Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
zari-gani's post followed by RS' is the best 1-2 post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Been wanting to see this episode. Also love the Puyo Puyo fanart.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

zari-gani posted:

http://news.ameba.jp/20130130-324/

Translation:

Yoiko Arino's mysterious surge of foreign followers, 35% American

Shinya Arino (age 40) of the comedy duo Yoiko revealed on his Twitter he's recently received many foreign followers.

On the 26th, Arino tweeted "What the?? Lots of foreigners are talking to me!" Due to the sudden increase in foreign followers, he looked up their countries using a tool linked to him by another user. The result was "1. Japan 48.30%, 2. America 34.50%, 3. Canada 3.40%, 4. Macau 3.40%, Malaysia 3.40%, Russia 3.40%, England 3.40%." Regarding the missing 0.2% he remarked "Aliens??" Arino reacted to this result with "Less than half are Japanese... even though I only write in Japanese. I'm grateful."

Responding to a foreigner pining for English tweets from Arino, he wrote "Thank you. But difficult!" in katakana. However, a kind follower translated the katakana to English, to which he graciously replied "When I responded to a foreign tweet in katakana, someone translated it to English! Traveling abroad would be more fun if there were more kind people like this." Japanese users replied "We can help!"

Arino is enjoying his exchange with foreign followers, but he still doesn't know why there's suddenly so many foreigners tweeting at him.

Maybe Arino thinks that the American fans that showed up in LA are his only foreign fans. He may be shocked on how big he's getting.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

zrrgin posted:

Maybe Arino thinks that the American fans that showed up in LA are his only foreign fans. He may be shocked on how big he's getting.

I would think that it's one thing to know that your show is being subtitled on the downlow, but quite another thing entirely to know how popular you are overseas because of it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

zrrgin posted:

He may be shocked on how big he's getting.

It was that lipstick in the HD episode. So ~kawaii~.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pnumoman posted:

I would think that it's one thing to know that your show is being subtitled on the downlow, but quite another thing entirely to know how popular you are overseas because of it.

Arino might not even be aware that this kind of thing is happening. Some people are almost definitely aware of it happening but that doesn't mean that the knowledge has penetrated Arino's skull.

He's almost definitely unaware of his newfound popularity as a wrestling superstar...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Smart Ball is the game that asks, "If you're so smart, why are you a jelly?" Can Arino slime his way to the top of this game?

This episode is brought to you by zari-gani who translated it during a break from seeing how much jello it takes to solidify an olympic sized swimming pool.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 677.67 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Promotional flyer upon its release

I wish they'd do To Catch a Catch Copy again but with English tag lines.

I wonder why they took out all the story in the overseas release of this game... Kids must have been confused as to why you're a sentient Princess-rescuing slime.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Arino might not even be aware that this kind of thing is happening. Some people are almost definitely aware of it happening but that doesn't mean that the knowledge has penetrated Arino's skull.

He's almost definitely unaware of his newfound popularity as a wrestling superstar...

Arino is a pretty clever guy. I bet he's totally aware of all this stuff, but he's commenting on it in a way that acknowledges it but doesn't cause trouble.

Maybe not the wrestling thing though. :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

joek0 posted:

I upload the raws on YT because people on the SA Forums have asked for a place to watch them. Are there any raws from season 1, 13, 14, or 15 that you would like uploaded on my channel. I would love to put missing episodes up on YT, but YT and mt Internet connection are being finicky when doing uploads. I have all the raws from seasons 1-15. I have all of the raws from season 16 except for Yoshi's Island Part 2 on my channel already. I also have some of the raws from VC specials and the live challenges. Ask and I will see if I have the video. When I mention season 1 raws, I mean the full raw which includes the interviews and the challenge. The current subs for most of season 1 are challenges only subbed.

Also, Captain Tsubasa raw episode is on my YT channel.

YT GCCX Raws Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL085808F22D35F9A4&feature=view_all
Sadly I have absolutely no knowledge of Japanese beyond six words (the latest being "ABUNAI!" thanks to this show), and my hard-of-hearing makes it more difficult to ask or watch any raw episodes. Thanks for asking though, you do some great work :D

Also Arino has a twitter?!?! :aaa:

Time to boot up Google Translaaaaate.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Arino is a pretty clever guy. I bet he's totally aware of all this stuff, but he's commenting on it in a way that acknowledges it but doesn't cause trouble.

Maybe not the wrestling thing though. :v:

Random Stranger posted:

Either way, it's a testament to the great work of the SAGCCX team, both in the actual releases and how you folks are handling the murky legal waters.

I wonder what will happen when Arino's US twitter fanbase outnumbers his Japanese fanbase... :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pnumoman posted:

I wonder what will happen when Arino's US twitter fanbase outnumbers his Japanese fanbase... :allears:
He'll flip his poo poo and have an ultranationalist moment before spontaneously turning into Japanese Glenn Beck.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

He'll flip his poo poo and have an ultranationalist moment before spontaneously turning into Japanese Glenn Beck.

I'll be okay with that, so long as he doesn't try to incite a coup d'état and commit ritual suicide.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Oh christ I hope not, I can't enjoy Koichi Sugiyama as much as I used to after finding out he was kind of a dickish nationalist. :ohdear:

Then again, considering how ecstatic Arino was in the USA special, he's way too nice to be like that. :3:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

zari-gani posted:

Arino is enjoying his exchange with foreign followers, but he still doesn't know why there's suddenly so many foreigners tweeting at him.

Is he just being modest, or is he just not connecting the fact that GCCX was popular enough in the West to have a run of DVDs released there? If this were still the early days of GCCX fan translations maybe I'd understand his confusion, but you'd think he'd know by now that he's modestly popular outside of Japan.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
After seeing Smart Ball, I want to see the other Game Freak games subbed. I hope that this means Mendel Palace and Pulseman get subbed soon.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Seeing Arino's tweets makes me hopeful for another in the USA special

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

zari-gani posted:

I wonder why they took out all the story in the overseas release of this game... Kids must have been confused as to why you're a sentient Princess-rescuing slime.

I ended up far more confused by the absolute lack of story. "So wait, why am I a blob doing these things and going to the moon, apparently?" Quirk of localization, I guess.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

bpc908 posted:

Seeing Arino's tweets makes me hopeful for another in the USA special

Provided the show isn't ending soon I can't imagine he wouldn't be back considering he's way more popular now. That trip was basically taken under a tourist concept like the Korea trip where he'd just go and see what there is to see and if people want to meet him that's cool, too. Now if he comes I'd almost bank on the crowds being at least twice as big and the trip would be based on his newfound celebrity in the States.

A second trip to the US is essentially a guaranteed success for the show in all aspects. I'm really hoping they maybe try to make that happen in the future.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Australia's relatively close, and our arcade scene isn't completely dead, either. It's just a pity that there are so few Aussie-developed games worth a drat, especially classic console games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, if he ever does Back to the Future he can fly out to the remnants of Beam Software to punch people in the throat, I guess.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crotch Bat posted:

A second trip to the US is essentially a guaranteed success for the show in all aspects. I'm really hoping they maybe try to make that happen in the future.
You watch, the day I move off these rocks, Arino will be all "yeah Game Center CX in USA II: HAWAII ADVENTURE" and I'll be "well gently caress."

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Arino's latest tweets to foreign fans:

@SartanaDjango: "Arino san, you are the best! Hola from Mexico :D #KachoON”"
Arino: "Thank you, tortilla!"

@RNeupert: "Hey there, Kacho! Good work on Balloon Fight!"
Arino: "Thank you! Scofield!"

@Silentman0: "You're lucky to have so many fans! Keep doing your best!"
Arino: "Yes, we can!"

FinalGamerJames: "I am a big GCCX fan from Scotland! I am in love with your show! The kind of perseverance you hold gives hope to all gamers! ^__^"
Arino: "Thank you. I once had a talk with the director of Scott Pilgrim."

@33mhz: "I wonder if these tweets will end up teaching US fans the katakana for thank you."
Arion: "Hey Mark! Are you from Denmark?"

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Edgar Wright isn't Scottish!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zari-gani posted:

FinalGamerJames: "I am a big GCCX fan from Scotland! I am in love with your show! The kind of perseverance you hold gives hope to all gamers! ^__^"

@33mhz: "I wonder if these tweets will end up teaching US fans the katakana for thank you."

I don't know why these are making me laugh so much. Good Lord.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I'm @33mhz! I was so surprised/happy that he responded that I didn't end up paying much attention to the Jelly Boy episode :swoon:

I made that comment because he had responded to more foreign fan tweets with サンキュー.

I also responded with my super-rusty Japanese asking him to challenge Star Tropics. And I told him my real location even though I knew he was joking. :v:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

Edgar Wright isn't Scottish!

I think he just said that because of "Scott" ahaha

That's great

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
SMART BAAALL

For some reason, Smart Ball was one of my favorite games as a kid. :'D Been waiting for this one! Thanks z-g and friends!!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't believe that I still get pissed at Arino for trying to beat every boss ever by mashing his face into it and spamming attacks.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I can't believe that I still get pissed at Arino for trying to beat every boss ever by mashing his face into it and spamming attacks.

I love it, makes it all the more intense!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
New Episode
2/7/2013
#154 Metro Cross

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been re-encoding all the episodes so that I can play them on my PS3. This has been all well and good, except for the episodes done by Clover, because converting their videos results in the subtitles being lost.

Can anyone help me out with a way to fix this?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I've been re-encoding all the episodes so that I can play them on my PS3.

You shouldn't have to do that with ours. We encode specifically for compatibility and ease of spreading the videos.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

You shouldn't have to do that with ours. We encode specifically for compatibility and ease of spreading the videos.

I'll have to check and see. Force of habit, since I do it with every other video.

Regardless, I know the ones by Clover absolutely do not work, and re-encoding them loses the subtitles, so I need help there.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Regardless, I know the ones by Clover absolutely do not work, and re-encoding them loses the subtitles, so I need help there.
I used to have all kinds of problems watching the various GCCX videos directly on my PS3 until someone here recommended PS3 Media Server (specifically for .mkv files, which I think is what Clover used). I've never gone back.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

That was me! Oh my god I dunno what he meant until now that's...silly, that's cool though! I didn't know he talked to Edgar Wright, even if he's not Scottish.
God I really hope Google Translate was good enough but since you translated it exactly how I wrote it zari-gani, I'm gonna say it was!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

FinalGamer posted:

That was me! Oh my god I dunno what he meant until now that's...silly, that's cool though! I didn't know he talked to Edgar Wright, even if he's not Scottish.
God I really hope Google Translate was good enough but since you translated it exactly how I wrote it zari-gani, I'm gonna say it was!

He interviews the cast as part of the special features in the Japanese release of the DVD.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

He interviews the cast as part of the special features in the Japanese release of the DVD.
Awwwwww maaaaaan does anyone have that translated? I love when he's talking to foreigners, it's so strange and wonderful.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Does this mean Michael Cera and Arino have met? I have to see this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

Awwwwww maaaaaan does anyone have that translated? I love when he's talking to foreigners, it's so strange and wonderful.

No need to translate it. It's in English on the Japanese blu-ray.

Heti posted:

Does this mean Michael Cera and Arino have met? I have to see this.

No, it was just a commentary with Edgar Wright.

On the other hand, the interview does tell us that Brian Lee O'Malley watches Game Center CX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Random Stranger posted:

No need to translate it. It's in English on the Japanese blu-ray.

No, it was just a commentary with Edgar Wright.

On the other hand, the interview does tell us that Brian Lee O'Malley watches Game Center CX.

Aw. But of course he watches it.