Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I logged in last night (finally) and played a dwarven fighter for around an hour. I'm fine with permadeath, but the dialogue is too slow and the overall game seems very, very slow. After an hour, I was still powering through the tutorial! I feel like the game rules are convoluted, but that might just be the effect of being forced to downgrade my reading speed by a factor of 10.

In my opinion, the UI could use a lot of work, too, at least in the usability department. Why can't I resize windows so I can see more? And I found nothing compelling about combat, which isn't as fluid as the controls seem to indicate. For example, after I attack, there's a short delay before I can jump back.

All told, I also felt like I was playing Final Fantasy wrapped in a "hardcore" theme. I'd really like to play FFXI, but Wizardry Online just didn't feel like Wizardry (V) to me. That said, I might try a thief next time and go criminal, but I don't think this game is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shlapintogan posted:

The servers are swamped and there are apparently some internal issues that need ironing out. If we could stay connected and not have some hideous rubberbanding, I'd be totally okay with having to wait a little while at the connection screen, but unfortunately, that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'd give it a little while. If the servers aren't pulled back down, people should eventually get tired of hammering the poo poo out of the servers and go to bed or something, which should open them up to the rest of us.

Thanks for the advice. I'm stuck at work until 6am EST, so maybe it'll be sorted out enough I can at least create a character when I get hom.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Back on the game itself. Is anyone else on Deltis Keep? I'm able to stay in there for a good while, but the absurd drop rates in there make it hard to continue for too long without my bags filling up. I really wish that stuff you equipped didn't stay in your bag, since you're not "carrying" the stuff, you're wearing it.

In any case, if anyone is wandering around Deltis Keep on Merryweather and they want help, I'm up for some explorin'.

Yeah, I started that dungeon late last night, explored a bunch. It was going well, got past the first statue, and then ran into a pissed off angry purple-aura dude. I walked into a side room with a couple enemies, started beating the poo poo out of them, and then all of a sudden... Bam, dead. I think it was stealthed or something.

I love this game.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Dawnfire posted:

Only problem I've had with mage so far is that I always get aggro immediately when in a group. My 2mp fire shot will typically out damage a thief's backstab and do multiple times as much damage as a fighter's regular attacks will do. My 5mp nuke will do something like 300-500 damage. I'm also sill SL1 and character level 5 and only barely finished the first dungeon.

How much were you hitting for out of the box? I do not remember mages hitting this hard until they got SR 2 or 3.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Welp. The lag is making the game unplayable right now, so I'm definitely going to wait until tomorrow before trying to play again.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Bashez posted:

How much were you hitting for out of the box? I do not remember mages hitting this hard until they got SR 2 or 3.

I'm not exactly sure. I haven't even spent any skill points beyond the one to unlock the next fire spell. I am level 5 with 21 int, but not sure if that amount is really what's pumping out that much damage. The staff I was using only has 10 more magic attack then the starter one, as well.

I do only hit around 100-200 with my 2mp shot. It's just the nuke that I tear stuff up with.

Edit: It might be that I'm actually using a staff instead of that pitiful magic knife you start with. You get a beginner staff at some point before the first dungeon and I switched to that fast. It bumps up your magic attack by like 30.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV
I like being the hang back mage in this game anyway. As long as I can find some trustworthy teammates then I don't mind if my dps lowers during midgame.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Dawnfire posted:

I'm not exactly sure. I haven't even spent any skill points beyond the one to unlock the next fire spell. I am level 5 with 21 int, but not sure if that amount is really what's pumping out that much damage. The staff I was using only has 10 more magic attack then the starter one, as well.

I do only hit around 100-200 with my 2mp shot. It's just the nuke that I tear stuff up with.

Edit: It might be that I'm actually using a staff instead of that pitiful magic knife you start with. You get a beginner staff at some point before the first dungeon and I switched to that fast. It bumps up your magic attack by like 30.

Okay yeah, the staff is a huge help. And I interpreted this as your normal nuke doing 300 for some reason. Fighters are about to start stabbing things for 200 and you're going to feel silly for a bit as a mage (my group mates chain does 300-500-800 and fires pretty quick, SR3 gear). I don't know how well mages scale past this because everyone seems to quit right about then. I'm pretty sure they get ridiculous damage but no idea yet.

Edit: Aggro is also really ridiculous to control, I sometimes get aggro without doing anything so always be on your toes as a mage.

Edit2: I'm not trying to be a dick by the way. I'm hoping to prepare you for what, as far as I know, is a pretty imbalanced class structure at this point in the game. This is in hopes of getting you to stick with your mage. I'd like to see one in temple of oblivion some time!

Bashez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 1, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PureRok posted:

Welp. The lag is making the game unplayable right now, so I'm definitely going to wait until tomorrow before trying to play again.
This is the biggest problem for me so far. The combat is so reflexive and action-oriented that even normal MMO latency would be way more pronounced than usual, not to mention the lag coming off their lovely servers. Sounds like they're working on it though.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've never played Wizardry before, but I'm always interested in hardcore games. I'm in the empty Mumble channel just finished installing. If anyone wants to join me for newbie questing, come hang out!

E: welp, I can't connect to the server.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
If you're stuck at the 'connect' part you just have to wait for like 10-20 minutes. It takes a while but you get through.

homeless snail posted:

This is the biggest problem for me so far. The combat is so reflexive and action-oriented that even normal MMO latency would be way more pronounced than usual, not to mention the lag coming off their lovely servers. Sounds like they're working on it though.

Yeah, this. It's getting so terrible right now. As a mage you pretty much rely on the dodge to survive, but at this juncture the game rubberbands you to the exact position you were when you started the rubberband. It basically warps you back infront of the enemy to take their strike. Good luck doing much solo with how bad the lag is right now.

Game's nigh unplayable until they fix this problem.

Edit: Looks like the servers are getting worse. Now I can't even connect. It says authorization servers are full and to try again later.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 1, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Managed to get the spear I was after just before the server maintenance tonight. Looking forward to managing to rubberband it into some plants.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
I'm having fun with this so far in the first "real" dungeon. I'm in as soul name: Maryjane Character name: Smoking with my backstabbin thief.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Don't forget to tell them about the three thousand coin inn stay you bought afterwards, Mr. moneybags.

Anyone know how to respec in the game? I don't need one yet, but I'm curious so I know how much leeway I have to experiment with the mage skill tree. I'm a bit afraid to spend any points right now as I'm not sure what will be best.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Explorer Ezreal, is that you?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Dawnfire posted:

Don't forget to tell them about the three thousand coin inn stay you bought afterwards, Mr. moneybags.

Anyone know how to respec in the game? I don't need one yet, but I'm curious so I know how much leeway I have to experiment with the mage skill tree. I'm a bit afraid to spend any points right now as I'm not sure what will be best.

I am pretty certain you can't respec. Just try and go for skills that are for your alignment, and maybe try and stick to one tree unless there's something you REALLY want on the other side of the tree (I'm looking at you, equipment weight boost :argh:)

e: Well gently caress. I'm getting "Authentication servers full" when I try connecting. I just want to play the game :(

Also, the game has been delisted from Steam because people are totally upset about MMO launch pains.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 1, 2013

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I found out. Apparently the only way to get a skill reset is to buy it off the cash shop for a mere $15. For a character that can perma-die. :shepface:

Really dumb to attach such a high cost to it, but reading up it seems like you're going to end up class switching a lot anyway. Going with that, I've decided to just put at least one point in all the witchcraft spells to try them out, and I'm actually liking the variety. Having more then one element allows you to switch off between CDs which lets you take down stuff faster. Downside is that it also makes you drain your mp faster as well.

I thought Mana steal might help with how much mp mage uses, but reading it on the wiki it sounds woefully underpowered. It's a base 7-9 mp steal at first level that only works on very specific mobs with a 60 second cd.

Question about soul form, though. If you get hit by a reaper once, do you lose that 10% chance of revival forever? Or is that going to recover the next time you die?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It should recover the next time you die.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What sort of micro-transactions are there? Installing now, "Dark Souls the MMO" had convinced me to sign up there and then.

e; I can't connect I was expecting this but why can't I can play something I'm genuinely excited about I'm going into things totally blind. :gonk:

e2; holy poo poo that intro and cut to the name screen. :laffo:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 1, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

I found out. Apparently the only way to get a skill reset is to buy it off the cash shop for a mere $15. For a character that can perma-die. :shepface:
I think its perfect, actually. Most of the microtransactions are there to exploit superspergs that can't cope with their character's mortality. The kind of person that savescums in nethack or Fire Emblem. They also sell consumables that increase your resurrection chance.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I think its perfect, actually. Most of the microtransactions are there to exploit superspergs that can't cope with their character's mortality. The kind of person that savescums in nethack or Fire Emblem. They also sell consumables that increase your resurrection chance.

I believe it's also cheaper to buy 90 red potions in the shop and spend the life material at the soul chick.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Shlapintogan posted:

I am pretty certain you can't respec. Just try and go for skills that are for your alignment, and maybe try and stick to one tree unless there's something you REALLY want on the other side of the tree (I'm looking at you, equipment weight boost :argh:)

e: Well gently caress. I'm getting "Authentication servers full" when I try connecting. I just want to play the game :(

Also, the game has been delisted from Steam because people are totally upset about MMO launch pains.

It's baffling to me a bit because I don't see how it went from "pretty drat fine" to "Completely unplayable once you log in" in just one stroke from closed beta to open. :psyduck: Did the playerbase number leap that drat hard or did something go wrong?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Hell it wasnt half as bad before the 5 hour maintenance. Something they did during the maintenance probably caused it.

Its just mindboggling that they spent 5 hours on trying to improve latency but ended up making it far, far worse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Came in expecting a grim aesthetic akin to Dark Souls. Got pointy eared gnomes and large busted elves. :catstare:

Compelling game so far though. Lot of stuff to take in, mind.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

poptart_fairy posted:

Came in expecting a grim aesthetic akin to Dark Souls. Got pointy eared gnomes and large busted elves. :catstare:

Compelling game so far though. Lot of stuff to take in, mind.

Well, it is based on this series:

PureRok fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 1, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm not actually familiar with the series. I thought it was an old isometric RPG! :v:

e; man, I wanna stick with mage but the mana issues are a pain in the rear end. I don't have any melee ability to fall back on either.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 1, 2013

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm not actually familiar with the series. I thought it was an old isometric RPG! :v:

Yeah, Wizardry is one of the oldest of the old-school games, right up there with Ultima and the Bard's Tale. The original series was all first-person wireframe mazes (see the initial wireframe in the intro? That.) with the occasional "An Encounter" where your party would be assaulted by groups of monsters with a simple bitmap and curious names like Creeping Cruds and Vorpal Bunnies. The graphics that the previous poster showed were from Labyrinth of Lost Souls (must resist urge to make a bad joke about that acronym), a multi-platform game that combined much of the original gameplay with updated graphics and a storyline depending on who your leader was. The LoLS gameplay had a few crucial differences from its original generation counterparts that turned some Western players off though., namely the all-or-nothing manner that later floors' monsters tended to be, and the inclusion of an auto map feature (something which the original series DID NOT HAVE until the 7th game).

Its MMO equivalent has started out with merely the barest ties to the series, which has disappointed some players. Frankly, I was hoping for more than just the four basic classes (the first games also had Lords, Samurai, Bishops, and Ninja; while 6-8 also had Psionics, Alchemists, Valkyries, Monks, and Gadgeteers), and a storyline that connected to the Western games.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

teh winnar! posted:

Yeah, Wizardry is one of the oldest of the old-school games, right up there with Ultima and the Bard's Tale. The original series was all first-person wireframe mazes (see the initial wireframe in the intro? That.) with the occasional "An Encounter" where your party would be assaulted by groups of monsters with a simple bitmap and curious names like Creeping Cruds and Vorpal Bunnies. The graphics that the previous poster showed were from Labyrinth of Lost Souls (must resist urge to make a bad joke about that acronym), a multi-platform game that combined much of the original gameplay with updated graphics and a storyline depending on who your leader was. The LoLS gameplay had a few crucial differences from its original generation counterparts that turned some Western players off though., namely the all-or-nothing manner that later floors' monsters tended to be, and the inclusion of an auto map feature (something which the original series DID NOT HAVE until the 7th game).

Its MMO equivalent has started out with merely the barest ties to the series, which has disappointed some players. Frankly, I was hoping for more than just the four basic classes (the first games also had Lords, Samurai, Bishops, and Ninja; while 6-8 also had Psionics, Alchemists, Valkyries, Monks, and Gadgeteers), and a storyline that connected to the Western games.

LoLS is not the only one with an anime aesthetic. The Wizardry series just became big (relatively) in Japan and the rights to it were passed or sold or whatever to a Japanese company and it turned into having the anime style starting in 2001 with the PS2 game Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. The original developer closed it's doors in 2003. Labyrinth of Lost Souls a new game released in the US on PSN.

Edit: This is the artist for the (new) Wizardry series, by the way: Yuki Hayabusa. The site may be :nws:, but there's no nudity anywhere as far as I've seen.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 1, 2013

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
so is anyone actually able to play this game since the update? all I get is that window that says connect while the music loops over and over.

e: looks like I'm impatient. that was a hilarious cut scene intro.

Any one need a Priest to follow them around?

vvvv no kidding? that is insane for a new mmo launch.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Gegil posted:

so is anyone actually able to play this game since the update? all I get is that window that says connect while the music loops over and over.

That's the connect screen. It takes 15-20 minutes to connect. Unless the VerificationServer is full or whatever. Then you can't get in.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hmmmm. I generally try not to be too down on games at launch, but I've only been able to log in to this thing once and it's really starting to bring me down.

You guys have any luck getting in? I'm starting to wonder if something isn't cached on my side that shouldn't be and is loving up my chi.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm in the EU server right now, but getting frustrated by most of my time spent watching a mana bar tick upwards again. Bloody mages. :saddowns:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Im on the US servers cause i wanna play with goons. Being a euro makes me wonder wether the rubberbanding is due to general lagginess or due to me playing from half a globe away.

I got in instantly a couple of hours ago, but that was probably just a stroke of luck.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

poptart_fairy posted:

e; man, I wanna stick with mage but the mana issues are a pain in the rear end. I don't have any melee ability to fall back on either.

The mana issues aren't TOO bad eventually. Does depend on race choice partially, because it has some effect on your base mana. Not sure if race choice has any effect on mana gained per level, but probably not. At the start they're particularly bad because you do have a really small pool, but you get more as you level and it's a good while before you can pick up any spells that actually provide a real drain on it. I've got about 150 at level 9 and it lasts an okay while. Just about as much as a priest's tends to in a party.

It's good to make use of the beginning fountain in any zone, because it's actually quite easy to run past a lot of mobs back to the start to regen your mana and health. Also good to carry and use campfires, because they're pretty cheap and do a good job at helping with mana problems in the beginning.

Edit:

Shlapintogan posted:

It should recover the next time you die.

Thanks for the answer for this. I was a little nervous about it because it'd make the game seem like an ever losing fight to keep your character from perma-death.

Double edit: We should probably see about starting a steam group for this game, if someone's willing. Would be an easier way to find and setup groups with goons playing. People should also remember to hop onto the mumble to see about finding other goons currently.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 1, 2013

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
What the hell are Life Materials?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I was able to log in with almost no delay a few minutes ago, but the lag in game is making things pretty much unplayable. I was rubberbanding so hard I couldn't move more than 10-20 feet from where I logged in. Guess I'll try again tomorrow morning when less people are playing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, the maintenance made it so my time between login attempts (and finding out the authorization server is full) is down to like 3 minutes from 10. So that's a plus. :v:

Still wouldn't mind actually being able to play though. :argh:

fungi^2
Oct 2, 2004

people say i'm a fun guy
Jumped in on this last night but the rubber banding has kept me from getting through the first dungeon. Standard launch issues though and I'm sure it'll be cleared up in the next couple of days.

Hoping a goon guild for some jolly cooperation pops out of this thread.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

BombiTheZombie posted:

Im on the US servers cause i wanna play with goons. Being a euro makes me wonder wether the rubberbanding is due to general lagginess or due to me playing from half a globe away.

I got in instantly a couple of hours ago, but that was probably just a stroke of luck.
Join mumble!
Everyone rubberbands incredibly bad, so we're all on par with each other in terms of lag :smith:

Dawnfire posted:

Double edit: We should probably see about starting a steam group for this game, if someone's willing. Would be an easier way to find and setup groups with goons playing. People should also remember to hop onto the mumble to see about finding other goons currently.
Done. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WOGoons

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

quote:

The Wizardry Online servers will be coming down at 4:45 PM US Pacific Time* on Friday, February 1, 2013 for maintenance. The estimated downtime is 5 hours.

quote:

We're pretty sure the connect issue is licked. This maintenance is to address the rubberbanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Glad they're finally going to try and deal with the rubberbanding directly. That stuff made the game awful.

Great! This should hopefully help with people trying to meet up with other goons. Remember to use or check in on the mumble and now the steam group's chat room.

• Locked thread