Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

echomadman posted:

10-15 seconds is a bit too long if you're out on the road with other traffic, 2-3 seconds is plenty

Feels like 15 seconds while riding. But you're right, it's probally at most 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A guy I used to ride with had some sort of flamethrower map on his GSXR. Every single time he would roll off the throttle it would barf out this huge flameball. Every time.

I know a guy who put an Akrapovic 4 into 1 on a Hayabusa, but didn't close off the PAIR valve, and the tuning adjustement makes it so that whenever he's in overrun, flames are popping out of the back of the can by his pillion's feet.

Looks pretty awesome at night, but I wouldn't want to be repacking the muffler that often.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Bought a low priced set of saddlebags off amazon, MotoGear something or other. I needed something that I could shove a few small items in. Putting it on was simple enough and it's surprisingly roomy inside. Rather, it has a good amount of depth but it's a little cramped width wise.

The best part, I can put my work shoes, lunch, hoodie and some phone bits in em. As such, today I finally took my bike to work for the first time! It wasn't raining amazingly enough. Had a big pack of middle school kids all waving as I rolled past. My co workers gave me expressions of awe and bewilderment, they didn't think I'd ride in with things being so wet. This Asian fellow rarely speaks to me but he pulled me aside and just could not stop gushing about it. I guess his dad had a Shadow like mine once and it brought back some memories.

Cannot wait for my ride home. I'm weird, I feel real comfortable night riding. Probably because there's so few people out around midnight. This is the best.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 1, 2013

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I like riding at night because I feel I can see hidden cars easier due to their headlights.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I like riding at night because it's riding.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
3AM in the middle of the week is the best time to ride, no fucker else on the road.

With regards to the killswitch-backfire trick, a word of warning; Make no-one is in the line of fire when you do it. My friend nearly put the end cap of his exhaust into his buddies' face a few months back. Ripped the rivets right out of the can.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's nice if you live in a place with no sharp turns and no deer or coyotes or dogs.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
For my safety and the safety of everything around me, I should not ride at night. I'm nearly blind at night (huge glares, etc.). I will be looking into Lasik this year because this poo poo is whack.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's nice if you live in a place with no sharp turns and no deer or coyotes or dogs.

Or a kangaroo. Nearly 100kg, 2 metres tall(long) and often travel at 50km/h through forest, popping out of a tree line on the road edge straight across the path of a vehicle.

A housemate got collected by one a few years back. He was lucky to be thrown clear, but the bike didn't look like a bike as such afterwards. They can be a problem during the day too.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

snail posted:

Or a kangaroo. Nearly 100kg, 2 metres tall(long) and often travel at 50km/h through forest, popping out of a tree line on the road edge straight across the path of a vehicle.

A housemate got collected by one a few years back. He was lucky to be thrown clear, but the bike didn't look like a bike as such afterwards. They can be a problem during the day too.

loving Australia. Their bites are venomous as well, I'm sure.

It could be worse though, he could have hit one of the spiders.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
My bloody bike broke down and I had to wait in the pissing rain in a poo poo bit of Glasgow (goddamnedtwisto wind your neck in). Turns out the battery cable is just poo poo, but the breakdown guy clipped it back together. No big deal, if it hadn't been at a charity gig and a shitload of folk I knew were there. (Although watching the 19 year-old wasted wanker poo poo himself when I chased him off the bike earlier was quite funny. And I do mean poo poo himself. He managed to get the second half in a bin, at least.)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Any recommended brushes for cleaning a chain other than the grunge brush? $20 seems a little steep to me for the convenience of having three sides.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A regular steel bristle brush (or copper if you can find it) would be fine for the outside plates. Don't use that on the rollers obviously.

Cyclegear usually closes those 3 sided brushes out for 5 bucks or something all the time. You could try that or go to HF and see what they have for brushes. I honestly just use a rag and kerosene or something on the outside plates to get off grime and then just use lube in the center. Always worked fine for me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Any recommended brushes for cleaning a chain other than the grunge brush? $20 seems a little steep to me for the convenience of having three sides.

Buy a cheap battery electric toothbrush, hold it on one side of the chain, spin the back wheel, repeat on the other 3 sides.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I use a cheap dish brush, one with stiff nylon bristles. Works pretty well with kerosene.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

hayden. posted:

I use cotton rags, bought in bulk from the local auto store. Costs me about $2 for a huge bag of rags that lasts me months, and can be used for all sorts of things. Hand wipe the links, doesn't take any longer than a brush and I ended up with better results IMHO.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A very weird thought just crossed my mind. Has anyone seen a motorbike with the kickstand on the right side? Chains and mufflers seems to go on left or right depending on the brand and model of the bike, but I can't think of any bikes that doesn't have the kickstand on the left?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This may be total bullshit that I just made up in my head, but I imagine it's influenced by the fact that horses are traditionally mounted from the left. That itself I think was because sword scabbards were worn on the left by right-handed folks, and those would get in the way if you tried to mount from the right. Right?

So basically this:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I retire old toothbrushes to chain cleaning duty. They're a bit soft, getting some crud off takes extra elbow grease to compensate.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A very weird thought just crossed my mind. Has anyone seen a motorbike with the kickstand on the right side? Chains and mufflers seems to go on left or right depending on the brand and model of the bike, but I can't think of any bikes that doesn't have the kickstand on the left?

Time to photo whore out the GG300 again. Right side kick start, exhaust and kick stand.

Semi-common on goofy trials bikes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

JP Money posted:

A regular steel bristle brush (or copper if you can find it) would be fine for the outside plates. Don't use that on the rollers obviously.

Cyclegear usually closes those 3 sided brushes out for 5 bucks or something all the time. You could try that or go to HF and see what they have for brushes. I honestly just use a rag and kerosene or something on the outside plates to get off grime and then just use lube in the center. Always worked fine for me.

start with a nylon stiff bristle brush (you can get them at any hardware store) and finish with a toothbrush and some compressed air to get poo poo out from in-between the o-rings.

luckily I use standard chains so I don't really have to worry about o-rings.
soak in acetone, blowdry with compressed air. clean as a whistle.

you can use wd-40 or kerosene to clean o-ring chains, it just takes a little more work to get them spotless.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Time to photo whore out the GG300 again. Right side kick start, exhaust and kick stand.

Semi-common on goofy trials bikes.

I want a trials bike so bad. I've gotten to ride a couple of them and am completely hooked.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The first bike I ever rode was a trials bike because my friends are dicks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You left out "replace chain every 3 times you do this!". :D

I haven't clean a chain in years but they're all spotless. Stop using sticky poo poo to lube your chain and all of the sudden you don't need to clean them anymore.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

start with a nylon stiff bristle brush (you can get them at any hardware store) and finish with a toothbrush and some compressed air to get poo poo out from in-between the o-rings.

you can use wd-40 or kerosene to clean o-ring chains, it just takes a little more work to get them spotless.

This just sounds like a pile of bad advice. Poking, and proding the o-rings on a sealed chain is asking for the o-rings to disintegrate. Don't. Just don't. Brushes, even nylon, should never touch your o-rings.

Soaking the chain in acetone is going to wash out any lubricants, and likely not remove any of the contimants as well. I don't like that plan, even on plain chains. How the hell do you run plain chains?

WD-40 damages o-rings. That's not a good material to use to clean an o-ring chain. (while it takes some time for the damage to happen, it will eventually eat the urathane o-rings used on sealed chains) Kerosene is ok. I've found chain lube cleans the chain very well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using SAE-50 motor oil through the 2012 season, seems to work pretty well. Kroon makes a decently cheap SAE-50 oil (for old Harleys, I think) and it's got the perfect viscosity for one of those cheap little red lube cans. I lay down a bead on top of the chain, both sides, run the wheel by hand for a minute or so to work it in, then I wipe off the chain with an old rag.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So just clean with lube and a rag and also sacrifice a goat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I use roller chains. Easy peasy - flush with WD40 to get the gravel and pine needle puree out, spray/dab/pour on whatever lubricant's hanging around closest, wipe up excess, set slack. Replace $25 chain once a year.

Don't do this with an o-ring or x-ring chain.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm escaping to Las Vegas from the freezing wasteland that is Canada.

I have one day to rent and ride a motorcycle.

Guess which day.

:negative:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I don't understand that chart.

What does the C stand for?
Canadian? :canada:
Communists? :ussr:

What does the forecast say in AMERICAN? :911:

Seriously, gently caress converting temperatures from C to F, that leads to madness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Only one thing to do: layer-up!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Seriously, gently caress converting temperatures from C to F, that leads to madness.

Thirty is hot
Twenty is nice
Ten can be chilly
and Zero is ice
:colbert:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Tamir Lenk posted:

I don't understand that chart.

What does the C stand for?
Canadian? :canada:
Communists? :ussr:

What does the forecast say in AMERICAN? :911:

Double the number and add 30 if you're feeling like it's impossible / too inconvenient to do the math.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

JP Money posted:

Double the number and add 30 if you're feeling like it's impossible / too inconvenient to do the math.

Nah, gently caress that. Learn to think in approximates, and real world equivalencies.

Exempli frigging Gratia:

500 ml? How the gently caress much is 500 ml? Well, a bottle of wine is 750 ml, so you're looking at what's left after your mom has her first glass of the morning.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, gently caress that. Learn to think in approximates, and real world equivalencies.

Exempli frigging Gratia:

500 ml? How the gently caress much is 500 ml? Well, a bottle of wine is 750 ml, so you're looking at what's left after your mom has her first glass of the morning.

250 ml is when you get hit in the head with a slipper then.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's way too small a glass for any alcoholic mom. She'd be drinking a full 12oz or ~350mL :science:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

That's way too small a glass for any alcoholic mom. She'd be drinking a full 12oz or ~350mL :science:

Moms these days they love their pain pills almost as much as they love their liquid medicine.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

JP Money posted:

So Saturday's high is in the 50's but rainy? Not a total loss.

Actually converting from metric doesn't actually bother me, except for temperature.

Linear measurements work with 25mm = inch, 1.6km = mile, and 1m = around a yard.
Weights are ok with 2.2kg = lb
Volume never seems to need conversion for me, since I don't bake. Even then 1 liter = about a quart.

But having to multiply AND add? Hell no!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I can't imagine Las Vegas will be that bad at 50 degrees. That's also a pretty generic forecast, look up a more concrete one and see if it's really going to pour ( I can't image it'll be that bad).

Buy some cheap frog toggs and have some fun driving flat-out into the desert or whatever else people on motorcycles do in a desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

I can't imagine Las Vegas will be that bad at 50 degrees. That's also a pretty generic forecast, look up a more concrete one and see if it's really going to pour ( I can't image it'll be that bad).

Buy some cheap frog toggs and have some fun driving flat-out into the desert or whatever else people on motorcycles do in a desert.

50 isn't bad in Vegas, it's weird how the rain rolls in over the strip though. Also, don't try to do wheelies in LV, I don't know what the gently caress they do to the street but you'll just spin the rear tire.