Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I'm a huge map collector, and love the more obscure and revanchist ones.

Venezuelan maps claiming half of Guyana:

"A dagger pointed at the heart of Antarctica":

Middle East:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Ecuadorean revanchist map:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Dalmatia is Italian!

Greek:

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Mercator Projection's Eurocentrism and Americentrism

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

That map looks pretty Afro-centric to me.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's not politically-motivated per se, but it's certainly got its own bias to it:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TheImmigrant posted:

That map looks pretty Afro-centric to me.

Africa is way smaller than it should be and Greenland is enormous.

That's the Winkel tripel projection.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's not politically-motivated per se, but it's certainly got its own bias to it:

This one gives me nausea, I feel like I'm upside down.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Kurtofan posted:

Peirce Quincuncial, my favorite projection. It's so New World Order it hurts.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Thank goodness this map makes it clear:

Oh. Hmm...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

Dalmatia is Italian!

Greek:

Good thing the greeks and the turks kicked each other out of their countries so they can't claim each others turf anymore. :v:
Right? :eng99:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Africa is way smaller than it should be and Greenland is enormous.

That's the Winkel tripel projection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Vietnam has refused to stamp the new passport at border crossings, opting to staple visas to its pages instead. The Indian embassy in Beijing has been stamping the passports with another map depicting the two disputed Himalayan regions as India's territory.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 1, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lawman 0 posted:

Good thing the greeks and the turks kicked each other out of their countries so they can't claim each others turf anymore. :v:
Right? :eng99:

Right. :sigh:

Meanwhile, on the other side of Turkey...

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Politically-loaded maps? Don't mind if I do!

This one is titled "europe-stateless-nations.gif" and is a redrawing of the continent along ethnic and/or linguistic borders, I think.

Something for the historians:

The ultimate revanchist map:

And finally what we always wanted to know:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Africa is actually really big.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Politically-loaded maps? Don't mind if I do!

This one is titled "europe-stateless-nations.gif" and is a redrawing of the continent along ethnic and/or linguistic borders, I think.

Could you get one in a bigger size I can't make out the smaller um 'nations'? :stare:

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Posting this picture on Facebook could quite possibly get you banned.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Could you get one in a bigger size I can't make out the smaller um 'nations'? :stare:

The guy who makes these is an acquaintance through some other people I know, here's the map on his website.

http://www.eurominority.eu/version/maps/map-nations2.asp

Western France in 4 regions, allowing Brittany to be reunited.

e: Here's the current map of French regions, for comparison.

and another map with proposed mergers between other regions for cost saving purposes.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 1, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just got a good look at the Balkans and jesus christ what a mess! :stonk:
No wonder why they despise each other.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I work with electronic charts and maps all the time, so I always use Orthographic projection because it’s the best as it’s a close representation to how earth actually looks like. Then again I always change the 4 color country system to solid colors because it looks better and represents my naive notion that even if countries/people hate each other, we are still a species dividing a single planet with imaginary lines.

That said I don't mind Mercator when I have to use paper nautical charts.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lawman 0 posted:

I just got a good look at the Balkans and jesus christ what a mess! :stonk:
No wonder why they despise each other.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Greater Texas. A friend who was working at the state capitol building recently saw a bunch of Texan secessionists affiliated with the Texan Nationalist Movement running around with their t-shirts and flags. He said they looked like disheveled and resentful petit-bourgeois types, and pretty much alienated everyone. Though I think they want to keep the state borders as is.

This map above was taken from the website of the Republic of Texas, which shares the name of another group that got into an armed standoff with the Rangers in the 1990s, which included some hostage-taking too. But I don't know if the new ROT is the same group, or one of the splinter factions. These were also Texan claims. In one of the more inglorious chapters of our history, a military expedition ordered by President Mirabeau B. Lamar to seize Sante Fe and New Mexico in 1841 was repulsed by a much larger Mexican army force that wasn't supposed to be there. (A failed conquest doesn't quite make it into the lore like the Alamo.)

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
poo poo, I was just about to post a Texas map too. Oh well, it's still somewhat distinct.

Maps of the Republic of Texas commonly show the full claims as its territory, but in truth it was barely able to control the 'accepted' territory. It was allowed to retain its claimed borders upon entry to the Union, but traded much of it in exchange for the federal government taking up its old debts. Which was fortunate, as Texas was saber rattling and sending state troops to assert its claims to New Mexico against the US, which likely would not have ended well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Always my favorite map/political cartoon:

I just love everyone ganging up on Austria-Hungary to steal his boots.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

The guy who makes these is an acquaintance through some other people I know, here's the map on his website.

http://www.eurominority.eu/version/maps/map-nations2.asp

Western France in 4 regions, allowing Brittany to be reunited.

e: Here's the current map of French regions, for comparison.

and another map with proposed mergers between other regions for cost saving purposes.

Val de Loire sounds so much better.

"Centre" and "Pays de la Loire" are the worst names.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

I see the British lion and the Russian Bear, but what the hell kind of frog is that representing France?

Also, why are the Triple Entente members labeled as "Darwinist" as if it's a political faction or form of government?

Anyways, love that map! The "Clanker" Triple Alliance is so :black101:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not sure if that's the best part, or the obvious "MUSLIMSSSSS" down in Morocco.

Even the Japanese were all up on the "Let's make World War I countries into caricatures" thing:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's not the land.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm not sure if that's the best part, or the obvious "MUSLIMSSSSS" down in Morocco.
The best part is the Ottoman Empire cutting off their own head.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It still boggles my mind whenever I see a global map that isn't centered on England (Greenwich?)

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 1, 2013

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
There was a BBC 4 show about maps called "Power, Plunder and Possession". It was a very interesting look into how maps and the territory they depict aren't as matter-of-fact as they're often taken to be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s5m7w/episodes/guide

I have absolutely no idea where you'd go about finding this if you want to watch it but I'd encourage doing so if you're interested in this topic.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

pope archibald posted:

Also, why are the Triple Entente members labeled as "Darwinist" as if it's a political faction or form of government?

Anyways, love that map! The "Clanker" Triple Alliance is so :black101:

That map is actually from an alternate history novel where the Darwinists use genetic engineering or something to crate living tanks, airships etc., to fight the Clanker steampunk hordes.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
http://mondoweiss.net/2012/05/artifacts-of-the-early-israel-lobby-1917-map-for-american-consumption.html

http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesciencebookstore/2010/02/propaganda-maps-potential-nazi-supporters-1938.html

al-Idrisi's map from the 13th century for Roger of Sicily, with the Arabs at the center of the world (Sicily is also really huge). Gog and Magog are in Russia :)

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 1, 2013

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Brilliant!

Kurtofan posted:

Val de Loire sounds so much better.

"Centre" and "Pays de la Loire" are the worst names.

Creuse is an apt one.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
1938 German propaganda poster

Churchill's Yalta plan for German partition

Roosevelt's Yalta plan for German partition

Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau's partition plan, to permanently remove Germany's industrial capability. This plan was publicly printed, and became a German propaganda point.

German propaganda posted touting a supposed plan for total removal of the nation

Zones of occupation, 1945

East and West Germany, 1949. Green is the Saar protectorate, brown is the International Authority for the Ruhr, yellow is W. Berlin.

East and West Germany (W. Berlin in green). The Ruhr Authority was Disestablished in 1952, after West Germany agreed to join the European Coal and Steel Community. In 1957, the Saar rejoined West Germany after a plebiscite (what is now the flag of the EU has a symbolic 12 stars because a dispute over the independence of the Saar made it too troublesome to have them actually stand for Council of Europe member nations).

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 1, 2013

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's not the land.

That reminds me of the Korean view of the world. In Korean, the Yellow Sea is the West Sea, the Tsushima Strait the South Sea, and the Sea of Japan (they hate that it's called this in English) the East Sea.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
This 1963 map is a little disappointing at first glance, because it's pretty dang close to modern borders:

What's surprising is how much it conflicted with underlying ethnic realities:

Instead the border represents, rather closely, the Treaty of London. These were the Dutch possessions in 1840:

Unsurprisingly, given the anticolonialism of the 1960s, the Philippines and Indonesia objected. The Philippine claim petered out into a slow-burning Muslim insurgency on its own soil which still exists today, in the same region marked as Muslim above. The Indonesian claim exploded into the Konfrontasi, which eventually ended under Indonesian domestic distractions (namely, the New Order purges), although Indonesia would continue to have secessionism in Timor and Aceh. Modern East Timor isn't visible on that map, but Aceh is the northern tip of Sumatra, identified there as Atjehnese.

The educated Dutch-educated post-colonial elite in Java succeeding in defining an Indonesian identity for the rest of modern Indonesia, in the same way that the elite Malays of the new Malaysian redefined Malay to include the new ethnicities. All things considered, this was probably one of the more successful "draw a line in the sand/jungle and call it a day" post-colonial border drawing.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This is a Korean map from 1402. That's Europe, Africa and Arabia on the left, Korea on the right, and Japan way down on the bottom right (rotated 90 degrees for some reason)

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 2, 2013