Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Obeast posted:

$6 for a lot of those games, especially Contra, is a pretty good deal. Most games I find at the stores that regularly have retro games are about $5-6 anyway (unless it's something popular like a Mario title, then you're likely to pay more just because it's Mario), so I consider that to be the average price for NES carts.

What is that Capcom cart on the bottom left?

Yo Noid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got my copies of SMB 1 & 3 famicom in the mail today and had been testing out the turbo twin famicom all night on them only to find player 1's buttons were spotty...

So then I switch the membranes from P2 to P1 and it only got worse

So then I poked around and it got even worse :gonk:

Turns out the turbo switch for the A & B buttons was the culprit, how the PCB works on the turbo twin famicom is basically the A/B goes CONTROLLER > NORMAL OR TURBO MODE > BUTTON and the legs on the turbo switches weren't able to make contact. I first swapped P2's turbo swtiches over after I had flat out removed them from P1 and found that A or B neither worked and then ended up bending the pins up so now both controllers work swimmingly :toot:

All that's left in fixing this console is the belt

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The first thing I would do with a Famicom Twin would be figuring out how to hook up NES controller inputs to the console so I don't have to deal with hard wired controllers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It actually wouldn't be very hard, famicoms have a db15 connector that provide d0-d4 along with clock and latch so you could potentially build an adapter for the db15 to a 4 player board to accept all nes devices

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

flyboi posted:

It actually wouldn't be very hard, famicoms have a db15 connector that provide d0-d4 along with clock and latch so you could potentially build an adapter for the db15 to a 4 player board to accept all nes devices

whelp sounds like I have a project when I have too much money on my hands.

In other news the Nyko light gun I got last page totally is the one that lights up. Awesome.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Framemeister update: It's in the US and in Customs now. Make it or break it time.

Probably won't hear anything until Monday though. :v:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

You pay out the rear end for it, but I have to say, EMS is the fastest international shipping you can get. I'll never order anything SAL again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

HKR posted:

You pay out the rear end for it, but I have to say, EMS is the fastest international shipping you can get. I'll never order anything SAL again.

I never get anything but EMS. I don't trust anything less.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone of you guys ever used japangamestock.com? Seems... ehh?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Anyone of you guys ever used japangamestock.com? Seems... ehh?

I've ordered from them. They're legit. Bought a good set of Famicom games from them. The buy 3 and get the 4th thing is a little confusing on how to pay, so pay attention if you plan to use it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Aww yeah, cause I just found Super Metroid on there for 9 dollars. Success.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Here's mine too! I ended up with JP Ninja Spirit, US Fantasy Zone, Saint Seiya, Gegege no Kitaro and Saint Seiya. :buddy: I'm pretty happy! I paid $70 for the lot.

I can only assume that you really hate your famicom if you're getting those games...

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Where do you guys live that you're finding these ridiculous deals in the wild? I live in the Seattle area, and every store that "specializes" in retro / import games is way too savvy. Places like Pink Gorilla (a retro / import-retro video game store chain in the Seattle area) isn't worth window shopping in unless you go in knowing what you're looking for, then you might find a deal among the less "hot-ticket" items. Best deal I ever found anywhere around here was a Genesis model 2 plus Sega CD with all chords in working order for $25 at a Goodwill. That's pretty good for a Sega CD+system, but not the steals you guys are finding. Then again, I'm pretty much exclusively trading with guys on specialty console message boards now, with an Ebay purchase once in a blue moon.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

:cripes:

The Blue Storm cab got sold about six hours ago. Seems the past few machines I've tried to grab have just not meant to be. So I've decided to start what I envisioned a few weeks ago, and start gathering the rest of the tools I've needed to build my own. I'm also considering starting to sell flat packs / complete machines as some extra :retrogames:. I've got a large metal company close by for coin door, monitor brackets and control panel repros, who say 'no job is too small' and I've got hardware stores all close by, and after that last one I'm determined to get it started. I've looked at the prices some machines are going for, and even the stupid ebay prices the 'Classic Arcade' tabletops are priced at, people are buying them all the time. So I'm determined to sell some stained pine repros of my LAI machine. If I get enough interest, I'll start selling them as a side business.

In the good news side of things, I won all my auctions and have a bunch of stuff headed my way in a few weeks:

DEVIL CHILDREN SHIN MEGAMI Game Boy Color CIB US $1.94 / AU $1.87
SD KNIGHT GUNDAM STORY 2 Famicom US $1.76 / AU $1.69
Famicom/NES HOUGAN'S ALLEY Brand New US $6.00 / AU $5.77
NAKAYAMA MIHO NO TOKIMEKI HIGH SCHOOL Brand New Famicom Disk System US $1.00 / AU $0.96
MADARA Famicom CIB US $2.25 / AU $2.16
MEGAMI TENSEI 2 Digital Famicom Cart Only US $1.95 / AU $1.88
Nintendo Super Famicom Console & Catrtidge Case US $19.00 / AU $18.27

:retrogames: US $33.90 / AU $29.04 :retrogames:

Just awaiting shipping, which is going to be slightly painful, but I'm still under my self imposed $100 limit. This sort of softens the blow of missing out on both the Fish Bowl LAI and the Blue Storm Candy. Sort of. :gbsmith: I'm seriously excited about getting the carry case. The reason?

Just look at that fucker. I have never even known these existed, let alone know I could find something like this so cheap! I came across it and just sort of did a :stare: face. The wife even laughed and suggested I use it as my work case. 'How cool would that be?!' :j:

E: Holy poo poo I just saw the prices of consoles on Japan Gamestock! :byodood: I think I just heard my wallet trying to sneak off my desk...

H1KE fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

H1KE posted:

MEGAMI TENSEI 2 Digital Famicom Cart Only US $1.95 / AU $1.88

poo poo, that's pretty good. I think I paid AU$15 for my cart only a couple years back.

Though I did get MT1 with box/manual for AU$7, so I feel pretty good about that.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

I just found a great thread discussing the pros and cons of all the different Nintendo 64 analog stick replacement options: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7360571/1/
I'll make a summary but I would recommend just reading the thread, it really isn't that long.

Short version:

The gamecube style stick skips steps, introduces a slight delay due to a slow microcontroller and has too high of a sensitivity. This leads to problems like not being able to perform the Spin Attack in Zelda, Smash Attacks in Smash Bros, and difficulty with fine aiming in Goldeneye.

The OEM style replacement stick is slightly taller, has a weaker spring (you can swap it with the original), and will wear down just as fast if not faster if you don't lubricate it.

There is a newer product that is in the style of the OEM sticks but uses pots like in modern joysticks. It apparently fixes the problems of the GC style one but it has a stiff spring, needs lubrication, and has a larger dead zone.

You are able to fix most of the problems with the GC style stick by programming a replacement microcontroller, but it is still more sensitive than an original. Luckily somebody has made an upgrade kit that seems to be the perfect solution to all of this. You can buy it here. It sounds like he is out of stock but I can't view the page until my account is verified. You may also be able to reach him by private message here, he goes by the name micro.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Minesweep posted:

The gamecube style stick skips steps, introduces a slight delay due to a slow microcontroller and has too high of a sensitivity. This leads to problems like not being able to perform the Spin Attack in Zelda, Smash Attacks in Smash Bros, and difficulty with fine aiming in Goldeneye.

:smithicide: Gee, it's not like those are all of the games I play regularly or anything. Just after people encouraged me to buy the replacement, too.

Please keep us updated if he gets more upgrade kits in stock, I'd love to try it.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I have 25 extra Universal Game Cases left if anyone still needs any.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Monitor Burn posted:

I have 25 extra Universal Game Cases left if anyone still needs any.

I might be interested, they have the plastic slipcovers right?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

univbee posted:

I might be interested, they have the plastic slipcovers right?

Yeah, they are the standard ones that take 7"x11.22" cover inserts

Sent you a PM

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 3, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah, they are the standard ones that take 7"x11.22" cover inserts

EDIT drat, you edited at the same time I posted.

PM me about these if you can, otherwise email me at my username at gmail dot com.

DOUBLE EDIT How many Canada goons do we have posting in this thread? I'm seriously tempted to get an order going for 100 or 200 cases if there are enough interested Canadian goons willing to be shipped an order of 25 or 50 cases from within Canada. I'm double-considering setting up a buy/trade retro gaming thing specifically for Canada since holy gently caress does shipping from the U.S. suck.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 3, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Is there a specific search term I need to be using? I thought of going that route when it was first brought up, but I've only been able to find it for 40 bucks on ebay, SFC or not. Or am I supposed to go through one of the import websites?

Just search Super Metroid sfc on ebay. I think the $10 bit is exaggerating, as I've never seen Super Metroid SFC below $20 on ebay.

This seems to be the cheapest right now, at $29 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Metroid-SNES-SFC-/330863849680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0905b0d0

It seems like prices for Super Metroid are on the rise as more people are realizing that the US and Japan copy are the exact same game with the same rom.

HKR posted:

Nope. UPS is even faster. I ordered from Solaris Japan, and I got mine the second day after it shipped. It was even more expensive, but not much more. EMS was something like $35 and UPS was $45. I figured, at almost $500 combined, what was another $10? But, because I didn't have Solaris create a modified invoice, I got a customs letter from UPS a few weeks after delivery requesting something like $14 in customs fees.

Oh well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

whelp sounds like I have a project when I have too much money on my hands.

In other news the Nyko light gun I got last page totally is the one that lights up. Awesome.

I'd work on getting the extension cable first, you need the Neo Geo extension cable to do anything out of that port as the famicom has a nonstandard longer db15 port

But the schematic is easy enough

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I went back to the flea market today and got a new CRT for $5. First thing I did was test my Dreamcast on it, with S-Video because I forgot it output in that.

You can't tell from the picture (oh look, my reflection is there too), but the video quality is great. One of these days I'll hunt a VGA box down.

Also I looked at the bonus stuff in Dynamite Cop and the comic they have is ridiculously awesome, except for the fact that it uses Comic Sans as the font. It used to be online but the place where it was seems to be gone :(

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2013

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

fatpat268 posted:

Just search Super Metroid sfc on ebay. I think the $10 bit is exaggerating, as I've never seen Super Metroid SFC below $20 on ebay.

This seems to be the cheapest right now, at $29 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Metroid-SNES-SFC-/330863849680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0905b0d0

It seems like prices for Super Metroid are on the rise as more people are realizing that the US and Japan copy are the exact same game with the same rom.

Super Metroid SFC really does go for about 10 bucks, I literally just purchased it at that price on Rakuten. I doubt you'll see it for $10 on ebay because it's a completely different marketplace. Even with shipping from Japan you should be able to get Super Metroid for less than 29 dollars. It could be significantly less if you bought other games at the same time to offset the shipping a bit.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Super Metroid SFC really does go for about 10 bucks, I literally just purchased it at that price on Rakuten. I doubt you'll see it for $10 on ebay because it's a completely different marketplace. Even with shipping from Japan you should be able to get Super Metroid for less than 29 dollars. It could be significantly less if you bought other games at the same time to offset the shipping a bit.

Rakuten! That was the name I was trying to remember. I already got it for 10 bucks off japangamestore anyway, but this'll be a good resource. Thanks.

Edit: maybe I was wrong?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Tumor Baby posted:

Where do you guys live that you're finding these ridiculous deals in the wild? I live in the Seattle area, and every store that "specializes" in retro / import games is way too savvy. Places like Pink Gorilla (a retro / import-retro video game store chain in the Seattle area) isn't worth window shopping in unless you go in knowing what you're looking for, then you might find a deal among the less "hot-ticket" items. Best deal I ever found anywhere around here was a Genesis model 2 plus Sega CD with all chords in working order for $25 at a Goodwill. That's pretty good for a Sega CD+system, but not the steals you guys are finding. Then again, I'm pretty much exclusively trading with guys on specialty console message boards now, with an Ebay purchase once in a blue moon.

I live in the Seattle area :ssh: The secret to video game hunting out here is you have to be willing to spend an entire day hitting every single store in the area that sells used stuff. Of the seven stores I hit yesterday, only three yielded anything worth while.

flyboi posted:

I'd work on getting the extension cable first, you need the Neo Geo extension cable to do anything out of that port as the famicom has a nonstandard longer db15 port

I have tons of DB15 stuff laying around since I made a Neo Geo MVS console a while ago, so this isn't a problem. That schematic looks easy enough.

Now I just need to buy a Twin Famicom :retrogames:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh gosh why am I looking at japangamestock. Their prices are so good. I already spent my spending money on Ni no Kuni I can't spend any more no no no

OH GOSH they have so many shooters someone help :gonk:

Also as to not make an entirely pointless post: what is your guys' line for selling old games that you'll never touch again? I have a few SNES games from when I was a kid that I'll never really play again and that apparently fetch a good price on Ebay. What are you guys' thoughts on this? It's nothing super rare and I can get these again on the Virtual Console if I ever do want the play them on actual hardware. I usually say that I'll never sell anything unless it's an extra, but the more I think about it the more the only reason I don't want to is just because I like seeing them on my shelf, but they're just sitting there not being used and enjoyed.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh gosh why am I looking at japangamestock. Their prices are so good. I already spent my spending money on Ni no Kuni I can't spend any more no no no

OH GOSH they have so many shooters someone help :gonk:

Also as to not make an entirely pointless post: what is your guys' line for selling old games that you'll never touch again? I have a few SNES games from when I was a kid that I'll never really play again and that apparently fetch a good price on Ebay. What are you guys' thoughts on this? It's nothing super rare and I can get these again on the Virtual Console if I ever do want the play them on actual hardware. I usually say that I'll never sell anything unless it's an extra, but the more I think about it the more the only reason I don't want to is just because I like seeing them on my shelf, but they're just sitting there not being used and enjoyed.

As someone who either had their collection stolen, traded in for new games or sold to finance a move, my rule now is only selling duplicates/games I know I can get very easily.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeether posted:

I went back to the flea market today and got a new CRT for $5. First thing I did was test my Dreamcast on it, with S-Video because I forgot it output in that.

You can't tell from the picture (oh look, my reflection is there too), but the video quality is great. One of these days I'll hunt a VGA box down.

Also I looked at the bonus stuff in Dynamite Cop and the comic they have is ridiculously awesome, except for the fact that it uses Comic Sans as the font. It used to be online but the place where it was seems to be gone :(

There's a dreamcast s-video cable? How did I not know this?

Though, probably I should just splurge on vga

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2013

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
edit:

Ambitious Spider posted:

Though, probably I should just splurge on vga

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just do it, it's definitely worth it.

Also as to not make an entirely pointless post: what is your guys' line for selling old games that you'll never touch again?

My collection is still paltry so I am somewhat biased in saying this, but don't buy anything you don't intend to play. It's just dumb from a collecting perspective to buy things because they are expensive or are going to get more expensive later on. Sure you'll maybe make a profit but that isn't collecting: it's just fleecing.

If there is no personal value for you in those games, just sell them. There's bound to be someone who'll enjoy them.

Buuuuuut then again I often go against my own rule mostly due to being a lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about finishing games he buys. :v: If I was in a similar situation, I would not sell those games. I like to have a library around me because one day I'm going have nothing to do and I get the itch to play Goonies or something and it'll be a mild inconvenience if I can't indulge my sudden want. But that's the point: that's my own process of creating personal value in collecting video games, slowly creating an archive of interesting games, be it due to graphics, music or even lovely gameplay.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ambitious Spider posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamcast-Retro-Bit-S-AV-Cable-Sega/dp/B001QVDSRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359915075&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamcast

Pretty darn cheap.

Of course I have that VGA box that's switchable between VGA out and S-Video out so that it doesn't need to be disconnected for the few vga-incompatible games. But I see that for some reason those are expensive again now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^Apparently that cable is defective by design, but for 44 cents there are worse gambles out there.

What is your guys' line for selling old games that you'll never touch again? I have a few SNES games from when I was a kid that I'll never really play again and that apparently fetch a good price on Ebay. What are you guys' thoughts on this? It's nothing super rare and I can get these again on the Virtual Console if I ever do want the play them on actual hardware. I usually say that I'll never sell anything unless it's an extra, but the more I think about it the more the only reason I don't want to is just because I like seeing them on my shelf, but they're just sitting there not being used and enjoyed.

Half the people in this thread are going to have a different answer to this. The other half's answer will be some variation of "give it to me".

I'm wrestling with this question myself more due to physical space considerations. I could see myself spending another few grand on various goodies and then having a breakdown and giving most of it away.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 3, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sat down last night and dicked around with the NES Advantage I got a while back. It barely worked. So I open it up and this is what the circuit board revealed:

So I guess that's my project for the day!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

^^Apparently that cable is defective by design, but for 44 cents there are worse gambles out there.

Really, what's wrong with it? I used that exact one for a while before I got my replacement vga box with s-vdeo switch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Really, what's wrong with it? I used that exact one for a while before I got my replacement vga box with s-vdeo switch.

The bulk of the Amazon reviews pointed out the S-Video feed was wired into the composite out pins. Maybe there was just a defective batch though.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

HKR posted:

Sat down last night and dicked around with the NES Advantage I got a while back. It barely worked. So I open it up and this is what the circuit board revealed:

So I guess that's my project for the day!

What's the best way to clean game / controller / circuit boards etc? I've noticed the SMS II has some gunk and furballs in it, both NES have dust fluff stuck to their boards and the GNG board in the cab has some dust and garbage on it I'd like to get rid of. I'm so scared of actually wiping anything on either of them though. I also need to de-yellow the SNES. It's almost completely piss yellow all over.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

The bulk of the Amazon reviews pointed out the S-Video feed was wired into the composite out pins. Maybe there was just a defective batch though.

I've only ever had RF Adapter, VGA Box or that S-Video cable for my Dreamcasts. If the cable was really only doing composite, it was still functioning when hooked up to the s-video port and looked better than RF so I guess I couldn't tell the difference. :v:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

flyboi posted:

I have this setup, just keep in mind that the original rectangular nes controllers don't work with this. Inputs are mixed and some just dont work (left hits button B etc). Dogbones and every 3rd party controller I have works fine. We were talking about it in IRC at some point and I guess its a known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

HKR posted:

The first thing I would do with a Famicom Twin would be figuring out how to hook up NES controller inputs to the console so I don't have to deal with hard wired controllers.

Imagine hardwiring some Epyx 500's though

• Locked thread