Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Oh my god I just want to put on some gloves and clean everything up.

Oh god! It's even worse at full resolution!

And stop using a game as a coaster. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Big things happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3KypG_yFQ

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zenintrude posted:

That's when you know you've got a sincere and truthful retro game habit.

Or a sincere and truthful mental problem. :v:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Code Jockey posted:

Also zari-gani that's a fantastic edit

Not really. There is no way the corners of the box would be in such good condition. :3:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

fatpat268 posted:

Survival Kids - You get thrown on an island and you're forced to survive. I haven't played much of this, but it's well regarded, and from the bit I have played, it's fun as well.

There's a lot of junk in the GB/GBC library, and to be truthful, there aren't that many great games that still hold up today.
Can't believe I got beat on a Survival Kids recommendation. I played that game forever.

The James Bond 007 gameboy game is a pretty neat Zelda clone.

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Oh my god I just want to put on some gloves and clean everything up.

You can just smell the years of tobacco and tar built up in that room, like going to the smoking section of Denny's in the early 90's.

Also what the hell happened to Zombie Nation's prices??? I bought this game in 2005-06 for less than $20 at a used game store and now every listing on eBay is well over 100 bucks!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=zombie+nation&_sacat=1249&_from=R40

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tumor Baby posted:

Also what the hell happened to Zombie Nation's prices??? I bought this game in 2005-06 for less than $20 at a used game store and now every listing on eBay is well over 100 bucks!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=zombie+nation&_sacat=1249&_from=R40

Prices on retrogames are way up all over and Zombie Nation is one of the rarer NES games. Even the Famicom version is pretty rare.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

They do not sell SNES/Gamecube/N64 s-video cables there though.

Yeah, anyone looking to get an S-video cable for the SNES/N64/Gamecube should save time and get one of these, or search for them on Ebay:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-GCGL3...amecube+s-video

They tend to run about $30 or so used on Amazon when someone puts one up for sale, and it's a Monster Cable, but its the only decent quality S-video cable that is somewhat available today.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Or you can just get One of these because they work perfectly, are always in stock and are cheap.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone ever recap a turbo duo? I bought a cap kit but I guess all the caps are surface mount... Any tips for best way to remove them without tears and lifted traces?

Kinda funny, I raised an eyebrow at the $16 cost for the kit until I looked into it and there are like 30 caps... Well at least I have a new project!

I also bought twin bee and Darius 2 for testing the system so woop

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

HKR posted:

Or you can just get One of these because they work perfectly, are always in stock and are cheap.

The reviews for this cable were a bit mixed, which is why I decided to go for the monster cable instead. The racketboy cable is definitely the best cheap cable out there though, from what I've read. I'm sure most of them work fine.

This is the only monster cable I've ever purchased; its too bad Monoprice doesn't make cables for older consoles.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tumor Baby posted:

You can just smell the years of tobacco and tar built up in that room, like going to the smoking section of Denny's in the early 90's.

Yeah, I really want that game. But I don't want to spend that kind of money. I'd rather just buy an Everdrive when it's ready or the Powerpak. I've been looking at that title for the past two years and it's always more than I want to spend.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I apparently made a mistake on ebay. What I thought I was bidding on was a real cheap complete copy of Rebel Strike for 4 bucks. It turns out what I got was some NOT FOR RESALE Rebel Strike Demo Disc with the Atari game on it.

I dunno the price on Demo Discs, but I can't imagine them being worth all that much. I didn't even know the thing existed until today.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

Anyone ever recap a turbo duo? I bought a cap kit but I guess all the caps are surface mount... Any tips for best way to remove them without tears and lifted traces?

Kinda funny, I raised an eyebrow at the $16 cost for the kit until I looked into it and there are like 30 caps... Well at least I have a new project!

I also bought twin bee and Darius 2 for testing the system so woop

Console 5, who sell cap kits, has a wiki for it: http://console5.com/wiki/Converting_from_Surface_to_Leaded_Capacitors

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

That's actually where I got the cap kit but step step 3 confuses me.. Does the spacer just lift off or do I have to use wire snips or sacrifice a few earthbound carts?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

That's actually where I got the cap kit but step step 3 confuses me.. Does the spacer just lift off or do I have to use wire snips or sacrifice a few earthbound carts?

I'd say cut it.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again, you could try heating up the pads on the sides and lift up. The cap's leads are going to be the anchor point.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

flyboi posted:

The trick to removing caps like that is needle nose pliers. Twist the body until it comes off, don't try to heat and pull it unless you want damaged traces. The plastic spacer should break apart easily if you pinch it with the pliers. Heat the pads and remove the legs with the pliers. After that it's just like soldering anything else.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I should've bought a rx. Adventure ahoy!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

flyboi posted:

I should've bought a rx. Adventure ahoy!

If you feel that it's too much adventure for you I'll buy it off your hands.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I promise this is the last thrift store find post from me for now, but I stopped by this church-ran store in my town that seemed never have retro games before today that had a number of Genesis games and got this for $2.50.

It's not totally complete since (from what I've seen on eBay listings) it's supposed to come with some extras like a map, and the case and manual have some damage to them. But, the cart itself is in really great condition almost like it was barely played.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

If you feel that it's too much adventure for you I'll buy it off your hands.

Oh no I modded a ps2 with neo 4.1 and origa back when no swap ps2 was hard.. This is an exercise in comparison

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Obeast posted:

I promise this is the last thrift store find post from me for now, but I stopped by this church-ran store in my town that seemed never have retro games before today that had a number of Genesis games and got this for $2.50.

It's not totally complete since (from what I've seen on eBay listings) it's supposed to come with some extras like a map, and the case and manual have some damage to them. But, the cart itself is in really great condition almost like it was barely played.

Presuming you've never played Pirates before, here's a scan of the map; it's not just window dressing, the game is really designed with the assumption you have one on hand as a reference. Such a good game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Tumor Baby posted:

Well there's a disgusting childhood memory I didn't even realize I had.

Man, if anything those pics make me so happy I don't smoke. My goon lair does end up looking kinda like that when I'm working full time and have barely any time to play games that aren't on my phone, but at least it's just soda cans and papers that are easy to pick up and not cigarette ashes and dust everywhere :barf:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

ohnoitschris posted:

Man, if anything those pics make me so happy I don't smoke. My goon lair does end up looking kinda like that when I'm working full time and have barely any time to play games that aren't on my phone, but at least it's just soda cans and papers that are easy to pick up and not cigarette ashes and dust everywhere :barf:

I smoked for YEARS and that still disgusts me. I never understood people who smoked inside. All my games and consoles are still pretty! :D

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Caitlin posted:

Google Retr0bright before you go sanding poo poo down, dude.

Oh wow, here I was thinking it was an actual product [that I probably couldn't buy]. Thanks! I'll probably still get one painted anyway, as there is a guy doing them pro just 20 mins away and at good prices. :)

H1KE fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 5, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

h_double posted:

Presuming you've never played Pirates before, here's a scan of the map; it's not just window dressing, the game is really designed with the assumption you have one on hand as a reference. Such a good game.
Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the link! :) I've actually played a good bit of the awesome 2004 remake, but it's been a couple years since I last played it and I'm sure it's different enough from the Genesis version that I will need the map anyway.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Obeast posted:

Actually my favorite version of the game.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

Actually my favorite version of the game.

Presumably because it doesn't have the anti-piracy scheme of asking you to identify each ship's flag properly every time you encounter one right?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

H1KE posted:

Oh wow, here I was thinking it was an actual product [that I probably couldn't buy]. Thanks! I'll probably still get one painted anyway, as there is a guy doing them pro just 20 mins away and at good prices. :)

I just hope they don't end up looking like those glossy hot messes from a few pages back! But yeah, no problem, I just made it as a hydro + oxy bath instead of loving around with gelatin or xanthan gum or whatever, still worked fine.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Caitlin posted:

I just hope they don't end up looking like those glossy hot messes from a few pages back! But yeah, no problem, I just made it as a hydro + oxy bath instead of loving around with gelatin or xanthan gum or whatever, still worked fine.

He seems to run his website on a high powered toaster, but this gives you an idea of his workmanship. Not so much of that glossy garbage here. That goddamn bronze PSX and the matching teal/silver SNES / GC made me all :allears:. I'll be contacting him soon to see if he'll do me a deal on a matching set of consoles and controllers.

It's also good to know that a bath works just as well. I'd prefer not to use a gum style solution.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Here's a couple shots of my VGA mod in action, for those of you who might be on the fence:

Apparently the vertical ghosting you can see in Rez happens with the official VGA box too, so it's not just dodgy soldering.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

That's amazing. Speaking of Rez, how does the ps2 version compare to the dreamcast one?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
http://www.k1gba.com/gba-team-hardware-gba-blue-p-40.html

What is this that I just found.

VV too bad, seemed way too good to be true. in other news, does anyone here own a GBA flash cart with a RTC?

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 5, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A GBA on a chip clone that also happens to play ROMs.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/k1-gba-sp-first-hands-on-impressions.331400/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/k101-revo-hands-on-first-impressions.338308/

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

take_it_slow posted:

That's amazing. Speaking of Rez, how does the ps2 version compare to the dreamcast one?

Uhh apparently DC Rez renders at 30fps but PS2 Rez is 60fps... though the PS2 version uses some weird rendering scheme that looks blurry even with component cables. I don't have it to compare though. Also the Japanese PS2 limited edition came with the Trance Vibrator that everyone bought for teledildonics.

Also, that vertical ghosting is weird. In Rez it's only visible in certain effects, usually it's bright and clear. It's almost impossible to notice with the naked eye. You can see it in the cutscenes in Space Channel 5 and on some menus, but not all. I'm sure it's something weird with the Dreamcast's video encoder.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Silver Alicorn posted:

Also, that vertical ghosting is weird. In Rez it's only visible in certain effects, usually it's bright and clear. It's almost impossible to notice with the naked eye. You can see it in the cutscenes in Space Channel 5 and on some menus, but not all. I'm sure it's something weird with the Dreamcast's video encoder.

I just felt Hamburglar's eye twitch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Uhh apparently DC Rez renders at 30fps but PS2 Rez is 60fps

Well, the PS2 port will hit 60FPS.. mostly. It dips down quite a bit at times. The Dreamcast or XBLA port is the way to go, I think.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

Uhh apparently DC Rez renders at 30fps but PS2 Rez is 60fps... though the PS2 version uses some weird rendering scheme that looks blurry even with component cables. I don't have it to compare though. Also the Japanese PS2 limited edition came with the Trance Vibrator that everyone bought for teledildonics.

Rez HD on Xbox Live Arcade is definitely the preferred Rez delivery mechanism -- beautifully crisp visuals, I think there are some challenge modes (and leaderboards) that weren't in the original, plus teledildonics can be enabled on all 4 controllers.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Teledildonics is my new favorite word.

ohnoitschris posted:

Living in a smoker's home definitely wrecked some havoc on my old electronics. And the funny thing is that I never even noticed it until much later, given it was a slow, gradual buildup over years in a home with poor lighting. Then I saw a picture of the model of computer I had online, and realized it was not actually supposed to be a yellow-tan color. :gonk: I also thought it was to blame for how my SNES turned into neopolitan ice cream, but apparently that wasn't exactly an unusual thing to happen to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Yay my JAMMA converted Naomi sit down candy cabinet came yesterday, the colours are off until the button to degauss it comes and he also forgot to include the kick harness for 3rd Strike/my other CPS2 games, but i'm so glad it finally came and works and everything. Tonight i'll be sticking in some sticks and fixing the buttons and labelling the wires so it's easy to switch between MVS and CPS configs and bish bash bosh job done. I'll add some pictures later this week when the colours are sorted out.

• Locked thread