Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Holy poo poo my copy of Donkey Kong Jr. that I bought the other day for 6 bucks was a converter version. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Now I have a good reason to get Lagrange Point from Surugaya :getin:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Not really. I hated Lagrange Point for being a completely generic, grindy JRPG.
It has save points in places right before bosses way deep in dungeons with no means of restoring HP or MP, shops, or warp points.

Oh, and stupid looking monsters.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
There's a Hogan's Alley with a converter for $23 if anyone is looking for one. I highly recommend Game C - Trick Shot if I haven't said so before. Also it's from Connecticut for any of you New England goons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogans-Alley-Nintendo-1984-With-Famicom-Converter-NES-/261163101549?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cce88ad6d

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It has the VRC7 and has a great soundtrack :colbert: Grindiness aside I still want to play it.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

univbee posted:

Well, this is fun. Ordered 25 Universal Game Cases from a Canadian distributor (the U.S. ones charge more on shipping than on the product itself and would have been way too expensive) and just got them today. Turns out there's a variation on the UGCs that doesn't have the outer sleeve to slip box art into. :negative:

If anyone else is looking for smaller orders of Universal Game Cases, I have about 50 extra left over from my last order. I could do 75 cents each plus actual shipping costs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Monitor Burn posted:

If anyone else is looking for smaller orders of Universal Game Cases, I have about 50 extra left over from my last order. I could do 75 cents each plus actual shipping costs.

I'd be down.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I got intrigued, so I checked on VRC7 and Lagrange Point.
Turns out it's the one and only cart to use it.

I bought it new back then and played through, but it really paled in comparison to contemporaries like FF3 and DQ3.
Coming nearly half a year after SFC's release didn't help.
I met its director and complained about the terrible save spot placements. (I was utterly fearless--read "rude"--as EGM's foreign correspondent back then.)
I remember it as having a taller cassette like HAL's Metal Slader Glory (I think), Nintendo's Yakuman Tengoku (mah jong), and Enix's Just Breed (...nice name, came out fully two year after SFC's release when DQV and FFV were out/around the corner so it naturally bombed, it also sucked). I'm not sure if these taller carts had any special chips in them other than larger capacity, though.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Looks like I can't send you a pm; you can email me at

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I've won a boxed Famicom copy of Tecmo Super Bowl for 1 Cent ($7 shipping). :retrogames:

While we're on Famicom games, I mentioned 2 ebay sellers that I've used that are great, but I'll recommend one you stay away from, susi-sumo-jpn. Loose carts start at about 8 dollars each and go up from there.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mace Bacon posted:

I've won a boxed Famicom copy of Tecmo Super Bowl for 1 Cent ($7 shipping). :retrogames:

While we're on Famicom games, I mentioned 2 ebay sellers that I've used that are great, but I'll recommend one you stay away from, susi-sumo-jpn. Loose carts start at about 8 dollars each and go up from there.

That is awesome! Jealous.

When I get my bonus I want to go buy a few pounds of Famicom games. :v: I just can't resist those colorful carts, their moon language, and their convenient form factor!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
After a lot of fighting my stupid new model 1 it's finally modded properly with s-video and rca audio coming directly off the audio chip instead of through the headphone jack. It sounds way better and looks just as sexy. Now if only there was a way to get a Mega Everdrive with a shell :negative:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

After a lot of fighting my stupid new model 1 it's finally modded properly with s-video and rca audio coming directly off the audio chip instead of through the headphone jack. It sounds way better and looks just as sexy. Now if only there was a way to get a Mega Everdrive with a shell :negative:

Try here:

http://ithic.com/en/retro/64-mega-everdrive-incl-shell.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

$20 cheaper and in the US? Sold.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I got intrigued, so I checked on VRC7 and Lagrange Point.
Turns out it's the one and only cart to use it.

I bought it new back then and played through, but it really paled in comparison to contemporaries like FF3 and DQ3.
Coming nearly half a year after SFC's release didn't help.
I met its director and complained about the terrible save spot placements. (I was utterly fearless--read "rude"--as EGM's foreign correspondent back then.)
I remember it as having a taller cassette like HAL's Metal Slader Glory (I think), Nintendo's Yakuman Tengoku (mah jong), and Enix's Just Breed (...nice name, came out fully two year after SFC's release when DQV and FFV were out/around the corner so it naturally bombed, it also sucked). I'm not sure if these taller carts had any special chips in them other than larger capacity, though.

Metal Slader Glory and Just Breed both use the MMC5 chip, no idea about Yakuman. It's the same chip used in the NES version of Castlevania 3, but I can't think of any other NES games that used it offhand. (The Famicom version of CV3 used Konami's VRC6 chip which was essentially the same thing but with a couple extra audio channels, hence the nicer music.)

I never did play Just Breed, but I seem to remember it being one of those games that fell way behind schedule and took years and years to come out. No wonder it flopped.

EDIT: RE: Lagrange Point and the stupid-looking monsters, I heard that the game was developed as part of a promotion for some gaming magazine, with a lot of the content decided via reader's poll.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 1, 2013

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
I have a converter Gyromite if anyone wants it. I wouldn't mind just trading it for a retro game or two. (As long as it's decent and not on this list)

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 1, 2013

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what
I finally took the plunge and bought myself an Everdrive 64, and I'm a little confused as to how to set it up. I've downloaded everything in the "Downloads" section of Krikzz's site, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to go on the SD card.
This is what I have:

Latest OS update (OS64.v64)
Latest Firmware Update (ed-64-fw-v1.15.pof)
USB Driver/USB Loader (I'm assuming I won't need these as I ordered one without a USB port)
NES emulator (emu.nes)
ED64-IO Sources (whole bunch of files)

I've made a folder called "ED64" and put the files OS64.v64 and emu.nes in there, is that me good to go? Or do I need to do something with the firmware update (ed-64-fw-v1.15.pof)?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any advice on how I would go about troubleshooting a Super Gameboy? I just bought some Gameboy games to try on it, I cleaned the games, replaced the batteries and tested them on a Gameboy Adavance, they work fine. When using them on the Super Gameboy though it was very hit or miss at the start and now I can't seem to get them going at all. Now the Super Gameboy turns on but it shows a picture of a Gameboy Cart with a red cross through it.

The Super Gameboy has been taken apart and all the contacts cleaned, I'm not sure what else to do?

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
:retrogames: These came through today. Not finished Secret of Mana yet and i've already bought another 2 RPGS :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Captain Hilarious posted:

I finally took the plunge and bought myself an Everdrive 64, and I'm a little confused as to how to set it up. I've downloaded everything in the "Downloads" section of Krikzz's site, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to go on the SD card.
This is what I have:

Latest OS update (OS64.v64)
Latest Firmware Update (ed-64-fw-v1.15.pof)
USB Driver/USB Loader (I'm assuming I won't need these as I ordered one without a USB port)
NES emulator (emu.nes)
ED64-IO Sources (whole bunch of files)

I've made a folder called "ED64" and put the files OS64.v64 and emu.nes in there, is that me good to go? Or do I need to do something with the firmware update (ed-64-fw-v1.15.pof)?

1) Format sd card to fat32
2) Make a folder named "ED64"
3) Extract Latest OS update to that folder
4) Put games on card

If you have a 2.0 card you can apply the firmware update if yours shows out of date but not sure how that works.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I remember hearing about launch NES converter carts and checked my local retro store for one, but no luck. I don't even have any Famicon games or a real use for one, but I kind of want one just to say I have it. :retrogames: And buying one confirmed online almost seems too easy, so maybe I'll just keep it as kind of an easter egg hunt challenge for me to just try to find one locally in one of my city's several dozen pawn shops.

Some of the appeal of retro collecting is the thrill of the hunt, I guess, which is something I can't get on e-bay.

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

flyboi posted:

1) Format sd card to fat32
2) Make a folder named "ED64"
3) Extract Latest OS update to that folder
4) Put games on card

If you have a 2.0 card you can apply the firmware update if yours shows out of date but not sure how that works.

That's great, cheers. Just want to make sure I'm all good to go when it arrives.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Midnight Raider posted:

I remember hearing about launch NES converter carts and checked my local retro store for one, but no luck. I don't even have any Famicon games or a real use for one, but I kind of want one just to say I have it. :retrogames: And buying one confirmed online almost seems too easy, so maybe I'll just keep it as kind of an easter egg hunt challenge for me to just try to find one locally in one of my city's several dozen pawn shops.

Some of the appeal of retro collecting is the thrill of the hunt, I guess, which is something I can't get on e-bay.

I'm lucky that I discovered one of them in a copy of Gyromite that I got for $1 from a rummage sale. I bought it as part of my long quest to finish my HEADPHONE HOLDER. I'm still missing the claws and gyros, though, and my love of Nintendo is waning as my love for Sega grows, so I'm not caring about finishing it anymore.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Xik posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how I would go about troubleshooting a Super Gameboy? I just bought some Gameboy games to try on it, I cleaned the games, replaced the batteries and tested them on a Gameboy Adavance, they work fine. When using them on the Super Gameboy though it was very hit or miss at the start and now I can't seem to get them going at all. Now the Super Gameboy turns on but it shows a picture of a Gameboy Cart with a red cross through it.

The Super Gameboy has been taken apart and all the contacts cleaned, I'm not sure what else to do?

It's definitely something with the cart slot (the one the Game Boy games go into). Did you try bending them toward one another?

flyboi posted:

I love how when some people in this thread would see a mod like this would throw away the console because it isn't in a straight line. Any-who redoing my s-vid genny tonight after work.

Nah bro as OCD as I am I could not give less than 2 shits what the back of the console looks like. No one sees it. You done good.

flyboi posted:

Out of curiosity why is the audio better when not tapped from the headphone jack? I gotta admit I do kind of like that I can control the volume to my TV with the volume slider. :3:

Tyson Tomko posted:

There's a Hogan's Alley with a converter for $23 if anyone is looking for one. I highly recommend Game C - Trick Shot if I haven't said so before. Also it's from Connecticut for any of you New England goons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogans-Alley-Nintendo-1984-With-Famicom-Converter-NES-/261163101549?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cce88ad6d

I actually need a converter because mine won't work with certain games for some reason but I gotta ask: why do people pay so much for these (not saying $23 is much but people ask a lot more) when you can get one from Yobo or whoever makes them through Stone Age Gamer? Is there any reason?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot. I paid Tenso this morning to ship my XRGB Mini I bought from Amazon.co.jp. For those wondering, the total cost was $382.77 USD. ($335 to Amazon and $47.77 to Tenso to cover their usage charge, shipping through EMS plus insurance.)

Is this process confusing at all? I would like to put it in the OP to save people the $50 or so.

kynikos posted:

I have these guys and they seem to be pretty solid.

Seems like one of the few that legitimately will work on a Virtual Boy (many claim to and I've ordered them only to still be too short :argh: )
I just ordered that set so I will report back if it does do the VB. If it does not, off to some goon in need. :toot:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

shymog posted:

I'm not caring about finishing it anymore.

If that's true would you be willing to part with the spinning module?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Out of curiosity why is the audio better when not tapped from the headphone jack? I gotta admit I do kind of like that I can control the volume to my TV with the volume slider. :3:

For those that are spergs about audio fidelity, going directly off the L/R pins from the Sony DAC is basically creating a line-out which allows for your amplifier to do the heavy lifting rather than the cheaper solution Sega provides with the headphone port. I haven't tested it with SCD yet to see if I broke that because my SCD AC adapter appears to have died :saddowns:

I have an adapter coming today for my twin famicom that's multi-volt so I'll try it then.

Edit: yup, scd works so Pier Solar sounds even better w/ the addon cd :toot:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 1, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is this process confusing at all? I would like to put it in the OP to save people the $50 or so.

Not really. You just create a Tenso account which you can do in English. After account creation they give you a Japanese address to use as a Ship To address that goes to their warehouse and your member number to also put in the address so that when they receive a package they know who it is for. The confusing part here was to figure out how to enter the address because the give it to you in straight line of Japanese. But there's a link that explains what goes where. You just order what you want off your Japanese shop of choice and buy it directly with your credit/debit card (MC, Visa, etc). The difference here is that other proxy services ask for a deposit and make the purchase for you provided you give them a link to the item. It gets shipped out to the address Tenso gave you, they email to notify you that they received the package. From that point they weigh it and send you an invoice for the service and EMS shipping that are both based on how much it weighs (instead of the value!), you pay it and and they ship it by their next posted ship date (business day at 6PM Japan time).

I'd say hold off on adding it to the OP right now. I want to know if I'll get hit with duties. :v: Tenso won't fib on a customs form like Solaris Japan will.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 1, 2013

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
OK, so... old consoles. I have them. NES, SNES, N64, etc and modest game collections for them (20 - 40 games each). My problem, like most people with old consoles these days, is how do I go about playing them, what with no CRT TVs left in the house? Due to the layout of my living room and the distances involved between my TV and couch, I'd prefer to figure out the best way to simply hook consoles up to a spare 15" LCD monitor in my office via VGA, or though my PC somehow. I've seen where there are devices out there that allow for a composite > USB conversion, but I've also seen where these devices are generally unreliable, expensive, and noticeable input lag is reported. Ditto for video capture cards. It would seem that a direct composite > VGA converter of some sort plugged direct into that spare 15" LCD would be the way to go. I'm not concerned about the device doing anything in particular with audio from the consoles, as my PC speakers have dual inputs and I should be able to use a female L/R RCA to mini 1/8" phono jack cable to handle that.

So... what is the general consensus here on the best device for the job? I'm sorry if this topic has been covered at length in this thread, I read the entire OP as well as the first few pages of the thread and didn't see it covered.

I just wanna go back and re-play some old games. :(

EDIT: Anybody have any experiences with this or something like it? http://sewelldirect.com/Composite-RCA-to-VGA-Converter.asp

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 1, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Someone previously recommended this if you have a PCI-E x1 slot on your PC (Canadian Newegg site): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158317

There are two big problems with interfacing old consoles to a PC or VGA/DVI monitor:

1.) The signal output by the console doesn't quite conform to accepted video standards. Quite a few capture devices fall apart when handling signals from these systems. This gets better in the post-16 bit world but still isn't perfect.

2.) A lot of devices have hardware MPEG-2 or similar encoders which introduce 2 seconds of lag, making them completely unsuitable for gaming.

Almost all computer capture devices are designed around people hooking up VCRs or cable boxes into them, where the signal conforms to video standards and the lag delay doesn't matter.

Some devices can work OK for a while but later spaz out if something specific is going on on-screen (e.g. flashy strobe effect), so watch out for that. You can also get an XRGB of some description with the above Startech card and save yourself some headaches if you're willing to :retrogames: .

Finally, the one big gotcha if you later do modern system hookups, is that the PlayStation 3's HDMI out have always-on HDCP, which no capture device is able to circumvent, so you must either go through component connections or hookup your HDMI cable to an HDCP-compliant display.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 1, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My latest ebay haul came in the mail today :toot:

CIB AGS-101. The holder wasn't even listed and it was a typod listing. Got it for $40. The box isn't in the best shape but I was looking for an alright SP. I just noticed the broken hinge but not too worried about that, I should be able to find another SP to do a transplant on the top-half of the case. I was more worried about the outside of the case as most all SPs are scratched to hell and back. I might skip that though, it seems to work fine even with the broken hinge.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

Someone previously recommended this if you have a PCI-E x1 slot on your PC (Canadian Newegg site): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158317

There are two big problems with interfacing old consoles to a PC or VGA/DVI monitor:

1.) The signal output by the console doesn't quite conform to accepted video standards. Quite a few capture devices fall apart when handling signals from these systems. This gets better in the post-16 bit world but still isn't perfect.

2.) A lot of devices have hardware MPEG-2 or similar encoders which introduce 2 seconds of lag, making them completely unsuitable for gaming.

Almost all computer capture devices are designed around people hooking up VCRs or cable boxes into them, where the signal conforms to video standards and the lag delay doesn't matter.

Some devices can work OK for a while but later spaz out if something specific is going on on-screen (e.g. flashy strobe effect), so watch out for that. You can also get an XRGB of some description with the above Startech card and save yourself some headaches if you're willing to :retrogames: .

Finally, the one big gotcha if you later do modern system hookups, is that the PlayStation 3's HDMI out have always-on HDCP, which no capture device is able to circumvent, so you must either go through component connections or hookup your HDMI cable to an HDCP-compliant display.

Actually the Startech card is the only current gen capture card that will work with 240p. All it really needs is a Sync Strike and it works with most consoles. There's a thread on shmups that discusses it in detail. I can attest to other devices not working, I had a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and regardless of the inputs it had, it will not accept any retro consoles because they do not conform to what the Shuttle expects as a signal.

PS3's HDCP is a minor annoyance that can be circumvented either through using component cables or using a HDCP stripper.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've used component cables with my HD Box Pro to display PS3 on my LCD PC monitors, worked fine, albeit a little blurry [which as I've mentioned I think is the fault of a bad power supply or bad hd box].

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Are there any USA/Europe only Saturn games I should be checking out, by any chance? Figured I'd ask while I as on a file converting spree.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

Are there any USA/Europe only Saturn games I should be checking out, by any chance? Figured I'd ask while I as on a file converting spree.

Herc's Adventures, maybe.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin, if you like middling games...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ACID POLICE posted:

Here is a complete list of games for the Sega Saturn that were only released outside of Japan, including games that are North America exclusive, games that are Europe exclusive, and games that were released in both or another region but not Japan:

http://www.satakore.com/exclusive-USA-EUR.php

Duke Nukem 3D and Quake are both on there, and they're interesting because they both use a completely different engine then they have on the PC or Playstation ports, yet are often to considered to be the best console ports of the respective games.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 1, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Having a Quake save also lets you unlock Death Tank Zwei in Duke Nukem 3D, and by that point you might as well not play anything else on the platform.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Duke Nukem 64 gets a bad rap for censoring a lot, but I feel many of the changes it made were positive.
-Alternate ammo types for some weapons. (Explosive shells made the shotgun better than the rocket launcher)
-The guns looked and sounded better.
-The stadium level looked a lot better and the last boss was a 3D object, not sprite based.
-New levels.
-Better line delivery from John St. John (granted some of the lines are censored).
-Deathmatch mode with bots (though they were pretty dumb)

And on top of that, the graphics and sound quality are pretty good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Many thanks to fatpat268 for hooking me up with not only a good priced ags101, but copies of sega smash pack and smashing drive.

Now to see if I can preform some mad science and do some gba case switching.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
fatpat268 is the king of ags101s.

ags101 tell me when rosetintedgaming is going to actually answer e-mails/take my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Tobaccrow posted:

Duke Nukem 64 gets a bad rap for censoring a lot, but I feel many of the changes it made were positive.
-Alternate ammo types for some weapons. (Explosive shells made the shotgun better than the rocket launcher)
-The guns looked and sounded better.
-The stadium level looked a lot better and the last boss was a 3D object, not sprite based.
-New levels.
-Better line delivery from John St. John (granted some of the lines are censored).
-Deathmatch mode with bots (though they were pretty dumb)

And on top of that, the graphics and sound quality are pretty good.

My friend recently got Jon St. John to call my cellphone and totally creep at me while I was at work. Surreal is having Duke Nukem ask what you're wearing when you get a strange call in the middle of the day. And awesome. Really awesome. :allears:

• Locked thread