Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

absolutely anything posted:

Metro Cross is a fun little arcade game with sick as hell music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GndYXg5Qk

It's like someone went back in time and made this game specifically for GCCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Blackchamber posted:

Now I feel guilty for getting an avatar. I just like the show (the tamage parts are my favorite) but I didn't know avatar ownership came with a study requirement. I'm not ready for any pop quizzes!
At the very least, you've got a rad as hell avatar. Well picked and crafted :golfclap:

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
It looks like DarknessSavior has done part one of Yoshi's Island. Was uploaded on Jan 28th. I noticed it when I checked out the Fire Emblem link Space Drake posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOdr9f7uo8k I figured I'd bring it to everyone's attention here.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

pnumoman posted:

No one's taking your original post as being hostile, you're just really stupid. It's been pointed out over and over and over again that the non-challenge segments are broadcast ONLY so both the Japanese DVDs, the Kotaku run, and the Discotek DVDs do not have them at all, yet you seem to have failed to grasp this simple point.

I really don't understand how you can like GCCX enough to get an Arino avatar, yet fail to do some basic research about the show.

No, you're being incredibly hostile for no reason at all and good job on running yet another person out of the thread. Just because you've heard his complaint before doesn't mean that everyone has read every single post in these thread since the start so chill the gently caress out.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I went back and read the entire exchange again. This was the first post made about it:

bpc908 posted:

Sucks that we can't get the discotek or the kotaku episodes in their original format. I'd rather watch the originals rather than a terribly dubbed narrator and cut our segments

This says absolutely nothing about refusing to buy it. Dude just wants to see the non-challenge segments. He also didn't seem to be aware at first that the Discotek version is dual audio. Somehow people in the thread contorted this into "obviously he just doesn't want to pay money for anything" and "how can you poo poo all over SAGCCX like this" which is incredibly ridiculous hyperbole. It's also not entirely unreasonable for the guy to not know that the translation group is doing/has done some of the non-challenge segments for those episodes, considering he just joined recently and all. The hostility that popped up from that is just mind-blowing to me.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 1, 2013

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I went back and read the entire exchange again. [...] The hostility that popped up from that is just mind-blowing to me.
There were poor choices of words on both sides. The hostility (which I think is way more frustration and exasperation than hostility) comes from having had this discussion repeatedly. We should all just let it pass and move on.

Krioni posted:

It looks like DarknessSavior has done part one of Yoshi's Island.
Thanks for the heads up, but unless someone tells me that this is equal to the SAGCCX quality level, I'll probably just wait. Even despite how much I want to see this challenge.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 1, 2013

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Thanks for the heads up, but unless someone tells me that this is equal to the SAGCCX quality level, I'll probably just wait. Even despite how much I want to see this challenge.

Same here, I'll wait for the better quality SA one.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't watched it yet myself, so I don't know how the quality is on the subs/translation. I usually wait for both parts to be out for two-parters.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

xamphear posted:

It's incredibly high quality, and he seems to have gone out of his way to make it consistant with SA GCCX releases in terms of naming conventions, and the idea of having Arino quote text from the US version of the game, rather than what's actually written on the screen.

It's really, really, really, really well done.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 1, 2013

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quick question for those who own a copy of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 2. I was watching the Donkey Kong Country episode and they stated there was a "Today's challenge" system. How does that actually work, is there like an optional challenge for every day of the year?

Edit:

Ah, thanks joek0!

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 1, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Viscous Soda posted:

Quick question for those who own a copy of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 2. I was watching the Donkey Kong Country episode and they stated there was a "Today's challenge" system. How does that actually work, is there like an optional challenge for every day of the year?

That is the basic gist of the Daily Challenge Mode. I wrote a more in depth FAQ of it on GameFAQs. Ask me here on the forums if you have any questions for it.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/953049-game-center-cx-arino-no-chousenjou-2/faqs/58898

joek0 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 1, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm trying to download Clover's release of Episode 34, Ghouls n Ghosts.

The link in the OP takes me to this page at Nyaa Torrents, but when I try to download it I get a "Wrong Parameter Usage" error. Is this a problem on my end, or if it isn't, is there anywhere else I can download it?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
deleted

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I really wish that XSEED released Retro Game Challenge 2 even though the first didn't sell well. At least I have the fan translated version to look forward to. I might just have to buy a flash cart in order to play it.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

bpc908 posted:

I really wish that XSEED released Retro Game Challenge 2 even though the first didn't sell well. At least I have the fan translated version to look forward to. I might just have to buy a flash cart in order to play it.

I recommend buying and importing both DS games. I would love to import the first DS game when I get money for a new DS. The Japanese version has Arino's voice and the AD's pics in the game magazines. I already own the import of the 2nd DS game. It is great to own a physical copy of the game. It also adds to my hope to be soon GCCX merchandise collection. Will buy Disckotek DVD when I get more cash to spare. One thing I am looking for is the Japanese strategy guide for both DS games. The book is out of print. Would love it for my GCCX collection.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

bpc908 posted:

Yo you should buy the DVDs first.

vv hey dude walked right into that one

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 2, 2013

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Caitlin posted:

Please let it go.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Caitlin posted:

vv hey dude walked right into that one

Stop doing what you're doing, you said it before, no need to constantly force it on me

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I just recently started watching some episodes of this myself (I've gone through about 10?), but I don't own the single existing dvd set available in my market yet. I'm literally Hitler.org

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
Thread friction aside, can we all stop for a second and reflect on how lucky we are to have amazingly talented and dedicated translators, timers, and encoders?

These people donate their own valuable personal time towards something we all enjoy and look forward to. Seriously - not only do we get an excellently translated video, we always get an original piece of artwork! Not everybody goes out of their way like that for people on the internet they'll likely never meet.

They rule and we should be focusing on that!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Speaking of art,
you know what piece of art I would like to own, this poster without the Happy Birthday Arino on it. It has every single AD in it and would be cool to have on a walla

bpc908 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 2, 2013

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012

bpc908 posted:

Speaking of art,
you know what piece of art I would like to own, this poster without the Happy Birthday Arino on it. It has every single AD in it and would be cool to have on a walla

Something tells me you are pretty much asking for it at this point... :smugissar:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

bpc908 posted:

Speaking of art,

WELL HEY, GUESS WHAT COMES WITH THE TOTALLY AWESOME DVD SET THAT'S TOTALLY WORTH YOUR MONEY?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

WELL HEY, GUESS WHAT COMES WITH THE TOTALLY AWESOME DVD SET THAT'S TOTALLY WORTH YOUR MONEY?

He's trying so hard. :smith:

But it's not a poster, so at least there's that. I'd love having a poster of any GCCX art.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
At this point, we don't even need episodes and this thread is still entertaining.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Speaking of art,

The thread thought the low-effort post was defeated, but it turns out it had a second form! Once again, our early celebration is revealed as a weakness!

deadpan fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 2, 2013

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

the least weasel posted:

good job on running yet another person out of the thread

bpc908 posted:

Speaking of art,

Forgive me, for I have failed.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just in case you're not a troll, bpc908, that picture was drawn by a person who posts in this thread and also does most of the SAGCCX subs. :v:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I really would like a poster of that of it's possible for zarigani or Fuji or whoever to sell them

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I would like to see more Game Center CX collectables/merchandising... but posters aren't my thing (I haven't hung a poster on my walls in years).

I've asked before about why so little official stuff ends up on the resale market. Primarily I was asking about autographs, but with all the events they've done that they have sold stuff at you'd think there would be more out there. Well, aside from a $300 statue on eBay. Why isn't there an online store I can order misc CX junk from? Can anyone tell me why the show/tv studio isn't doing this? They think its more of a hassle then its worth maybe?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The view to my immediate right:

Sorry, that may be fan art but you've got maybe twelve hours before the next episode...

Now back to work, this two parter isn't going to wrap itself up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

It's like someone went back in time and made this game specifically for GCCX.

And it looks like he's playing the Fanicom version, which is actually harder. I can't find a longplay for it. I can't finish it, even with save scumming. Some of the speed up power ups can actually make you slower.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blackchamber posted:

I would like to see more Game Center CX collectables/merchandising... but posters aren't my thing (I haven't hung a poster on my walls in years).

I've asked before about why so little official stuff ends up on the resale market. Primarily I was asking about autographs, but with all the events they've done that they have sold stuff at you'd think there would be more out there. Well, aside from a $300 statue on eBay. Why isn't there an online store I can order misc CX junk from? Can anyone tell me why the show/tv studio isn't doing this? They think its more of a hassle then its worth maybe?

Its probably exactly because you have to show up and stand in line at an event and fill out an order form to get any merch that there isn't any to resell. I've done that twice for the thread and I can say it is a lot of work!

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Chococat posted:

Its probably exactly because you have to show up and stand in line at an event and fill out an order form to get any merch that there isn't any to resell. I've done that twice for the thread and I can say it is a lot of work!

Quite honestly the only piece of merch that I'd want (other than an Arino figure, and that's never going to happen) Is the Tanii t-shirt. It's so awesome, and it always seemed to be available at their booth until recently. The only chance of ever getting their stuff is if they decide to have a booth at PAX, which is a long-shot.

Also, is anybody else surprised they haven't done another one of the Adventure Island games since the first one? Considering how much more playable the series got after the infamously difficult first one, I think they'd make for some great moments with Arino at first acting irritated he'd have to play another one of the series, only for him to be pleasantly surprised by how much more playable it is. Lots of quirky moments that would play well, like the bubbles that trap you underwater in Adventure Island II and III. Any of the later games would suffice, like II, III, and IV on the Famicom, or Super Adventure Island I and II. Somebody who has a hold of Kibe's ear mention this to him!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chococat posted:

That's what my question is really about. Why do they only sell their merchandise at events and not through an online store or licensing to a retailer? What's the rationale? It's cool for people like you Chococat, that get to hoard your cx goods which I imagine you curl up on at night like Smaug. The dvds are available in the west and if Twitter is to be believed slightly over half of his fans live 1 to 2 oceans away from where he holds these events.

When a show is popular here in the states theres always kitsch to be had. Is it the type of show that normally doesn't get that type of treatment in Japan?

Someone help me understand Japanese merchandising (and culture?).

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 2, 2013

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Arranging to get stuff outside of Japan would probably be costly and involve lots of effort for a comparatively low return. Plus it's not like GCCX is a merch show like Kamen Rider or sentai stuff. We're probably lucky there's official goodies at all.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yeah basically mailing stuff out is a huge amount of work and any kind of package insurance/delivery tracking is extremely expensive. I mailed a t-shirt and other small things to a friend in the UK for her birthday and I think it cost over $35 USD in postage for around a pound of stuff since I wanted it to get to her in a timely and confirmed manner.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Blackchamber posted:

Is it the type of show that normally doesn't get that type of treatment in Japan?

It's a nerd show so they do things the nerd way, and in Japan the nerd way is to sell your stuff from a booth at a festival and nowhere else ever. See also: Anything that gets sold at Comiket.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

It's a nerd show so they do things the nerd way, and in Japan the nerd way is to sell your stuff from a booth at a festival and nowhere else ever. See also: Anything that gets sold at Comiket.

Wow, ok. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Japanese-language books and DVDs and even both of the DS games (in Japanese) pop up on eBay all the time, along with the stray Arino PVC figure. I'm just wondering why you never see a King Plush or... anything else. You see UFO catchers full of those little figures, and not a single one appears online even at a ludicrously-inflated price. Even outside of eBay.