Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Autumncomet posted:

Is there anything that actually says there are 16 students in this class, like in DR1? I can't find anything that says each class has so-many students each time. I do like the Togami as hope theory though.

If I remember right, "Hope's Peak classes have 16 students each" was a hypothesis put forward based on how there ended up being 16 in DR1 by the end and how we're now starting with 16. I don't think there's any real textual substance to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

HangedManArcana posted:

Yeah, it's sort of like when someone yells at the screen in a horror movie "You idiot! Don't open the door!" Or stuff like that. It's part of the immersion of the game.
As an added bonus, that is really good logic to Kuzuryu's character. Nice going cornwind- I really like your analysis of why he'd never actually kill. I really don't think he'd be able to graduate for that reason. He doesn't have any minions to send to kill, and even if he did, the one who actually kills would be the one who graduates in that circumstance.

The analysis is based on nothing. We've had very little insight into his character except that A) he is willing to tell 15 people that he is willing to kill them, but B) is apparently intelligent enough to back down when faced with Togami's overwhelming body.

That's all we know.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
[Removed]

Valkama fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 4, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Valkama posted:

Here is a thought, If we assume that this is a Hope's peak academy class which has 16 students in it and we assume this Togami is DR1 Togami then this class is missing a student. This leaves room for someone to control Monobear from behind the scenes.

Please read the thread at least even less than half a page back.

I was addressing the exact same theory literally two posts above yours.

C'mon guys. Let's not make this hard on slowbeef.

edit: Just so this isn't a totally worthless post shouting at someone: one more issue with the "There should be 16 students, but if Togami isn't one of those 16 there's someone missing" idea is that the only indication that there should be 16 in-game is "Togami says so." What if this is supposed to be a 15-person class, and Togami just put an extra desk in the classroom at the beginning and told them it was a 16 person class? It still works.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 4, 2013

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I warned you about thread theories, bro.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
/\/\/\ Actually, if they're well-thought out and readable, I think they just add to the fun, but that's just me :shobon:

lotus circle posted:

I do like Falls Down Stairs idea about everyone being a mind wiped SHSL Despair. A reverse situation of the first game, where the mindwiper is actually a good guy trying to prevent the group from continuing their efforts. The skills they have under that assumption are pretty scary when you think about it from that point of view. Sonia is a princess who could have a lot of international influence, Kuzuryuu being the heir to a mob family can easily supply manpower and even the rational Mahiru could use her photographs to spread propaganda of their efforts. It's an interesting possibility to keep in mind.

You know, this is a very interesting theory, and it does raise an interesting question of role reversal regarding Monobear and the whole current despair game- what if Monomi's ultimate goal was to restore the bonds between SHSL Despair Inc., and Monobear is trying to get them to kill each other off as some kind of poetic revenge? I can definitely see Syo in control of Monobear this time- hell, her whole split personality thing might actually help if you assume Monobear and Monomi are the same character. In which case, Togami would be there as a 'control', and perhaps as a way to allay suspicion (also to avoid the scissors). It also helps avoid the whole 'now that Junko's dead, who's in charge?' question. That being said, I find it really hard to believe that some of these kids, Ibuki and Mahiru in particular, being involved in something so inherently and irrationally nihilistic, unless Hinata or Nagito was some kind of SHSL Cult Leader.

That being said, all this speculation will be all for naught if there are strong ties between DR2 and DR0. There's a JRPG series whose name escapes me at the moment which closely interlinks the games, a manga and several anime series; I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disappointed) if this was the case with Dangan-Ronpa.

EDIT: I know it's been theorized that Togami etc. are trying to bring hope to the world by 'saving' SHSL Despair (assuming it's true), but honestly, considering the chaos and destruction they sowed, would it be more despairing to let them simply escape their crimes? After all, the talents that helped them succeed are still with them. Or would it bring more hope to the world to know that they're completely gone, hung by their own petards?

Man, I'm putting waaay too much thought into this.

VVV .hack, that's right! I don't know much about how popular Dangan-Ronpa is in Japan, so I was wondering if it'd be profitable to have that kind of exposure. Heck, it's got an anime coming out, after all.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 4, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CommissarMega posted:

That being said, all this speculation will be all for naught if there are strong ties between DR2 and DR0. There's a JRPG series whose name escapes me at the moment which closely interlinks the games, a manga and several anime series; I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disappointed) if this was the case with Dangan-Ronpa.

You're thinking of .hack.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
While the "Togami is mastermind against SHSL Despair goons" theory is interesting, I don't think the other DR1 survivors would approve of such a plan.

As an aside, does anyone find the joke for Monomi's favourite food doesn't flow well verbally? The first syllables of "carrot" and "cadavar" sound different, after all.

EDIT: Oh goodness every day my typos get weirder

Jeek fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 4, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe something like:

Let's see... Your favorite food is...
You can do it! Here's a hint: I'm a wabbit!
Ca...
Go on!
..rrion!
What? I'm a wabbit, not a vulture!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jeek posted:

While the "Togami is mastermind against SHSL Despair goons" theory is interesting, I don't think the other DR1 survivors would approve of such a plan.

As an aside, does anyone find the joke for Monomi's favourite fruit doesn't flow well verbally? The first syllables of "carrot" and "cadavar" sound different, after all.
I can see it passing. I've heard some people pronounce it "ca-rot" instead of "care-ot" personally.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Carrot and Cadaver absolutely have the same 'Ca' as far as I'm concerned.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Ca...
Go on!
..rrion!

This was pretty much the version Fedule was pushing for (though he came up with "cadaver" as well). My first draft used "carcasses".

The original gag wasn't even about death, though -- Monobear guesses Monomi likes to eat ningen - "humans" instead of ninjin - "carrots".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

orenronen posted:

This was pretty much the version Fedule was pushing for (though he came up with "cadaver" as well). My first draft used "carcasses".

The original gag wasn't even about death, though -- Monobear guesses Monomi likes to eat ningen - "humans" instead of ninjin - "carrots".

If only rabbits were known for eating soybeans, I could have made a Soylent Green joke.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

If only rabbits were known for eating soybeans, I could have made a Soylent Green joke.

Look at the links you made go through for that stupid joke. :argh:

tl;dr - The jury is still out regarding whether soy is good for rabbits, but it has been included in commercial feed for some time already, which supposedly means it is safe? :confused:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There were 16 student bedrooms in the first game, which is why people assumed that there was probably a 16th student in each incoming class. Presumably that was the floor for Freshmen and other years were housed in other buildings. The 16-student trend probably continues here, but there's nothing preventing us from seeing more students (although I doubt that there are more students)

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Cospa's gonna be selling a pretty neat Nagito coat in April.

More images + information here: http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000049321

Although the bottom edge of the coat seems kinda lacking compared to the source material. I never noticed the raggedy square shapes there until now. I'm kinda scared to look up other merch due to spoilers :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lotus circle posted:

I can see it passing. I've heard some people pronounce it "ca-rot" instead of "care-ot" personally.

Just to add to the like ninetieth iteration of this discussion, I've never heard anyone pronounce it "care-ot" and the ca sound in carrot and carcas is identical to me. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dialects. The bane of homophonic puns.

(Part of the reason I was pushing for "carrion" was that in just about every English dialect I could think of, "carrot" and "carrion" use the same car sound. So, if you pronounce "care-ot" you'll pronounce "care-ion", and the pun still works. Fortunately, the version we went with is obvious enough that the pun should come through even if you read it "wrong".)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My Japanese vocabulary sucks balls, but I am always going to remember the word for carrot now...

Fedule posted:

Fortunately, the version we went with is obvious enough that the pun should come through even if you read it "wrong".

Is that what made the decision for you guys? I do like the final version, since "cadavers" is just a funnier-sounding word than "carrion". And the continuation of the word seems to stand better on its own. "rion!" feels weak to me compared to "davers!"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bifauxnen posted:

Is that what made the decision for you guys? I do like the final version, since "cadavers" is just a funnier-sounding word than "carrion". And the continuation of the word seems to stand better on its own. "rion!" feels weak to me compared to "davers!"

It wasn't what made the decision but it was the reason I didn't kick up a very big fuss over it. And, yeah, "-davers" is a much neater cut, since it doesn't divide the word in the middle of a half-syllable-thing (I forget the technical name for these). Plus, like I said, the "Ca" sound is more or less always going to be the same as in "Carrot" (and if not it's still obvious), plus plus, "cadaver" specifically means a human corpse, so it fits in to the original joke. I was "pushing" for Carrion, true, but not enough to really fight over it given that Cadaver had all this going for it. Given another few hours to think about it I'd probably have started pushing for Cadavers anyway.

Oren also suggested that maybe "carrion" isn't a word we could rely on non-native English speakers recognizing. I wouldn't know, of course.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fedule posted:

Oren also suggested that maybe "carrion" isn't a word we could rely on non-native English speakers recognizing. I wouldn't know, of course.
I think it's more that "carrion" is a less common word to describe corpses than "cadavers" are. I don't think carrion is even a word most native speakers would recognizes off the bat because the two words used most often are "corpses" and "cadavers".

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

lotus circle posted:

I think it's more that "carrion" is a less common word to describe corpses than "cadavers" are. I don't think carrion is even a word most native speakers would recognizes off the bat because the two words used most often are "corpses" and "cadavers".

When I read carrion the first thing I thought of was a vulture eating a corpse, but maybe I've played too much Snake Eater.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

DeathBySpoon posted:

When I read carrion the first thing I thought of was a vulture eating a corpse, but maybe I've played too much Snake Eater.

I thought the same thing, so playing too much Snake Eater probably didn't cause you to think that way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Generally, when I think of "carrion," the thing that pops into my mind is an already somewhat decayed animal carcass, like roadkill or something. So yeah, I think "cadavers" is a better fit at retaining the original spirit of the pun.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

saihate posted:

Cospa's gonna be selling a pretty neat Nagito coat in April.

More images + information here: http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000049321

Although the bottom edge of the coat seems kinda lacking compared to the source material. I never noticed the raggedy square shapes there until now. I'm kinda scared to look up other merch due to spoilers :(

That coat looks kinda grungy to me personally; though I wouldn't mind being able to get Naegi's gas-mask hoodie.

Also chiming in to say that Carrion brings to mind smooshed squirrels and run-over-ed raccoon rather than humans corpses. Cadavers brings to mind stiffs in a morgue

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Fedule posted:

As a non-native speaker who mostly learned English through games, I think I learned the word "Carrion" sooner than "Cadaver", but that's mostly because I was more interested in animals (including carrion eaters) than dead bodies. On the other hand, I've heard the word "Cadaver" being used in my language, so maybe it's used as a loan word in other languages, too?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
"carrion" can mean non-human remains whereas "cadaver" means specifically a human corpse, so "cadavers" is a more literal translation.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Carrion also often implies a rotted carcass, while a cadaver generally implies a body in pristine condition, generally for medical purposes.

Hey, I just noticed while typing up this post that carcass probably works too. Probably better in context than the other two options, even.

edit:

SingerOfW posted:

On the other hand, I've heard the word "Cadaver" being used in my language, so maybe it's used as a loan word in other languages, too?
Yeah, cadaver is a medical term with latin origins, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has a cognate in other languages.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 4, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What did other people make of Peko's apparent offer to forcefully silence Kuzuryuu? That was the most interesting bit of the update for me, and it really hasn't been discussed in the wake of Togami's "I used to be like you..." revelation.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

What did other people make of Peko's apparent offer to forcefully silence Kuzuryuu? That was the most interesting bit of the update for me, and it really hasn't been discussed in the wake of Togami's "I used to be like you..." revelation.

That'd be the second time she's done that, she said something like "anyone thinking about murder will be stopped by force!" when the rules were announced. I'm pretty sure she just planned to knock him out with her practice sword, she's probably skilled enough to be able to know how much force to use. But yeah, she seems to be rather eager to resolve things herself. Maybe it could lead to something like killing in self defense, or knocking someone out and it being used to frame her for murder

Wait, did they mention if her sword was a bokken, or a bamboo shinai? The latter would be a bit hard to kill someone with, but getting whacked with it would hurt. The bokken could definitely be used to kill someone, it's solid wood.

SOL_Cambot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 4, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SOL_Cambot posted:

Wait, did they mention if her sword was a bokken, or a bamboo shinai? The latter would be a bit hard to kill someone with, but getting whacked with it would hurt. The bokken could definitely be used to kill someone, it's solid wood.

Maybe hard for a normal person, but not a SHSL Swordswoman. Frankly, if she doesn't bisect a train or something by the end I will be very disappointed in the anime content of this game.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 4, 2013

Gado
Jul 29, 2010
Orenronen mentioned earlier in the thread that it's referred to as Shinai in the original japanese.

I've seen a bit of speculation about the number of students in each class, but I've been thinking more about the nature of the class in DR2. I think it would be pretty interesting and make sense if this group weren't class mates at all. Considering Togami/possibly Naegi (It seems to me like Naegi, but it also seems a bit too obvious to be that simple.) and the fact that Naegi's class was supposed to be the only survivors, it seems a bit odd. I don't think there's much more to speculate without a bit more information, but that's what I'm most interested to find out about.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kytrarewn posted:

Peko's response struck me as the typical "reluctant warrior" attitude - "I don't want to hurt you, but if I have to...". It's an interesting contrast to Akane, who seemed downright eager to throw down.

So far, Peko seems to be one of the more level-headed, down-to-earth characters. I'm curious to see what the game has in store for her.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Wyvernil posted:

So, was Monobear supposed to be the straight man or the funny man in that routine? :confused:

Monobear is whatever he goddamn wants to be, but the first joke he was the boke, the second joke he was the tsukkomi and the third "joke" Monomi was the tsukkomi (nandeyanen is the stock tsukkomi punchline phrase, like oren said).

Pretty boy gangster's going to end up a total punk, isn't he? Kind of an anti-Togami where his bluster is borne of supreme insecurity instead of supreme self-confidence.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Working on the Dangan Ronpa 2 class in Perler beads now. Here’s the first set, including Usami/Monomi/“the Monohare”. The limitations of the Perler color palette can be frustrating to work with, but at least these sprites require far less editing than the original class.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Zyxyz posted:

Working on the Dangan Ronpa 2 class in Perler beads now. Here’s the first set, including Usami/Monomi/“the Monohare”. The limitations of the Perler color palette can be frustrating to work with, but at least these sprites require far less editing than the original class.

Oh wow, these are great!

I have been thinking about making patters and doing a cross stitch collection in a similar vein, since that is sort of the limit of my own creative ability. Seeing as how neat these look, I think I will have to get serious about it. Has a sprite pack like that DR1 been posted in this thread yet? I don't remember seeing one, but going out searching seems like a bad idea.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

a spooky ghost posted:

Has a sprite pack like that DR1 been posted in this thread yet? I don't remember seeing one, but going out searching seems like a bad idea.
A spritepack is out there, but it obviously contains many sprites not yet seen in the game. I wouldn't touch it with a 40 foot pole if you're avoiding spoilers.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
I guess I specifically meant the sprites of the main cast and nothing more. Something like the one in Zyxyz's link, and what (I assume) he or she is now working from.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

lotus circle posted:

A spritepack is out there, but it obviously contains many sprites not yet seen in the game. I wouldn't touch it with a 40 foot pole if you're avoiding spoilers.
Is there a link to the DR1 pack, though? I haven't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zyxyz posted:

Oh wow, those look great. Funnily enough I ironed down Nagito and Gundam head sprites earlier today, won't bother posting those now because those are ironed much better.

Are you going to do Monobear as well?

• Locked thread