Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Warbadger posted:

From the middle east thread in D&D - T-72s continue to react poorly to RPGs. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vljapydLfGQ

Yeah, that dude is jacked up I bet. If you put it on high-res and watch him as he runs away you can see that his clothes are loving shredded. Was anybody able to tell where on the tank the RPG hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Might be a detonation of the ready round or a propellant fire, but it seems way too intense and short duration to be a fuel fire.

Then again, I've seen a ton of car fires, but no tank fires.

Edit: also, isn't that pretty much the textbook worst place to deploy armor? I understand that tanks are awesome for loving up urban strongpoints (or so classic combat mission: beyond barbossa taught me) but you need a poo poo ton of infantry.

It's a propellant fire. The auto loader stores a bunch of propellant charges above the gun and it's exposed to the crew spaces. There's also ammunition (anything not in the carousel) and more propellant charges scattered about the crew spaces.

The armor on the sides of the tank is actually quite thin, so pretty much any old RPG can punch a hole through there and shoot a jet of molten metal into the crew compartment. At that point there's a really good chance that at least one propellant charge will light up and cause fire in the crew space which will then light up ALL the propellant charges, resulting in a tower of fire and potentially a flying turret.

Sometimes the fire (or whatever the tank was shot with) will also cause one of the High Explosive rounds to cook off, causing a catastrophic explosion.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mortabis posted:

:siren: PLAYBOY BUNNY SEXUAL HARASSMENT CMSAF :siren: oh wait it's a navy plane okay

It all goes in cycles...VX-9 had to take the bunny off the tail in the post Tailhook witch hunt, but they put it back on a couple of years later and today there's still a Super Bug flying around with a bunny on the tail:

No black paint job though, unfortunately.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Branis posted:

since my question already got answered before I hit post, What type of RPG's are capable of doing that to a T72? Just regular old RPG 7s?

I guess any MBT would be hosed by a rear shot like that. It's not like they have a lot of protection in those areas.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 14, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Koesj posted:

I guess any MBT would be hosed by a rear shot like that. It's not like they have a lot of protection in those areas.

Uh, I doubt an M1A2 would go up in flames from an RPG-7, even from the rear.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

mlmp08 posted:

Uh, I doubt an M1A2 would go up in flames from an RPG-7, even from the rear.
I recall a freak hit in 2003 penetrated the side armor of one, but didn't destroy it. IIRC, it was recovered, repaired and put back into service.

Edit: http://rense.com/general44/what.htm

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The M1 has blowout panels so that even if the ammo load does cook off, it gets vented outside the tank rather than cooking the crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7bOG2nD6k

The number one design priority for the Abrams was crew survivability. Everything else took a back seat. Transportability sat way in the back of the bus.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I grew up around a lot of pilots. My grandpa flew Beufighters and Bolingbrookes, my neighbour flew Lancasters, another flew Voodoos and my friend's dad flew Sabres in Korea.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My grandad was a ww2 pilot instructor in Harvards and a cousin flew CF-104s (and lived!!)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

The M1 has blowout panels so that even if the ammo load does cook off, it gets vented outside the tank rather than cooking the crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7bOG2nD6k

The number one design priority for the Abrams was crew survivability. Everything else took a back seat. Transportability sat way in the back of the bus.

Beats being launched out of said tank.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

priznat posted:

My grandad was a ww2 pilot instructor in Harvards and a cousin flew CF-104s (and lived!!)
I know there were a ton of bribes involved, but Lockheed still must have done the greatest sales job in history to sell the loving 104 as a fighter bomber.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

No the reason the F-104 got its reputation is that the Luftwaffe was using it as a low level strike aircraft which it was not designed for. It could not take the stresses placed on the airframe for these kinds of operations and consequently a lot of them crashed! In the air forces where it was used as an interceptor it preformed well and did not crash.

Edit: Hahahah Italy retired it in 2004!

mikerock fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 26, 2013

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Warbadger posted:

It's a propellant fire. The auto loader stores a bunch of propellant charges above the gun and it's exposed to the crew spaces. There's also ammunition (anything not in the carousel) and more propellant charges scattered about the crew spaces.

The armor on the sides of the tank is actually quite thin, so pretty much any old RPG can punch a hole through there and shoot a jet of molten metal into the crew compartment. At that point there's a really good chance that at least one propellant charge will light up and cause fire in the crew space which will then light up ALL the propellant charges, resulting in a tower of fire and potentially a flying turret.

Sometimes the fire (or whatever the tank was shot with) will also cause one of the High Explosive rounds to cook off, causing a catastrophic explosion.

I've seen one fuel fire nearly that violent. It's what ended the goon meet in the nevada desert 7 years ago or so.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mikerock posted:

No the reason the F-104 got its reputation is that the Luftwaffe was using it as a low level strike aircraft which it was not designed for. It could not take the stresses placed on the airframe for these kinds of operations and consequently a lot of them crashed! In the air forces where it was used as an interceptor it preformed well and did not crash.

A lot of air forces had high loss rates with it, it's not just that. But that's not fair either because at the time, a lot of air forces had high loss rates with everything.

Also, seconding or thirding the love for black painted combat aircraft. Okay so that one's a trainer, but you get the idea.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mikerock posted:

In Italy's defense, the -S's were basically psuedo-"Super Starfighters" that were already better performing than the original design when they entered service, and then they were continually upgraded throughout their service life...but yeah, operating them until 2004 is ludicrous no matter how you slice it.

And it was pretty much the bribes that got the F-104G sold to NATO as a low level strike/recon aircraft, because there's no logical reason the aircraft should've been chosen for that role.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I can't find it anywhere, but I remember reading about an incident where a German Starfighter suffered some sort of mishap that caused the pilot to eject. The plane then flew into Poland, where it managed to crash into a cabin in the middle of the woods. The memory of the article stuck with me because of the incredibly bad luck involved.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can't find it anywhere, but I remember reading about an incident where a German Starfighter suffered some sort of mishap that caused the pilot to eject. The plane then flew into Poland, where it managed to crash into a cabin in the middle of the woods. The memory of the article stuck with me because of the incredibly bad luck involved.

There's aways the Cornfield Bomber

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Oh come on now. Not nearly as good as the Mig-23 autopilot incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Belgian_MiG-23_crash

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't know about a NATO aircraft going east, but there was at least one incident of a Warsaw Pact aircraft going west...Polish Flogger took off, lost engine power, pilot ejected thinking the aircraft had suffered an engine failure, but the engine regained power and the aircraft stayed airborne. Crossed into East Germany, then West Germany, the Netherlands, before it finally crashed into a house in Belgium.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm thinking that was the incident. I guess that the person that told me the story thought it was a German fighter which crossed into Poland, or that he heard it differently.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Warbadger posted:

Oh come on now. Not nearly as good as the Mig-23 autopilot incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Belgian_MiG-23_crash

There's a story I read once about one of the B-17s in Operation Aphrodite. The controller lost contact with it and it just made a gradual descent to a belly landing in Europe. German troops surrounded it and yelled for the crew to surrender, got no response, and opened fire, at which point it blew up with great enthusiasm.

I think I read this in the instruction manual to Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe so it's probably not true, but it should be.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

There's a story I read once about one of the B-17s in Operation Aphrodite. The controller lost contact with it and it just made a gradual descent to a belly landing in Europe. German troops surrounded it and yelled for the crew to surrender, got no response, and opened fire, at which point it blew up with great enthusiasm.

I think I read this in the instruction manual to Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe so it's probably not true, but it should be.

I've heard this story about unmanned B-17s landing almost-safely, but I don't think they were of the flying-bomb variety. A better-sourced example of a post-ejection airplane landing itself can be found here.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I'm heading on a trip through some Eastern European countries this summer, specifically Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. I was wondering if there were any interesting cold war related places to visit?

Hoeni
Dec 31, 2006
All I ever wanted.
For Romania I would recommend chekcing out the peoples palace in Bucarest itself. They have tunnels also under the city, which you may or may not be able to see via a guided tour. Pretty impressive. If you are into Bunkers, I may be able to give you some detials on an abandoned nuclear shelter in/close to Bucarest which can be visited. If you dare to be unable to read romanian "get out!" signs that is...

Czech:
Not cold war, but more WW2: the border to Poland and Germany is dotted with smal bunkers in the style of the Maginot line. Some of the bigger ones were used during the cold war as command and control centres as well as storage. Some of those can be visited now as a tourist. The small ones close to the border are 50% open, unattended, vandalised and stripped barebones, but nevertheless might be interesting to see.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MG42 posted:

I'm heading on a trip through some Eastern European countries this summer, specifically Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. I was wondering if there were any interesting cold war related places to visit?

Take a trip on down to Ukraine and go to Pripyat. Don't wear your favorite shoes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

StandardVC10 posted:

I've heard this story about unmanned B-17s landing almost-safely, but I don't think they were of the flying-bomb variety. A better-sourced example of a post-ejection airplane landing itself can be found here.

The Battle of Palmdale is still my favorite.

F6F drone vs. F-89Ds.

http://www.thexhunters.com/xpeditions/f6f-5k_accident.html

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

StandardVC10 posted:

I remember a B-17 that made a semi-successful crash landing after all the crew bailed out. There's a picture of it in the background while you see a B-17 divot in the ground in the foreground.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

The Battle of Palmdale is still my favorite.

F6F drone vs. F-89Ds.

http://www.thexhunters.com/xpeditions/f6f-5k_accident.html

I agree, I think I brought it up in this thread earlier. :v:

Though I still love the mental image of a rural sheriff staring down a belly-landed fighter, phoning up the spit-polish whiz kids from the Cold War air force, and asking "well, what am I supposed to DO with it?"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Taerkar posted:

I remember a B-17 that made a semi-successful crash landing after all the crew bailed out. There's a picture of it in the background while you see a B-17 divot in the ground in the foreground.

Isn't that the Lady Be Good?

e. http://www.ladybegood.com/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Brown Moses just posted this thorough analysis of the video of the Syrian T-72 getting destroyed by a projectile. It's translated from Russian using google, so it reads a little awkwardly, but is understandable.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forum...l=1#post6553449

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

mlmp08 posted:

Brown Moses just posted this thorough analysis of the video of the Syrian T-72 getting destroyed by a projectile. It's translated from Russian using google, so it reads a little awkwardly, but is understandable.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forum...l=1#post6553449

I thought the most interesting part of that analysis was the "Heroic soldiers / murdering terrorists" tone of the description. Really gives you an idea of how the conflict is seen in Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Time lapse video of the boneyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_BAUFRFeY

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Take a trip on down to Ukraine and go to Pripyat. Don't wear your favorite shoes.

I was working for a nuclear power plant last year and took a trip to Chernobyl. Both my shoes and clothing checked out when I took them to work to get swabbed, and I'd been wandering around all over the place.

However, there is a lot of broken glass. At least take shoes that are good for that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Airman is a dumb moto magazine, but they do some really cool stuff visually, both with stills and video.

e: Ed Rasimus passed away yesterday...he was the author of a couple of excellent books that have been mentioned earlier in the thread: When Thunder Rolled, about his first tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder, and Palace Cobra, about his second tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker. He also co-authored Robin Olds's memoirs, and from all accounts was an all-around good dude.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 31, 2013

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

iyaayas01 posted:

Airman is a dumb moto magazine, but they do some really cool stuff visually, both with stills and video.

e: Ed Rasimus passed away yesterday...he was the author of a couple of excellent books that have been mentioned earlier in the thread: When Thunder Rolled, about his first tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder, and Palace Cobra, about his second tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker. He also co-authored Robin Olds's memoirs, and from all accounts was an all-around good dude.

He was a great dude. He and I would chat occasionally on Facebook.

I never met the man, but he always made me feel like we were friends.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Thanks for the suggestions. The bunkers sound cool and we'll be visiting those. We sadly won't be visiting Ukraine, as cool as Pripyat sounds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

That video really strikes me as perfect for the Air Force. The audio is what it claims to be, the video shows what it really is.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

That video really strikes me as perfect for the Air Force. The audio is what it claims to be, the video shows what it really is.

:lol:

Cross posting from the movies thread...

Speaking of Tom Hanks, him, Spielberg, and Graham Yost are in the process of putting together another WWII miniseries for HBO, this one is about the 8th AF.

It's going to loving own, calling it already. Like I don't think I can describe the chubby I already have for this show, and I just heard about it today and it's probably still at least a year+ out from airing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress YES. That's gonna own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

All I want is an epic 12 part mini-series about the Philliphines, complete with the Battle Of Samar and at least three episodes about the battle of Manila.