Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Weird NES problem time!

For some reason, when I hook up my NES through my system selector box, I'll get picture but no sound. However, when I plug it directly into the TV, sound is there and all is well. I know it's not the selector box as I've got my SNES/TG16/Genesis on there and everything's fine. I also know it's not the AV cables or the system itself, as I tested another NES and another set of AV cables, same exact everything. It's a minor inconvenience at best, but seriously the gently caress is going on here. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panic Restaurant posted:

Weird NES problem time!

For some reason, when I hook up my NES through my system selector box, I'll get picture but no sound. However, when I plug it directly into the TV, sound is there and all is well. I know it's not the selector box as I've got my SNES/TG16/Genesis on there and everything's fine. I also know it's not the AV cables or the system itself, as I tested another NES and another set of AV cables, same exact everything. It's a minor inconvenience at best, but seriously the gently caress is going on here. :psyduck:

I've got the same problem. I don't have an answer, but you're not alone.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Likely with how it's wired up the mono audio can't complete the selector circuit for the audio out. Have you tried plugging a random cable in the red port and see if it works then?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Heran Bago posted:

I told him of my rusting Sega 32X hindering me from enjoying Enjoying Chaotix more than 1 out of 10 boots.

I have the same problem. I got my 32X new back when they were being firesaled. Even worse, reseating the ribbon cables didn't help. Tempo works every other time and Chaotix pulls the 1-in-10. It seems very specifically finicky.

I still have never been able to "enjoy" my 32X.

Some day I will replace it, but I wish I could figure out the problem.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

shymog posted:

I have the same problem. I got my 32X new back when they were being firesaled. Even worse, reseating the ribbon cables didn't help. Tempo works every other time and Chaotix pulls the 1-in-10. It seems very specifically finicky.

I still have never been able to "enjoy" my 32X.

Some day I will replace it, but I wish I could figure out the problem.

I had the same problem as well, it turned out the pins were not alligned properly and it just involved shoving a game genie in the cartrige slot to fix everything(the card to the genie is thicker and therefore pulls down the pins in the cartridge slot, many 32X's came manufactured with the slot pins misalligned). Now stuff starts up 100% of the time(unless the cart is dirty). It won't even be finicky if I switch from Genesis to 32X games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 6, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Orange Mage posted:

Also, any Goon recommendations on shmups for Genesis/MegaDrive?

Bit late, but:

M.U.S.H.A.
Thunder Force 2/3/4
Slap Fight
Eliminate Down
Gynoug
Gleylancer
Elemental Master

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

The Orange Mage posted:

Zero Wing is very decent, and not just for timeless intro.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Rrrrrgh!! gently caress you, Cat Man #21! :argh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
:supaburn: Whooo! XRGB Mini arrived! :supaburn:

Let's open her up!

It wasn't secured in this big rear end box? :stare: I'm not sure who to blame, probably Tenso. They say they open up packages to inspect the contents before shipping internationally. But not resecure it?

At least mini itself is packed well. For the record everything is A-OK.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It wasn't secured in this big rear end box? :stare: I'm not sure who to blame, probably Tenso. They say they open up packages to inspect the contents before shipping internationally. But not resecure it?

Is that seriously the packaging? Just loose in a big box? I guess I'll tell people to avoid Tenso then.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So are there any sites that provide English scripts/translations for RPGs written in Japanese? So I have something to look at and read so I can understand what I'm playing.

That and is there some cover archive that kept all the Super Famicom artwork ever? Cover Project is surprisingly barren(I really thought of all things someone would be uploading every single varient of SNES games).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

Is that seriously the packaging? Just loose in a big box? I guess I'll tell people to avoid Tenso then.

My packages from them are always filled with those recyclable air packs. Don't know what happened to that one...

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

WendigoJohnson posted:

So are there any sites that provide English scripts/translations for RPGs written in Japanese? So I have something to look at and read so I can understand what I'm playing.

That and is there some cover archive that kept all the Super Famicom artwork ever? Cover Project is surprisingly barren(I really thought of all things someone would be uploading every single varient of SNES games).

Check GameFAQs. They have a decent selection of Japan-only games with translations. Failing that, just Google "Whatevergame English translation".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Finally the arcade perfect Get Ready man-uses-gun-to-fly experience I've been waiting for.

When you say "arcade perfect", how perfect do you really mean? Space Harrier is seriously one of my all-time favorites, and as far as I've been aware, there's never been a good port of it (with the possible exception of something in the last couple generations that I might have missed.)

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

flyboi posted:

Yeah, I did buy the turbo everdrive w/ sleeve but I think the mega everdrive/sd2snes packages are grossly overpriced for what they offer. The case used with retrogate seems perfect and I hope either/or offer a way to purchase just their case once they have one for the n8. I don't know if you've tried but opening famicom carts is a complete bitch.

I went with the Retrogate case for my SD2SNES as well. It's definitely worth the $15 extra to have a solid, labeled universal case with factory-cut slots for the SD card and usb port.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

Can anyone speak to differences in video quality between an og Famicom modded for composite out and an AV Fami? The price difference is significant between the two systems.

I was reading some threads on nesdev about sound quality on the AV Fami's being worse but who knows!

For what it's worth, I had both an NES2 and AV Famicom RGB modded and they both had identical picture quality. Jailbars were exactly the same between the two. As for audio, it's hard to say because both of mine were stereo modded using this wacky amp board custom made for RGB NES fun, but using that, the audio was slightly superior on the AV Famicom (but only because the mod was made for the AV Famicom). The NES2 had just as good sound, but I noticed a bit more hissing. Also switching it to mono (something no one would ever want to do anyway) kind of muted the sound.

triplexpac posted:

I bought Stunt Race FX as part of a lot, and it's just hilarious to try and play.

People swear you can overclock this game so it runs at a higher framerate; I can't imagine how that's possible, though.

Heran Bago posted:

I helped Miyamotos RGB NES's hack up his Wii n such a way that it could play n64 smash bros levels in brawl. It was really giving him quite an unfair amount of trouble as Wiis can but I went through sending him all the right pointers. So pleased was the generous OP that he offered me help with any retro consoles. I told him of my rusting Sega 32X hindering me from enjoying Enjoying Chaotix more than 1 out of 10 boots. He told me that the thing was no good and he sent me a new one.
[pix]
So thanks so much to Miyamotos RGB NES. You're a nice guy and you make a fine thread. I will think of when Knuckles Chatix boots with ease. Old vs new:

:neckbeard: So glad you got it and it's working great! I was worried it was your Genesis; glad to see my 32x worked for you.
For the record, Heran Bago was cool enough to explain to an ignoramus such as myself how to get N64 and Melee stages into Brawl that were not put into the official version of Brawl. I had read mega-threads on it and still couldn't figure it out but he was ~kind hearted~ enough to go out of his way and help me step by step and I was able to repay him. So folks, randomly give people advice and help on things, they might just replace your broken retro consoles for you.

Tobaccrow posted:

Rrrrrgh!! gently caress you, Cat Man #21! :argh:

Light amount of Goo Gone on a paper towel will get that right out.

Also kind of weird, my dad used to write our names on our NES games (our full first and last names) because there was some dirtbag who lived near us who would break into people's homes and steal stuff. Anyway my brother got a message on Facebook a week ago from some dude like 200 miles away from where we used to live saying "hey I just got your copy of Friday the 13th for the NES! lol".

zenintrude posted:

1. midge
2. zenintrude
3. ACID POLICE
4. Asbrandt
5. Hammond Edgar

:siren: count me in for this! :siren:

And I just sold my PowerPak to get a few extra bucks :negative:

edit: I'm still down for this no matter what but does this Famicom Everdrive use the "good RAM" that does not wear out over time? The PowerPak uses this "good RAM" and it loads super fast and has pretty much infinite writes; I was just curious as to whether or not this would be the case for the Famicom Everdrive. I know the "crappy RAM" was used in the cheaper Everdrive and the SNES Everdrive.

Thank you for this. I am so backed up with stuff I have to mod (figure out why the hell my jtagged 360 simply stopped working, mod an SNES mini for a goon, figure out the perma-fix for the Virtual Boy) that this will be on the back-burner for a while, but thanks a ton again for posting what you did. Glad you got the video interference gone, too!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 6, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Allen Wren posted:

When you say "arcade perfect", how perfect do you really mean? Space Harrier is seriously one of my all-time favorites, and as far as I've been aware, there's never been a good port of it (with the possible exception of something in the last couple generations that I might have missed.)

The only thing really different between the arcade and 32X version that I can tell is that the 32X version is running at a slightly lower resolution due to the 32X/Genesis video out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There are several arcade perfect ports of Space Harrier out there. While the X68000 one isn't entirely perfect it's drat close and the music is quite nice. The first true port after the 32X one was on the Saturn, I think it was part of a compilation in the US but sold separately in Japan along with other games like After Burner, Galaxy Force II, etc. You can also play it on the Dreamcast "Yu Suzuki Game Works" compilation disc. Then there's the PS2 port that's on one of the Japan-only Sega Ages releases (not the updated one we got on the US collection, there's a Space Harrier collection release with the original, Space Harrier II, 3D, the Master System port of the original and the Game Gear port as a bonus), and the Wii Virtual Console Arcade and 3DS eShop versions. Oh, and Shenmue has a great port of it too (it even toggles autocentering on when you use the analog stick), but the music is arranged differently for some reason.

Honorable mention: The GBA Sega Game Gallery port looks pretty good too since the GBA can pull off the sprite scaling from the arcade game, but the screen size is smaller and the music is obviously differently arranged. Also, by default the infinite lives "timer" mode is set on (you get 99 seconds of infinite lives at the beginning of the game, or I think it's the beginning of each stage)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Retro Game Customer Service Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

"I'm pretty sure it's the EPROMs!"

:goonsay:

[edit] Nintendo: All Our Customers Are Idiots

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 6, 2013

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!
It's :toot: battery day :toot:! My tabbed CR2025s and LIR2032s have come in the mail! I've gotten less incompetent with a soldering iron and have actually done some battery replacements without frying anything! gently caress you I'm super excited about this :3:.

So far I've replaced two CR1616s and mounted a CR2032 holder successfully. Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are growing berries again and Chrono Trigger SFC saves again :neckbeard:!.. not that I really needed a working CT SFC but I needed something as a guinea pig. I'm still not ready to take an iron to Earthbound or EVO yet.

I have a nasty cold so my brain is on leave. I won't be getting any battery replacing done today :downs:.

Once income taxes roll around I'm considering doing something incredibly stupid. I used to have Bubble Bobble Part 2 for the NES but due to unfavorable circumstances lost possession of it. I want to get it again. It's a sentimental thing, mostly :sigh: I'd just really love to have it again even if I won't have the box and manual like I used to (battered as they were). Condition isn't an issue but if anyone has recommendations so I don't get ripped off that'd be lovely. The label from my copy of Wild Guns is practically gone but the board is authentic and in excellent shape which is what I care about. I have lots of ugly, ugly cartridges :3:.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just got my shipping notice for the Everdrive N8. Now I need to either get an AV-capable Famicom ( :retrogames: ) or figure out how to mod my NES + pin converter to pass through the extra sound (somewhat less :retrogames: ).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Out of curiosity, why LIR2032 instead of CR2032? I'm pretty certain they won't recharge, and their capacity is far less than a standard CR2032.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This might be a good topic to ask:

Anyone know of any good magazines / indie publications for retro games? There are a lot out there, and I love what I've seen.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

use no-intro set
Thanks, sorry that I missed this advice from before. I got woefully behind on this thread after the last month and ended up posting my problem before catching up. :ohdear:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Anyone know of any good magazines / indie publications for retro games? There are a lot out there, and I love what I've seen.
Retro Gamer from the UK is the only one I can think of. There was also some video magazine of sorts from Segagaga Domain called Retro Core but it mainly focused on Sega import stuff if I remember right.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

The Orange Mage posted:

I really liked Phelios. Terrible digitized voices and all.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I'm interested in the answer here as well, and I'll tack on my own supplemental question: What are some good retro game podcasts? Or maybe even not-so-good retro game podcasts. Podcasts are the only thing to keep me sane at work, so I'm desperate for as much time as can be filled by people talking about things I'm interested in, even if they're not great at it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I am going to be in San Francisco next week and am wondering if there are any good shops I should check out for retro goodness. Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to check out the Musée Mechanique while there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Keyboard Kid posted:

Random Stranger posted:

My packages from them are always filled with those recyclable air packs. Don't know what happened to that one...

My guess as to what happened was that Amazon packed like they do with some games I buy from Amazon US wherein they shrink wrap plastic around the item and invoice to a piece of flat cardboard. Tenso probably cut enough of it away to get the invoice to put the info on the customs form and thought it was fine to leave it as-is. I suppose during shipping it got out of the plastic and that's when it became unsecured. Alternatively, it's probably a warning for next time to use their package consolidation service. :v:

I wasn't too fussed about it because 1) It works and nothing appears broken and 2) I did purchase insurance so had anything been damaged, I'd be covered.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Blah I really want the N8 but am thinking I should wait for the NES version since I don't have a converter. Must...resist...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In researching various topics pertaining to the enhanced sound chips in the disk system, I've discovered that people say it's "inaccurate" (generally too loud) in the both the Famicom AV and Sharp's Twin Famicom system, and only the original Famicom will produce the sound correctly unmodded (but then you have to mod it for AV out anyway).

Hilariously, I discovered this alternate take on the mod for a U.S. front-loading system: http://callanbrown.com/index.php/castlevania-iii-with-full-famicom-audio I'm half-considering this approach for the Everdrive N8, I'm used to external wiring with my 32x anyway.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

fatpat268 posted:

Out of curiosity, why LIR2032 instead of CR2032? I'm pretty certain they won't recharge, and their capacity is far less than a standard CR2032.

Supposedly they will :3: and if they don't, at least they've got the proper tabs so they'll line up properly. It may not be as effective as, say, soldering in a AAA holder and sticking a rechargeable in but there's less chance I'll screw it up. It'll look nicer than breaking the welds and taping a battery in, too. For some reason tape on batteries really bothers me even though they'd only be visible inside of GBC games :confused:.

I'm the same idiot that doesn't want to mod their 2600 but still wants a way to convert its signal to something other than RF using an external converter/ VCR or something :downs:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

triplexpac posted:

Retro Gamer is good, as is scroll.vg.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well if someone here was looking to finish their retro game magazine collection, look no further :stare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRONIC-...=item53f43ab5b8

I'm only missing about three years worth of EGM (1989- mid 1993) at this point...and if I sold it, there's no way I'd ever ask for nearly that much.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

From none to this in a little over a month

I swear I'm done for a while!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm trying to finish a UGC cover for the Genesis Game Genie and try as I might, I can't seem to find a good scan of the cover. I have the Back and the Spine cleaned up pretty well and it's scaled to the proper size of a UGC. So if someone can provide me with a 300dpi scan, I'll post it here when I'm done because I'm certain I'm not the only one who hates having a row of genesis boxes and a lone naked game genie that keeps getting knocked around.

hitze posted:

How expensive was that to amass in terms of importing/shipping charges? Because I'm really tempted to do the same thing and just buy a shitload of Japanese games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 6, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

hitze posted:

Why two DQVs?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Why two DQVs?

One for each ending. :colbert:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I'm trying to finish a UGC cover for the Genesis Game Genie and try as I might, I can't seem to find a good scan of the cover. I have the Back and the Spine cleaned up pretty well and it's scaled to the proper size of a UGC. So if someone can provide me with a 300dpi scan, I'll post it here when I'm done because I'm certain I'm not the only one who hates having a row of genesis boxes and a lone naked game genie that keeps getting knocked around.

How expensive was that to amass in terms of importing/shipping charges? Because I'm really tempted to do the same thing and just buy a shitload of Japanese games.

It was two orders from Japan and a couple from inside the US. Can't remember the totals :haw:

zenintrude posted:

Why two DQVs?

I may or may not have been increasing a bid on one of them by a couple of cents for no real reason and went over the other guys max bid :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

edit: I'm still down for this no matter what but does this Famicom Everdrive use the "good RAM" that does not wear out over time? The PowerPak uses this "good RAM" and it loads super fast and has pretty much infinite writes; I was just curious as to whether or not this would be the case for the Famicom Everdrive. I know the "crappy RAM" was used in the cheaper Everdrive and the SNES Everdrive.

I could be wrong about this but I'm reasonably sure he's using the "good" RAM instead of the Flash Memory in his recent carts and doesn't intend to switch back.

• Locked thread