Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do the Barracks work the same way as in FE12, where you have to leave the game closed for a while for it to reload? All I've been getting is a bunch of fluff after each (mostly optional) map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm not sure which unique skills to pass on to Laurent and Gerome from their mothers. Should it be Demoiselle or Support Boost+?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

TurnipFritter posted:

Armthrift works with Tomes, right? Because I'm thinking Mercenary -> Dark Mage for my Avatar.

Yup.

My Severa has +2 Str, +6 Skl, and +6 Spd bonus. She frowns because no one is worthy :black101:.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

yellowcar posted:

I'm not sure which unique skills to pass on to Laurent and Gerome from their mothers. Should it be Demoiselle or Support Boost+?

Neither is very good, but Support Boost+ in particular is really sucky.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My Chrom is getting gains that would make him envious of Roy. :smith:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Note to self: Pair Cherche up with a blonde.
"Gerome, he is a CHAR"

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So I'm trying a Casual Playthrough, and I'm curious, do they dumb down the UI when you're about to battle? It looked like there was less information than in Classic mode.

Edit: vvvvv Yep, that was it, was worried the game was taunting me for a moment.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 6, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It probably defaults to the simpler setting, you can change a lot of that stuff in settings.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just wanted to share this:

Classic Hard Mode, first stage. Mage with Thunder crits my Tactician for 24 damage.

I've missed you so much, Fire Emblem.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Here's to hoping that my Gamestop was right when they said they'd get it Wednesday. I'd love to get in on all this hot hot Fire Emblem action.

Still have no idea who I want to pair with who. I honestly am more interested in interesting character pairings than I am in super-awesome kids. The idea of Cordelia/Vaike getting married over their shared Chrom-fixation is hilarious.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I had to give up on Hard mode for now and went with Normal Classic. This is my first FE game, so it's probably for the best, and I've still had to do a few restarts to save a character.

drat this is awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my goodness the little scene I got when marrying off my Avatar and Miriel was hilarious.

I like this game. :3:

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Oh sure game, spawn Pegasus knights that can immediately move and kill my dancer yeah that's real loving fair :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I need more character slots, goddamnit. Or is the game assuming that I'm using the kid over their parents from now on, because I haven't used Vaike in so long and I want to.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy hell I am ridiculously luck with sparkly tiles. Micaiah's Pyre and Seliph's Blade one after the other, this is getting ridiculous. I've gotten exactly two duds in about 40 tiles.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Any asset/flaw setups that I should be sure to avoid? I was thinking of going speed/luck or speed/resistance.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Never make skill a flaw. Never.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
God my Chrom has been getting the shittiest levelups.

He has 10/2/13/13/11/7/3 at level goddamn 12. I'm really happy there.

Besides that, I went +skl/-def, so I'm reclassing my avatar to something with defense for a while. Knight has lovely skills though.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I know that bad level ups tend to shape your party make up, but there's something uniquely disappointing about having a MU get a 1 point and 2 point level ups, one right after the other.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Contest Winner posted:

Any asset/flaw setups that I should be sure to avoid? I was thinking of going speed/luck or speed/resistance.

Resistance/Luck gives you the most balanced stats/growths overall. Otherwise, here's some tools to play around with on Serene Forest:
Growth Rates
Maximum Stats

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 6, 2013

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

RoboCicero posted:

I know that bad level ups tend to shape your party make up, but there's something uniquely disappointing about having a MU get a 1 point and 2 point level ups, one right after the other.

My Sully has gained HP once. Once! She's 14 now. I'm still using her because she has gained a ton of Defense and Speed so she isn't really in danger except things that have effective weaponry or magic.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Having Donnel getting one or two point levels (in MAG of all things) is something else I tell ya. :arghfist:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just reclass using a Second Seal and play the Marth map a couple times for your favorite RNG-screwed character.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy crap Chapter 20 :cry:

I don't know how to get through this. I only managed to get through 19 because I ignored about four deaths (casual :toot:) but that poo poo obviously won't fly in Chapter 20.

I feel like I've messed up my training horribly somehow... I've been pairing up units since the game recommended that I start doing it and switching which unit is in front to try to keep things balanced. Is that a bad strategy? Should I have been making people fight on their own/next to each other (side note: 19 is actually the first time I let character deaths go without a reset except maybe a thief once or twice).

I wish this were Pokémon, I could just run around in the grass for an hour or two and then come back and whup Whitney's Wilhart's rear end.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

404GoonNotFound posted:

Resistance/Luck gives you the most balanced stats/growths overall. Otherwise, here's some tools to play around with on Serene Forest:
Growth Rates
Maximum Stats

Cool, thanks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

lelandjs posted:

I don't know how to get through this. I only managed to get through 19 because I ignored about four deaths (casual :toot:) but that poo poo obviously won't fly in Chapter 20.

I feel like I've messed up my training horribly somehow... I've been pairing up units since the game recommended that I start doing it and switching which unit is in front to try to keep things balanced. Is that a bad strategy? Should I have been making people fight on their own/next to each other (side note: 19 is actually the first time I let character deaths go without a reset except maybe a thief once or twice).

I wish this were Pokémon, I could just run around in the grass for an hour or two and then come back and whup Whitney's Wilhart's rear end.

I'd say train on Marth's DLC but you're a bit past the levels now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since there are no real wrong pairings, I'm just sticking together people who work mechanically for now.

I like broken setups, but I couldn't care less about the post-game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, you could just grind using the Reekings since you're at a point where money isn't a problem on Hard even.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Nah, don't make people fight on their own, that'll make things harder. If we're thinking of the same map, you'll want to press forward fairly fast, so that you can start fighting the middle group before they reinforcements come from behind. The center group won't advance as a group until the reinforcements come, until then you can pull a couple at a time and kill them. When the reinforcements come and start pincering you, try and press through the center group, you should hopefully clear them before the reinforcements make it to you, letting you put your full force against them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
My first reset :( Ran Sumia into an archer with a Steel Bow backed up by a wyvern rider.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Since there are no real wrong pairings, I'm just sticking together people who work mechanically for now.

I like broken setups, but I couldn't care less about the post-game.

Seems to me like all you need to worry about is putting pegasus knight on as many units as you can (Donnel and Avatar both pass it down) because Galeforce is so stupid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Seems to me like all you need to worry about is putting pegasus knight on as many units as you can (Donnel and Avatar both pass it down) because Galeforce is so stupid.

Sure, I have people with galeforce and their kids will too, but I don't really see the need to play the entire game toward that end. I like using lots of different classes instead of concentrating everyone into a few min/maxed builds.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Gamestop and Best Buy didn't get it in yet and all the Targets in the area sold out before I was done with work. I was resigned to waiting for the weekend but then I remembered that we have a Fry's the next town over. I randomly checked their site and . . . available for store pickup! I used the store pickup thing for some peace of mind, then immediately drove over and got it. :rms:

So, if you've got one nearby, check Fry's. :fry:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Jesus, you people weren't kidding when you were talking about Donnelfied Nah. :stare:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Kind of regret starting my game on Hard, Classic. This is not a joke. That generic in Chapter 3 with a hammer was giving me issues.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm WAY behind you guys. I keep loving up and resetting. Is there some secret reset button I haven't seen or do you have to go out to the Home menu every time?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lareine posted:

I'm WAY behind you guys. I keep loving up and resetting. Is there some secret reset button I haven't seen or do you have to go out to the Home menu every time?

L+R+Start

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I had to reset chapter 2 a couple times since pairing Fredrick with the Avatar inevitably meant you had three units gang up on either Sully or Virion. I've missed you Fire Emblem.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How much harder is Lunatic compared to Hard? Hard is just... too easy with the pairing / support mechanics. It might actually be hard without pairing up, but I don't know all challenge disappears once you get one or two S-ranks paired up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Chapter 3: After several attempts, I got past the gates with everyone intact and thought I was in the clear, and thought it was a good idea to move up my squishy units (i.e. Everyone except Kellam and Frederick.) Moved Freddy to splatter a Barb.

Then I noticed that said Barb was packing a Hammer. I didn't take the chance with Freddy, but Virion got the short end on the next turn.

Yup, this is Fire Emblem.

On Hard, anyway. I am tempted to restart on Normal, but deep down, I know Hard IS Normal mode for all intents and purposes. In other words, stop whining and learn from your mistakes.

• Locked thread