Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just like how early 2000's it is to take Criss Angel down a peg.

He's really more David Blaine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wendell posted:

He's really more David Blaine though.

I'm pretty sure the original tagline for Carrey's character was supposed to be "if you have a mind, he will freak it", withe 'freak' to be a printable euphemism for 'gently caress'.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one with Olivia Wilde sold me on the movie. Because rawr.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I am having a good laugh about these bootleg cover.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TimeCrimes is a great movie with a great time travel diagram:

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
Not to mention some pretty rad shadow puppetry.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does anyone know where I could find a proper sized print of this?

I'm trying to find a No Country poster and this is by far the best one.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I feel like Time Crimes gets a good rap because it's one of the only* time travel movies that doesn't really break it's own established rules so is technically well made from a "nerds can't nitpick the science plotholes" standpoint, but it actually isn't very good, and that bothers me because I really wanted to like it. Maybe it gets a pass for being kinda boring and joyless because it's a foreign film so Americans expect it?

*The only other ones I can think of are the first Terminator and Primer.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

For an image devoid any actual real content, that's the most 90's image I've seen in a while.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

echoplex posted:

For an image devoid any actual real content, that's the most 90's image I've seen in a while.

The peak of your civilisation.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Wolfsheim posted:

I feel like Time Crimes gets a good rap because it's one of the only* time travel movies that doesn't really break it's own established rules so is technically well made from a "nerds can't nitpick the science plotholes" standpoint, but it actually isn't very good, and that bothers me because I really wanted to like it. Maybe it gets a pass for being kinda boring and joyless because it's a foreign film so Americans expect it?

*The only other ones I can think of are the first Terminator and Primer.

I liked Timecrimes. It covers a lot of the same ground as Primer (time travel is a thing that should not be and the only winning movie is not to play) but in one of these films a guy wearing a black trenchcoat and bloody bandages on his face terrorizes women with scissors and in the other one some nerds piss each other off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

echoplex posted:

How do those sunglasses stay on his face? :psyduck:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Irish Joe posted:

How do those sunglasses stay on his face? :psyduck:
They're called pince-nez spectacles. The bridge is spring loaded to clip them on your nose.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure the original tagline for Carrey's character was supposed to be "if you have a mind, he will freak it", withe 'freak' to be a printable euphemism for 'gently caress'.

But Criss Angel doesn't do the "I will stay in a box/hold my pee/go without eating for a year!" tricks, David Blaine does.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy poo poo, you mean these fictional characters aren't exact analogues of real world magicians?!?!?!?!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

The Time Dissolver posted:

I liked Timecrimes. It covers a lot of the same ground as Primer (time travel is a thing that should not be and the only winning movie is not to play) but in one of these films a guy wearing a black trenchcoat and bloody bandages on his face terrorizes women with scissors and in the other one some nerds piss each other off.

Timecrimes is also a lot easier to understand. Apparently Tom Cruise's company owns the rights to an American remake, which I can see happening- but don't expect it to be as good. And if you say you understood the last act of Primer on the first viewing- you're a loving liar.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Holy poo poo, you mean these fictional characters aren't exact analogues of real world magicians?!?!?!?!

Okay, settle down, just wanted people to recognize the David Blaine influence alongside the Criss Angel one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jim Carrey will never be as good of a fake Criss Angel as David Tennant was in Fright Night, and the filmmakers know it. So they added some David Blaine in there to even it out. This is what I choose to believe.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Everything about Burt Wonderstone seems great except Steve Carell, I just can't get excited about any he's done: he even dragged down Anchorman. And he's the title character in this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Does anyone know where I could find a proper sized print of this?

I'm trying to find a No Country poster and this is by far the best one.

I really liked No Country's poster designs, they were pretty loving awesome (I wish I liked the movie more though).

and then there's this stupid poo poo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

ruddiger posted:

and then there's this stupid poo poo.

Christ, it's like a penis wearing a wig.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ruddiger posted:

I really liked No Country's poster designs, they were pretty loving awesome (I wish I liked the movie more though).

I really liked the film (best of that year I thought) and I'd want the whole set if I got any of those posters. Only want the one though and it's gotta be that Japanese print, but I can only find it in 11x17.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

ruddiger posted:

Seconding this, really love the first one. They make great teasers, almost the antithesis to the character face poster. Shame I could never find them for sale anywhere though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Time Dissolver posted:

Eh, it felt like it couldn't decide between grim drama and jokes aplenty, so it was tonally off. Primer was pure hard-science serious, Time Crimes gravitated between the two and not successfully, I felt. I really wanted to like it, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Christ, it's like a penis wearing a wig.

I feel the same way whenever I see Javier Bardem.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, it felt like it couldn't decide between grim drama and jokes aplenty, so it was tonally off. Primer was pure hard-science serious, Time Crimes gravitated between the two and not successfully, I felt. I really wanted to like it, too.

Timecrimes wasn't hard-science at all. It used the time travel conceit to construct an elaborate id-ego-superego metaphor.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Timecrimes wasn't hard-science at all. It used the time travel conceit to construct an elaborate id-ego-superego metaphor.

Please tell us more, Mr. Mechagodzilla. :allears:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can totally see this.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

tliil posted:

Drive is the ultimate "I'm going to say I liked it because COOL VISUALS + VIOLENCE (but I didn't really get it at all)" movie.

Haha please tell me you actually explain to people "You're liking the movie wrong!" in real life.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

tliil posted:

Drive is the ultimate "I'm going to say I liked it because COOL VISUALS + VIOLENCE (but I didn't really get it at all)" movie.

Everyone I've met who didn't understand it just straight up hated it though? :confused: All the people I know who like/love it understood it perfectly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedIcon posted:

Everyone I've met who didn't understand it just straight up hated it though? :confused: All the people I know who like/love it understood it perfectly.

Unless you have met everyone this isn't exactly conflicting with that statement.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Avril Lavigne posted:

I thought that was Fight Club?

Nah, Fight Club is "I loved it for reasons that totally missed the point of the movie." Y'know, people that idolize Tyler Durden for being so cool and edgy.

You could probably marathon Drive, Fight Club, and Donnie Darko as a litmus test for young adult maturity.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lance Streetman posted:

Please tell us more, Mr. Mechagodzilla. :allears:

It's pretty simple. There are three Hectors. The first (ego) goes about his day-to-day life before being lured into the woods by the second (id), who acts as a slasher villain. It's very important that ego-Hector is unconscious of id-Hector's manipulations. The third (superego) plays the moralistic role, trying to subdue id-Hector with guilt, preserve his marriage and let the police sort things out. Obviously there's more nuance to their interactions than that, but that's the gist.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Haha please tell me you actually explain to people "You're liking the movie wrong!" in real life.
I made a statement on the internet, I must do something similar in real life.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

I love that Sigourney Weaver had a chance to be a cool guy that doesn't look at an explosion, even if she's more :geno: than :cool:

There's also this smaller banner ad:

Bruce? What's wrong with your faaaaace?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Muppet Bruce Willis is perturbed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

el oso posted:

Bruce? What's wrong with your faaaaace?
He's turning into Liev Schreiber as far as I can tell.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

mind the walrus posted:

Nah, Fight Club is "I loved it for reasons that totally missed the point of the movie." Y'know, people that idolize Tyler Durden for being so cool and edgy.

You could probably marathon Drive, Fight Club, and Donnie Darko as a litmus test for young adult maturity.

Throw in American Psycho. Half of the book and movie's comedic elements are based on how lame, pathetic and monsterous Bateman really is, but you get A LOT of young males going "Dude! I am Patrick Bateman!" No you're not. You're some lovely college kid with bad anger management skills. Well actually, I guess you are Pat, just not in the way you think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You can add in Taxi Driver, Scarface, Wall Street...

Teenage boys especially are dumb as gently caress when it comes to gangster films, you could survey an entire high school and get a solid consensus that the message of Scarface, Goodfellas and the Godfather is "being a gangster is badass".

e: who am I loving kidding this is the opinion of the average 20 something male too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Scarface and Taxi Driver are particularly good examples. I love Scarface because it doesn't show a flawed anti-hero, but because it shows a horrible human being that has to lye in the bed that he's made. Yep, he's charming and hilarious, but the same qualities that make him those things are what lead to the monster you end up with. Tony Montana is captivating and pathetic all at once.