Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just picked up a the white XL bundled in with super mario 3d land. Looking forward to the new games coming out until I realised they're coming at least 1-2 months after the US. Why do you do it Nintendo? Why do you hate Europe :smith:

You guys get all the cool colors so it evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Raepdog posted:

Anyone know where I can find info about adapting a game for the virtual marketplace, specifically how to do so and how to submit it for approval?

You'll probably be better off asking this in The Game Jobs megathread.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Saoshyant posted:

Not only the lack of QA in VLR is evident, the 3DS supports game patches. I'm amused at the complete lack of interest in this huge issue in their own game.

Everybody's always eager to blame QA, but frankly it doesn't matter how much you report a bug if the devs don't deem it worth fixing / aren't sure what the fix is / don't think it's important enough to fix / deadline is too soon. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Thinking about picking up Etrian Odyssey 4 when it comes out. How closely tied (storyline wise) are the games to each other? Can I play 4 without having played any of the others (a la Final Fantasy/Persona/Tales) or will I need to play the other three to understand (Suikoden/Xenosaga/Fear Effect)?

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Only the first two were even loosely tied together, to my knowledge. You could play them completely out of order and be totally fine. There's not a whole ton of story in the first place.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Thinking about picking up Etrian Odyssey 4 when it comes out. How closely tied (storyline wise) are the games to each other? Can I play 4 without having played any of the others (a la Final Fantasy/Persona/Tales) or will I need to play the other three to understand (Suikoden/Xenosaga/Fear Effect)?

There's only the loosest connections, if any, between any of the EO games. 1 and 2 had a cross-game password system that let you import your guild from the first game to the second with a few bonus items and incredibly minor event changes, and 3 was completely stand-alone (though the sea minigame had some vague references to the settings of the first two games). My understanding is that 4 is basically in the same boat as 3, with no connections other than some possible minor references.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

Not only the lack of QA in VLR is evident, the 3DS supports game patches. I'm amused at the complete lack of interest in this huge issue in their own game.

The PAL publishers released a patch! it adds multi-language support to the manual

Raepdog posted:

Anyone know where I can find info about adapting a game for the virtual marketplace, specifically how to do so and how to submit it for approval?

If you want more detailed help you're gonna have to be more specific, but you can apply to become a licensed developer/publisher on the Wario World website. Be warned, it's not easy.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 31, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found this crack on my 3DS today:

Is it something I can get fixed easily enough, or can I just not worry about it?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Artix74 posted:

So I'm like an hour into Chapter 3 of Unchained Blades, and while I don't mind starting over with a new party and going to a new Titan, I'd really appreciate having more than one party member. :psyduck:

I get that this guy is supposed to be the best swordsman of the Reaper Clan, but I have no idea how I'm going to be able to do an entire Titan by myself without having at least one other person to occasionally throw Medicine Pills at me during the final boss of the Titan. Unless they decide to pull a Tortuga and throw me a boss where I can kill each part with ~2 turns of concentrated attacking.

You won't have to do the whole titan like that, and you won't be facing as many enemies as the other parties did, for the most part. Be sure and abuse items that target entire screens, and you may want to hit a faq to maximize the attitudes of your dudes, so they'll take hits for you more often.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NinjaDebugger posted:

You won't have to do the whole titan like that, and you won't be facing as many enemies as the other parties did, for the most part. Be sure and abuse items that target entire screens, and you may want to hit a faq to maximize the attitudes of your dudes, so they'll take hits for you more often.

Oh, cool. I just got to the 4th floor, but I've been trying to max out Lucius's armor before going any farther. If nothing else, it's nice to only have one person's armor/weapons to worry about right now.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm in chapter two of Crimson Shroud and I cannot figure out what to do. All available rooms in the Rahab caverns are blue. I've fought and sneaked past every fight on the map. How do I get this damned dungeon gate open?!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Chaltab posted:

I'm in chapter two of Crimson Shroud and I cannot figure out what to do. All available rooms in the Rahab caverns are blue. I've fought and ran sneaked past every fight on the map. How do I get this damned dungeon gate open?!

Missing a key? It's a random drop off of Skeleton Mages, I think. If not them, definitely from something in the area.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Artix74 posted:

Missing a key? It's a random drop off of Skeleton Mages, I think. If not them, definitely from something in the area.
The item needed to progress is a random drop. You know just because your game has actual D20s doesn't mean it has to invoke stupid AD&D tropes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The NA shop update added a new Pokemon XY trailer. It's the same one from Nintendo direct, but with new music. Click latest videos to see it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo's kinda pissed that Japanese 3DS games are taking so long to come overseas, plans to start helping Japanese devs this year in getting them over.

I'd like to say stuff like Bravely Default and Layton x Wright would benefit from thsi, but I have this sinking feeling that it'll be more Beyond the Labyrinth and Senran Kagura.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo's kinda pissed that Japanese 3DS games are taking so long to come overseas, plans to start helping Japanese devs this year in getting them over.

I'd like to say stuff like Bravely Default and Layton x Wright would benefit from thsi, but I have this sinking feeling that it'll be more Beyond the Labyrinth and Senran Kagura.

Bravely Default, Layton x Wright, Dragon Quest 7 and... something. I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to jump on Senran Kagura.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I want Sakura Taisen....all of Sakura Taisen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe they should be encouraging more western devs to make 3DS games for the international market, instead of just bringing over more Japanese stuff? That's not to say I can think of a whole lot of western-developed games I'd actually want on 3DS but I can't imagine more JRPGs are really gonna make much difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, but more FPSes aren't gonna make a difference either! :downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where did I say anything about FPS games?

There are massive segments of the western handheld audience that don't care about Fire Emblem or Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts and aren't going to be won over by Dragon Quest or Bravery Default or whatever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What sort of games do you think they want?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Elite Beat Agents!

Please, god, I want more Elite Beat Agents... :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are massive segments of the western handheld audience that don't care about Fire Emblem or Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts and aren't going to be won over by Dragon Quest or Bravery Default or whatever.

What most of the western audience wants is stuff like Angry birds or games that can be bought for a a dollar or so. I mean Zynga is still around because they still sell alot of software in droves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The joke is characterizing all Japanese games as JRPGs is about as dumb as categorizing all Western games as FPSes. For instance, Monster Hunter! Not a JRPG.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Monster Hunter is definitely more of an action-rpg. A JARPG?

After being surprised by the Ghost Recon game and the new XCOM, I'm definitely in the mood for more tactical games. Think it's worth it to pick up any of the older GBA Fire Emblems before I can get my hands on the new one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

general chaos posted:

Monster Hunter is definitely more of an action-rpg. A JARPG?

After being surprised by the Ghost Recon game and the new XCOM, I'm definitely in the mood for more tactical games. Think it's worth it to pick up any of the older GBA Fire Emblems before I can get my hands on the new one?

The new one literally hits next week so unless you know you can get your hands on Fire Emblem 7 I'd just wait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

The joke is characterizing all Japanese games as JRPGs is about as dumb as categorizing all Western games as FPSes. For instance, Monster Hunter! Not a JRPG.

The majority of the games listed/requested were JRPGs, and while games like Monhun aren't strictly JRPGs they're still ultra-Japanese and are appealing/unappealing for many of the same reasons.

The handheld market outside of Japan is (was) driven primarily by children and parents, so if the DS is anything to go by they need more licensed crap, terrible adaptations of casual console games, and Scribblenauts. Grandma isn't gonna buy Dragon Quest 7 for little Suzy, no matter how many slumber parties NOA sets up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

general chaos posted:

Monster Hunter is definitely more of an action-rpg.

I wouldn't consider it an RPG since there's no character progression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And they'll get that regardless of what they do. Not like the makers of the Madagascar 17 game or whatever are gonna hold out on releasing it on the 3DS until Nintendo comes by to court them. FE13 was one of the biggest sellers in Japan and made tons of money for them in DLC, and while I doubt it'll sell AS well in America it still looks set to sell very well, and even if it only sells decently the DLC will still make them a pretty penny off hardcore people.

It's not like getting some dudes to help localize Japanese games somehow scares casual game makers and license shovelers away. They can have both.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Meiteron posted:

So I figure I need to send the thing to Nintendo and get them to fix it (second most common fix after "download an update") but just as a last resort I thought I would ask: on PSP and Vita, there are some games which come with a system update boxed in which force an update without needing an internet connection. Are there any recent 3DS games which have something similar? Virtue's Last Reward didn't have one so I sort of doubt it but I figured it was worth asking. Failing that, is there any way to drop an update on this thing without using the internet, like through an SD card?

Super Mario 3D Land prompted me to update to 4.30 I believe. It was my first gae on a band new system.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Sire Oblivion posted:

I wouldn't consider it an RPG since there's no character progression.

My guy looks way different rank 30 compared to rank 1.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YggiDee posted:

Elite Beat Agents!

Ouendan is what you want.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

And they'll get that regardless of what they do. Not like the makers of the Madagascar 17 game or whatever are gonna hold out on releasing it on the 3DS until Nintendo comes by to court them. FE13 was one of the biggest sellers in Japan and made tons of money for them in DLC, and while I doubt it'll sell AS well in America it still looks set to sell very well, and even if it only sells decently the DLC will still make them a pretty penny off hardcore people.

It's not like getting some dudes to help localize Japanese games somehow scares casual game makers and license shovelers away. They can have both.

The shovelware developers are already leaving handhelds, that's the issue. You can put it down to iOS gaming devaluing the market, or the increased costs of 3DS development relative to DS development, or the fact that Nintendo puts out its own casual titles that dominate everything else, but there are definitely far less of those games on 3DS than there were on DS and without those games the 3DS isn't gonna sell as well as the DS did.

The other option would be for Nintendo to simply make more games themselves, but they can barely maintain their release schedule as it is.

(I don't really give a poo poo if it does as well as the DS did and I generally find all this armchair business strategist stuff really tedious, but that's the "problem" they're looking to solve, so...)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Policenaut posted:

Get me Bravely Default, and all is well!

And I still want to try out Beyond The Labyrinth! :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Didn't bravely default turn out boring or am I confusing it with a different JRPG?

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012
Well, Nintendo send out new puzzle pieces for Streetpass. It's Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Just when I am about to finish one, a new one appears!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't bravely default turn out boring or am I confusing it with a different JRPG?

You're probably thinking of that iPad game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Rexroom posted:

Yeah. All The Bravest is an iPad game made by Square Enix and was not at all the Bravely Default localization announcement that I hoped for. :smith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rexroom posted:

Yeah ATB was horrible but I did remember people being unimpressed with a JRPG with a weird name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

Elite Beat Agents!

iNiS, why did you have to reduce yourselves to only making Lips games? You used to spin wonderful magic from sound :sigh:. I'd love an EBA sequel, but I'd settle for another Gitaroo Man.

• Locked thread