entered the southern island and done like one mission I will have access to all the skills.

Once I've started a main story mission, if I don't like my gear loadout, is there any way to cancel? Do you just use a store or vending machine and it fails the mission and brings you back to where you were before?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm occasionally having some trouble because Jason seems to be less sturdy than the Far Cry 2 characters on Normal - while there I could, in a pinch, sprint up to a guy and machete his face in, trying it in this game gets me bowled over and shot. I'll adjust though.

I actually find poking around WWII ruins, roaming cross country towards distant towers and hunting with bow and arrow to be more entertaining than the gun fights with pirates right now, but once I get some skills to make stealth a bit easier I'm sure I'll come around.

If you didn't already, try buying the marksman scope for the bow, it helps quite a lot getting long range kills. As socialsecurity said, getting japanese soldier letters will net you a new machete that will one hit kill most pirates. I used a decent weapon setup for stealth kills (and outpost clearing) with the bow, suppressed M70 (AMR later on), suppressed MP5 (then vector) and the shadow (signature 1911 with extended mags, suppressor and red dot). I ended just using the AMR and bow then the SPAS and flamethrower for a more... fun approach.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Once I've started a main story mission, if I don't like my gear loadout, is there any way to cancel? Do you just use a store or vending machine and it fails the mission and brings you back to where you were before?

There's an "abandon quest" option in the menu. I believe it can be used for any mission, side or story, even supply drops. It basically just loads most recent save before you took on a mission.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I ended up just throwing molotov's everywhere after sniping a few easy to hit enemies and letting the wild animals out. Does it quite quickly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If you get an achievement while doing a mission (say you blew up four guys with a grenade for the first time or something), but then you fail or quit out of the mission without completing it, do you retain credit for the achievement (i.e. is it logged in immediately when it happens) or is it only recorded at the successful completion of a mission?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Once you get the notification that you did an achievement, you'll retain the credit for it on the account for whatever platform (uPlay, Xbox, PS3, steam, etc). In some games that have achievements based on missions (Complete level X for example), they might credit you sometime after finishing a level, but once you see any notification or popup, you don't have to worry

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't think of a single game that takes away your achievements. As soon as that notification pops up, it's yours to keep, even if you start over and pretend you're in a parallel universe where you never sniped that one guy with a bow from over 70m.

Pointwise at least. I know there's some games that have perks based on unlocking an achievement, and that might be more per save file kind of thing.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can I "farm" an outpost for XP without finishing it off? For instance by killing a few of the pirates and then running away? Will it repopulate those pirates and consider my attack on the base as new if I come back and take it over? Or if I set off an alarm or was detected on an earlier visit, do I forever lose a chance to get the "undetected" XP bonus for that outpost?

The main reason why I ask is that I really enjoy creeping around doing takedowns and such, on outposts or the better designed mission levels, and it makes me sad that I will run out of all this.

For instance, I really enjoyed the mission where you rescue the Rakyat warriors, at the end where you have to get to the helipad and get on the helicopter, it's tailor made for practicing death from below takedowns and the like. But, since I can't hang onto a savegame at the start of that level, the best I can hope for is if I find a well designed outpost that I enjoy and "farm" it for kills and fun without finishing off everyone.

Just for reference, I just discovered that the point JUST before you go down to the South island is where all skills become unlocked by the story. Right after I killed Vaas and completed the Ink Giant fight, the remaining 12 or 13 skills that were locked up suddenly became free, I'm pretty sure it was before I even got to the southern island.

Using the Heavy Takedown for the first time was so, so very satisfying.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get into the Vaas compound on the Northeastern island after you complete the mission there? I made a few visits there before I ever got to that mission and it always had a fair number of pirates, but no access to climb or enter the compound. At the time of the actual mission there was a rope or something placed there that you could climb to get entry, I'm pretty certain it was not there pre-mission. I even tried getting there by glider, but a mysterious downdraft pushes my glider down every time to where I don't have the altitude to get inside.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There are a few spots in the game where enemies always spawn, usually places where story missions happen. Places that work pretty well are the spot where Vaas was storing weapons that you blow up, the drug fields you burn to dubstep music and the docks where you snipe people to rescue the guy with the baseball cap. You don't even have to leave them for the enemies to respawn, most of the time just walking from one side of the general area to the other is enough to reset the spawns. Or if you camp outside them, as long as you are about ~80-100 meters away pirates will endlessly spawn pretty much as quickly as you can snipe them, and from that far away they can't even shoot back. (Although sniping from that kind of range is not practical unless you are on the PC and can mod up the range of player weapons to actually reach that far, otherwise everything but the 30 rounds max you can carry for sniper rifles simply ceases to exist beyond 60 meters.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've found an extremely annoying bug in the map editor (PS3) where it will suddenly decide that ladders are below ground level (when they aren't) and refuse to validate the map, even though it was perfectly happy with them earlier. On one map I made I had to quit the whole game and reload before the issue disappeared, but on another not only did ladders that had been fine before now still fail validation even after a reload, but deleting them and replacing them with new ones caused the same problem. The only way to fix it was to raise the ladders six feet off the ground, which wasn't quite what I was after. :argh:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Zwabu posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to get into the Vaas compound on the Northeastern island after you complete the mission there? I made a few visits there before I ever got to that mission and it always had a fair number of pirates, but no access to climb or enter the compound. At the time of the actual mission there was a rope or something placed there that you could climb to get entry, I'm pretty certain it was not there pre-mission. I even tried getting there by glider, but a mysterious downdraft pushes my glider down every time to where I don't have the altitude to get inside.

Huh. I went there right after I killed Vaas, to check whether I could get back in that one building and see the body because I am a giant fangirl, and that particular space was closed. I'm pretty sure I just went right back in the same way I did during the mission, climbing up the same way. I even accidentally shot a Rakyat that was hanging around there and had to take down like four them when they all aggroed.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Can I "farm" an outpost for XP without finishing it off? For instance by killing a few of the pirates and then running away? Will it repopulate those pirates and consider my attack on the base as new if I come back and take it over? Or if I set off an alarm or was detected on an earlier visit, do I forever lose a chance to get the "undetected" XP bonus for that outpost?

There really isn't any need to grind. The game hands out plenty of XP.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay, I figured out a really fun way to play.

I've just gotten over to the Southern island and done the first mission there and stopped for now. I have not taken over any outposts in the Southern Island. In the North I've taken over everything but two outposts and have decided to leave those for now.

What I am doing is taking radio towers only and making a point to get all the relics and letters. I already have almost all of them from the North. In the South, just going to get one or at most two relics is a MAJOR challenge and a tense mission all its own. 99 percent of the challenge is getting to the site alive, and figuring out what the right path is to the relic while trying to steer clear of pirates or get some nice kills and takedowns when possible. The South island is basically teeming with the yellow mercenary pirates, so I have to plan very very carefully getting from point A to point B. I'm going in stealth mode with quiet kills except when I get detected and have to throw down, but just throwing down willy nilly with grenades and shotguns is a bad idea when you are fighting cars full of mercs, at least the South island ones are really prompt about sending reinforcements when poo poo goes down, so quiet kills are definitely better.

The game feels totally different when every where you go you might be run down by a patrol or a jeep full of pirates, and even if you are too loud dispatching an easy pair of mercs, you can easily turn a calm situation into two jeeps full of mercs with mounted .50 cals running and gunning your rear end down. You have to really carefully consider how you are going to go, you starting becoming acutely aware of stuff like whether there are bushes and weeds along the side of the road you were going to take, or are you better off looping the long way around where there is cover to hide in. Whereas when you've cleared outposts, you can pretty much run along the roads and you only have to worry about tigers and bears. The animals are the least of my worries in the South island. If a pack of dogs attacks me I just machete them, not worth drawing attention with gunfire. You also learn to patiently wait out a lot of situations where a pair of mercs patrols through a camp with another three, waiting until the guys coming through continue on their way so that the numbers become manageable again.

I just gained a skill level worth of XP fetching two relics. Lots of knife throw takedowns of traveling merc pairs, and a handful of Death from Above takedowns from the roof of one house where a bunch of mercs liked to hang out.

I don't know if it's just me, but the South island mercs seem to be a much tougher enemy than the North island pirates. It's not just that they have body armor, but their AI just seems better, they are more attentive and aggro easily. They are still suckers for a thrown rock though.

I do a lot of sprint/sliding between areas of cover, sometimes zig-zagging across a road multiple times to stay in cover. Also there are many times where I don't loot bodies, if the area looks too hot, it's not worth the risk and I just high tail it back into cover or where I came from. I was going to get the automatic loot takedown skill as one of my last ones, but even spending a second or two looting is pretty dicey playing this way so I bit the bullet and got that skill (still have a handful left, mostly ones I don't care much about).

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I loved playing this game by taking out all the radio towers and then taking over all of the outposts. I was hoping that every now and again some of the outposts would be taken over by the pirates again but that doesnt happen.

Did I do too good of a job eliminating the enemies? I am barely on the mission where I meet the second agent.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Zwabu posted:

The game feels totally different when every where you go you might be run down by a patrol or a jeep full of pirates, and even if you are too loud dispatching an easy pair of mercs, you can easily turn a calm situation into two jeeps full of mercs with mounted .50 cals running and gunning your rear end down. You have to really carefully consider how you are going to go, you starting becoming acutely aware of stuff like whether there are bushes and weeds along the side of the road you were going to take, or are you better off looping the long way around where there is cover to hide in. Whereas when you've cleared outposts, you can pretty much run along the roads and you only have to worry about tigers and bears. The animals are the least of my worries in the South island. If a pack of dogs attacks me I just machete them, not worth drawing attention with gunfire. You also learn to patiently wait out a lot of situations where a pair of mercs patrols through a camp with another three, waiting until the guys coming through continue on their way so that the numbers become manageable again.

I know exactly what you mean. I cleared most of the outposts on the first island, and started feeling like an rear end in a top hat when I'd hear a jeep, go "oh poo poo" and jump into the bushes, only to have it be villagers driving past in some rustbucket sedan.

I'm definitely going with that outpost repopulation mod during my second playthrough.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Steam just got a patch that added the High Tides DLC. :raise:

Edit: out for non-Steam too.

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-GB/downloads/index.aspx

Edit: wrong link

gibbed fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 31, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Proposed DLC improvement:

Ubisoft posted:

The co-op story is far from over. Hoyt’s privateers Vaas's pirates have ambushed the four survivors and taken them hostage. It’s up to you and your friends to escape an underground prison and find a way off this island of insanity.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

gibbed posted:

Steam just got a patch that added the High Tides DLC. :raise:

Edit: out for non-Steam too.

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-US/downloads/index.aspx

I don't know if you looked at what you linked, but it links to the patch notes of v1.04, which has been out since late December. Nothing about High Tides or the new patch on that page.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did anyone play the "Testing Unit" bonus Uplay mission? Any good? Eh why am I asking, I'm definitely going to play it anyway.

As far as the glider kill achievement, do you just exit the glider the normal way and it automatically does the takedown ("E" button on PC) or do you have to hit the "jump" (spacebar) button somehow?

Of the various combo takedowns, the knife throw seems by far the most practical, getting you two quick stealth kills. It's quickly become my go-to move. There are often pairs of dudes patrolling, on a roof etc. The other ones seem kind of like gimmicky entertainment and too loud for frequent use. I do have to figure out the chained takedown technique though, that looks like it could allow you to go apeshit on a tight knit group once in a while, sort of like the "Shadow Warrior" skill in Skyrim if anyone has ever used that.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Morter posted:

I don't know if you looked at what you linked, but it links to the patch notes of v1.04, which has been out since late December. Nothing about High Tides or the new patch on that page.
Oops. Fixed the link. I had checked if the US site had the download yet and it didn't but I guess I copied the wrong URL.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Did anyone play the "Testing Unit" bonus Uplay mission? Any good? Eh why am I asking, I'm definitely going to play it anyway.

As far as the glider kill achievement, do you just exit the glider the normal way and it automatically does the takedown ("E" button on PC) or do you have to hit the "jump" (spacebar) button somehow?

Of the various combo takedowns, the knife throw seems by far the most practical, getting you two quick stealth kills. It's quickly become my go-to move. There are often pairs of dudes patrolling, on a roof etc. The other ones seem kind of like gimmicky entertainment and too loud for frequent use. I do have to figure out the chained takedown technique though, that looks like it could allow you to go apeshit on a tight knit group once in a while, sort of like the "Shadow Warrior" skill in Skyrim if anyone has ever used that.

Testing Unit is a pretty short and bad mission.

I actually unlocked the glider kill achievement by using a zipline, but you just have to basically jump onto somebody's head and the game will do the rest, just like a death from above takedown.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zwabu posted:

Chained takedown is great, but be aware that you can't chain through a heavy.

As for the knife throw - it's definitely useful, but be careful when throwing the knife, it won't always target who you expect. I managed to throw the knife and take out a sniper in a tower at one outpost, which promptly alerted the rest of the mercenaries since he was in plain sight.

Edit: spelling

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If you are going to use the knife throw but need to be careful about who it targets, just use the takedown drag, it gives you some time to turn the camera and pick a target before you throw the knife (also works for grenade / gunslinger takedowns).

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Most of the Uplay missions are very short and pretty meh, although I did enjoy all of Hurc's missions. If one starts a new game the Uplay missions should be done asap simply to get as much money and XP as possible. I remember Testing Unit being very forgettable except for having just a shitload of money in it, but which to me at the point I played it was almost completely useless.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you are going to use the knife throw but need to be careful about who it targets, just use the takedown drag, it gives you some time to turn the camera and pick a target before you throw the knife (also works for grenade / gunslinger takedowns).

Does it choose the target based on where you are looking?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Zwabu posted:

Does it choose the target based on where you are looking?
Yeah, as long as they are in range (which is pretty generous). You can see the icon over the enemy it is going to hit, move around the camera till it points at a different enemy and the icon will jump to them instead. I once dragged a corpse a good 50 meters in order to use a gunslinger takedown on 3 guys at once, worked perfectly and still earned the 1500 XP undetected bonus.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, as long as they are in range (which is pretty generous). You can see the icon over the enemy it is going to hit, move around the camera till it points at a different enemy and the icon will jump to them instead. I once dragged a corpse a good 50 meters in order to use a gunslinger takedown on 3 guys at once, worked perfectly and still earned the 1500 XP undetected bonus.

Okay, this is helpful. Now do you actually have to aim the gun for this, or does it just target whoever you're looking nearest and you pull the trigger? And are targets for chain takedown selected the same way?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Zwabu posted:

Okay, this is helpful. Now do you actually have to aim the gun for this, or does it just target whoever you're looking nearest and you pull the trigger? And are targets for chain takedown selected the same way?

The gunslinger takedown just targets anyone in your line of fire automatically. You just hold the aim button and mash the fire button until you throw away the gun. Chain takedown targets you select manually with a button prompt.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

There are a few spots in the game where enemies always spawn, usually places where story missions happen. Places that work pretty well are the spot where Vaas was storing weapons that you blow up, the drug fields you burn to dubstep music and the docks where you snipe people to rescue the guy with the baseball cap. You don't even have to leave them for the enemies to respawn, most of the time just walking from one side of the general area to the other is enough to reset the spawns. Or if you camp outside them, as long as you are about ~80-100 meters away pirates will endlessly spawn pretty much as quickly as you can snipe them, and from that far away they can't even shoot back. (Although sniping from that kind of range is not practical unless you are on the PC and can mod up the range of player weapons to actually reach that far, otherwise everything but the 30 rounds max you can carry for sniper rifles simply ceases to exist beyond 60 meters.)

I always farm at the docks at the start of my game, it's directly east of the starting town. It's also the location for tapirs and tigers, so I just wander around and kill dudes and tigers and tapirs until my rucksack is full then fast travel back to the town, rinse and repeat.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Holy poo poo, the latest 360 patch just got rid of the bow that's been stuck in Jason's body for most of the game. Woohoo!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just found a place that's not a base but fairly reliable for finding pirates. In the North island, there's a little piece of land bordered by rivers just above the Rooks Lighthouse/sniper perch thingy, there are one or two bridges leading to it. On that land are what looks like a little town or base setup with some buildings, fish markets etc., complete with rope that you can climb onto the buildings from the water. There are usually at least 4 pirates or so hanging out there and some that regularly pass through on the roads that come by, and they seem to repopulate when you return to the place. A good setup for base type building fights and death from above/below takedown practice. It's not a base so you don't take it over and lose the pirates permanently.

Of course the pirate base at the southern tip of the land just below the Rooks lighthouse I have left alone, I'm guessing if I took it over I wouldn't see those respawning pirates anymore, perhaps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm about to start another playthrough and I'd love some advice on mods. I plan on using Swartz's mod compilation and I'm going to clear outposts but letting them uncapped so both Islands are completely hostile, does that mean that I won't be able to do assassination and hunting quests? Or will I be able to get quests after clear but not cap an outpost? I don't know if I'm explaining what I want clearly. Or is there any other alternative to Swartz compilation for that?

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Guillermus posted:

I'm about to start another playthrough and I'd love some advice on mods. I plan on using Swartz's mod compilation and I'm going to clear outposts but letting them uncapped so both Islands are completely hostile, does that mean that I won't be able to do assassination and hunting quests? Or will I be able to get quests after clear but not cap an outpost? I don't know if I'm explaining what I want clearly. Or is there any other alternative to Swartz compilation for that?

With Swartz's mod all the hunting and wanted dead quests are unlocked from go, so you can just roll up and knock over an outpost without claiming it, and do the quests at your leisure before the pirates/privateers respawn

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

With Swartz's mod all the hunting and wanted dead quests are unlocked from go, so you can just roll up and knock over an outpost without claiming it, and do the quests at your leisure before the pirates/privateers respawn

Thats loving awesome. This will make FC3 last hundreds of hours without having to worry about the plot, doing whatever I want, whenever I want. :allears:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Is there any hope of making the radio towers the fast-travel locations? That's make the outpost mod perfect.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

PhancyPants posted:

Is there any hope of making the radio towers the fast-travel locations? That's make the outpost mod perfect.

Ideally the tops of the towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay, so I FINALLY figured out the issue why I couldn't do a Gunslinger Takedown, and I think what I discovered may apply to other issues people may have with the game also.

The problem is the fact that for the PC, the game's documentation is both incorrect and incomplete.

It's incorrect in that it describes the method of initiating a Gunslinger by starting with the basic takedown (F) and then immediately clicking LMB to draw the victim's gun and then start shooting.

This is wrong because it's definitely not LMB. Now others have said, here on this thread and elsewhere, that you start the basic takedown and then click RMB to unholster the victim's gun, then click on LMB to shoot the other nearby enemies up to 5 times.

That may be true in the default PC control configuration, but I remapped RMB to be my "walk forward" button instead of "W", as I have done in FPS games for decades now. So I tried about a billion times to do the takedown with F then RMB then LMB, with all kinds of variations in timing, holding the RMB down versus just kind of clicking RMB quickly and letting go, and I never ever unholstered the victim's gun.

After trying so, so many times I figured I must be missing something important and came to the conclusion that remapping RMB to "walk forward" (which I've also done for decades in FPS games now) somehow invalidated its use for the Gunslinger. Whether it's an issue of RMB being used for too many things (it's used for walking forward, and for chained takedowns in my setup) or something else, the "unholster" key must have been assigned to something else, but the question was which key?

Ultimately I wound up looking up an online post describing what Playstation 3 controller buttons corresponded to what functions in the game. Apparently controller button L2 is the "unholster" button that initiates the Gunslinger move. The other thing that L2 does, apparently, "aim"/bring up the aiming sight or scope (in addition to helping "target" in the console versions of the games), and apparently if you hold it down it brings up the weapon menu.

The controls don't correspond exactly, there is no PC key that functions exactly the same as L2, but I'd remapped "aim" to MB4 (the key only seems to aim and doesn't bring up the weapon selection menu if held down, although a number of other keys DO bring that menu up if held down, , such as all the number hotkeys for weapons).

Anyway, trying to use MB4 to initiate the Gunslinger move, because it seemed the closest analogue to the controller L2 button, solved my problem immediately. Now I can rock every type of takedown, the only ones I haven't been able to do yet are the double takedowns from above and below, I just haven't gotten the timing right or manipulated the pirates properly with rocks etc.

The sketchy FC3 documentation for the PC doesn't mention anything about key remapping making things complicated.

So hopefully this information will be helpful if anyone else gets stuck trying to make this work.

Quick question, without spoilering, can someone explain if the Hollywood Star achievement comes naturally out of something in the missions (I just got to the South island), or is it some Easter egg that you just happen upon if you explore the right places?

• Locked thread