Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

So now that I'm geared up, 2 balls, shoes, towels, other misc stuff, I need a bag. Anyone have any recommendations here as far as tote vs roller? Thinking about going with this guy http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-bags/Storm/8501/Tournament-Double-Roller-Black.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

So now that I'm geared up, 2 balls, shoes, towels, other misc stuff, I need a bag. Anyone have any recommendations here as far as tote vs roller? Thinking about going with this guy http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-bags/Storm/8501/Tournament-Double-Roller-Black.html

I just got this guy for xmas

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-bags/Storm/8493/Triple-Tournament-Deluxe-Tote-Navy.html

I carry 3 balls though so probably not what you're looking for.

I got a bag for my dad very similar to the one you're looking at and he really likes it. Carries everything he needs, very well made and sturdy.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So we're halfway through the main season, and I'm looking to do some thread upkeep. I don't think a new thread is needed since the info is still solid, but I was thinking of tearing out the info on specific oil patterns and making that post a compilation of advice on adjustments/pin carry/spare shooting and other assorted info.

Any info people would want to see added is appreciated, I'll be probably working on it tonight/tomorrow.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I can write something up on the two-handed delivery, if you want. If it's even warranted.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Whale guy and I seem to be the only people in this thread really working out the basics so I dunno if it deserves OP space but any general Must Have beginner knowledge would be appreciated. I'm sure there's plenty of "oh poo poo" stuff I don't even realise I need and a lot of the stuff in the OP doesn't really apply to me yet although it is interesting and cool. Honestly I'm not even sure what a lot of the basic terms & concepts y'all throw around mean :shobon:

Shot 141-168-144 last night. My average is still going up every week at any rate, but I feel like I probably just need a lot more practice at this point to really be steadily improving. Maybe I should take a lesson or two. I understand what I'm meant to be doing but throwing with any consistency is a tossup. Still struggling with my release even; my hook is pretty inconsistent. When it all comes together it's crazy satisfying though, especially if I've made some adjustment and I turn out to be right.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I can write something up on the two-handed delivery, if you want. If it's even warranted.

Not a bad idea. If you want to type something up and either post it her or PM me I'll throw it in. I'll probably have something done by the weekend since I just found out I have to sub tomorrow night.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Critical posted:

Not a bad idea. If you want to type something up and either post it her or PM me I'll throw it in. I'll probably have something done by the weekend since I just found out I have to sub tomorrow night.

Sounds good; I'll PM it over the weekend.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Typing up some stuff now, will probably be done by the end of the weekend. In the meantime, meet the family:

From weakest to strongest:
T-Zone for spares
Ebonite Cyclone (Yellow, Purple, Orange in bottom right, label is hard to read)
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Marauder
Storm Virtual Gravity Nano
DV8 Hellraiser Revenge

And yes, I need that many, shut your mouth. I had to make 5 ball changes the last NEBA I bowled and used almost all of them. I also gave away my Storm Victory Road cause it was drilled like poo poo and I had trouble throwing it.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Schach posted:

Whale guy and I seem to be the only people in this thread really working out the basics so I dunno if it deserves OP space but any general Must Have beginner knowledge would be appreciated. I'm sure there's plenty of "oh poo poo" stuff I don't even realise I need and a lot of the stuff in the OP doesn't really apply to me yet although it is interesting and cool. Honestly I'm not even sure what a lot of the basic terms & concepts y'all throw around mean :shobon:

Shot 141-168-144 last night. My average is still going up every week at any rate, but I feel like I probably just need a lot more practice at this point to really be steadily improving. Maybe I should take a lesson or two. I understand what I'm meant to be doing but throwing with any consistency is a tossup. Still struggling with my release even; my hook is pretty inconsistent. When it all comes together it's crazy satisfying though, especially if I've made some adjustment and I turn out to be right.

You're doing better than me, keep it up! I'm still in that mode as well, especially since I've only attempted hook bowling the past 2 weeks. When I get it right I can just feel it and it's extremely satisfying. I can now tell when I really screw it up, which is quite a bit. My scores are still about 40 pins lower than where I was straight bowling but I'm not giving up damnit.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I was never consistently throwing over like 110 or something with a house ball though, not close to the sets you were posting. It will come together sooner than later probably. I think I've had my ball for a little over a month now.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Went and bowled 4 games tonight.
110 - Couldn't hit a spare to save my life.
134, 154, 152

Finally getting a little better at control and my release. I just need to work on picking up my spares. I was leaving a lot of 10 pins on my first throw tonight. I found out I have to start over around the 7 board to keep the ball to the right of the head pin. My ball doesn't look like it has a lot of revs going down the lane but when it gets to the end it makes a sharp hook.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Whale Cancer and Schach: You guys aren't the only newbies wandering around the thread. I'm trying to unlearn about 5-6 years of bad habits built up from throwing a straight plastic ball. My average was about 145 with it, but I felt like it was time to go for the next level.

I got my first reactive ball a few weeks ago. It's an Elite Scorpion; I know it's older, but the pro shop had it on closeout, and did it up for me for about $125 total. The owner suggested something a little more aggressive since my old release meant I was gonna be struggling to get any real movement at first, and it felt like a pretty good deal. I'm starting to get the hang of throwing a little hook. It's only moving 6-7 boards right now, but it feels really good to see the movement.

After a week where I could barely break 100 with it, going 168-115-191 in league tonight throwing a hook was pretty nice. It's amazing how much more consistent the new ball is in terms of where it goes. I have to screw up pretty badly to miss the head pin completely with the new ball, while it was a lot easier to do that throwing straight. There's still some obvious growing pains, as the 115 can attest to, but bowling is suddenly a lot more fun now.

Maybe next week I'll actually get to bowl some practice games. Learning on the fly during league certainly isn't an ideal situation, but my schedule has been awful for finding time to go. Thankfully it's just a rec league and my team has been picking up my slack while I learn.

Baldrash fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 18, 2013

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Another awful league week for me. 125, 125, 120. I couldn't pick up spares for the life of me again and I keep leaving the drat 10 pin.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Whale Cancer posted:

and I keep leaving the drat 10 pin.

This isn't a terrible thing. When you are hitting the pocket and consistently leaving the ten pin, try and move your approach starting point about an inch back if you can. This should allow the ball to hit the pocket just a tad more high/flush and kick out that ten pin for you. As for picking up the ten pin, its all about practice, of course. Finding that spot to throw over to consistently pick it up.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This isn't a terrible thing. When you are hitting the pocket and consistently leaving the ten pin, try and move your approach starting point about an inch back if you can. This should allow the ball to hit the pocket just a tad more high/flush and kick out that ten pin for you. As for picking up the ten pin, its all about practice, of course. Finding that spot to throw over to consistently pick it up.

I can pick up the 10 pin, it's probably the easiest spare for me to get. I just keep leaving the 10 on my first bowl of the frame. I was leaving a lot of 5 pins too so I'm not sure what that means either. I just need more practice.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...
I finally got back into the sport via a league with a bunch of co-workers at my current job. Small league of six teams (mixed, three per team), and it's far from competitive, but it has been an absolute blast.

Before starting six weeks ago, my average was around a 160. After six weeks, it stands at 195. I've set highs in series (647) and single games (264). And that feels great. I have never bowled this well in my life.

But I have been horribly inconsistent. That 264 was followed by a 162, and a few weeks earlier I had a 150 followed by a 243. It's not the shot -- first dot, first arrow, ball hooks into pocket -- that's the problem. My mechanics keep getting out of whack, and I end up fighting myself while my scores plummet.

Aside from the obvious "get out there and throw more" solution, does anyone have any ideas on how I can work on this? Is it just a matter of becoming tougher mentally and/or physically?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Whale Cancer posted:

I can pick up the 10 pin, it's probably the easiest spare for me to get. I just keep leaving the 10 on my first bowl of the frame. I was leaving a lot of 5 pins too so I'm not sure what that means either. I just need more practice.

5 pins, and to a lesser extent 10 pins, mean your ball is deflecting off the pocket instead of driving through it. Try letting the ball work itself in from a slightly more outside angle. Slowing the ball down and/or starting your approach a little farther back are also ways to allow the ball more time to drive.

And HelfMyselp - you're right in that it's all about mental and physical preparation. Your body needs to know what a good shot feels like so you can repeat it consistently. But you can't do that if you're not concentrating on every shot; that's where the mental part comes in. You don't have to be one of those divas that spends 45 seconds on the approach before each ball. Just get a good pre-shot routine going. I like to find my mark, bend my knees, take a breath, and only then do I go.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Devo posted:

5 pins, and to a lesser extent 10 pins, mean your ball is deflecting off the pocket instead of driving through it. Try letting the ball work itself in from a slightly more outside angle. Slowing the ball down and/or starting your approach a little farther back are also ways to allow the ball more time to drive.

And HelfMyselp - you're right in that it's all about mental and physical preparation. Your body needs to know what a good shot feels like so you can repeat it consistently. But you can't do that if you're not concentrating on every shot; that's where the mental part comes in. You don't have to be one of those divas that spends 45 seconds on the approach before each ball. Just get a good pre-shot routine going. I like to find my mark, bend my knees, take a breath, and only then do I go.

I'll give the approach change a shot. I can't really move any farther right. I'm already starting around the 3-5 board. I'm wondering if maybe I should start out on the left and try angling towards the right arrow. The ball I have, or maybe it's just the lane conditions I've been playing on, but my shot goes straight until the last maybe 10 feet and then hooks hard and fast left. Sometime's it's crossing the arrows at the 5 board and I'm still hitting left of the head pin.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Most house shots have hardly any oil on the outside so I'm not surprised that your ball is screaming left if you're starting on the 5 board. Try moving your feet left and projecting your ball slightly to the right. Your ball will do the work for you and you'll have a less extreme and more controllable hook. More importantly your angle of attack will be better and you should leave less 5 pins.

It all depends how the oil pattern is set up but there's usually not much reason to go outside the 8-10 board range unless you're really trying to swing the poo poo out of it.

Devo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 21, 2013

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
143-117-173 prebowling tonight for Wednesday. It is frustrating to throw one pin under my average. Last week I rolled 155-106-140 and was pretty bummed out about the second game. I think it's just that second game is when I start having to adjust and also when I start sweating and generally getting sloppier. Then I can compensate by the third game. I dunno.

I was having a similar problem to you Whale Cancer with my hook just being too much all the time. Gradually started moving both myself and my mark to the left. I wound up starting way out around the 35 board and throwing the ball a little to the right of the fifth arrow. I have no idea if this is a reasonable way to compensate or if I'm just putting too much muscle into hooking the ball or what but I felt alright tonight. Every week I walk away feeling like I really just need more practice, more consistency.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I went to a different center tonight that has synthetic lanes vs the wood I normally play on. This was absolute terrible and I bowled 2 games and left. No matter what I did I couldn't get my ball to move any direction other than forward. I tried more revs, I tried faster/slower ball speed but every time the ball would just spin on its axis all the way down the lane and never break. I don't plan on going back.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Whale Cancer posted:

I went to a different center tonight that has synthetic lanes vs the wood I normally play on. This was absolute terrible and I bowled 2 games and left. No matter what I did I couldn't get my ball to move any direction other than forward. I tried more revs, I tried faster/slower ball speed but every time the ball would just spin on its axis all the way down the lane and never break. I don't plan on going back.

If it's anything like some of the shittier houses around here... They don't dress their lanes so much as they just absolutely drench them in oil at the start of the week and then don't touch them until maybe the weekend.

Odd night tonight. 181-235-146. I wish I could blame the last game on something other than myself, but I can't. I simply was just not throwing the ball well anymore. I couldn't swing it out to hit my line, and when I did, I swung out too far and came in too low. Ah well, took 3 of 4 and still came out over my average (but just barely).

March Of Dimes kickoff tournament this coming Saturday. Our regional USBC rep bowls in my Monday night league and asked me to be on his team and represent our house. No pressure...

Milkman Conspiracy
Jan 29, 2009
Just started a league after not having bowled since High School (about 6 years) and bowled my first perfectly clean game tonight for a 230. The rest of the games weren't as awesome, but overall I'm pretty pleased considering when I stopped bowling my average was around 150 and I got 200s once every 30 games or so. It feels so awesome to get back into the swing of things after so long.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Wow, good job Milkman but you really make me feel terrible haha. It's ok I'm having as much fun bowling 110's as I do 190s.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

Don't plan on bowling outside your house then because wood lanes are a huge rarity nowadays.

Synthetics hook considerably less than wood lanes, and if they're Brunswick synthetic they hook even less than normal. And if they had a sport shot out for some reason and you're playing the wrong part of the lane the ball will go 60 feet and never move, regardless of revs or speed. As you improve and put more revs on the ball you'll be able to make it hook on any surface.

And my planned update to the thread is still coming, I just got off of a week of the flu and could barely concentrate. Wasn't even able to bowl last week so I have to bowl 8 games in a couple sessions.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Critical posted:

Synthetics hook considerably less than wood lanes, and if they're Brunswick synthetic they hook even less than normal. And if they had a sport shot out for some reason and you're playing the wrong part of the lane the ball will go 60 feet and never move, regardless of revs or speed. As you improve and put more revs on the ball you'll be able to make it hook on any surface.

Our club is due for some new synthetic lanes to replace our wood ones in the next year or two. I can only imagine the fallout that's going to happen when the old-timers get up and can't turn their ball over.

Hell, we just got new pins and everyone is complaining about them not falling over. Though, last night I did have one get to practically a 45* angle, rotate around, and stand right back up :argh:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, new pins tend to take a while to break in and have their bottom edge round off a bit.

If you want to see bad pin carry you should see Tiger pins. They're bottom weighted and used around here for gimmick tournaments in a couple houses. You've never seen so many high flush 5-7s and 8-10s in your life.

In other news one of our local NEBA guys is bowling in the PBA League as we speak and is +61 after 6 games. He's on Barnsey's team as an alternate, so he probably gets some tv exposure this weekend if all goes well. Look for Jon VanHees, dude has an awesome style and is really adaptable. I bowled with him a few tournaments ago and watched him go straight up 10 with a loving Nano on bone dry lanes while I was off the left corner.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We got new pindecks over the summer and they're ridiculously slick. I've seen poo poo you wouldn't believe. A 4 or 5 pin sliding all the way to the 7 pin slot without so much as a wobble is more or less a common occurrence. We called the manufacturer to get their suggestions but that didn't seem to help and in fact made it a little worse. The only thing that seems to help is spraying a bleach/water mix on the pinspots and letting it dry. The residue is pretty tacky so if the pin has enough sideways energy to slide it will just fall over instead.

Can't wait until we have to replace the old wood lanes with synthetics and get more strange things happening.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
We had the same problem at a place I used to bowl at and also run maintenance for. We found that using cane sugar cola is the best way to go. Same concept; just spray and let dry. I figured if it was good enough for roller derby teams to use to make polished concrete tackier, it'd work for us. And it did. Also smells way better than bleach and water.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Devo posted:

Appreciate the advice. I am convinced it's more mental than physical at this point. I'll keep working on a good pre-shot routine. Hopefully that will help with consistency.

In the six weeks of league play so far, I've been up and down:

204-193-150
243-159-155
175-157-182
170-202-259
199-212-236
204-264-162

Don't get me wrong. I am tickled pink with a 195 average to this point. I just want to avoid the peaks and valleys being so...brutal. I also want to get out to some other local lanes and see just how much those games drop off when I have to learn new shots. :)

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

So the last 2 weeks I've developed a raw spot on my thumb. Here is a picture with a red spot drawn where my thumb is raw. I was told that it's from me gripping with my thumb but I don't know. I am trying my damndest to keep my thumb straight by making sure the back of my thumbnail is touching the back of the hole. It did this on my 3rd game last week and again this week.

Any ideas?

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
^^^^^ try the skin tape mentioned in the OP that poo poo helped me a lot.

107-106-117 last night and pretty frustrated about it!! First time since I started I've bowled all three games under my average I think. The weather here was like 20 degrees all last week and suddenly on Tuesday it went up to 70. Dang tulips blooming and such. Also, rain. The humidity was just absurd and basically midway through the very first game my limbs had all given up in protest and I was sweating like a monster. Four times I threw it directly in the gutter after spares, what few spares I was even picking up. I will blame the weather and anything besides myself but urgh how frustrating to be so terrible.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

So after a horrid 190-151-139 showing last week where I battled burned lanes (and failed miserably), there was oil to be found back at the house this week, leading to a 212-236-204 series, my highest ever. Had 7 straight to start the second game, then back-to-back ringing ten pins laughed at me.

I missed them both. :(

Overall, though, I felt one hell of a lot more comfortable at the line with my new shot routine. Only missed three spares -- all ten pins -- all night long. Can't argue with that.

Also, gently caress ten pins goddamnit :argh:

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I just went and bowled 6 games. The first two I did terrible, 119, 107. The next game I made a small adjustment, I moved my index finger over to almost touching my middle finger. My next 4 games I bowled 165, 167, 165, 172.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I've been bowling like poo poo all year. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a good series.

I bowled a 156 my first game tonight. Then, I decided to clean my ball. The second game is pretty poo poo. I have 133 in the 8th (after missing a 10 pin like a jackass). At this point, something inside my head just kind of clicked and I punch out for a 193.

The first shot of the third game, I come in just a bit light and leave a solid 10, which I then pick up. Then I somehow manage to take it off the sheet, with about 7 or 8 solid pocket hits, a couple brooklyns and one shot where I don't know what the gently caress happened, but somehow I hit the headpin and all the other pins fell, too.

The lesson that you may take away from my 290 is that it's better to be lucky than good.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

201-174-201. Second game midway through the game I made a switch to my other ball because I just couldn't find a line with my main ball and managed to salvage the 174. One of these nights I'll put together 3 consistent games I swear. We are 5 points out of first place now with about 10 weeks left. If we can continue to win at least 5 points a night like we have been we should be able to push ourselves into first place by the end of the year, which would be a really really nice payout.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My brother and another bowler on my team both got brand new balls for tonight. They're dull as poo poo and are going to rip apart the middle of the lanes.

...I should probably bring my urethane.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I left my ball with the driller last night as I'm still tearing holes in my thumb. He's going to adjust my pitch and put a thumb slug in. I think I might still be gripping the ball. I've been doing my best to keep my thumbnail touching the edge of the thumbhole but I dunno, maybe I am gripping still.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

My brother and another bowler on my team both got brand new balls for tonight. They're dull as poo poo and are going to rip apart the middle of the lanes.

...I should probably bring my urethane.

Guess I need them to tear up the lanes more often since I had my best series in about three years tonight. Started out with your average run of the mill 210 game with one open. Second game I started with the front seven before leaving a 9 pin in the eighth and ending with a 256. Third game I had the front ten before throwing a completely terrible in every way ball in the 11th and finishing with a 285.

751. I'm happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

That's more than just a good series bud haha.

• Locked thread