Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

yellowcar posted:

Is there a way to get random skirmishes to pop up more often asides from finishing a chapter?

Let the realtime clock advance a few hours and more will show up.

Also, what exactly is the appeal of armsthrift? I don't get it. Are people really running out of weapon uses in a meaningful way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You can only promote from Mercenary to the advanced Mercenary classes. You can cross-class from one of them to Dark Flier once you hit 15 though.

Purchase a Reeking Box item. This is pretty expensive on Hard or above though.

Oh wait what? I thought Master Seals were promotion and reclass in one, i.e, you could move into any of the six classes.

I actually undid that reclass to answer TheOneAndOnlyT's question though, so she's staying in Peg. Knight.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
If you promote once you can reclass to the promoted class without having to use a master seal correct?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Oh wait what? I thought Master Seals were promotion and reclass in one, i.e, you could move into any of the six classes.

I actually undid that reclass to answer TheOneAndOnlyT's question though, so she's staying in Peg. Knight.

Master Seals allow a promotion to whatever the advance class of the current class you're in is. So Tactician to Grandmaster but not to anything else.

Second Seal allows you to change to any unpromoted class at any time and any promoted class once you're a high enough level in a promote class/max level in a special class.

cheetah7071 posted:

Let the realtime clock advance a few hours and more will show up.

Also, what exactly is the appeal of armsthrift? I don't get it. Are people really running out of weapon uses in a meaningful way?

Armsthrift gives you infinite usages of weapons which otherwise have extremely limited usages. Brave weapons are a big one here as they can use up to 4 charges a go and have only 30 charges. You can purchase more late in the game but this also ignores forging them. Buying and reforging Brave Swords/Lances/Axes is a pretty expensive endeavor. Armsthrift allows you to use a max-forged Brave Sword for roughly forever instead of having to keep replenishing it. It also lets you use the special weapons you can't replace easily for much longer.

It's also got a crazy-efficient stat requirement. Luck*2 means it triggers all the fuckin' time once you gain some levels.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 31, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double Post. Ignore this.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Purchase a Reeking Box item. This is pretty expensive on Hard or above though.

drat, I was afraid of that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Master Seals allow a promotion to whatever the advance class of the current class you're in is. So Tactician to Grandmaster but not to anything else.

Second Seal allows you to change to any unpromoted class at any time and any promoted class once you're a high enough level in a promote class/max level in a special class.

Armsthrift gives you infinite usages of weapons which otherwise have extremely limited usages. Brave weapons are a big one here as they can use up to 4 charges a go and have only 30 charges. You can purchase more late in the game but this also ignores forging them. Buying and reforging Brave Swords/Lances/Axes is a pretty expensive endeavor. Armsthrift allows you to use a max-forged Brave Sword for roughly forever instead of having to keep replenishing it. It also lets you use the special weapons you can't replace easily for much longer.

What maps exactly are you plowing through brave weapons in? They don't become buyable until you beat the penultimate map, sure, but they don't becomes necessary (or even better than silver weapons, which are already ORKOing) until postgame maps that aren't even released yet. Sure they might have a point on lunatic, but on lunatic none of the character who start with armsthrift are any good and you don't have time to do silly things like reclass Cordelia to mercenary when she should be making a beeline for Speed Cry (or whatever it's called these days).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can buy Brave Weapons from the Spotpass team that's up.

I don't know if you can summon them back or what, though.

Edit: Oh, apparently not everyone gets the same.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

What maps exactly are you plowing through brave weapons in? They don't become buyable until you beat the penultimate map, sure, but they don't becomes necessary (or even better than silver weapons, which are already ORKOing) until postgame maps that aren't even released yet. Sure they might have a point on lunatic, but on lunatic none of the character who start with armsthrift are any good and you don't have time to do silly things like reclass Cordelia to mercenary when she should be making a beeline for Speed Cry (or whatever it's called these days).

On Lunatic you don't rush for Armsthrift but it becomes a lot more viable to reclass to it later once you have some other really solid abilities. That is why, you'll notice, I pointed out that he should be going for other stuff first. Having nearly infinite access to incredibly good weapons makes later Lunatic a lot more pleasant.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Is the only way to access the Berserker class is to change your male Avatar into a Brigand/Bandit/whatever they call it here? Fighters promote into Heroes or Warriors like in FE8, no?

I'm definably reclassing my avatar into one the moment I get a change seal. I don't want to be a sissy mage/swordfighter; axes to the face all day every day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

Is the only way to access the Berserker class is to change your male Avatar into a Brigand/Bandit/whatever they call it here? Fighters promote into Heroes or Warriors like in FE8, no?

I'm definably reclassing my avatar into one the moment I get a change seal. I don't want to be a sissy mage/swordfighter; axes to the face all day every day.

Just as a warning, you're missing out on some amazing skills for rushing your Avatar to another class.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Lord Ephraim posted:

Is the only way to access the Berserker class is to change your male Avatar into a Brigand/Bandit/whatever they call it here?

Yeah, Barbarians are the only ones who can 'serk, according to the SF overview of what promotes into what.

Pirate as a class is not available this time around, unfortunately, but maybe some other class got the ability to cross water.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

Correct. Barbarians can promote to Berserkers.

Buuut Vaike, Henry, and Gregor also have access to the Barbarian/Berserker class set too, though you'll have to reclass them as well. They also pass it down to any male children.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My Avatar has defense as his asset, and so far it's the best. He has 19 defense at level 19, although he's not incredibly fast. I put him in the range of a group of enemies, and then come the player phase I have a bunch of half dead enemies to pick off and a slightly bruised Avatar.

e; Oh, what the hell, a plot-choice in a Fire Emblem game? I have no idea what to do, why are you putting this on me?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 1, 2013

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Cake Attack posted:

e; Oh, what the hell, a plot-choice in a Fire Emblem game? I have no idea what to do, why are you putting this on me?

Oh! This! I know about it, but I don't know what the outcome is, so good luck!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

My Avatar has defense as his asset, and so far it's the best. He has 19 defense at level 19, although he's not incredibly fast. I put him in the range of a group of enemies, and then come the player phase I have a bunch of half dead enemies to pick off and a slightly bruised Avatar.

If you're where I think you are, it doesn't affect anything other than the immediately following scene

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay, so there is one annoying bug I've found. Seems like if you set the voices to Japanese, then reload the game you'll get the English voices instead. It's not a huge deal since it doesn't affect actual play but it's kind of a pain to have to re-set it every time I reload.

Of course I could just set it to English but having my fight noises be in Japanese makes me feel like a kid again. v:shobon:v

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a question for Canadians. If your Avatar is male, does his daughter still have the decidedly masculine name Mark?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have a question for Canadians. If your Avatar is male, does his daughter still have the decidedly masculine name Mark?

They changed the name to Morgan for both genders in the English release.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm sure someone asked this earlier, but I'm still waffling about what flaw to pick, and I'm wondering if a low resistance growth is a good idea. I like the idea of +Res/-Luck because it's pretty balanced looking, but the slightly more lopsided +Luck/-HP also looks pretty strong except for the low def and res growths. Is a res growth of 25% just asking to get stomped by mages and staff assholes?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Veev posted:

They changed the name to Morgan for both genders in the English release.

Thanks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lotish posted:

I'm sure someone asked this earlier, but I'm still waffling about what flaw to pick, and I'm wondering if a low resistance growth is a good idea. I like the idea of +Res/-Luck because it's pretty balanced looking, but the slightly more lopsided +Luck/-HP also looks pretty strong except for the low def and res growths. Is a res growth of 25% just asking to get stomped by mages and staff assholes?

There are no status inducing staves in Awakening, and the only seige tome is a really rare dark tome. And all bad growths can be worked around wiyh reclassing, especially with your Avatar. 5% here or there really isn't going to kill you. The bigger concerns should be for your starting stats and caps which will make a bigger difference than a few percentage of growths you can manipulate in other ways.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure my skill-flawed Avatar could be clinically diagnosed as blind at this point, lv 11 or 12 with a 4 in skill. It's a good thing he gets an exp boost from pairing up because he isn't hitting poo poo otherwise. If only the character creator had a glasses option...

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure my skill-flawed Avatar could be clinically diagnosed as blind at this point, lv 11 or 12 with a 4 in skill. It's a good thing he gets an exp boost from pairing up because he isn't hitting poo poo otherwise. If only the character creator had a glasses option...

Yeah skill is most definitely not a dump stat in this game.

Also the game looks loving amazing and I really love what I've seen of the localization so far, including the supports. Tharja still sems like an awful, awful character though.

One thing that I do have a complaint about is how much fanservice, pandering there is in this game. It's been gone over before andFE as a series hardly has the best portrayal of female character I've seen but for all of Micaiah's faults she never seemed objectified.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I have some problems with some of the designs but if you play a female MU you get first person shots of the guys blushing as they ~confess their love~ to you so I can't really call that sexist. Dumb and pandering, yeah, but it's equal opportunity pandering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Terper posted:

Matthew Mercer confimed to be the voice of Chrom.

Matthew Mercer replaced Troy Baker as Kanji in the second season of the Persona 4 anime, so I guess that explains everyone thinking it's Troy Baker (even if he's busy with his new wife at the moment). I guess that means I can watch the second season of P4A without missing my Awesome Kanji Voice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, English Kanji switched voices? That sounds irresponsible contract-wise, especially since it's the same character and not a Gurren Lagann Nina situation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tae posted:

Wait, English Kanji switched voices? That sounds irresponsible contract-wise, especially since it's the same character and not a Gurren Lagann Nina situation.

Nah, he was honeymooning for the last half of P4A so they let Mercer take over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Troy Baker got married halfway through from what I remember.

e;fb

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How do Great Knights stack up against Paladins? In FE8 they couldn't move as far and were vulnerable to two kinds of effective weapons, so even though I thought they were cool they had some serious marks against them. Is that still the case?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

How do Great Knights stack up against Paladins? In FE8 they couldn't move as far and were vulnerable to two kinds of effective weapons, so even though I thought they were cool they had some serious marks against them. Is that still the case?

I haven't been using Fredrick, and haven't promoted anyone into Great Knight yet, but I don't think I've actually seen any effective weaponry in enemy hands yet.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I haven't been using Fredrick, and haven't promoted anyone into Great Knight yet, but I don't think I've actually seen any effective weaponry in enemy hands yet.

Well based on the demo on Lunatic, IIRC Great Knights are weak to hammers.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
(Marth DLC "plot" spoilers) Anyone else notice that your allies are all men and your enemies are all women? All this trouble is going to come down to Hubba being a loving idiot, isn't it?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I want to use Fredrick because it was pointed out to me that he appears to be wearing an actual suit under his suit of honor. What a smooth dude.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lotish posted:

I made Amelia into a Great Knight and she wrecks the enemy regardless of weapons. 49HP and 14 DEF as a level 1 Great Knight is no small feat.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mordecai posted:

(Marth DLC "plot" spoilers) Anyone else notice that your allies are all men and your enemies are all women? All this trouble is going to come down to Hubba being a loving idiot, isn't it?

The second DLC, wherein we get the Drakengard-inspired Roy at the end, reverses it and has you fighting all of the male leads of the FE games with the help of Lyn, Eirika and Celica from FE2.

Assuming Hubba is a bit of a doof is generally a good idea, however. :v:

EDIT: Speaking of the DLC, if you bring certain units, they can talk to certain other units on the map. For Champions of Yore 1:

Chrom: Eirika and Marth
Lissa: Julia and Alm
Virion: Elincia
Miriel: Lilina
Kellam: Caeda
Maribelle: Micaiah
Gregor: Lyndis
Henry: Dierdre
Owain: Nanna

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 1, 2013

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Lotish posted:

Paladins get a huge boost to resistance on promotion and have a much higher cap too. Great Knights get a similar large boost to defense. I think the ability to use axes is slightly more useful than the extra movement, since there's not a lot of axe users in Awakening.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Don't forget to look at skills when weighing the pros and cons here. Paladins get all stats +1 when Paired Up and also half damage from bows, tomes and dragonstones on a skill% chance whereas Great Knights get Luna, which is apparently incredibly necessary for postgame stuff in higher difficulties, and Support Block +10%. I think the Great Knight probably comes out a little ahead here, but if you want to make someone extra tanky then the Paladin may be the road to go (or both I guess!).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm liking the difficulty curve so far. I'm playing on Hard, and every time I think things might be getting a little easy, the next level kicks my rear end and tells me to think that through. I only got through Chapter 11 after surviving an enemy phase that could have ended me more then once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah Hard seems challenging but gives you some leeway with the DLC fights and the random encounters so you can check out most of the roster. Vaike was rotting on the bench until chapter 5, a paralogue, and a couple random encounters brought him all the way up to lv 12 and now he's one of my best units.

I don't know about Paladins, but Frederick has been indispensable so far. Never mind being able to rush in and protect key targets like treasure or villages, just stapling him on virtually anyone makes that unit an offensive and defensive juggernaut, which seems key in the early chapters where every enemy is rocking 15-20 attack.

• Locked thread