Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The server's back up. I'm in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Servers are up and working nicely

E:F,B

E2: Rubberbanding is back!

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 2, 2013

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Well at least the connection times seem to be fixed. I connected in seconds as opposed to 10+ minutes. Too bad the other issues are still hanging around. They probably should have waited on a steam release, this is not a good first impression.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Yeah, this game has some potential to be a very fun dungeon delving mmo, but right now any good it has is being washed out by the awful lag. To be going so bad that they removed it from the steam store is a terrible sign. The last game for that to happen for was WarZ, and that was one bad hit to PR that I'm not sure they've recovered from. They're going to have to appease current players after such a rocky start, and deal with the fact that they've instantly turned off a large portion of their possible steam player base.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV
True, I should have been more obvious in stating that I don't think this game screwed up it's Steam release as bad as WarZ, but it's still not good for the game's image on Steam. I've also played mmos that have had just as bad, if not worse, releases. They can recover, and I hope they do. It's just they're not doing themselves any favors with repeated failures to deal with the rubberbanding problem.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 2, 2013

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
The difference with The WarZ is that a bunch of the "features" in the description were just outright lies, the game was still in beta or something and wasn't actually supposed to be put up on Steam yet, and the game is terrible for a lot of other reasons.

I'm not sure why Wizardry was delisted from Steam, maybe it wasn't meant to go up yet, or maybe the influx of players seeing a new F2P MMO on Steam brought in unforeseen stress on the server and they needed to take it off the list to slow things down while they work on a fix, or something like that.

This is an MMO launch, it's frustrating, sure, but kind of expected. The only thing that makes it worse than other MMO launches is the fact that rubber banding didn't exist on day one, but something broke during maintenance and it's been near unplayable ever since, and the last maintenance didn't seem to help anything.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Crown Face posted:

I'm not sure why Wizardry was delisted from Steam, maybe it wasn't meant to go up yet, or maybe the influx of players seeing a new F2P MMO on Steam brought in unforeseen stress on the server and they needed to take it off the list to slow things down while they work on a fix, or something like that.

Maybe issues with the Steam Overlay were why? Whenever I got a message that someone on my friends list logged in or started a game, the Wizardry Online froze up until the message went away. If it had happened during a fight, it might have gotten me killed.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
something is funky with that update. I've had 2 CTDs while turning in quests and now I'm not able to reconnect to the game at all.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
They probably took the server down again. Also, in as Eleison on NA.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
In game lag is playable so far this morning but area loading times are crazy long. I'll take it over massive rubberbanding.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In game lag is playable so far this morning but area loading times are crazy long. I'll take it over massive rubberbanding.

I am literally playing another game waiting for this stupid dungeon to load, 9 minutes and counting...

e: ...18 minutes...
e2: ...and gently caress it I give up at 30 minutes.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 2, 2013

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

The Golden Dragon Ruins are such an rear end in a top hat dungeon. There are traps everywhere and the dungeon gimmick is incredibly annoying.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Dont try and disarm the chest in there unless youre a thief, they start being trapped with figby's fist spells, save or die instantly.

Can you guess how i know that? :suicide:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just got disconnected and dropped to the login screen. Back to stuck in "connect" hell. Ahh well, was a fun few hours this morning.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
To be fair to all of us, I suppose the big gleaming SOE logo should have tipped us off we're going to have a bit of trouble. :sigh:

I really do want to play though, I miss my dwarf thief.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Downloading and giving a shot. Sounds like Dark Souls meets MMORPG.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Looks like the rubberbanding issues are dealt with for now, but there's some rather lengthy load times.

Omega Ozone
Oct 15, 2012
I just logged into the EU server after reading that they don’t have the loading time issues and it appears that it’s true. You should consider it if you don’t mind having a slightly higher ping or rerolling a character.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Is your soul shared across the servers or do you have to start again at soul rank 1 when you switch?

Omega Ozone
Oct 15, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

Is your soul shared across the servers or do you have to start again at soul rank 1 when you switch?

You start over at soul rank 1 unfortunately. It's pretty much a separate account (You have to input a new password as well).

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
How is the pvp aspect in this game? I don't mind the permadeath so much, given that the soul system kind of prevents losing all progress (at least from what little I have seen). But I have never been too keen on open world pvp either, as I am not one who enjoys getting yanked over and over.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I'm not getting any bad loading times or rubberbanding on the US server now.

Can anyone tell me where to get a spear and where I can find the replacement bolts in the sewer?

EDIT: Just got one of the long loading screens. It's because I clicked a "slightly crowded" channel.

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 2, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lenaway posted:

Can anyone tell me where to get a spear and where I can find the replacement bolts in the sewer?
Under the bridge before that room with the kobolds, you can go deeper into the sewer, the bolts are down there. That's also where you'll find the frogs for that Clean Up the Sewers quest.

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

How is the pvp aspect in this game? I don't mind the permadeath so much, given that the soul system kind of prevents losing all progress (at least from what little I have seen). But I have never been too keen on open world pvp either, as I am not one who enjoys getting yanked over and over.
I'm only SR2 but I haven't seen any PvP or even anyone flagged as criminals yet. I guess all the penalty stuff is scaring people off.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
As long as its rare I am happy with that. I will give the game a shot.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I can't believe how much easier the game has gotten as a mage without the rubber banding.

Fighters are still ridiculously powerful, survivable, and seem objectively better than every other class, but I'm enjoying myself a lot more as a mage now that I actually have the ability to dodge and cast spells without worrying about reappearing in the center of a dozen enemies.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

homeless snail posted:

Under the bridge before that room with the kobolds, you can go deeper into the sewer, the bolts are down there. That's also where you'll find the frogs for that Clean Up the Sewers quest.

I'm only SR2 but I haven't seen any PvP or even anyone flagged as criminals yet. I guess all the penalty stuff is scaring people off.

I have a friend that's flagged red and killed quite a few people (all of which were just AFKing in dungeons or places in towns without guards).

That being said it takes forever to actually loot dead bodies and dying isn't that big of a deal as long as a reaper doesn't destroy your % chance to rez, so as long as you don't afk in an unsafe place you'll be generally safe.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Lost my first character a bit before the servers went down, was bumbling around the dragon ruins on my thief trying to unlock a chest trapped with figby's fist. I failed of course and went to revive at 95% successrate but i got ashed. Tried again at 95% because hey, its only 5% right?.

Rest in peace Bob Hardmeat, you were too beautiful for this world. :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would a mage or thief be more useful to a party later on, do you think? If I'm going to group up I want to do more than just throw fireballs. :colbert:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
From what i've gathered thieves are very good if youre hunting for items, lots of skills to increase droprate, increase disarming chances as well as some aggro transfer tools.

No idea about mages, havent played one yet.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Did the Goon Union get formed yet?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I should have it formed in the next few hours or so. I was about to finish up the Golden Dragon Ruins when the server went down, but when it comes back up, I should be able to get up to SR3 and form it.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Would a mage or thief be more useful to a party later on, do you think? If I'm going to group up I want to do more than just throw fireballs. :colbert:

People keep saying that mages have insane DPS later on, and the supportive skill tree has some nice looking debuffs, though I'm not sure how useful they'll be since there's not much information on the game in English yet.

It seems like they exist as the pure DPS class though, I'd imagine that end-game mages do some pretty crazy damage and little else, but I've seen videos of fighters soloing huge bosses just as fast as a mage so I really have no idea.

Play whatever you think is more fun I guess, I've seen a ton of fighters and thieves but very few priests and mages, I couldn't see a party having trouble recruiting a thief, but mages will be harder to come by, provided they're actually useful.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

A guy from SOE just noted that they ran into a hardware issue and that the servers will be down for a little while longer.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
is there a Goonion yet?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yes! I just made it, so hop on channel 8 and meet me in the middle of town to join.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey, go kill twenty enemies.

They spawn in one place.

No you can't share kill credit with other players, don't be stupid.

:downs:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Oooohhh yeeeaaaah...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm having a good time playing this with PureRok and a few other random goons. We need a full party (for fun - the dungeons so far have been 2-mannable)

The Deltis Keep is a huge step up in terms of complexity from the previous 2(3?) dungeons. There is so much to explore and a quest chain to work through it.

Has anyone activated a Dimento medal in game? I tried a 7-day one and I do not have access to the bonus bag slots, cloak room slots, or auction slots.

I saw a player mention that the shining rocks that mobs drop can be used to craft keys for the chests in dungeons. Can someone shed more light on this?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Does the game actually explain what Life Materials are? (Needed for the Royal Shop)

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Does the game actually explain what Life Materials are? (Needed for the Royal Shop)

They are basically bonus points you get for using SC in the cash shop. No other way to get em afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Man, mage's effectiveness drops like a rock very quickly after Deltis keep. It's absolutely awful. A jump from 60 to 106 magic attack only ups my spell damage by about 20-50. Meanwhile something like 10-20 extra regular attack on the other classes will up their damage by double. I knew a lull was coming, but upping my stats having nearly no effect on improving my damage seems pretty harsh.

• Locked thread