Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Unlucky7 posted:

On Hard, anyway. I am tempted to restart on Normal, but deep down, I know Hard IS Normal mode for all intents and purposes. In other words, stop whining and learn from your mistakes.

I feel really bad for starting on Normal but my excuse is that I have to get used to the mechanics first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

JackDarko posted:

Kind of regret starting my game on Hard, Classic. This is not a joke. That generic in Chapter 3 with a hammer was giving me issues.

Yeah, no poo poo! I figured playing Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon would prepare me for this but holy moly hard is, well, hard!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Unlucky7 posted:

Chapter 3: After several attempts, I got past the gates with everyone intact and thought I was in the clear, and thought it was a good idea to move up my squishy units (i.e. Everyone except Kellam and Frederick.) Moved Freddy to splatter a Barb.

Then I noticed that said Barb was packing a Hammer. I didn't take the chance with Freddy, but Virion got the short end on the next turn.

Yup, this is Fire Emblem.

On Hard, anyway. I am tempted to restart on Normal, but deep down, I know Hard IS Normal mode for all intents and purposes. In other words, stop whining and learn from your mistakes.

Yeah I died on that stage three times in three different ways. The first time I never expected Kellam to get OHKO'd by the Warrior with the hammer, second time I didn't expect it to happen to Fredrerick and the third time... well the third time I don't even remember what happened. It was crazy.

Yeah I never expected to have to play this kind of like XCOM. In the sense that I need to be eliminate all enemies the turn before they can attack me. At least for Chapter 3 anyway.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

JackDarko posted:

Yeah I died on that stage three times in three different ways. The first time I never expected Kellam to get OHKO'd by the Warrior with the hammer, second time I didn't expect it to happen to Fredrerick and the third time... well the third time I don't even remember what happened. It was crazy.

Yeah I never expected to have to play this kind of like XCOM. In the sense that I need to be eliminate all enemies the turn before they can attack me. At least for Chapter 3 anyway.

I haven't started my Awakening playthrough, but when you're setting up for the enemy phase you either want all your units to be positioned such that-

1. Zero enemies (or one enemy that can't kill them) can reach them;
2. Multiple enemies can reach them, but only one can attack at a time and your unit won't kill them on the counterattack, thus opening themselves up to getting a train run on them and getting overwhelmed; or
3. Multiple enemies can reach them, but the unit in question is a Knight or similarly hard-to-kill unit who doesn't give a gently caress.

On maps where you get hit on multiple fronts I'd frequently find myself having my army do a complicated tactical ballet on one front while on the other Gilliam or Oswin (the knights in 8/7) sat in cover refusing to die until my army mopped up the other front and relieved them. :black101:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

President Ark posted:

I haven't started my Awakening playthrough, but when you're setting up for the enemy phase you either want all your units to be positioned such that-

1. Zero enemies (or one enemy that can't kill them) can reach them;
2. Multiple enemies can reach them, but only one can attack at a time and your unit won't kill them on the counterattack, thus opening themselves up to getting a train run on them and getting overwhelmed; or
3. Multiple enemies can reach them, but the unit in question is a Knight or similarly hard-to-kill unit who doesn't give a gently caress.

On maps where you get hit on multiple fronts I'd frequently find myself having my army do a complicated tactical ballet on one front while on the other Gilliam or Oswin (the knights in 8/7) sat in cover refusing to die until my army mopped up the other front and relieved them. :black101:

Here is the thing though; This generic we are talking about has a weapon that does bonus damage to armored units, to the point where it CAN one shot the current Hard-To-Kill unit (Freddy) if it hits, and hits everything else extremely hard.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm sorry for asking this but what female character should I have Donny and the Avatar marry to make super babies.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Here is the thing though; This generic we are talking about has a weapon that does bonus damage to armored units, to the point where it CAN one shot the current Hard-To-Kill unit (Freddy) if it hits, and hits everything else extremely hard.

Got any quick sword-users? Hammers are heavy as gently caress and lose to them on the weapon triangle; he'll probably wind up with a single-digit hit chance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weapon weight doesn't exist in this game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Endorph posted:

Weapon weight doesn't exist in this game.

Oh. Well, then. :pseudo:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For those already playing - how hard is "Hard"? I've completed both Eliwood's and FE12's hard modes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azran posted:

For those already playing - how hard is "Hard"? I've completed both Eliwood's and FE12's hard modes.
It's somewhere between Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard, I'd say, though it gets easier as it goes on and you get more supports.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Azran posted:

I would say the beginning if you know how supports work is pretty easy for a FE vet, then the mid and late game all depends on your sperg of awakening's side quests and grinding which can range from Sacred Stones to Hector Hard Mode (If you just do straight missions without grinding or side quests).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Undead Unicorn posted:

I'm sorry for asking this but what female character should I have Donny and the Avatar marry to make super babies.

Donny + Nowi is hilariously good even before you recruit their daughter.

Male Avatar is optimally married off to Sully, Nowi, or Tharja, since those are the three women who have female children that don't naturally have access to Pegasus Knight.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Azran posted:

Hard seems harder than those two games' hard modes, but it also gives you far more ways to give yourself an unfair advantage in the form of duals and pairing up. If you make good use of supports and take random encounters and such, then you might find the early chapters are the most desperate ones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really like how you can simply hide your squishy units instead of making elaborate walls out of men when dealing with flying reinforcements. The pair system really removes the downsides of classes which used to be underwhelming in previous games. Knights, archers and thieves in particular are much more useful now, and flyers have gone from situationally useful to godly.

However, the enemy mechanics haven't really caught up to the improved options for players. Aside from the mostly mobile bosses, enemies can't really do anything new and have even lost some options. I don't really miss rear end in a top hat mages with siege tomes or status effects, but nothing was added to replace them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Flying units are quite good, but there are a TON of archers in this game. Every unit that can carry a bow does, just about, and they gave Assassins bows in addition to the classes you're used to seeing them on. Combine with rear end in a top hat reinforcements on Hard mode and above and you can find your fliers dead before you knew they were in danger.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't really miss rear end in a top hat mages with siege tomes or status effects, but nothing was added to replace them.

There's still siege tomes in the game, first ones I saw were in Nah's chapter.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

I really like how you can simply hide your squishy units instead of making elaborate walls out of men when dealing with flying reinforcements. The pair system really removes the downsides of classes which used to be underwhelming in previous games. Knights, archers and thieves in particular are much more useful now, and flyers have gone from situationally useful to godly.

However, the enemy mechanics haven't really caught up to the improved options for players. Aside from the mostly mobile bosses, enemies can't really do anything new and have even lost some options. I don't really miss rear end in a top hat mages with siege tomes or status effects, but nothing was added to replace them.

Enemies get some really crazy skills on higher difficulties. I do hope the next FE game lets enemies pair up though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They touch on this briefly on page 2 of the Iwata Asks interview for the game:

quote:

Iwata
That [dual system] didn't exist before, giving rise to a difficult problem with regard to overall balance.

Yokota
Yes. We wondered if perhaps two-on-one was taboo in Fire Emblem. But an opponent who doesn't have the concept of bonds can't team up with anyone, which works out well for the player, so we put it in. Besides, I think various styles of play will arise, with some finding it simply pleasing to have characters who get along well fighting alongside each other, while others may have them fight separately.

They seem to have instead increased the difficulty by having you fight more and stronger opponents, which is fine I guess. To say nothing of the enemy-only skills on Insanity, or what happens when you don't pay close attention to your opponents' skills.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Personally I just use fliers to move guys around quick, Sumia/Cordelia have gained maybe like 6-7 levels the past 7-8 chapters just because the enemy has so many silver bows (some forged) and air magic tomes it's supremely hazardous to fly them around unless you can clean up things quick, since they don't have much def either.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I didn't realize this game had the option of turning off permanent death. That shoots this game up to a must-buy for me now. I always shut the game off to restart when I played the GBA Fire Emblem everytime I died. If I don't have to do that anymore, I'm absolutely getting this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just beat Chapter 22 on Hard, have to say fliers are the most useless class for combat (changed Avatar to Dark Flier, haven't seen actual combat since). Waaaay too many bows and rexcalibers from the middle to the end.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tae posted:

Just beat Chapter 22 on Hard, have to say fliers are the most useless class for combat (changed Avatar to Dark Flier, haven't seen actual combat since). Waaaay too many bows and rexcalibers from the middle to the end.

I guess that's how they balanced out Galeforce :v:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

After meeting Owain I must say no one but The Vaike could have possibly been that kid's dad, I chose well. Picked up Nah as the first kid, holy crap that map was tough. A lot of close calls and clutch dodges got everyone through alive, barely. Nah herself is really good though. Nowi got a ~perfect level~ on that map, a point in EVERY SINGLE STAT. My jaw just dropped. She also managed to survive a horrible 5 man assault round with 1 health and some clutch Freddy support killer lance procs.

And then Owain's map is such a joke in comparison that I skip a turn while the very last guy is still alive because I wanted to get the item for talking to the NPC in the south and the guy runs up to Gaius and crits him from full to dead. With a 2% crit chance.

:drat: Fire Emblem!

I just buddy my fliers with non-fliers so they don't get shot down. Virion/Cherche and Chrom/Sumia are the main pairings, but either works well with anyone they have a support with. I find the Manaketes are amazing partners as well. Most successful buddy pairs are a ranged + a melee, so you can swap them as needed to hit the enemy.

Dancer is a lot less useful in this game, or it feels like it. She's too squishy, and hiding her behind a support feels like a total waste of a character since you're gaining one refreshed ally and losing another one to her support if you want her to keep up or have any bonus defense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mistaya posted:

After meeting Owain I must say no one but The Vaike could have possibly been that kid's dad
I'm still not entirely sure how Libra and Lissa raised a kid like Owain in my game.

Also Kjelle/Lucina are the best rear end-kicking sisters ever. Aethering/Lunaing everything that's ever existed, and some things that haven't, and outright refusing to take damage from anything. Even mages, since Lucina's been RES-blessed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how Libra and Lissa raised a kid like Owain in my game.

You think that's weird, my Owain's dad is Lon'qu. Yeah, apple fell far from the tree.

I wonder how much text is in this game, because it might look like each parent has unique dialogue for a different kid.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I have Maribelle and Libra spawning Brady. I suppose the personality isn't impossible but drat, poor kid got all the ugly genes in the family.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Am I the only one who sits on the main menu screen just to hear the awesome music?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a deadline I have to meet for the avatar's S rank? I just finished chapter 10 and I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Is there a deadline I have to meet for the avatar's S rank? I just finished chapter 10 and I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.
Only character who gets auto-married is Chrom. That said if your avatar is female and you want her to marry Chrom you might wanna speed it up, female avatar's pretty low on his priority list. If he has a S-Rank then he'll obviously be married to that person but if he doesn't have an S by the cutoff point (Chapter 13) then he'll go with his highest ranked female support, and if two units have the same rank he has a priority list.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Got an email from Amazon saying they have been unable to obtain a copy and I will need to approve waiting for one, otherwise if I don't approve the order will cancel in March. eShop resolve weakening.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Restarted Hard with an Avatar of +SPD/-HP. Makes the early game interesting at the very least! I figure a Seraph Robe and we're in business though. Honestly, Hard seems really twitchy early on. No one is effectively dodging and by Chapter 3, enemies can reliably 2 to 3-shot your guys if you make a mistake. It happens fast!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Restarted Hard with an Avatar of +SPD/-HP. Makes the early game interesting at the very least! I figure a Seraph Robe and we're in business though. Honestly, Hard seems really twitchy early on. No one is effectively dodging and by Chapter 3, enemies can reliably 2 to 3-shot your guys if you make a mistake. It happens fast!

Just wait until you try Lunatic. :getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bum-rushed the last few chapters, but I beat the game (female Avatar, married to Chrom.) Interesting choice in the end, I'll see it as a Male next time around when I actually care about the Children's growths.

Final team was basically Donny wrecking face because he capped out the soonest. Dude's a beast. Never saw Galeforce once.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Sylpher posted:

Got an email from Amazon saying they have been unable to obtain a copy and I will need to approve waiting for one, otherwise if I don't approve the order will cancel in March. eShop resolve weakening.

I have to wonder what the heck happened to cause such a horrendous stock problem. Smells like there'd have to have been some kind of serious defect with the cartridges or something to have this bad of a situation. Hope not though, it'd be even worse to have another SNK Cardfighters Clash.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Tae posted:

Yeah; I agree. I pretty much gave up on using fliers for actual combat around chapter 18 because good god the silver bows and rexcaliburs

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

nftyw posted:

I have to wonder what the heck happened to cause such a horrendous stock problem. Smells like there'd have to have been some kind of serious defect with the cartridges or something to have this bad of a situation. Hope not though, it'd be even worse to have another SNK Cardfighters Clash.

I think more then anything its NOA's noted ignorance of the popularity of Nintendo's RPG series in western markets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Say...after Chrom gets auto-married, can you make him a widower and have someone else swoop in and pick up the pieces? :sympathy:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Sylpher posted:

I got this same e-mail from Amazon about my pre-order, Gamestop by me had 13 pre-orders and no extra copies, but luckily my local Best Buy had it available for in-store pickup so I should have it later today when they open. I haven't had to work this hard to get a game in a while.

Hopefully Nintendo gets some more printed quickly since they've clearly underestimated demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I just cleared Chapter 10 and Hard Mode's looking like a joke right now. My duo of Sully and Frenchman von Ruffles have decided to stop taking damage from arms now that Sully is a Great Knight, Chrom and Robin would be breaking 200 damage a turn if things didn't die well before then and Donny is shaping up to be one hell of a mercenary. Fred and... Uh, bunny lady are no slouches either. Pair your guys up, cap their supports and laugh all the way to the bank.

• Locked thread