Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Looking at the diffs, it seems like they constructed numbers, booleans and regexps from user input, which could be used to attacker's advantage.

It's probably related to MySQL type conversions, it's often pretty lax about these things.

Smol fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Smol posted:

Looking at the diffs, it seems like they constructed numbers, booleans and regexps from user input, which could be used to attacker's advantage.

It's probably related to MySQL type conversions, it's often pretty lax about these things.

I knew mysql was pretty lax about silent conversions and such, but it took this article to realize just how bad it was over there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
gently caress. At least I organized all of my apps by version number after the last securi-gate. I am in support hell.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Pardot posted:

I knew mysql was pretty lax about silent conversions and such, but it took this article to realize just how bad it was over there.

Yeah, that article is the reason why I brought up MySQL. But it seems like other databases are vulnerable as well.

quote:

No. SQL Server, Oracle, IBM and other NoSQL databases. Everything that runs on Rails that is not SQLite3 or PostgreSQL requires an upgrade.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5129771

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

More Rails vulnerabilities out, this time 2.3 and 3.0 are vulnerable. Looks very similar to the previous YAML vulnerability.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-security/1h2DR63ViGo

E: There is a proof-of-concept exploit in the wild, so upgrade ASAP. It's only a matter of time before it hits metasploit et al. and you'll have people automatically searching for vulnerable apps.

Smol fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 29, 2013

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Smol posted:

More Rails vulnerabilities out, this time 2.3 and 3.0 are vulnerable. Looks very similar to the previous YAML vulnerability.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-security/1h2DR63ViGo

E: There is a proof-of-concept exploit in the wild, so upgrade ASAP. It's only a matter of time before it hits metasploit et al. and you'll have people automatically searching for vulnerable apps.

Managed to get emails sent out same-day this time. Practice makes perfect I suppose.

MrDoDo posted:

Anyone here gonna be at Heroku's Waza next month?

I'll be there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/commit/c42d4a661773550909484dba64104b72a128c294

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Here's a less bloated single script POC: https://gist.github.com/4660248

And a writeup: http://ronin-ruby.github.com/blog/2013/01/28/new-rails-poc.html

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UxP posted:

Here's a less bloated single script POC: https://gist.github.com/4660248

Cracking up at the filename on that one

code:
 # ## Example
#
#   $ rails_omakase.rb [url]http://localhost:3000/secrets[/url] "puts 'lol'"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Can someone explain or point me towards an overview of the threading model in rails? I'm curious in particular about the performance implications of server side network requests or file reads, etc.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Can someone explain or point me towards an overview of the threading model in rails? I'm curious in particular about the performance implications of server side network requests or file reads, etc.

Short answer: don't do it, unless you're on JRuby. And even then, it depends. What version of Rails are you running?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Smol posted:

Short answer: don't do it, unless you're on JRuby. And even then, it depends. What version of Rails are you running?

How would one handle an image proxy, say, in a rails app if server side requests are not a good idea?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Security is omakase.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

b0lt posted:

Security is omakase.

You mean this "gem" that got posted to Rubygems.org today?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
It wasn't posted, it was pushed up with the psych vulnerability (that should have been patched).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lexicon posted:

How would one handle an image proxy, say, in a rails app if server side requests are not a good idea?

Do it in a separate app, running on rainbows.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

b0lt posted:

Security is omakase.

What do you mean it wasn't a good idea to write a JSON parser with essentially YAML.load(json.gsub(/awesome_regex/, "awesome_replacement"))?

Lexicon posted:

It depends. I would most likely write it with something else entirely. But if that's not the case and if you're using a streaming-capable server, you could assign something like this to response_body, or perhaps bypass the rails stack entirely and do it in a Rack middleware.

Ruby code:
class ImageProxy
  def initialize(hostname, port, path)
    @hostname, @port, @path = hostname, port, path
  end

def each
    begin
      connection = Net::HTTP.start(@hostname, @port)

connection.request_get(@path) do |response|
        response.read_body { |chunk| yield chunk }
      end

rescue All, Billion, Exceptions, That, Net, Http, Can, Raise
      raise Omakase
    ensure
      connection.close
    end
  end
end

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I'm currently working on a webapp as a sideproject that I might want to launch, and I need some advice on hosting. As a poor student, I can't afford a huge monthly hosting bill to begin, as I have no idea if this idea will take off. So ideally I'm looking for hosting that can start real cheap but scale up if need by. Project is using postgresql.

I was looking at EC2 since I'm using S3 for the storage duties, but even the small instance, with EBS to store data on would cost upwards of $50 a month, without the upfront fee for a reserved instance.

I was also looking at heroku as it seems to be well loved, have a great postgres system, and the 1 free dyno seemed nice. However their smallest real database plan is $50 a month. I know they don't recommend it, but is the $9 a month plan suitable for small scale production use?

Is there any hosting like what I'm looking for?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mmm11105 posted:

I was also looking at heroku as it seems to be well loved, have a great postgres system, and the 1 free dyno seemed nice. However their smallest real database plan is $50 a month. I know they don't recommend it, but is the $9 a month plan suitable for small scale production use?

The free plan at Heroku will be good enough until it isn't, at which point your app should make enough money to pay for a bigger plan. Just Use Heroku.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
I have a set of pages that calls a few expensive database queries while being generated. This page is relatively high traffic, and also fairly static. "Page cache" seems to be what I want to use, but I can't figure out how to set it to expire after a certain amount of time. Apparently you have to manually expire things in cache. Is there a way to set the page cache to expire after 5 minutes? Am I going to have to individually cache each database call and/or set up a cron job to expire all of my caches?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

A cached page will be served directly by the web server (it will just save the results of the action in public/foo/bar/baz.html) so it's not really possible to expire it from rails. Take a look at caches_action or expire it with that cronjob.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

how!! posted:

I have a set of pages that calls a few expensive database queries while being generated. This page is relatively high traffic, and also fairly static. "Page cache" seems to be what I want to use, but I can't figure out how to set it to expire after a certain amount of time. Apparently you have to manually expire things in cache. Is there a way to set the page cache to expire after 5 minutes? Am I going to have to individually cache each database call and/or set up a cron job to expire all of my caches?

You can cache the rendered page using action caching, which still gives Rails the chance to check to see if the cache is expired before serving it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm trying to get chunked/resumed uploads working with the jquery uploader (https://github.com/blueimp/jQuery-File-Upload). I seem to remember reading somewhere that rails isn't really optimal for dealing with bitrange html headers (or something) and that I should use Apache for the file serving aspect. Is this true?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This guy paints a particularly dire picture of the Rails security situation right now:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2013/01/31/what-the-rails-security-issue-means-for-your-startup/

How much of this is bluster and how much should be taken seriously? Is Rails really that much worse than other environments, e.g. PHP?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Lexicon posted:

This guy paints a particularly dire picture of the Rails security situation right now:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2013/01/31/what-the-rails-security-issue-means-for-your-startup/

How much of this is bluster and how much should be taken seriously? Is Rails really that much worse than other environments, e.g. PHP?

It seems like the use of YAML is much more pervasive in Rails than expected. I knew about the security problems of YAML.load beforehand, but like many others, I assumed that its use in Rails was limited to loading configuration files. It's possible that more vulnerabilities like that will follow, but in the meanwhile, you can (hopefully) plug similar holes yourself by using this gem.

As for the greater security situation, it's good to remember one thing: security is a process. There will be security vulnerabilities in all frameworks (unless they're written by djb) but the one of the main things you should look for is how quickly these vulnerabilities get fixed and how much of your time will applying the fixes take. This is an area where Rails has shined. Each one of these vulnerabilities has been fixed at the same time as they have been announced and Rubygems/Bundler makes upgrading Rails applications almost too easy. That said, Rails won't go down in history books as the Most Secure Web Framework Ever.

Every Rails developer should take vulnerabilities like this very seriously, and additionally subscribe to the rubyonrails-security list, so that they can upgrade their apps right away if and when vulnerabilities like this are published.

But you don't have to jump the ship just yet.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks; that's a very well-reasoned and rational point of view. I've only been involved in rails in earnest for about 4 months - I love it unreservedly, and want to use it for some future project ideas, but this recent security flap has given me some pause.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Also, remember how much Rails does by default to protect you. Do you know what an IP spoofing attack is? Or how to use cryptographic signatures in a way that does not expose you to timing attacks? What characters do you need to escape to prevent XSS vulnerabilities? Exactly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a way around adding a gem to your project and then having to run bundle install again? Just add the one new gem without using bundler?

I was at Starbucks earlier and was actually motivated but the wifi sucks and it was too slow or timing out and I kept getting errors like:
code:
Could not reach [url]https://rubygems.org/[/url]
code:
Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError: too many connection resets ([url]https://rubygems.org/gems/rdoc-3.12.gem[/url])
An error occurred while installing rdoc (3.12), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install rdoc -v '3.12'` succeeds before bundling.
Of course when I get home and have my cable connection it updates in 30 seconds. Just a pain in the butt because now I have to get pizza and watch the Super Bowl.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Smol posted:

Also, remember how much Rails does by default to protect you. Do you know what an IP spoofing attack is? Or how to use cryptographic signatures in a way that does not expose you to timing attacks? What characters do you need to escape to prevent XSS vulnerabilities? Exactly.

Very true.

Today I was wondering: is the dynamic nature of ruby something that necessarily poses risks within rails (or python and django) that wouldn't occur in a statically typed language? Java, for example, is truly horrendous to work with, but I imagine its a lot harder to actually inject malicious code. Am I off base here?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Lexicon posted:

Java, for example, is truly horrendous to work with, but I imagine its a lot harder to actually inject malicious code. Am I off base here?

Almost the same thing happend in java struts: http://struts.apache.org/2.3.4/docs/s2-001.html

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way around adding a gem to your project and then having to run bundle install again? Just add the one new gem without using bundler?

I was at Starbucks earlier and was actually motivated but the wifi sucks and it was too slow or timing out and I kept getting errors like:
code:
Could not reach [url]https://rubygems.org/[/url]
code:
Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError: too many connection resets ([url]https://rubygems.org/gems/rdoc-3.12.gem[/url])
An error occurred while installing rdoc (3.12), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install rdoc -v '3.12'` succeeds before bundling.
Of course when I get home and have my cable connection it updates in 30 seconds. Just a pain in the butt because now I have to get pizza and watch the Super Bowl.

If you already have the gem installed, you should be able to just require it somewhere early on in your app.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Another security question: I'm working on an app where users are asked to enter a zip code, and this is posted to a rails route, and eventually entered into the Submission.zipcode model attribute in the database.

It goes without saying that I'll be checking for valid zipcode-ness on the client side. What about on the server side, as someone could construct a malicious post if they were so inclined. I assume ActiveRecord has some degree of SQL injection protection, but what's the best practice here? It's easy to use model validation in the case of a zip code, but what about an arbitrary text field?

Phrased differently, what's an appropriate level of paranoia?

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Another security question: I'm working on an app where users are asked to enter a zip code, and this is posted to a rails route, and eventually entered into the Submission.zipcode model attribute in the database.

It goes without saying that I'll be checking for valid zipcode-ness on the client side. What about on the server side, as someone could construct a malicious post if they were so inclined. I assume ActiveRecord has some degree of SQL injection protection, but what's the best practice here? It's easy to use model validation in the case of a zip code, but what about an arbitrary text field?

Phrased differently, what's an appropriate level of paranoia?

ActiveRecord will handle escaping the data for you along with validating that it is a string unless you do something stupid like Model.executes("INSERT INTO `table.... It's up to you to enforce further constraints on the data that it's actually a valid ZIP code.

Validating the format is easy in ActiveRecord with validations; using a combination of length and numericality gets you most of the way there. Actually verifying that it's a valid ZIP code requires an up to date list of ZIP codes.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

dexter posted:

ActiveRecord will handle escaping the data for you along with validating that it is a string unless you do something stupid like Model.executes("INSERT INTO `table.... It's up to you to enforce further constraints on the data that it's actually a valid ZIP code.

Validating the format is easy in ActiveRecord with validations; using a combination of length and numericality gets you most of the way there. Actually verifying that it's a valid ZIP code requires an up to date list of ZIP codes.

Thanks... That confirms everything I thought. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Lexicon posted:

It goes without saying that I'll be checking for valid zipcode-ness on the client side.

You've got it backwards. It goes without saying that you'll be checking the validity of the zipcode on the server-side. The function of client-side validations is only to enhance the user experience, they do not enhance security.

Also, you can add constraints to your routes. See e.g. this, this and this for more info.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

If you are using mysql, sql server, or db2 for your rails app, there is a new security announcement.

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
Stupid question I know, but how do I make sure my ruby/rails is up to date?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dakha posted:

Stupid question I know, but how do I make sure my ruby/rails is up to date?

Check the version in your Gemfile.lock. If it's out of date, modify your Gemfile version declaration and run bundle update.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Does anyone here use carmen and carmen-rails? I am having a terrible time getting the demo app working. It looks like I cannot derive the country code from an official name, or I'm not calling it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Update Rack if you're using it, more security fun: http://rack.github.com/