Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Fox posted:

I just hope Sly sells. Then maybe Sony could could give us a new platformer series on PS4 that would remind everyone of Crash and Spyro.

It turns out the original Crash Bandicoot sold 6.8 million copies. That's pretty nuts, and makes me wonder what the hell happened to platformers.

It was a combination of the market being over-saturated with them (up until that gen everything was platformers and even in that gen there were a gently caress ton of Mario 64 style 3D platformers) and the demographic changing (by the PS2 gen shooters were common on consoles and the demographics had moved towards them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Platformers are still around. Outside of the heaps and loads of indie games like Super Meat Boy, big franchises like Super Mario Bros. and Rayman are still getting releases. Mario moreso, but Rayman Origins was pretty good, though its sequel is Wii U only.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Soul Glo posted:

Platformers are still around. Outside of the heaps and loads of indie games like Super Meat Boy, big franchises like Super Mario Bros. and Rayman are still getting releases. Mario moreso, but Rayman Origins was pretty good, though its sequel is Wii U only.
I think the big shift was a departure from 3D platformers, going back to side-scrollers (or 3D games using various tricks to emulate side-scrolling controls). Well, that and as already stated, the overall volume dropped because "Generic Game About Generic Stuff" switched to the 3rd person shooter genre as a rule, rather than 3D platformer being the default game type.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Yechezkel posted:

Unless online passes are service files, yes, you'll lose access if you delete the game data.

If EA Sports games still use PSN codes for the online pass, then the pass download should be somewhere in your account's download list under PSN -> Account Management -> Transaction Management of the XMB. Download it again and you'll get online access in the game again.

I think entering in the PSN code on your account again will bring the pass up for quick download.

Deleting the game data prompted me to just re-enter the pass download from my history, so that was simple enough. However, my game still freezes whenever I try to advance a day. Bummer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you tried it while signed out of PSN?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Aphrodite posted:

Have you tried it while signed out of PSN?

Yup. I thought I had it when the little pinwheel loading thing disappeared, but it still locks up and forces a hard reset.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I think Guardians of Middle Earth is the fastest a game has gone from release to free for PS+ (two months). Wonder how the player base is at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

I think Guardians of Middle Earth is the fastest a game has gone from release to free for PS+ (two months). Wonder how the player base is at this point.

It's a MOBA so the answer will always be 'terrible terrible people.'

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's a MOBA so the answer will always be 'terrible terrible people.'

That doesn't really surprise me, though I was thinking more about how many people would still even be playing a console MOBA.

Also the intro cutscene has Gandalf pimp-smacking Gollum with his staff, so I guess it has that going for it?...

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

iastudent posted:

If you are not counting Stacking and Awesomenauts that went straight to free for plus, despite being paid on other consoles at the same time.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

iastudent posted:

Stacking was free the day it released, wasn't it? If I recall it was a special offer and didn't last as long as the other offers, but it was still free day one.

- Oh well. That's what I get for having the tab open too long.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 6, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I forgot about those two. I think Guardians though is still the fastest a retail game has been made free on PS+. You can still find disc copies in Wal-Mart for full price.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress, that's a disc-based game? Why would you ever make a MOBA that costs anything these days?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's actually not on a disk. It's a retail box with a download code slip in it like Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What the gently caress, that's a disc-based game? Why would you ever make a MOBA that costs anything these days?
Its a $15 downloadable but for some reason they also decided to put out a $30 retail version that includes the season pass. Who would even buy something like that?

ratattack
Dec 22, 2005

squeak
I'm having a pretty good time playing Guardians of Middle Earth. If any goons want to play later today, add me Psn ID valleyofdoom

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I know that SingStar probably isn't a goon favorite, but I figured since I bought DJ Hero 2 for the family and it came with a microphone I'd give my sister $20 to buy SingStar songs with the mic we got.

Except the thing is is that that DJ Hero 2 mic doesn't want to work with SingStar. They seem to be content with using the Move camera for now but I'd like to know if I can either get that mic to work or if I just need to buy new ones.

EDIT: Said "gently caress it" and blew $20 on the Pop bundle with two mics for the PS2 which I see can have the songs downloaded and used on the PS3. It's her birthday so yay.

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 7, 2013

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

achillesforever6 posted:

I'll probably pick it up, if its basically the same as the old PS2 games I don't really care because I loved those games and their gameplay, plus the demo was pretty fun. I have missed Sly & The Gang :unsmith: Now Naughty Dog, I know you are busy, but can you eventually make another Jak & Daxter game?

I did some research on the franchise a while back, and Evan Wells essentially said that after Uncharted 3 they toyed with the idea of Jak 4 but they decided the game they brainstormed that they'd want to make was not the game fans want, so they essentially laid the franchise to rest. It's pretty depressing, really. That was my favorite franchise of the PS2. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A package arrived for me today that I thought I'd share (partly as I can't find the Ni No Kuni thread).

And inside we ha-

DRIPPY! Oh god, they forgot to put airholes :negative:.

His eyes are dull and lifeless! I'm too late! :qq:

The book feels like a proper hardcover, though that little dab of glue in the center shiny bit is annoying. Might try and pick it off.

The pages don't feel cheap either. They're smooth and the whole thing has a musty "old book" smell. Granted it's probably from spending a week in the mail, but it's still a nice accidental touch. It's 300 pages long and gives all the same information the in-game one does. It's just a very nice extra to have in your hands (I'd show more pages, but I've only casually glanced through it a little to avoid spoiling myself on anything).

If you're wondering what the symbols on the cover are

Have at it :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 7, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would pay buckets of money for that drippy.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528375

Ni No Kuni thread. Beware of some spoilers are in there as a few people that have now beaten the game.

I'm kind of confused why the packaging for the US WWE is pretty different. The US/NA WWE has a nice flap on the front that has some art and a plastic window that shows the Drippy plush.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scyron posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528375

Ni No Kuni thread. Beware of some spoilers are in there as a few people that have now beaten the game.

I'm kind of confused why the packaging for the US WWE is pretty different. The US/NA WWE has a nice flap on the front that has some art and a plastic window that shows the Drippy plush.

Ah, thank you.

I think it might be because the EU version has a card slip around the WWE box with the game info on the back in five languages (it's a legal requirement for european releases).

The box and card sleeve beside eachother on my messy workbench.

The back of the card sleeve.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
See, I was expecting my NA copy to have French, Spanish and English on it, as Nacmo/Bandai's other games have been shifting towards that labeling.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Scyron posted:

See, I was expecting my NA copy to have French, Spanish and English on it, as Nacmo/Bandai's other games have been shifting towards that labeling.

If a game is sold in Quebec, it has to have French Canadian on it, and a lot of publishers are releasing the same game down in Latin America. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next generation of hardware makes it standard, especially since all three systems will be using blue laser storage, so multiple regions can be packed onto the same disc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Technically they just need the French to display the game.

They can still sell the game if it was preordered.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

SamBishop posted:

If a game is sold in Quebec, it has to have French Canadian on it, and a lot of publishers are releasing the same game down in Latin America. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next generation of hardware makes it standard, especially since all three systems will be using blue laser storage, so multiple regions can be packed onto the same disc.

I only know of EFIGS and EFS, from work, so yeah. Manufacturing just has to be cheaper to print all that crap on one cover, instead of 3 different prints for 1 region.

edit
:siren: Hey guys hilarious comedy show Workaholics plugged God of War Ay-scension, like Canadian ay. :siren: I thought it was a cute product placement. a blocked screen with no footage, and it appeared to be the psn+ mp or a gameplay trailer with the cyclops thing.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 7, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a bummer of a story, high chances that we won't see Just Cause 3 until 2015 on next-gen consoles. :qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, I basically am assuming that for every major franchise at this point. This generation has been eternal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I am totally cool with waiting until 2015 to play a rad rear end version of Just Cause on Orbis.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There have been rumblings about it since like, early 2011 so I was really hoping they'd be able to squeeze it out before the new consoles hit. Each entry in the series has been/is going to be on a completely new platform now which is kind of crazy for a game series.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stare-Out posted:

Here's a bummer of a story, high chances that we won't see Just Cause 3 until 2015 on next-gen consoles. :qq:

But that's a good thing. We'll have a map 2x the size, with even higher quality graphics.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

But that's a good thing. We'll have a map 2x the size, with even higher quality graphics.

Hope they actually put stuff on the map this time, holy Lordy the emptiness in 2 :stare:

Maybe make it online multiplayer too. Like GTA IV's sandbox mode, not some forced death match poo poo.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Green Puddin posted:

Hope they actually put stuff on the map this time, holy Lordy the emptiness in 2 :stare:

Maybe make it online multiplayer too. Like GTA IV's sandbox mode, not some forced death match poo poo.

The emptiness of most of the map was inevitable given its size, but it also meant when you found something awesome like Mount Panay-more or the sakura fields tower with the wubble gun, it gave you an awesome sense of satisfaction. I would actually like to see JC3 be a little smaller and more detailed mind. Maybe we can get some guys to go to greece and check out their oh wait nevermind...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Green Puddin posted:

I really didn't mind the emptiness in 2. It gave a lot of air space so it made planes pretty useful.

I just hope that in a JC3, they have at least 3 big cities (JC2 has that one mega city to the west of the map, I mean 3 just like that)

As long as it has extractions and parachute-grappling and the ability to call in planes/vehicles, the bigness of the map shouldn't be an issue as long as there is plenty of interesting stuff and the environments are fun to be in.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Was anyone else bummed that Rayman Legends was a Wii U exclusive? Because it isn't anymore.

https://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Crowbear posted:

Was anyone else bummed that Rayman Legends was a Wii U exclusive? Because it isn't anymore.

https://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

I am so happy about this that I'm not even sure how to adequately express it. I played the demo on a Wii U in a Gamestop and one of the levels was amazing that it pained me that I'd need a Wii u to get it, especially because that level had no Wii U gimmicks while the other level was basically just there to show the Wii U gimmicks and was terrible.

Now for this to happen to Bayonetta 2, which isn't going to happen because Nintendo is publishing it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Oh drat, they're making a game based off the new Mad Max movie? Awesome :D

As for Just Cause 3, I really hope that they stick to the tropical setting because the environment in that game is beautiful and I'm a sucker for bright blue skies and lots of foliage :3: It was as if the classic Sega had made an open world game and I loved it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That's cool. I'd heard Dave Jaffe was helming the Mad Max game.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

That's cool. I'd heard Dave Jaffe was helming the Mad Max game.

That would certainly be preferable to Avalanche Studios working on the game, since Twisted Metal was great and more car combat from the master of the genre would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Now for this to happen to Bayonetta 2, which isn't going to happen because Nintendo is publishing it.

Sony published the Ghostbusters game in Europe and it still found its way onto the other consoles. Don't totally give up hope yet.

• Locked thread