Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

The crowd seems to hang on to your every word and through the night the tavern becomes so crowded that the windows are opened wide and people hang around them outside. As Andra talks she feels that tentative connection grow stronger, until she feels a definite connection between her and all the townsfolk and even those travellers. As she does so her mind and body seem to open up further as she begins to understand first, how magic in its three forms works and more importantly...how to fight it. It was as if the knowledge had been locked up inside of her all this time and here in this place, in the story that she told, the warmth of the hearth and the flowing mead casks that it finally opened itself to her.

The rest of the evening however is a blur as mead and ale dim the evening until a cascade of images and sound. Then Andra awoke the next morning to the sound of murmuring in the back of her mind. Feeling foggy from the night before she pushed aside the sensation and it faded away, leaving Andra to deal with the new day. Whatever had happened to Andra, it seemed to be the cure for the hangover.

Success, additionally Andra gains the Divine trait Protector [+2].

Edo & Stavos (Eosia, Imperial Academy of Eisos)

Whatever was wrong with Magister Katinos Edo and Stavos might never know, for they brought their power to bare and plunged it into Katinos. The man's eyes widened in surprise as his body changed, crease lines and wrinkles fading, posture straightening, even his paunch began to recede and he began to put on muscle. When it finished his skin seemed to glint a bronze-like colour and it first it seemed like he was just superbly tanned. But then it sunk in, that wasn't a tan, the man seemed to literally now be made out of bronze. Edo and Stavos blinked while Magister Ajikan stared for a brief moment before turning on them, his face a deathly pale.

"What did you do?" He asks hoarsely, before thundering out a mighty shriek; "What the hell did you do and how?" Magister Katinos stood, examined himself and smiled a little. "I haven't felt this good in all my life." He comments mildly, which earned him a cold glare from Ajikan. "Shut up Katinos, that's not the issue here."

Failure, just, so you go what you wanted and what you didn't want. Mixing Transmutation with Healing has...interesting results sometimes you might say.

Civar (Arandia, Harvan)

Over the coming days you notice Aideen open up a little. She seems less on guard around you, but a lifetime or hurt and betrayal means she keeps herself fairly closed at the best of times. She speaks a little of her own childhood, of learning the Mind Magicks of being a witch. But she always cuts off after a certain point a look of long distant pain haunting her face for a moment. It seems Aideen has not had a lot of happy memories for many years and appreciates having some to listen to, at least for a while until she begins to feel jealous.

A few days later you arrive in Harvan.

Success, Aideen will trust you, not with her life perhaps but to a reasonable degree.

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Whitewoods)

The man follows after you restlessly but says nothing else. With an amazing stealth for one so large, probably due to Degowin's newfound powers over sound you come to the next hunter and repeat the process. The second hunter was a larger and huskier man and so your powers acted differently on him, filling his veins with ice and his heart with cold. He grew larger, a bit, but mightily strong with a grip like a dead man has. He too finished struggling eventually and once he was transformed fully whispered when his mouth was freed; "What am I? What have I become...what is to become of me?" The man's vein stood out a softly glowing ice blue and his eyes were pure white, his pupils and irises burned away by cold. He too had a glyph on his chest, slightly different to the first.

Success. You keep rolling really well on difficult rolls. |: I decided to add a bit of variety to the Frostborn though.

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

It was done. Each of your disciples as they were had been marked and bound in a fellowship. You felt a respect from Berel but also a hunger for power. In time if not tempered he might rise against you, but for now he remained content to be bound and to follow. After the three newcomers were bound as well you notice they too have changed, a little, too become paler and a little more haunted looking as Zel and Hartun. Yet they did not have the dead eyes that your first two did and as your covenant grew larger you felt something. Were you to gather others to you, in fear or in loyalty, your power would grow albeit in a different manner to if you simply feasted on the souls of the dead.

Success. I also gave you some hints IC about gathering followers, in case you wish to do so.

Octagon (Taeless, Taelos)

It took some time for there to be no-one in the room, but eventually people leave to go and organise things and to find the guard. So Octagon ducks in and quickly rescues the spider noble, escaping with her back into the night.

"Oh my hero, come and let me give you a kiss." She says with sardonic amusement as Octagon presumably makes his way back to his home.

Success, spider retrieval is complete!

Kovar (Taeless, town in the north-west)

So it came to pass that Kovar travelled for a full tenday until he returned to the town where Jusep and Algard had come from and received his reward. Had he not had the guards stick up for him it would have been hard to convince the head guard, but as it was he and the two guards ended up with some gold coins. Not a lot though, for the town was not exactly wealthy.

And then it came to the time when Algard and Jusep needed to explain that they were leaving. The discussion was heard around the entire village and in the end both returned to their homes and gathered their belongings.

"I think it best we leave this place and not return for some time." Jusep said prudently and looked towards the south gate, away from Sellos and towards the rest of Taeless. "There are more women out there than in the mountains." He said simply and waited to see what Kovar would say next.

You get gold. But I'm not going to keep a track of it.

Beltheus (Hell)

Balasataroth smiled and it would have filled a mortal man or god with dread. To Beltheus though such cruelty and evil seemed more...natural now. In fact you wonder why it ever bothered you at all? After all where had being good or just ever gotten anyone?

"You are a Duke, Beltheus, but a duke of an empty realm. Go forth and gather wicked souls, fashion the strongest and most vile into servants and...do with the rest as you wish. Tell your servants to do the same, and they will tell their servants to as well. A Master draws power from their slaves, their servants, and it keeps on piling like blood into a pool. Do not disappoint me. Should you prove weak and incapable you can and will be replaced. Grow strong, shape this realm into a realm of torment and evil and you will grow more powerful than you know. And with your power, I too shall grow...until those few left who rival me are beneath me!" He says and then draws back, before fading away like a burn upon reality and laughing a terrible and wicked laugh all the while.

Then Beltheus was alone, with the hidden crack behind him. More could be made if they needed he knew, but doing so would be hard...at least at first.

Go and make servants and gain souls, and gain power in the pyramid scheme of demonic power.

Aldrain (Eosia, Imperial Academy of Eisos)

"Did you hear? They took the healer from the streets and tested him. Except he turned Katinos to bronze! Oh and made him look like a perfect sculpture but still...apparently he mentioned something had happened in the city. I bet he was responsible." There are a number of other rumours and conversations similar, and Aldrain can hear that from the sounds of it, Stavos is also involved somehow.

Adam (Taeless, mines of Sellos)

Adam finds that for all his lack of work lately, that Thadroin can actually work hard when he wants to. In fact the darker skinned 'dwarf' seemed to enjoy the sensations of hard labour and being tired and sore as much as he enjoyed all the other sensations he had been indulging in. He was just happy to have a body back really, "besides, it's in our nature to enjoy working hard." He said with a bit of a smile when Adam commented on it. With the two of them working, their hovel is finished within a few days and surprisingly it ends up being fairly cozy, with stone brick walls and some metal work here and there. Thadroin suggested they make a forge, slightly apart from the main house of course to avoid fire damage, and dedicate it to Fel. All of this took about a full tenday to finish and both got their first proper night's sleep for some time under a roof of solid stone and earth. Adam hadn't realised how uneasy sleeping with only a thin roof above him had been making him feel.

The following week Adam and Thadroin can get back to mining proper and they notice more than a number of people follow them, trying to learn how it was that made the two such expert miners. When Adam became uneasy with the attention, Thadroin handled the people by giving them a more personal demonstration and explaining what and why he was doing. But then on the seventh day early in the morning there came a knock on the door and one of the mining families was standing outside. Whatever had happened to Adam, had at least happened in part to them as well.

"Uh, we be a little concerned about these happenings master Adam." The husband says with a bit of confusing and shyness. "But I ken ye might have a better idea than us." The man did not seem to realise his entire mannerisms and speech had changed overnight. His son on the other hand seemed to be finding his new beard to be quite entertaining.

You're getting close to a new Trait, but I'll wait and see what you do with some new 'Dwarves' before I decide on it. Also, you should really name them soon. You don't have to name your people Dwarves unless you want to.

Ilvis & Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

If Ilvis was surprised by what her sword had done before this, what it did next was something that defied belief entirely. The sword blazed even brighter for a second and, without thinking so much as acting on instinct, Ilvis pointed her sword at the man. It pulsed with pure white flame and then engulfed the man in fire. The crowd shrieked and stepped back, terrified by the old man's sudden combustion and he yelled in surprise, yet not in pain. He stood up and spoke calmly and almost in an otherworldly manner. In almost detached detail he described the many small and petty crimes he did, mostly thefts, because his back was stiff and sore and he found it hard to do many chores. His family travelled often and he sometimes nearly starved when they could not care for him. He was ashamed by what he did, but was scared of death and could not bear to starve away. With the things he stole and sold to those less scrupulous (whom he also named), he could afford to buy a meal at the inn, a warm bath to properly clean himself for a week or two and some ointments to ease his joints. The fire remained white throughout the entire scene and when he finished speaking he began to weep openly and the flames flickered before finally dying out. He was untouched by the flames and the crowd grew deathly still. Daveron pulled out his sword and the old man was unwounded, healed by the flames as his vest was clearly torn by the passing of the blood and stained with blood from the wound that had been there.

But Daveron was held in the thrall of the scene as well. Almost lazily to the crowd he gestured, pointing to a middle aged man who stepped forwards. Kennet was the man's name and he stood there locked in the thrall of Daveron's gaze and gesture. Ilvis again sword blazing pure white pointed it to the man and flames leapt forth, but when they touched him they burned a dark black like no flame every should. Kennet talked, his voice full of panic as words tumbled out of it. His tale was vile, one of rape and murder and the crowd stepped many paces back from him. When he was done speaking of his terrible acts Daveron spoke a single word as he almost casually lopped the man's head off.

"Guilty."

And so it was that all in the crowd rushed to purge themselves of their sins and crimes, and Daveron could tell the truth of each while Ilvis stood there with her sword blazing bright.

Ilvis gains the Divine trait Justice [+2] while Daveron gains the Divine trait Truth [+2]. Sorry I co-opted the scene a little from what you both originally intended, but you rolled a truly staggering result and I felt the need to do something special with it.

Wilhelm

It was much easier now that he was one of them. Wilhelm found it harder to think of himself as a man than as an insect of some kind. He was still himself, and his thoughts were not really affected as such but he felt a greater affinity for those who worked in the fields than those in the town. And the insects worked hard and the fields began to give a great bounty under their care. Admittedly there were many more mouths to feed so the providence was not as great as it seemed at first, but there would be plenty for those in town should Wilhelm feel generous enough to share.

Three days after he returned one of the kids had snuck into his farm. When Wilhelm came to confront the errant youth the boy looked at him earnestly and said; "Mr. Wilhelm, you can fly right now? I want to fly too!" The insectman got the impression that the child was asking for a lift more than anything else.

Success, your fields will produce more than the other farms due to the constant care of their insect minders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

"Mrphlghm."

Look, hangover or no hangover, some people just aren't good with mornings. Andra is one of them. That's why she stays laying in bed for a while, trying not to wake up... but when that fails, she can do things that at least don't involve moving around much. Like thinking. Lot of thinking for Andra to do.

See, first there was the whatever-it-was-in-the-sky that she was too busy puking to pay proper attention to. So that was odd. Then there's a witch. And not just 'a witch,' an actual loving witch with actual loving magical powers. Which, Andra has been given to understand, is not a thing that happens. Magic is... is charms and amulets and baubles, like Civar was selling. It's a sham. Isn't it?

A whole fuckload of terrified militiamen would seem to disagree.

Then there was that sense that... something... happened to the north. Something bad. Like, real bad. Like old stories bad. And now...

"Meh, fuckit," the warrior woman grumbles, clambering out of bed and grumpily pulling on some clothes and heading down the stairs to the inn's common room. Thinking hurts. Food now.

Only... Andra finds herself noticing something as she walks into the common room. It's the people, see. They're looking at her like... like they believe in her. Like if there's any trouble, she'll sort it out. And... maybe worse, she finds herself thinking that way too.

Now, this isn't a strange or new thought for Andra. She's been in that whole 'I trust you to get me out of this incredibly stupid and dangerous situation that you may or may not have put me in' before. It's called 'being in the Army.' When examined critically, the whole reason that militaries have all that discipline and pageantry and folderol and 'sir-yes-sir' bullshit is all an adjunct to the basic social contract between soldiers and officers - that soldiers say, in effect, You're going to give me an order that I will almost certainly think is foolish, and following it could get me killed. But we have a deal, you and I. My side of the deal is that I'll obey that order, and trust that you're giving it to me for a good reason, or at least what you think is a good reason. Your side of the deal is that, having given the order, you will stay the gently caress out of my way while I do it, and you will run interference with the political side of things. That's the agreement every military runs on. Without that agreement, it all falls apart. All the other attendant military bullshit is just there to reinforce that agreement and to distract everyone involved from the fact that, when you stop and think about it, almost everything a military does is loving insane on general principles. So, anyways, the point is, she's used to this kind of notion.

What she isn't used to is feeling it as a civilian. She left the Army. The last people who trusted her didn't get the better of that bargain. So... here she is. She's not their Sergeant, she's their... what, Champion, or something?

The thought is slightly disconcerting.

Suddenly she isn't feeling so hungry anymore, so Andra darts out of the common room and wanders the streets of Coltain. Maybe she can find those little kids she was talking to before she left, see how they're getting on. There was a little girl... she told the kid to stand up for herself. Way things work, that means now she's either doing well by herself, or dead in an alley. Andra's going to find out which.

It's a small goal. An easy goal to focus on. Much easier than thinking about... well, everything else, really.

Oooo, internal monologuing. Some of my favorite stuff to do! Anyways, Andra's gonna go track down the street urchins she bribed for info before she and Civar left, see what they're up to. 'Sides, if there's anything Fishy (tm) going on in Coltain, odds are they'll know about it, too, so maybe she can find a new Problem That Needs Solving to distract herself.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, (Living Bronzes Room, Imperial Academy, Eisos, Eosia)

Edo frowns a little. "I'm not sure. I made him better, but it looks like it also made him bronze. That's never happened before, but I've never tried to heal a magister before." Edo moves closer to Magister Katinos and, after getting a nod of acceptance from the magister, gingerly touches his arm. The metal is smooth, soft and disturbingly warm, but bears the unmistakeable texture of a poured bronze. And yet it moves easily and fluidly as Katinos flexes. Edo felt Stavos helping, but decides now is not the time to discuss that. Instead he address Magister Katinos. "Are you sure the spell cast on you didn't interfere with my ability? All I've ever been able to do is see the sickness in people and carve it away. Oh, I guess I made an alcoholic wifebeater immune to alcohol, but that was a mistake."

He looks back at Magister Ajikan and smiles winningly. "I can do your stomach now if you like. I'm confident you won't turn to bronze. Once we're done, if Magister Katinos can spare the time, something horrible has happened near here - it's like a wound in the universe. Kind of ...burning, almost. We need to find it and close it as soon as we can."

Charming +2 might be relevant if there's a social roll here. If Ajikan can be persuaded to get some healing, +2 Divine Healing/Lifecarving and +4 Carving to heal him of all illnesses and restore him to the peak of life. If Ajikan decides to be a dick, +2 Strong and +2 Sailor (all sailors can fight) to knock him out with a solid punch to the face.

Cacto fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 29, 2013

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Degowin (The Frozen Wilds, outskirts of Northward)

Degowin bid the Frostborn to capture the remainder of the hunting band while he recovered his lost tools. He concentrated his powers, growing more familiar each time he exerted them, through the frostborn to add to their own strength in the matter.

“Hunters. I was the man Degowin. You thought the cold would claim me, and instead I claimed the cold. Serve me well and I’ll spare you. Resist and...” He motioned to the Frostborn. “I’ll claim you.” He looked away to the South. “I have met the Giant. I killed it and ate of its flesh. I reclaimed the Great Antlered One.” He looked back. “Something terrible has happened in the South. Serve me well and I may empower you to defend against it.”

Cold+2 and Sound Control+2 to aid the Frostborn in bringing the remainder to me and giving them the option to be mortal agents or frostborn. Don't want to keep pushing my luck with the Frostborn-making right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar "Brewmaster" Kit'An

Shadows were already stretching across the land when we arrived at Harvan. The shadows of the trees lining the road stretched towards us like grasping claws. A superstitious man might have taken it as a bad omen, but fortunately I know that shadows are just shadows at days end, unless you see two Ravens perched in the branches of the tree. If they're devouring a snake it's a very bad omen.

A broad smile strecthed across the guards' faces as I slipped them my customary bribe. It was a rather gruesome sight. Some men should never smile. They told me that Ferka and his band were camped in the usual spot; a large field near the river, on the far side of town. Delighted, I handed them another bottle of my special brew and they added that he might not be staying long. One of them hesistated for a moment before adding that I might want to join them when they left, some strange things had been happening lately. (I later realized that he was trying to protect me. Although I'm an honest man, mostly (okay, some days), my reputation isn't entirely savory.) I assured him that I planned on leaving in a few days anyways, once I'd gotten some supplies together. I was after all, chasing a dangerous and greedy merchant/witch, who had been routed from his lair by none other than myself and the mighty Andra!

I passed into the city and stopped at the Green Dragon inn. Aideen and I would spend the night here, so that she'd have a chance to wash the dust of the road off her before meeting Ferka on the morrow.

Action in a later post. I figure I arrive in Harvan a few days after the JUDGING but want to talk with puppies/Zombie before posting how we meet up.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Town in NW Taeloss

"That may be true, but you're gonna have to find one willing to live up in the mountains, unless you want to marry a girl and never see her again. Also, I made a promise to Adam to return shortly, and I don't go back on my word. So we'll head back to Sellos first, and if there's no one there that draws your eye, I'll be glad to broaden the search." Kovar gives Jussep a winning smile, "Plus, I'd be willing to wager Adam might be persuaded to give you a little gift to help you down the road, and with his nose for gold and gems you might get something to really help you seal the deal should you meet the girl of your dreams."

As he lead the pair back to the mining town, Kovar engaged them in idle chatter, at least that's what it appeared on the surface. In fact, he was trying to learn as much about them as he possibly could, these two had a bright future and the best way to make sure it came true was to know them inside and out. Plus, knowing what to look for was a good start when looking for Jussep's future wife.

Trying to subtly learn all the personal info I can about Jussep and Algard on the way back to Sellos.

Powerful Charisma[+4] - To use Kovar's charm to get them to open up.

Experienced General[+4] - A good general knows how to put his troops at ease, and how to build a mental profile of potential officers.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan) Green Dragon Inn some time later in the day after the judging

"...and so I pulled it loose and well, the rest is pretty straightforward I think."

Plonking the Sword onto the tabletop between us, I looked across the table at Civar and his strangely dressed friend.

"There were a lot of things the old woman said which don't make sense to me, things I saw in the mist which I've really no clue how to interpret just yet but hey! You guys are from the southern baronies! And you're a traveler right? That must be pretty exciting and rewarding of a lifestyle, oh no thanks I can't eat and drink in front of others it's a uh... knightly oath. Because I'm a knight errant see, and there's all these restrictions until I've reached the end of my quest to..."

Breathing an inward sigh of relief that the byzantine codes of knightly conduct can be oriented to justify any combination of strange behaviours, I changed the subject quickly.

"And yeah the Sword! I'm not sure how much help it would be to you to look it over, but it's certainly magic and very, very sharp. There was a long list of prose and flowery language describing it and what it's supposed to be able to do originally, but I didn't get a very good look at the time since I was in a bit of a hurry. I've certainly established that it's very, very sharp and I can do this-"

Raising the blade halfway I project a beam of light, illuminating and blinding a man across the crowded Inn in the act of pickpocketing an old drunk.

"Something to do with Justice and doing the right thing seems to work usually, which works out well enough for me. The world's a terrible chaotic place full of horrible things and people who commit despicable acts which cry for attention."

LLSix I think the way things are looking, waiting for our respective schedules to overlap will prove to be impractical. I'm willing to handwave away a reasonable and introductory encounter if you are, and am willing to back your Forgelord plan. We could even make an event of it or maybe have zombie246 throw down the funds for it using his Nobleman trait. I spoke with him about it last night and he said he'd back my play officially once we get the ball rolling, and it wouldn't be weird for you to take the lead with whatever suggestions you've got as well as if Witchy Witch has any comments to chime in on the conversation.

Officially, my Divine traits are Sword/Justice, and my Mortal traits are Champion/Military Background/Nobleman's Daughter although I'd like to keep that last one under my hat for as long as possible and not tell anybody about it until forced to. I could totally go for some sort of defensive gear which is Order-reinforced and/or trips up people taking a swing at me whilst I'm on a job for Justice. Or heck, if you're taking custom requests I would like to eventually request some sort of mechanical steed to replace poor, dearly departed Chestnut.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

As the group finished bounding themselves in a covenant to Mazir, he saw the small changes in their bodies, they changed, and he felt their thoughts. He felt some small threads of power as they joined him.

Hmmm, interesting, perhaps this can be more advantageous.

Looking to his new followers, Mazir decided that he needed more, and that his home wouldn't support every member of his "family". Remembering the cave that he was directed to for his experiments, he had a new idea.

Now that we are bound, we must grow our power and influence. There are only so many souls in this area, and I can draw power from followers, which can amplify my soul consumption. He said not entirely sure if it was true, but with the same confidence as he always spoke.

Berel, you most likely know of those who crave powers and abilities, seek them out in this community and bring the, to the caves. If they pledge their loyalty, I can one day give them, but know that you will be ahead of them when I can give power. Kelet, seek out those who desire more, and bring them, for one day I will be able to grant them their desires and make their wishes come true. Salima you hear the many secrets of people, seek them out and bring them to me, for if they join our bond, their secrets will remain safe so long as they remain with us. Hartun and Zel, my loyal companions, get some rest, then please dispose of the bodies in the basement. Afterwards, continue you're search for people to join our community

Staring out the window in the dining room, he continued We'll be moving this operation to the caves near town, people won't question why I'm there since my stink bomb went off. Work hard my brothers, the quicker we can accumulate power, the sooner we can set our plans in motion. The Sands are disorganized, weak individually, if we can grow, who knows what we may accomplish in these lands? Go forth and bring prosperity to our community!

Sending out my followers to recruit people and I'm moving to the caves outside town.

[+2 Charisma] Inspire my companions to recruit as many people as they can.

[+4 Magic] Use my magic to make moving into the cave easier.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (The best forge in Harvan)

With a delicate move kind of shifty and smooth
A shadow has covered the light
Then a beam in the shade from a slivery blade
Has shattered the edge of the night

"My father used to sing songs about a sword of light. I never thought I'd actually see it though. There are old stories about how to reforge such a blade should it ever be broken. I am certain I can indeed sharpen it for you, as well as a good deal else. It will be expensive though. Very expensive. One other thing, in exchange I want your help to make a smith's hammer worthy of the task. I have the skills to forge one, but a poor, honest, wanderer like me would never be able to afford the quality materials to do it properly.

Oh, and one other thing. Aideen here is thinking about maybe settling down here. If she does, I want your promise to help her."

I pulled Aideen aside for a short talk about what she wanted to do: "Aideen, I think this is a great opportunity for you to have some powerful people owe you a favor, and I could really use your help with this. However, if you want, I can take you to meet Ferka right now. It's up to you, but if you want a chance to put your powers to good use and do something to keep what happened to you from happening to anyone else, this is it."

I rose well before dawn the next day and set about cleaning and ordering the forge that my new found patrons had secured for me. It was in fantastic shape, and the master smith who ran it had taken the sort of care you would expect, but for this, everything needed to be perfect. I cleaned every surface with slow, certain motions, feeding a bit of the order I could sense coiled inside me into each item. As I swept the floors I took slow, deep breaths, centering mind, body, and soul. I carefully laid out the coal in the forge hearth, brick by brick then ritually washed myself in pure spring water, pumped from the heart of the earth as dawn teased at the edges of the sky. I followed the dawns light back into the forge and, as the first light of the new day speared into the hearth, I lit the fire. I quenched the completed hammer for the last time in the smooth oil pressed from olive as the last ray of sunlight faded from the forge. I left the 24 pound hammer there, in the cool, perfect order of the forge to soak in the perfection I had brought to that place. In the morning, I would return to see what I had wrought.

Making a forge hammer that gives bonus to crafting (and maybe knocking heads), total of +6 + help (mortal & divine action)
D: Order +2
M: Tinker +4

I'm expecting help from Puppies & Zombie & maybe Aideen? I'd suggest you kick in
Sword +2 (give the hammer mastery over swords so that they cannot match it & are easier to make)
Champion +4 (prize money from the tournament for premium equipment and materials)

Truth +2 (so that the hammer can make true/platonic ideal things)
Strong Body +4 (help with forging, it's a strength intensive task and very exhausting)

Aideen Witch +? - maybe make the hammer lucky? or make the wielder stronger/tire less quickly, maybe resistant to fire, or better able to work with wood?

but it's your characters, whatever you think will be cool.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos - Hideout

Octagon finally makes it back to his modest hideaway, and practically collapses into his comfortable chair. That was far too much running around and other such nonsense for one night. He pours himself a goblet of wine, and takes a long swallow. He had earned a reprieve.

quote:

Octagon: "So, Miss Spider. Now that we have no pressing business to attend to, I'd be curious to know why you want to ride in my shirt for an undetermined amount of time. That seems a curious request, especially considering what you gave in exchange. I doubt it was on a whim."

Spider: "Because you move about a lot. I can see new places. Also it's warm and cozy in here and there's lots of flesh to bite if you become especially...vexatious."

Octagon: "So I'm to be your mobile carriage, and not much more, hmm? That sounds... surprisingly unremarkable."

Spider: "Our webs may be complex and a lot of work to spin, but their purpose is really very simple. Simplicity is complexity and complexity is simplicity."

Octagon took another swallow of wine. He was going to need it. "Anything in particular you wish me to avoid, beyond accidental crushing?"

Spider: "Water would be good. I'm not a good swimmer."

Octagon: "Duly noted."

Octagon finished off the goblet of wine afterward. He wasn't much inclined to the water, himself, so he foresaw few problems there. Speaking of webs, he had a few of his own that needed tending...

Once I am done talking to the spider, I am going to put my ear to the ground, metaphorically speaking, and listen for any snippet of information that might interest me. A job, a rumor, some bit of gossip about the west, or absolutely nothing at all. Espionage [+4]. Oh, also, where am I meant to go to get paid for all this trouble I went to?

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2013

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Daveron (Arandia, Harvan) Green Dragon Inn some time later in the day after the judging

Daveron only half pays attention to the conversation at hand as he downs flagon after flagon of ale, burping, and grumbling with small periods of passing out. When Civar and Ilvis attempt to bring him up to speed on the situation at hand, Daveron waves his hand in an annoyed fashion, "Don't tell me a story about it, just tell me what to do." He grumbles more, and the chair beneath him collapses.

"Just my luck."

Aiding Civar's action, throwing in Truth +2 (so that the hammer can make true/platonic ideal things) and
Strong Body +4 (help with forging, it's a strength intensive task and very exhausting), and +2 Noble Blood (because he's got some good materials connections among those other nobles who happen to have some guilds in their pocket.

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Lilian - Taeless, Taelos - The Pits

Breathing heavily she'd swing her body around to face her opponent. "I suppose they are waiting for..us to go at..each other now?". Her voice was strained as she struggled to keep a calm composure, she didn't feel exhausted but she could feel her lack of stamina already taking it's toll on her. "You can see I wont... go down easy, and I expect they.. want a blood bath then?"

Her hand gripped the hilt of her sword firmly as she glanced from side to side, watching the audience but still keeping her focus on what was likely her next target. With an innocent smile she'd slide her left leg back and arch her right leg. The wind blew through the arena causing her pony tail to flutter in the breeze as she listened to the quite whispers hidden within.

"Hahahah, just kidding~!" she'd drop her stance and scamper on over to the silent man and held out her hand to meet his "We did good, let's give them a flourish and be on our way~"

Charisma +2: Body language is important, got to give off an air of victory for the spectators to enjoy~
Also seems I accidentally started using Liliana, a more common name I use, sorry for the inconsistency.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Sellos Hovel/Mine

He had taken his time to gather all the workers around after that morning - most of it was spent saying an obscene amount of 'sorry's to the Langleys down the road. Waking up to find out that perhaps your 'condition' was not only morally damaging, but possibly contagious, can really make a man rethink his life decisions.

He had retreated into his new home - hiding under his covers for a good hour or so, before emerging, his mind made up. Gathering Thadroin, he summoned the other miners - and the Langley family - to the Fel Forge, then stood in front of them lip bit.

He didn't like this one bit. He hated public speaking. He hated speeches. He hated ultimatums. Most of all, he hated any attempts of leadership.

But he also hated change - a commodity that had become scarce in his life.

He straightened himself, remembering to keep an eye on his accent, and began.

"Everyone, friends, family. Nosy kids - I see you there Rolf, best hope your father knows you're here.

I have a bit of an announcement to make.

You all know me, less than a season ago I was just the smithy working out of his home, with his two merchant brothers, a taste for ale, and a bloody good hand at making trinkets for your better halfs. It was always going to be that for me - I would have lived, breathed, married - I hoped - and died in Sellos, because it was my home. Where my father worked, where his father worked, and, once again I hoped, my wee children would work.

Then something happened two tendays ago. The stars themselves fell, and the world as we know it changed. I woke up a tinier man than I went to bed as, with more hairs on my chest than a forest bear. But I also woke up with more knowledge of metal and the earth than I honestly think it's humanly possible.

I'm not the only one either. That man I've been seen with, Kovar, he can look into a scene and work out the best way to make it work for him. Thadroin, over here, is practically a walking statue.

And Felwen, dear Felwen, became one with the earth when it tried to claim his life. We stand right now in his forge, and will honour his memory till the end of our days.

We are not the only one's who have changed. Elsewhere, around the world, people are beginning to do strange things. There may be people who can lift rocks with their mind, or bend metal with their bare hands. Maybe there's someone there who could fly.

None of that matters to me though, just that my village is safe.

So here's the thing - I know how it really works. I've got some ideas... I think if I set my mind ta dae something, I can make it happen. I think. It's weird. But I don't know if I do it on purpose or not. If you come with me, and I start teaching you how to see like I dae, where to spot ores, how to make axes, why my accent is so weird... I can't guarantee that you won't turn into what I am.

But I can garantee this - if ye come wi' me, an' we learn what we're becoming together, I will train ye. I will teach ye. Ye ken dig deeper intae the mountain like nae other. Smith better than any man yoo'll ever meet. Mine with the strength ay ten men. Fight with the strength ay twenty. Drink with the belly ay fifty. Bed ye wives with... uh... well... very very well.

I will welcome ye into me home like a blood brotha. I will back you up if ye need me. be there if ye call. Drop everything if I even for one moment think ye're in danger. I cannae know if you see this as a wee curse, or a blessing, but it's a change. N' if th' warld is changin', 'en we shaa change wi' it, until it we can make it change wi' us.

Come wi' me. Become mah brothers. become a..." he paused for a moment, his throat burning. Something was forcing it's way out from the back of his lungs, enough to cause his eyes to widen and his breath to stop. His eyes glazed over, his body go rigid. A word - strong, confident, precise, heavy - hidden deep within him, rose out from his lips, and as he said it, within him, he felt his world change yet again.

"...Dwarf."

Action: Big speech to the masses. Even though he is utterly afraid of speaking in public, Kovar isn't here to save him, and this is something he must do for himself if he wishes to change.

[Calm and composed +2] - He keeps a level head all the way thoughout the speech. No need to panic, Thadroin is there to support him, and the people have a right to make the decision to learn from him themselves.

[Dwarf (Divine) +2] - The word is said (finally), and with words come power. He has no idea if the idea of being a dwarf would be enticing, but he can't stop now, he has a fortress to build!

[Don't want no trouble -2] - OH GOD EVERYONE HATES ME BECAUSE I MADE THEM SHORT!

Druggeddwarf fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 4, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, that was unexpected. Perhaps there was the potential for an adverse interaction? Was it dangerous for him to assist others in performing actions such as those that He, Aldrain, and now provably Edo could perform? It was clear that Edo was as genuine as he had hoped for. However, this interaction bore rise to new questions. How could he verify an action undertaken by another if his very being complicated it? A rigorous scientific approach here could be trouble indeed.

Ultimately, it seemed that there was little that he could do until back at his lab, where he could more properly experiment.

Going to be passive this round; assisting Edo was dangerous enough and I don't want to tip my hand. If Edo requests my assistance, I'll provide a +2 Transmutation for healing. Alternately, if he goes off after the wound in the world, I'll join him. Lastly, if the magister attacks, I'll aid in defending him via +2 Transmutation unless I'm attacked in which case I'll throw in +2 Gentleman Dualist as well.

Sorry for the low quality post, I just haven't had time to really make a good decision this week. I wanted to try inspiring our test subject but I won't risk it while the magister is still around and potentially a threat.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 5, 2013

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain (Eosia, Imperial Academy of Eisos)

After eating, Aldrain shuffles back down to the Archives, searching for any entries that may be relevant to the feeling of evil from before. While he searches, he strains to listen to the shelves again.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Well, ok if that's what you need me to do I can give it a go."

Tapping the Sword against the anvil, I look it over carefully again before handing it off to Civar for a look.

"There's definitely something about the metal, and the feel of it has a uh... I don't know. It's hard to describe. A really real sort of... Swordliness you know? What did you need with all this other stuff? I got everything you asked for on the list, got more than my fair share of strange looks doing it too."

Watching him and Daveron pump away at the bellows before they begin banging away at the lump of metal, I marvel at the strange and symmetrical lines made by the sparks as they fly. Reaching over to the forge I place my hands against the side, breathing in the hot air and as the warmth pools in my stomach and leaves my body for the forge, alarming the others as the flames flare high suddenly.

"No, wait. Don't stop. It feels right."

I will follow LLSix's suggestion and contribute the following towards the MASTER HAMMER

Justice +2: Justice reinforces Order, to grant strength and rightness of purpose to the Bearer of the Hammer at his appointed task. Without Justice there can be no Order, or... maybe it's the reverse?
Champion +4: Yeah I've got prize money leftover from the Grand Tourney, and it's certainly enough to buy all the uh.. saltpeter? Coke? And whatever else it was you needed right?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg

The child wanted to fly. That is easy enough to arrange, and he has to make a delivery to town anyhow. His many-legged companions were far beyond any normal level of efficiency, and they created a great overhead of food that could be shared with the townspeople. It is one of the things that has allowed people to spread all about, their ability to transport and keep foods beyond the immediate meal that they were eating, and it was something that his companions already knew full well about.

He sighs, frustrated by the pleading, excited eyes of the child. He could have just had him stung and that would be quite the laugh- The sound of wasps beginning to buzz make him perish the thought before he could possibly regret could happen. Cooperation between the different species underneath him clearly carried great benefits, and adding another group to the fold couldn't hurt. Minburg may not know it, but grave danger still looms off in unknown distances. He had to create strong bonds that could not be broken by such a thing.

Wilhelm hoists the child up underneath the arms as his companions move and begin moving the mass of his extra crops, "Don't wriggle too much or I will drop you." His wings sound off a loud "ZZZZZZZZZzt!" as he flicks them at an extraordinary speed, lifting off from the ground and into the air to head towards the market square.

Carrying the child and the food towards the square using Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2. If that kid wiggles too much from excitement I'm gonna drop his rear end into the mud or something not too pleasant (but not lethal or causing major harm.) I'm gifting the food to Minburg!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

Andra goes to find Galariel and the others. Much to her possible amusement she discovers that they're playing knights and witches, with one of the smaller boys having been forced to be the witch and Galariel as Andra. The ringleader boy whose name you find out is Baros looks at you kind of guiltily when the group spots you. "You're not going to make me go back to the smithy are you miss? My arms hurt and its really hot in there." The sooty face makes a bit of sense now, and you reassure him that no you're not at the moment (although should Andra wish it wouldn't be too hard to find the smith and let him know where his errant apprentice is). When you ask about something funny going on the little kid's face lights up a bit.

"I know, maybe you can do something about the serpent!" He says earnestly and this time it's Galariel's turn to disparage the rumour.

"My dad says that's not true, that there is no serpent. He says it's just because the fisherman are being lazy Tomos." She says to the small kid which prompts a small shouting match of "Is not!" "Is too!" for a minute. Andra decides to step in when the children threaten to come to blows.

"I don't know if it's true or not miss, but there's been more broken boats late and Gerrick has been making lots of nails and brackets. He was up making more this morning." Baros says to you while Galariel and Tomos sulk by making faces at each other.

Edo and Stavos (Eosia, Imperial University of Eisos)

"Fine. Let it not be said that a Magister is unwilling to put their life on the line for the Empire. I will test your ability so that I might now what it is you do. Use your...whatever it is on me, I will know what you do." Magister Ajikan says with a grim note of determination to his usual arrogance. So Edo tried to change him as well, this time not feeling the aid of Stavos. He managed to heal Ajikan and shaped his body to be fitter, yet unlike Katinos the other Magister does not turn to metal, but neither does his youth return.

Ajikan frowns deeply though once this is done, casting several spells and with each one becoming increasingly perplexed and annoyed. Finally he snaps at Edo; "Alright, what is it that you have done? You have changed me, somehow, but I can't sense any magic at work. In fact I can't sense anything. It is as though you have just...changed things with your will!" Edo for his part realises that restoring youth is really difficult, sculpting the body is simple if not always easy as he's just shrinking and enlarging existing things. But age is...more intrinsic and a less defined quality.

Partial success, you managed on the healing and the body sculpting but not the reverse aging. That's the really hard part.

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Near Northward)

Degowin came to the clearing where his servants had gathered the other hunters. It was cold and they shivered, their warm clothing being barely sufficient to keep them warm in the night. He told them his words and saw the fear and understanding in their eyes, but the fear was not just to him. Their leader looked at Degowin and whispered almost like in a reverie.

"So it is true. I had a dream that you would become a monster and torture us. I had thought to give you a gentle death to the cold, but you have lived. Now we are cursed. Doomed."

Many edge away from him after these words, fearing you would strike them down as well due to their association. "We will serve you, Degowin, but what of our hunt. Will you let us take what we have back to our families, or will they too suffer for Thurjin's crime?"

Success, the hunters will serve you out of fear for now at least. But they also worry about their families. As well, you find out the person responsible for leaving you to die to the cold.

Civar, Daveron and Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Aideen had followed Civar not out of a sense of duty but mostly because she had wanted to cling onto the one source of stability and comfort she had in this place. She had followed him to the meeting with the two knights, even if one of them had been more of a lout than a real knight. To stay or not...she didn't know. Nowhere felt like home and she didn't feel like settling down here, Harvan was too large and someone might recognise her eventually. She had told Civar that she would continue travelling with him for a while, as long as he didn't mind. If he did well...she could always follow him she supposed.

Civar guided Daveron through what he needed to do for him. To have such order and precision was a bit of a shock for the big Daveron, who lived a more disorganised life. The forge seemed to sing as he struck at it and shaped the metal, as Civar quenched it and they worked the hammer head. Then it came to Ilvis' turn.

She took her sword and placed it on the anvil, feeling it resonate with the steel in it. The scent of hot metal and burning coal filled her nose and she breathed deeply, taking the essence of the forge into herself and pooling it within her. It was like a hot weight that wanted to flow through her, and it was into this that she poured the power of justice. As she worked her power into it, the essence of the forge began to spread through her and once she could not hold it anymore she let go. The flames at the forge rose higher.

"No, wait. Don't stop. It feels right."

Something seemed different, but no one could really make much sense of it. Their attention was focussed on their task. The flames grew bright, white and black and Civar placed the hammerhead into the flames. It absorbed the white until the fire contained only blackness and then Civar removed it and quenched it for the final time. Then Aideen spoke, her head thrown slightly back and her eyes defocused.

"Take in hand ye of worth, the hammer which will make men,
Strike the metal or the man, truth and justice will tell true,
Imbue the gift to metal wrought, to reveal lies and wrongs well hidden,
Or judge and deliver verdict, make those with evil break with rue.

I shall brook no hand lest that which be of pure intent that shalt strike true. Ye who would judge shall be judged, lest ye be found wanting."

Her voice rang thick with prophecy as the hammer was finished. On each of the three largest faces was a single word, each different. Truth, Order, Justice. The hammer itself was otherwise unremarkable but it held the feeling of power in it. Aideen dropped to her knee, faint with exhaustion as the grip of prophecy left her.

Ilvis found herself sweating profusely in her armour, and without even thinking about it took her helmet off so that she could breathe. Daveron paused for a moment, staring in shock at her as she scratched her itchy beard.

Wait.

There wasn't a question of success, you stacked the heck out of it. You've created the first Mortal Magic item, the Hammer of Justice. Like the legends of Mjollnir only one worthy of it will be able to use it, and it can be used to judge a man or forge a weapon that will strike true against evil hearts, that being people who would spread chaos, lies or injustice.

Additionally Ilvis acquires the Quirk: Male. This is because of her self-image and projected image disconnect.

Adam (Taeless, Sellos)

Adam spoke and all present listened intently to his words. Sellos was a mining town and everyone was bound in some way or another to the fortunes of the mine. Yet there was a kind of camaraderie and kinship amongst the miners. They were dangerous places, the roof could collapse and crush you unexpectedly and such things did happen from time to time. And so it was that they were like a community to themselves within Sellos. It was true, Adam's change had taken them by surprise and with some fear...yet they had begun to accept him for what he was. There was an allure as well, for Adam's prowess at finding metals and gems, at shaping stone had begun to be noticed. When Adam looked up and said that word, Dwarf, it was more than just the Langleys that said 'aye' in response. Not all present had changed but about another half of all those that had crammed into the place had somehow, in the space of Adam looking away to compose himself, shrunk to become Dwarves as well.

Over the next Tenday it came to pass that all the miners and their families in Sellos became Dwarves. Those in town who did not work in the mines did not change, nor did they seem like they would. A small shanty village grew in the wider area of the mines, temporary living for those Dwarves that no longer felt comfortable sleeping under just a plain roof. Adam for his part had hid for the fist few days, even more mortified at what he had done. But as time passed he realised something. Even if he didn't feel comfortable leading these people, they were his people now for better or for worse and he could lead them. It wouldn't be easy, but wasn't that what Kovar had said? That being a leader was often uncomfortable and unpleasant, but those who were good at it did it because it needed to be done and not because they wanted to.

On the other hand it was an entirely different matter when Thadroin tried to present Adam with a crown.

Success. You have now officially given birth to the Dwarf race! Adam also gain the Divine Trait: Leader [+2] because of this.

Kovar (Taeless, Sellos)

Although you had figured out a bit about Jusep before, your inquiries reveal quite a bit of insight into him. Jusep for all his attempts at laconic indifference is actually a fairly caring sort of person, he wants a wife because he envies that kind of bond that people have. Yet people in his hometown didn't take him seriously because he didn't step up and take charge. This wasn't because he was lazy, but because he disliked ordering people and controlling them. It was easier for him to follow and help people, to make them happy like that which had led him to becoming a guard. From this Kovar could figure out he needed a headstrong woman, someone that would make what she wanted know to him clearly and simply. But he would need to make sure that the woman wasn't too strong, too confident because Jusep was still a man and would feel troubled by being obviously subordinate to a woman.

When the trio returned to Sellos, a just over two tenday after they had left they discover the town greatly changed. Fewer people walk around the town proper anymore and there are a fair number of abandoned houses. It seems that all of the miners and their familes have become like Adam, and have taken to living in the mines. People are commenting they're making a new town in there, carved from the stone of the mountain. Yet they're not sure what exactly to make of all this, for the miners still come down and pay for drink, buy food and clothing and so on...but it's like they're almost a different people. Those left in Sellos proper seem kind of listless, as though part of them has been ripped out and they're not sure what to do about it.

Success, you would recognise a good wife for Jusep now. You can either find a decent match in Sellos or the nearby towns, or you could try further a field to find a more perfect match.

Mazir (Eleysian Sands, Elysia)

Over the next tenday Mazir reworks the caves on the far sides to his needs. A collection of tanned leathers, expensive but surreptitiously gained through the endeavours of Kelet and Salima for a cheaper price sheltered the entrance. The far back of the room had been converted into a private area, warded by Mazir and Berel so that only they could enter. Here Mazir worked his magic, slowly gaining power from those that would defy him. The middle area was converted into a living space, although only Hatrun, Zel, Berel and Mazir himself lived here for the time being. The front was a cover, with some deliberately foul smells that were carefully ensorcelled to blow away from the cave. Only those with reason to come inside visited the caves, and Mazir's cabal grew in size slowly but surely. By the end of the tenday following he had a small but sufficient network of subordinates, which was just as well. The clans were arriving and the risk and potential providence of this was immense. Mazir could use this to influence what would happen to the sands or, should he wish, have a vast source of people to feed on.

Success, you gain a small network of servants and agents. As a result you're fairly close to a new trait, I am just holding off to see what to give you. This event also coincides with Arashan's posts, when he was still in the game.

Octagon (Taeless, Taelos)

Octagon waits a while, trying to find out if something is going on. Eventually, as if inspired by the death of the merchant another noble wants a poison. Not just any poison though, a horribly virulent poison from Val Aman. Such items are naturally forbidden in Taeless, with its general dogma or straight and fair combat and to be caught with such a thing is to be sentenced to death. So naturally the noble is willing to pay a very large amount to have it...acquired. Eventually you notice one day your spider friend, the original one and not the noble, is missing. When you question the noble she replies simply; "Oh, I ate him."

Lilian (An ocean somewhere)

The crowd appreciates Lilian's showmanship and the applause is great. So it was that she left the arena and returned to her room. Life over the next few tendays is hard and Lilian becomes better at fighting in a real situation than she used to be. She learns to use her talent more practically but tries to hide it, for fear that its discovery might cause her to be trapped forever. Yet one day after she has finished there are two hooded men waiting for her in her cell. The old lady is fast asleep and they peer over at Lilian when she enters.

"Is this the one?" The first hooded figure, a male voice that sounds too wellspoken to be a mere thug. "Yes. I sensed no magic from her, yet she is in every fight the wind changes." The other replies, a female voice that sounds older and a bit harsher. "She must be like the fisherman and the alchemist. We will take her with us, it will be a better life than the arena I think." She continues and they both nod. Perplexed and without a weapon Lilian is about to try and react but they start chanting and she feels drowsy. She feels a knock to her her as she strikes the group.

The next thing she is aware of is the smell of the sea, and the rocking sensation of a boat as she wakes up on a bed.

Aldrain (Eosia, Imperial University of Eisos)

Aldrain finds some books on demon summoning which seem mostly to be about forcing out and dragging small creatures, Imps the author calls them, from another...place. The way they are described seems most foul, little creatures that delight and feed off of suffering and vice and will do their master's bidding until his control fails. Maybe something like this happened before, if anything it might give you a way to track down where it happened if you can figure out the 'words'.

The library for its part seems to rustle with a wind, which when you listen speaks to you seemingly saying; "Something forbidden comes...spread our knowledge...teach others not to fall to it."

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

Carrying the child is not as difficult as you had thought. It seems that there is a fair amount of muscle beneath your carapace which is odd...you are sure that is not the case with other insects. Perhaps your origin as a human makes you unique. It is certainly something to think about. The food is carried without incident although it takes many trips, the wasps and ants are small and while they are strong human labour is still proportionally difficult for them. If there was a way to breed them to be bigger, then it would be quicker and easier. When Wilhelm deposits the child, who has to his credit remained very still to avoid being dropped in town the youngster asks you a question with innocence in his eyes.

"Flying is neat Mr. Wilhelm, but how and why did you become a bug person?"

The townsfolk are naturally surprised to hear the child confirm that the strange creature before them was, in fact, Wilhelm and about your new form. But people are unsure whether to snatch the child away from you or not and freeze in a paralysis of indecision. Then they freeze from fear of the swarm of insects that slowly bring your crop of food into the market.

Success, the trip is without incident for both the child and the food.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Degowin laughed, fell in the snow and laughed some more. When he was done, he looked around to the huntsmen. “Once Thurjin and I have settled our score, you most certainly will be returning home to feed your kin. A thing I was not allowed to do. A thing which, if I had been allowed to do-”

Thurjin started. “Your kin were already dead. You were a madman, raving in the woods, believing if you managed to fell the old Great Antlered One you could bring them back. You’re mad, and I thought to end it. You weren’t far from the frost-death when we found you.”

Degowin sneered. “Lies!” So hard to remember. “Thurjin! I challenge you! To either finish the job or die for the attempt!” He threw the hunter a spear and, only for a moment, relaxed his hold on his twin powers.

Going to Mortal Battle this guy. Master Huntsman[+4] For the spear/knife fighting portion, Strongman[+4] For the Brute Strength, and Stealthy[+2] to not broadcast my moves. I will not use any godpowers during this fight. Hopefully he has an actual chance. Oh and if I do lose I want to write up my death scene.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Some combat in a frozen hellhole posted:

Attack (+10): 2d6+10 16
Defense (+10): 2d6+10 19

Attack (+8): 2d6+8 17
Defense (+8): 2d6+8 12

Results:

Degowin defends successfully and deals +6 of damge to Thurjin.

The combat is swift and bloody, both men leap at each other and strike but it seems that Degowin's increased size has not decreased his speed...at least not by enough. Thurjin finds himself gutted with a spear and starts coughing up blood. "Mercy...please..." He says desperately to Degowin, knowing that the giant was unlikely to give him any with his madness and with what Thurjin had tried to do. And so Degowin stood there, a man's life held within his hands...entirely.

I've rolled the next round, if you decide to try and finish Thurjin. You gut him horribly.

Anyone who does combat like this will get a quick resolution as well, as it's simpler to write in most cases.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos - Hideout

During the next few days, Octagon makes a point to collect his payment from his previous employer. He does not reveal the spider's involvement, merely stating that he used 'poison' to get the job down. Gold is exchanged, and they part ways. He prefers information to gold, but gold buys food and provisions, so gold will do.

-----

Over the next few days, Octagon keeps in touch with his small group of contacts, paying them for each tidbit of information they bring him. When the rumor of a noble seeking an exotic poison reaches his ears, he pays the man a midnight visit. Slipping into the nobleman's bedchambers in the middle of the night, Octagon makes himself comfortable in a nearby chair. He doesn't have long to wait before the noble himself arrives, seeking to retire for the evening. The presence of Octagon's cloaked figure reclining in one of his chairs no doubt startles him, and Octagon puts a gloved finger against his own lips to indicate silence. The nobleman speaks in a hushed whisper.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call my men."

"That would be most unfortunate, Mer Havash, because I am here to solve a problem. It has come to my attention that you are looking for a... very special something from Val Aman. Yes?"

"Yes. How did you get in here? Who are you?"

"No one important. Suffice it to say that I am a man who can help. It will take time. If it were easy to find, you would not need me in the first place. I'll expect payment on delivery. Agreed?"

"Yes, yes, of course. What assurances do I have?"

"None. I cannot promise success for obvious reasons. If you're worried I'm going to con you, feel free to bring a friend you won't miss. If you are not satisfied with the results, no need to pay. Deal?"

"Fine, fine. You... know where to find me, I suppose."

Octagon stands, giving the nobleman a somewhat curt and mocking bow. "Indeed. Good night, Mer Havash. I'll see myself out."

-----

Back at his Hideaway, Octagon begins packing supplies for his journey to Val Aman, making sure to bring several knives and his pair of crossbows. Also included are a spare change of clothes and enough gold to bribe whoever might require bribing. The absence of his spiderfriend puzzles him briefly, until Miss Spider explains.

"Ah. A pity. He was the first spider I spoke to."

Once packed, and the room sufficiently disguised to properly resembled abandoned property, Octagon sets out from Taelos, northeast toward Val Aman. It should be easy enough to catch a ride with a caravan heading that direction. Pay them enough, they won't ask too many questions.

Heading to Val Aman in search of deadly deadly poisons. I'll be using Discretion [+4] as I travel to avoid uncomfortable questions and any other unwanted, hostile attention. My knowledge of Poison [+2] should help point me in the right direction. Hope Miss Spider packed a lunch.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Scratching at my itchy cheeks, I frown as the curls of my mustache reach up and tickle my nose-

(WHAT?!)

Slapping both my hands against my cheeks, I look down in horror at lush growth of hair peeking out from between the large, manly hands. Pressing further down, I confirm the presence of an Adam's apple for a moment my head turns further down speculatively.

(No, it couldn't be. I mean this doesn't just HAPPEN. That's not what I think it is. No.)

"Daveron, I need to talk to you in private. RIGHT NOW."

Grabbing Daveron by the arm I drag him behind something in an isolated corner of the forge, stopping to wave amicably at Civar and the still apparently swooning Aideen.

"That was very exciting, thanks! Hang on for just a moment while we have a very special private conference. Just gotta check on one, really private thing."

Grabbing ahold of his cuirass, I hiss as quietly as I can despite my growing alarm. For good measure I pinch my cheek to make sure I'm really awake for double good measure and pinch him hard on the arm too.

"Daveron! First of all, don't scream. I'm not screaming, why would I scream? I'm sober and I'm not panicking, and I'm seeing it, and you, you're seeing it too. I mean, you ARE seeing it too right? This isn't like the time you drank wood varnish and started seeing purple manticores. I've... I've got things, that bristle! Was it the fire? Did you do something? What are we going to do?!"

Hey there, I don't think zombie246 is really available for a chat so it's not a problem if we continue this in bits and pieces via a series of IC posts right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar "Hammer Time" Kit'An (Harvan)

I abandoned the hammer we'd worked so hard to make with nary a thought. Rushing over to Aideen as she sank to her knees, I caught her and supported her. "Thank you so much for your help Aideen. I couldn't have done it without you." I didn't bat an eye at seeing that Eisner Faust, Tourney Champion and Sword of Justice was a man. Daveron & Eisner's actions were a bit perplexing, but I had more important things to deal with at the time.

Aideen seemed steadier after a few moments. Helping her stand I guided her over to a bench against the wall. Intended for wealthy and impatient clients, it was surprisingly comfortable. "Rest here as long as you need. Once I've repaid these knights for their aid, we'll be continuing North. There's bad trouble up that way and I intend to see it stopped. If nothing else, so that I can get a good nights sleep."

I'm really grooving the prophecy you added Nenji. Thanks!

Puppies, Zombie, when you figure out what you want, post it and I'll back you up.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 6, 2013

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

Daveron stares at Ilvis for a long time after she....he...it...stopped speaking, his mouth hanging open. He looks down at his massive cup, ale spilling out of it due to him slowly lowering it in his confusion. He looks back up at Ilvis, and takes a swig, then punches Ilvis in the face.

Leaning down, he helps Ilvis back up. "Sorry Ilvis, I couldn't do that when you were a girl. Plus this rattled my cage." He belches.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Ow! You hit me! I can't believe you hit me! Why would you do that?!"

Rubbing my aching jaw I stare up at him in shock before he pulls me up.

"So this wasn't some thing of yours then right? You don't have some sort of mystic prophecy hanging over you about or uh, some sort of magical gender-swapping curse involved with whatever it is you've got going on? The old woman from before turned me into a squirrel and some other things besides, I think to teach me humility or something but even there I was always you know, the same. Down there."

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron

Daveron grumbles and puts his hands in his pants, and pulls his hand back out. "Yup, still the same." Daveron just kind of stands there, thinking about random things, teetering a bit from the alcohol.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Grrrrwarh!"

Watching Daveron babble incoherently and fumble beneath his breeches with himself I'm struck with a rising sense of outrage which quickly turns into the ordinary kind of rage especially after he belches again and takes yet another drink. Seeing red for the first time in my life I lunge at him, butting him in the stomach and knocking him to the ground, smacking my skull up against his face in my rage.

"WHY! AREN'T! YOU! TAKING! THIS! SERIOUSLY!?"

I hiss out between clenched teeth as I grab his collar and shake him for emphasis.

"I've got, I've got a Ser Wilhelm. Something's not right about all of this and why can't you stop drinking for just one second to help me DEAL! WITH! THIS! TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE!"

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

Daveron growls, his eyes narrowing at his neice...er nephew, and then quickly his expression softens, and he starts laughing uproariously. He stumbles as he tries to stand up, using Ilvis to help him up.

He rubs his arm across his mouth, catching some of the ale that spilled when Ilvis knocked him down. "Look," he says, still laughing a bit, "Having a Ser Welhelm" he says, making waving hand gestures with the phrase, "Is not a problem." He grabs his ale mug, and pushes the door open to the rest of the tavern. "Look," he says, turning his head to speak to Ilvis, "I'll prove it."

He raises his mug out to the tavern patrons, and bellows out, "Here's to having a cock!" He is met with great shouts and hoots and here-here's and many other affirmations of ser wilhelm-having, most with their own mugs hoisted mightily into the air in a celebration of manhood (and drunkeness).

The rest of the tavern laughing behind him, Daveron's face hardens a bit, looking back to Ilvis, "See, it's not a problem. I'm going to grab another drink."

Daveron grabs a drink, and sits down at a table to play some dice games. He doesn't roll great, but his opponent's roll much worse.

No action, just hee-hawin

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 6, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"It's not funny, and you can't solve this with drinking."

Muttering darkly beneath my breath I settle into a seat at the bar, nursing a drink some drowsing idiot passes on to me. Despite the horrible taste, I take another pull.

"Why do you do this so often? This stuff's terrible!"

I guess let's go for a scene change to the nearby bar? LLSix I think zombie246 wanted to chain-cast a spell instead of forging an item for his thing, which is nice to get some variety for the plot anyway. The words "Dark Paladin Order" were used, and I think we can throw Sword/Order/Truth/Bad Luck/Justice to make them a holy order of dudes who swore on a sacred sword to y'know do truth and justice stuff even if it means being dicks about it, and who will suffer from terrifyingly bad luck if they break their vows.

How we get there is still a bit up for debate, and I'm still hoping to squeeze out some dialogue before wrapping up the scene. So... let's all get sloshed?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Degowin laughed more, reasserting his newfound powers and causing the chill in the air and the sound to echo throughout the woods. “Take your things, your kills, and return home. Your people’s provisions run low. We shall need to have a small feast to bolster their spirits. Prepare for a stew but do not waste food.” Degowin felt so hungry. Just enough to fill, once the rest had left.

Degowin searched the forest on his return to Northward. Certain roots, barks, and other things were edible. Not delicious, mind, but edible. He collected what he could find and brought it to the village, along with some already cleaned and sampled meat. In a large pot he threw together his huntsman’s stew. It was an eerie silence that stood over the events, any signing or attempts at music were hushed by the Frostborn. Degwin also attempted to imbue the Hunter’s Stew

In the end, the stew cooled quickly. “Now we eat! Degowin provides!”

Using +4 Master Huntsman to make a simple, nutritious, but okay-at-best tasting stew like a hunter might put together on the trial. Cold +2 is in there to help those who drink of it to be a littler harder in the cold, and Sound Control +2 for better hearing and quieter steps. It’s not race-changing, but a noticeable boon all the same.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 7, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

"Serpent, hmm?" Andra considers these tales for a bit. "Well, we'll just have to look into that, won't we, then? But I'll tell you what - I'm going to need your help."

Andra crouches, getting between Galariel and Tomos, lest they start arguing again, and places a hand on the shoulders of each child. "Galariel, I need you to go to the inn that I've been staying at; there are men there who came with me to fight the Witch, and they may want to come along for this as well. I want you to get them and let them know to meet me at the waterfront. Tomos, I need you to head down to the waterfront ahead of me and find some of the fishermen who claim to have seen this serpent, if there are any, and have them meet me by the wharf. Okay?"

After the two children agree and run off (assuming they do, of course, but Andra is pretty sure they'll be excited to feel like they're a part of something), Andra turns to Baros, looking grave. "And you, Baros, you will have the most important task of all. If there's a Serpent, we will need harpoons and such to deal with it, yes? So I need you to run back to the smithy and tell your master what we'll need, and ask him to get some of his fellow smiths together and get ready to equip us. And I'll need you to help him. I know - the smithy isn't the place you want to be. But we can't fight a serpent without serpent-fightin' stuff, right? You tell the smith, if he makes me a harpoon and he lets you help, I promise you that not only will I pay well for it, I promise you that I will use it, personally. Sound like a good deal?"

Okay, so maybe using the kid's own suggestion for Adventure as a way to get him back to work and out of trouble is a little manipulative, but it'll be good for him in the long run, Andra reasons.

Using Charming as Hell [+4] to get the wheels turning for the Serpent Investigation And Extermination Excursion. Let's go swimmin'.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar Kit'An (Arandia, Harvan, a tavern)

Settling in to the seat beside Ilvis I take a pull from my own ale and make a face. "Ughh, this stuff is aweful. What kind of horse piss did you serve us Anton! I paid my tab before I left last year. Mostly."

Anton: *grunt* "That's a drat fine brew that is. You liked it so well last year you still owe me 4 silver solidus. So you and your friend there can quit your gripping or get out of my bar."

My face twisted up as I took a second tentative sip of my beer. "Well this batch tastes like poo poo. I'm switching to redberry sharbat; one for both my friends. And don't worry my friend here will pay you. He's rich!" Turning to 'Eisner'. "Sharbat is a drink favored by the Tia'cha. My father once told me that there were three things of value in this world: an honest man, a true song, and cool sharbat. Give it a try. Now, what's bothering you? You and grumpy over there lit out of the forge like dogs chasing a coney." I thought it had been more like horses panicking away from a snake, but it wouldn't have been polite to say so.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 7, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Taking the proffered drink I mask a grimace at the still abominable taste, coughing into my cup when it some of it goes down the wrong tube.

"So uhm, Civar? You're a traveler right? You and your people have a history of ranging far and telling tales? Have you ever heard any tales of magical curses or maybe some sort of prophecy that involves... changes?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

***Kovar returned to a town set adrift, to say it was unexpected would be an understatement. He quickly set out to find Adam to learn just what had happened while he was away.

***Adam was, in the meantime, well and truly in despair. Thadroin had been to visit - and had not long left - him at the Fel Forge near the mountain hovel, and had left with him sitting on his own anvil, his head in his hands, and a very intricate crown on the table in front of him.

Kovar: Hearing from the town's folk that Adam could be found in the mines, Kovar leaves Jussep and Algard to try and piece together what happened while he heads down below. He quickly runs into a small carved out area, and sees Adam sitting. Calling across the room he asks, "Are you alright?"

Adam: "No."

Kovar: "Can you tell me what happened? Half the town seems to be missing."

Adam: He seemed to shift, then looked up, seeing Kovar. "Oh. Kovar! You're back! Ah. Um..." A very sheepish grin spreads across his face, and behind his now partially plaited beard -wait, he thought, why on earth am I playfully plaiting my beard? - he felt his face turn rather red. "Um.. we might need to talk."

Kovar: "I had guessed as much when I arrived. What happened? Are you unharmed?"

Adam: "Oh.. Oh I'm fine. Personally, I'm alright. Well... maybe my ego's taken a bit of a hit... but I'm fine. It's the rest of the village you're going to have to worry about. Uh.. I may have... and I don't know why... but I may have asked them to become... like... me..."

Kovar: "What do you mean?"

Adam: "I think... well, I know can now but.. I made... them... into me. Short. Hairy. Really good with axes. Like this." He gestures to himself, standing bashfully.

***Kovar is intrigued, "Truly? Tell me about what happened, give me every detail."

***Adam begins to tell him of the events that unfolded, from the time that he spoke to Thadroin in the river, till the speech, till his voice changed.

Adam: "And I dinnae new what would happen..."

Adam: "...but when ma voice changed, suddenly a word cam poppin out like a wee babae... Dwarf... It feels... it feels bloody good it does."

***Kovar ponders for a minute. "I think I can guess why this happened."

Adam: "So can I.." he said, a soft smile forming, "but I'll let ya take a wee crack at't"

Kovar: "It's you. It may be some effect of our condition, but as people started to follow you they were changed."

Adam: "Aye. That much I gathered... hence.. well.." he took a breath, catching his accent again. "Hence, the speech. It's... it's a little more complicated than that. You and Thadroin have made it very blunt. Things are different now, and sooner or later, the bad is coming. Especially if it has anything to do with the man Balatharkoth or whatever Fel called him. Maybe it already has. Maybe we're too late...."

Kovar: "What do you mean?"

Adam: "Not sure if I told you this before, but Fel was saying that this Balathar person, he called for people to spill blood in his name. So if he ends up coming here, that's what he will want from us. The last thing I promised Fel before we passed, was that I would have no blood spilt on this land. like I said before, if the world is changing, then we have to change with it. Until the world...

Adam: ...changes with us. So, when I made the offer, I knew things would change. I just... well... didn't expect it to be so drastic."

Kovar: "Well, this really isn't that bad, all things considered."

Adam: "It is when they make you a crown Kovar."

***Kovar laughs, his voice deep and hearty. After a moment or two he controls himself, "Is that what you're so worried about?"

***Adam flashes Kovar the dirtiest look he could muster. "This is serious! It's a crown! Like a king! I'm not a bloody king, I'm a very exhausted smith with a beard threatening to plait itself and and unhealthy fondness for axes! By Stones and Ores I hope Thadroin was joking about this!"

Kovar: "Are these new 'dwarves' happy?"

Adam: "...well..." he cocked his head slightly, frowning. "yes."

Kovar: "Then it's a pretty natural reaction on their part. They respect you, they're willing to follow you, it's why they were changed."

***Adam grunts, rolling his eyes with dejected resignation. "Fine. Alright. I'll give you that. I have a bit to talk to you about that too... but after you tell me what happened. Come on in. Take a seat."

***Kovar takes up a stool close to Adam. "I'm afraid my story is far less interesting."

Adam: "Believe me," he says, leaning on his forge. "I can do with less interesting right now."

Kovar: "Well, I managed to get paid, and Jussep and Algard decided to stay on. Oh, and I agreed to find Jussep a wife."

Adam: "Wait... what?"

Kovar: "That's his condition for staying on, I need to find him a nice girl he'd be willing to settle down with."

Adam: "...uh... you do realise I just turned this place into a dwarf... fortr... no... village?"

Kovar: "Yes, but one of the hallmarks of a good general is the ability to keep cool and analyze any situation."

***Adam shrugs, flashing another soft smile. "hope Jussep loves himself a short woman..."

Kovar: "And if not there's still half the village out there."

Adam: "Good point... that reminds me. I... um... I have a bit of a plan."

Kovar: "Well we're also going to have to talk about the remaining villagers. They seem... adrift."

Adam: "That's part of it. I have an idea... but.. give me a moment." He stands up straight, taking a deep breath, and closing his eyes. There was a moment of silence, as he once again reached into himself, trying to find the source of the courage he had come to find when speaking to his 'people'. When he opens his eyes and speaks again, it brims with confidence and strength.

Adam: "Sellos is a toon Ah loove. a toon 'at we aw loove. but whit if it coods become mair than 'at? reit noo, within th' mines, heard workin' dwarves dae their best tae bend metal an' staine intae somethin' amazin' an' new. an' Ah am nae a body tae gonnae-no them. "

Adam: " it thaur, thaur ur fowk fa huvnae yit heard ay us. ay th' fowk ay sellos. ay dwarves. ay us. sae suin. it will be time tae shaw them. Ah will gang ben th' fowk haur. fin' a select few 'at ken their way aroond th' warld, an' wish tae see mair. train them. shaw them th' best ay mah ability."

Adam: "then Ah will send them tae th' fower corners ay th' earth tae practice their craft. be uir representatife. if fowk loch whit they see, they will come haur. tae sellos. whaur they will fin' us waitin' tae greit them wi' open arms. it will be toogh. it will be stoaner. but wi' us... it can be dain."

***Adam he took another deep breath, and his stature slouched, returning to normal.

Kovar: (English translation?)

Adam: ((I will train dwarves, and send them to the four corners of the earth to practice their craft, and have them send people here who want to learn.))

Kovar: "Well it seems like it just wasn't the town that changed. Although I'd urge you to think very carefully about your plan."

Adam: "What do you mean?"

Kovar: "What happens if some tyrant or greedy noble hears about you and decides he wants you all to himself? What happens when he sends an army?"

***Adam eyes deepen, and the soft smile comes again. "Well, it won't come to that Kovar. You'll prepare me."

***Kovar thinks for a second. "It won't be just you that needs to be prepared. The townsfolk left on the surface are distraught and without direction, they need a new purpose and I think I can kill two birds with one stone."

Adam: "I understand that, Kovar. Hence, why I need you." He stands up and takes a short breath again. "I need you to see for me. Your eyes are, drat I say it... the greatest thing I have ever seen. In people, in places, in life, you see all, you understand all. I am no nobleman, nor am I a general. But with you, I would have better than a chance against both. And for that same reason... I need...

Adam: ...Thadroin as well. He understands me better than I thought. By the Stones," he paused, rotating the word in his head, "By... the Stones... yeah... By the Stones, he was in my head long enough to get how I think. If there was ever someone whom could show me where I was going wrong, it would be him."

Kovar: "Then I'm going to attempt to turn the town above into an armed camp. The people there are longing for a new direction, and if you're plan is to work there needs to be a credible force to prevent outside attack. It'll also be the seed I have long talked about."

Adam: He nods. "Armed camp huh. I see. Why don't we work on a compromise. We need a wall."

Kovar: "Well, somewhere between a fortress and a city is what I had in mind."

Adam: "And that sounds like a plan to me. When I get people settled in, we can aim for a fortress. Built by Dwarves."

Kovar: "It also bears testing whether what happened to you is unque to your power or whether any who follow me will change as well."

Adam: "That makes a good point too," he says, sitting down. "Of course, my plan is going to take some time. Maybe even whole seasons. till then we still need to know what to do with the people up top. the town is... well.. empty. I was thinking... although it's a terrible idea... that maybe we should find more people like us. Try and get them on our side. But I don't know how in the world I would start looking."

Kovar: "Well, nearly half of the original population of Sellos is up there, and you don't create an army overnight. It'll take months of training and preparation."

***Adam smiles. "We have months to prepare them. But these are both long term plans. In the meantime, I have dwarves to teach, and you have speeches to give. Oh, and we have a lot of forging to do."

Kovar: "I assume our original deal is still intact, I still want to train you, and still want to learn to forge."

Adam: "Naturally. And I if you wish to teach my people of Sellos to fight, then we have an agreement. Although..." he says, lifting his hand to his beard, stroking it. "Thinking about it... why.. don't we recruit people from the neighbouring mountain towns?"

***Kovar smiles, "As I said, the town above is meant to be a seed, a seed of something much greater."

Adam: "Aye, but like ye said, months it will taeke. Might as well find something ta do in the meantime."

Kovar: "Well, training the town and training you and learning to smith is going to be a full time endeavor."

Adam: "Aye... but that will occupy, perhaps seven of the tenday. Giving us three days ta take a break. so with the end of every Tenday, I say we see what our neighbourhoods are like."

Kovar: "Worthwhile. Though we may want to put one town on the bottom of our list."

Adam: "Oh? Which one? We need to broaden our horizon you know - finding Jussep a wife isn't going to be as easy as it looks."

Kovar: "Well, let's just say that the town Jussep and Algard are from were less than pleased that they decided to leave the guard and travel with me."

Adam: "Ah. Well.. good point... Keep that in mind and all that. Although," he says head tilted up high "Wives come first! It is our duty as... as... whatever the Ore we are, to reach out and help this man get himself a woman."

Kovar: "Oh, I know what to look for. Know anyone left among the unchanged who you'd say is a strong woman, one willing to take charge if necessary?"

***Adam shudders, biting his lower lip with a gigantic frown on his face. "Yes. Barbara."

Kovar: "She might be a good fit for Jussep then."

Adam: "I don't know... me and the brothers were her next door neighbour, and believe you me, that woman is not a good fit for anyone."

Kovar: "Jussep needs a strong woman in his life, he's not the kind of person who takes charge, he likes being lead."

Adam: "Oh.. oh she's a leader alright. She'll lead him to an early grave!"

Kovar: "Well it was worth an ask."

***Adam throws his arms in the air "Alright. fine. We'll ask her. But don't say I didn't warn you. Feisty is not a word strong enough to describe her."

Kovar: "Well he needs someone strong, but not dominating."

Adam: "Of all the people at the top, she's your best candidate. Most of the womenfolk are married around here. Believe me, if Barbara won't do, I will gladly take ye ta one of de local villages meself!"

Kovar: "Ok. Also, when shall we begin our mutual training?"

Adam: "Well, I say we alternate mine. I have the mines with Thadroin and the dwarves in the morning, I teach you how to make axes every second afternoon, and every evening, at dusk, we get to the training till you say we're done. Night time is a good time to do it. The others will be wanting to rest, and we won't be disturbed."

Kovar: "Good. I'll look forward to it. Also, I hope you'll be willing to teach me to make more than just axes. In the long-run I imagine we might forge whole new types of weapons never before seen."

Adam: "I know I know... I just.. feel better with them, that's all. I might try... I dunno... putting them at the end of a stick with a blade or something."

Kovar: "Well, although we'll start with axes, you'll be trained to master all weapons."

Adam: "That will take years... but I am prepared. We have a lot of work cut out for us."

Kovar: "Indeed. Let's get to it."

Returning to the surface, Kovar saught out this Barbara, to see if she was a good fit for Jussep.

Scoping out a potential wife for Jussep, so Kovar can keep his word and then get onto reshaping the remaining above-grounders.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir (Eleysian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir sat proudly in his cave, as his subordinates gathered around him. Everyone had worked had the past few days, and the fruits of everyone's labors were evident. New followers, new equipment and a spacious area to do work, it was enough to make one's hear swell at the thought.

Now a new opportunity had arisen, the Clans had arrived. Weak, and bitterly divided, Mazir sneered at the petty differences that had divided such groups. Indigo, Dates, Oil, etc, these peoples had long been divided by their resources and bore only their name, but now....now he had the chance he had been seeking.

Clearing his throat, Mazir stepped forward and addressed his followers:

My brothers and sisters! he began I am quite pleased. We have built up so much in such a little amount of time. Our power grows each day and soon I will have gained enough power to ascend, by which then I can grant the requests many of you have sought! Now a golden opportunity has arisen for us to multiply our power. The clans have arrived, disparate as they are. While they might make a convenient source of power, that would be a short run amount of thinking. No if we are to truly gain power, we must sway them to our ways. If we can accomplish this task, then we can spread our influence across the Sands, as the wanders spread our message and conversion to others in the settlements they visit.

My loyal followers, I require your aid. We must bring the leaders of these peoples to this spot, and illuminate them in the ways. Once they see my power, and know of my promises for rewards, they will flock to our cause. I need many of you to start ingratiating your selves among the leaders of these groups and gain a measure of trust. Once that has been done, bring them here. Meanwhile, I need some of you others to bring me people to consume so that I might demonstrate my power. In everyone of these groups there is always one or two undesirables that burden the group, find these people and bring them here, so that I may consume them for demonstration.

The time of ascension is almost at hand! Soon we will spread through the Sands and take our rightful place as rulers of the land!

Having my followers gather the leaders of the clans and bring them to the cave to convert them to our beliefs. In addition my followers are capturing the camp undesirables the clans bring so that I may demonstrate my power as I need to.

[+2 Charisma] Using my charismatic abilities to help convert leaders as they come to my cave.

[+4 Intelligence] Using my intelligence to help pick out the camp undesirables as to not rustle any feathers among the clans by abducting someone important.

[+4 Magic] Using my magic to create the illusion that allow people to see the absorption process.

Divine: [+2 Soul Magic] Absorbing souls as I need to to convert these leaders to my cause.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"Of course! In the old days the gods were running around changing everything in sight into something else. Turning statues into people or people into statues. Why, Arthus Om'hom must have had a over a dozen stories of people turning into stars, one way or another. They'd even change themselves into animals, so they could hunt people, or turn people into animals and trick their friends into hunting them. It's been a long time since anything like that happened though. Well... maybe not. There is one strange story. I heard this tale when I was very young:

In Kiris there was a handsome prince, and he was the fastest horseman in the whole of Eosia;
He could outride anyone, and he would at the slightest opportunity.
Now, he wasn't a bad man, but he didn't care a fig about anyone else,
He seemed driven to prove himself, and his opponents were often injured
trying to keep up with his daredevil shortcuts or tumbled from their
saddles while jostling for position around the turns.
Then one day, the gods turned him into a woman and he couldn't race anymore.
Some said it was to teach him humility,
others said it was a punishment for injuring so many others.
A few said it was to teach him compassion.
A very few said it was a reward by Nike, the goddess of victory,
for pursuing her so devoutly, but no-one could be certain,
for the ways of gods are mysterious to mere mortals.

Now, this story is slightly different from all the others. Most stories about the gods happen in places that don't exist anymore, or never did - at least no one I've ever met knows where they might be found now. But this story, well, everyone knows where Kiris and Eosia are. A few years ago I traveled to Kiris to investigate and after several days of investigation, I finally met a lovely woman by the name of Ash. Ash, you see, had been the name of the prince in several versions of the story, so I thought perhaps she might know something. Ash told me that she was the prince, and that everyone was wrong, she'd been changed by something called a 'Misfile,' whatever that is. She was flattered that I remembered she had once been a man, all of her neighbors didn't remember anything about that man, even though he'd lived amongst them for years, and told me all about her life. She seemed happy and well satisfied. So, I know for a fact, that not only is the story true, but that it had a happy ending."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

Once he had introduced Jussep to Barbara, he left them alone to get acquainted and see if it was in truth a good fit. While the two were getting to know each other, Kovar turned his mind to the town. Ever since he had gotten back he had noticed it, the air of listlessness and despair that hung over the place. Perhaps it was time to give them a way out, a new path since the old status quo was already dead.

With this in mind, Kovar headed back to the center of town. He found some people already there, unsure of what to do they had gathered to find solace in those left unchanged. Arriving at the edge of the small crowd the general spoke out. “I know this is a difficult time, all change is. The way things were is gone, and it’s never coming back, that leaves you and the town two options. You can wallow in despair, living in the past, in which case the town will drift apart. Already I’m sure some of you have realized that with the miners spending more and more time underground you’ll have trouble sustaining your livelihoods. Which means eventually you’ll have to move on to another mountain town if you can find one to sustain you or down to live in the slums of Taelos or serfdom in Val Aman.”

Slowly the crowd grows as rumor of the general spread throughout the disheartened town, “I want to offer you another option, don’t live in the past, don’t wait to be forced elsewhere. Sellos is a town that needs a new path, the dwarves will mine and mine and sustain themselves through trade, but there is a flaw in this. Eventually they will draw the greedy eye of a noble or a bandit lord, who will simply take what he wants. What the dwarf’s need is protection, and that is what a new future for you can be. However, it can be more than just that. With the funds and talent of the dwarfs combined with a well trained and competent army this place could be the seed of something so much more.” The general doesn’t notice when Algard, tired of waiting for Jussep and attracted by the commotion works his way into the crowd.

Kovar’s voice soars above the crowd as he lays out his dreams before them, pouring all his experience and charisma into making them as vivid for the townsfolk as they are to him. “Imagine a kingdom where nobles rise from merit and not blood, where the people are not subjected to the slavery of Taeless or the serfdom of Val Aman, where all have the chance to rise and not just the wealthy or the spawn of those with blue blood. I have seen the pettiness of the blood-nobility, I have seen them destroy the futures of men for slights real and imagined. I have seen them draw defeat from the jaws of victory paid for with the blood of patriots for their own end. I want to build a place where none need suffer such indignities, where no man or woman can rise to a position they do not deserve due to the accident of their birth, and I want your help to do it.”

“Some may doubt that such a dream is possible, but just as Adam has been changed so have I. Where he has shrunk and knows the earth as though it was his own flesh, I can read the flow of history, the flow of the world. You think this is but a simple mining town, but I tell you it is the crossroads of history. From this place a great and mighty kingdom can be born, a just place that will be the envy of the world, but only if you are willing to commit yourselves to it. The world is changing, and just as Adam has provided a new form and a new future for the miners, I want to provide a new future for you!”

Reaching this crescendo of emotion, Kovar stops, allows a pause to build. Then he continues, his voice more matter-of-fact, he has laid out the vision and the goal to the people and now he tells them the means to reach it. “Tomorrow, at the rock outcropping south of the town I will be training anyone willing to learn in the arts of combat. If you wish to embrace the future I laid out, be there bright and early and ready to work hard. If you want to wallow in the past that will never return then I wish you luck with wherever you eventually end up, because you’ll need it.”

Without waiting for a reply, Kovar heads back to meet Jussep. He would be out at the rock formation by sunrise as he promised, now it only remained to be seen whether anyone else would show up.

Trying to convince the remaining townies to embrace Kovar’s vision and come be trained to be soldiers. Kovar will be waiting just outside of town at a sufficiently large flat area for his purposes the next morning.

Powerful Charisma[+4] - To lay out his vision for the town and to move them with his speech.

Experienced General[+4] - There’s a trick to speaking to crowds, a pattern you need to follow, a pattern Kovar knows because giving speeches to convince troops to fight, or people to sign up to become troops is how a general spends pretty much all the time he’s not fighting or planning.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Grasping the cup a little too hard and nearly spilling it in my surprise, I set it on the counter and stare at Civar trying not to look too weirded out about all of this.

(Ok. Be cool Ilvis, you can do this. Don't scare him off, sounds like he knows what's going on here and don't scare him off.)

"Wait so, how did he get better? What happens at the end of the story? Does the Goddess Nike do that? Does she have a uh, temple someplace? Or this... Misfile?"

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 8, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"Well, the people of Kiris do worship Nike, so there are a lot of temples to here there. As far as I know, Ash is still a woman. The point is, she's happy in her new gender. You're taking this story awefully personal, Eisner. Is there something bothering you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Who me?! Oh no no no, I'm just kind of curious because my interest in prophecies and curses because of my personal involvement with them in the past. I told you about that right? The magic mist and the old woman, and the squirrels? So I've got some familiarity with being transformed into things which I'm normally not. And I was just wondering if there were any long term or negative effects is all. In fact-"

Thinking quickly I take another long drink to buy myself the time to think of something to say, then it hits me, a clever plan. A brilliant plan.

"I've got a friend. And my friend has undergone their fair share of magical transformations too see, and my friend is a little concerned that maybe all the transformations and prophecies can get a bit tangled up and there might be some... unintended consequences? For my friend."

Yeah that makes sense :smug: Smooth move, Ilvis. Smooth move.

• Locked thread