Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In FFT the single strongest setup I've seen so far is a Priest with Math Skill and a Chantage. CT/4 = hit everything on the battlefield on your first turn with Holy from your 90ish Faith caster wearing something to boost holy damage. If something absorbs holy it just gets cleaned up by the Monks with Two Sword and a 90/10 br/fa setup with blade grasp, or Dark Knight Ramza wielding an Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fungah! posted:

Every character can master every class, yes, but it'd take forever and wouldn't be worth it. Red Mage is an early-game power class, for the first two-thirds or so it's all the benefits of White Mage (except for Esuna) and Black Mage with decent equipment to boot. Once you start getting level four magic, its utility tanks hard, so drop it. Bard's also pretty useful once you get Alluring Air and Romeo's Ballad (a multi-target confuse and a multi-target stun that lasts longer than it takes for an ATB to recharge respectively). Honestly you can more or less choose which classes seem cool to you, other than Berserker there really aren't any trap options.

Red Mage is actually really useful! Early on it's not a problem since as you said they are a White+Black mage, level 4 and 5 White/Black magic isn't THAT useful. Also keeping someone as a Red Mage all game means they'll eventually pick up Dualcast at which point you make them a Summoner. By that point in the game you should have a good collection of summons and Summoner/Dualcast is one of the best combos in the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Without grinding, it's actually relatively late in the game that you'd get Dualcast. At which point you might as well have spent most of the game as something more useful in the meantime, and then spent a few minutes killing Movers instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How good is blue mage/learn in FFV? Starting party is knight/white/black/blue but I dont want to invest in blue if it actually sucks, I'll do monk or something instead.

If !Mix is the best ability in the game, !Blue is in the top 5, easily. Maybe the top 3.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

If !Mix is the best ability in the game, !Blue is in the top 5, easily. Maybe the top 3.

Eh, Mix is overrated. Yes, it'd theoretically let even a weak character beat almost anything given enough time, but unless you're doing a solo run that's never really an issue. When you're working with a full team, Mix just takes way, way too long to buff you up enough to be worth it, not to mention the grinding you need to do to get the rarer ingredients. Having gotten a Chemist in a 4JF, I found Mix to be useful in only a handful of boss fights, and almost not at all otherwise- it's just quicker to kill your enemies than to mix a million potions to make you invincible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

!Mix's power is in its versatility and the absolute fringe poo poo it can cover. Don't have Float and don't have a source of confusion (and don't feel like trying to fish out Tempting Tango) to cheese Catastrophe? Levisalve. Don't have the healing to compensate for Gilgamesh's Death Claw spam? Dragon's Kiss grants immunity. You can even get fringe poo poo like boosted magical power from it, boost the potency of your consumables (Triple Ether, X-Potion, etc), Haste without giving up your accessory slot if you lack !Time access, etc.

It's so powerful because it can do just about anything.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I will admit it was useful for getting Float for Catastrophe and damage floors, and for the occasional potent healing. But it only works in battle, and if you want to apply things like the Death Immunity to your whole team, it take 4 turns. In a game as fast-paced as FFV, that's FOREVER. If you'd had a character attacking for two of those turns instead of applying a buff to one character at a time, the battle would probably already be over. Or it'll be over two rounds after you finished buffing, giving the boss no chance to use the attack again you just spent the entire battle preparing for. And for random battles (90% of your playtime), it's not really good for anything because they're over too quickly. So it's a skillset that gets real use for a couple of bosses, and rarely otherwise. That's just not enough utility for something to get ranked "best skill in the game."

My Chemist's job for most of the game was to hold the Healing Staff.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Schwartzcough posted:

I will admit it was useful for getting Float for Catastrophe and damage floors, and for the occasional potent healing. But it only works in battle, and if you want to apply things like the Death Immunity to your whole team, it take 4 turns. In a game as fast-paced as FFV, that's FOREVER. If you'd had a character attacking for two of those turns instead of applying a buff to one character at a time, the battle would probably already be over. Or it'll be over two rounds after you finished buffing, giving the boss no chance to use the attack again you just spent the entire battle preparing for. And for random battles (90% of your playtime), it's not really good for anything because they're over too quickly. So it's a skillset that gets real use for a couple of bosses, and rarely otherwise. That's just not enough utility for something to get ranked "best skill in the game."

My Chemist's job for most of the game was to hold the Healing Staff.

In the Fiesta my Chemist !Focused really, really hard on the Chicken Knife in her hand (after downing a fraternity's worth of beverages).

As for mixes Resurrection has saved my rear end on soooo many occasions because I'm terrible and this game will still murder you if you stop paying attention for a second. !Mix is insane against bosses, the daily grind I'd rather just murder everything to death.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

level 4 and 5 White/Black magic isn't THAT useful.

What? Level 4 White has Esuna, and level 5 White has Curaga, and level 4 Black has Bio. These are all way better than anything a Red Mage can possibly do.

Red Mage isn't a bad job, the problem is they give it to you too late. You get Red Mage literally almost at the point where it becomes outclassed. Personally I feel Red Mage should've been a wind crystal job and Blue Mage should've been water crystal. That way Red Mage would actually have been really good for a decent stretch of the game, as it is it's useful for about two dungeons and then everything else becomes superior. The only thing Red Mage has going for it is Dualcast, but a) it's only useful when supported by another ability/class and b) it takes so much ABP to master it's better off grinding on Movers in the final dungeon for it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They kinda had to give you the blue mage job that early because otherwise you'd be wrecking yourself if you had missed a spell because you got the job so late.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The water crystal isn't that late, you wouldn't miss out on any blue magic abilities by getting it at the water crystal, and it would give Red Mage a better time to shine. Now making it an earth crystal job, yeah, that'd be ridiculous, but swapping Red and Blue Mage seems like it would really be the best solution.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wouldn't Blue Mage at Water heavily delay getting Frog Song? I can't even think of somewhere other than Walse Tower where I've obtained it.

vv Fair enough. Wasn't even aware you could get Frog Song there.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 4, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Elf Toads can still be encountered in the spot where you get Shiva in Walse Castle, so you could learn Pond's Chorus/Frog Song there after getting the water crystal jobs. The only thing you'd miss out on is being able to turn Garula into a frog.

So yeah, there's nothing that would be missed out on by giving Blue Mage at the water crystal. It also would be kind of neat in that shifting Red Mage to wind in place of Blue would make the wind crystal jobs all jobs you could be in the original Final Fantasy (since Monk is more or less analogous to Blackbelt).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

What? Level 4 White has Esuna, and level 5 White has Curaga, and level 4 Black has Bio. These are all way better than anything a Red Mage can possibly do.

Red Mage isn't a bad job, the problem is they give it to you too late. You get Red Mage literally almost at the point where it becomes outclassed. Personally I feel Red Mage should've been a wind crystal job and Blue Mage should've been water crystal. That way Red Mage would actually have been really good for a decent stretch of the game, as it is it's useful for about two dungeons and then everything else becomes superior. The only thing Red Mage has going for it is Dualcast, but a) it's only useful when supported by another ability/class and b) it takes so much ABP to master it's better off grinding on Movers in the final dungeon for it.

Stats and equip are a big part of it. A white mage has really poor stats and equipment even if you do give them black/summon magic, a Red Mage can equip a lot of stuff, take hits a bit better than both, and you can always make either White or Black a subjob. If you have a guy that mastered Summoner for example I can't think of a reason to not turn him into a Redmage and slap Summon on.

Personally for healing White Wind meant I didn't really need Curaga and Summons and Spellblade basically makes pure black magic irrelevant. I guess instead of Esuna I just had a healthy stock of status curing items. It's FF5 though, you can play it in a lot of different ways!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'd say it's more the equipment than the stats, because the differences are minor (4 points of Agility in the Red Mage's favor, 6 points of Stamina in the White Mage's favor). The more bodies you can put Aegis Shields on, the better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd say it's more the equipment than the stats, because the differences are minor (4 points of Agility in the Red Mage's favor, 6 points of Stamina in the White Mage's favor). The more bodies you can put Aegis Shields on, the better.

Yeah the main thing is that and the fact that Red Mages can equip Rods like summoners and black mages can for the elemental boosts.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

The water crystal isn't that late, you wouldn't miss out on any blue magic abilities by getting it at the water crystal, and it would give Red Mage a better time to shine. Now making it an earth crystal job, yeah, that'd be ridiculous, but swapping Red and Blue Mage seems like it would really be the best solution.

I'm pretty sure it was a designers decision though, figuring out they had made this awesome class that used the monsters own abilities against them and they were unsure at how to get players to play as that class.

If they had replaced the red and blue mage, it'd make sense in terms of making the red mage more viable, but new players would probably not have given the blue mage a time of the day, because they'd be unsure of what it's capabilities were and they already had all their favorite Final Fantasy 1 classes right there.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Kyrosiris posted:

And Stamina is pretty drat pointless unless you plan on using Regen :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Blue, X-Fight, X-Magic would be my top 3 abilities in FF5. The latter two due to mixing with other abilities, including Magic Sword+Dual Wield+X-Fight obliterating everything.

Mix is powerful but it's also going to require that you buy/farm items for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Blue, X-Fight, X-Magic would be my top 3 abilities in FF5. The latter two due to mixing with other abilities, including Magic Sword+Dual Wield+X-Fight obliterating everything.

Mix is powerful but it's also going to require that you buy/farm items for it.

Gotta agree with you and Schwartzcough. Mix is a great ability for cheesing difficult bosses late in the game, but it's annoying to keep using consumables through random battles and outside of Mix the Chemist is a weak class which fights like a White Mage and wears White Mage gear but can't, you know, cast Curaga or Holy.

Mix is theoretically more powerful than something like X-Magic, in its capacity to break or manipulate the game, but to what end? Nothing in it requires you to manipulate character or enemy level to complete.

EDIT: I guess the best way to think of it would be to see the Chemist as the Calculator of FF5; there's no actual reason for a random player in a normal game to use it instead of just spamming special characters' sword attacks, but if you're trying to beat the game at level 3 or do something wildly outside of the game's intended purview it's good for that. In that sense, I get people saying Mix is "powerful", but I think such a thing is weirdly removed from how 95% of people play the game anyway.

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 4, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How good is blue mage/learn in FFV? Starting party is knight/white/black/blue but I dont want to invest in blue if it actually sucks, I'll do monk or something instead.

I was able to beat the final ultimate boss of super hard optional dungeon at level 5 with Blue Magic.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just a quick query, I've noticed the distinct lack of Final Fantasy Tactics on the UK PSN, is there a reason for this or is it just because it was never originally released over here?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Kyoujin posted:

I finally broke down and picked up XIII and XIII-2. Playing through XIII with low expectations and I am pleasantly surprised. It really reminds me of FFX which I loved (non-international sphere grid was just as linear imo) but with a different battle system. I hated it at first, but the paradigm system is pretty great after using it for a bit. I just wish there was a way to switch lead characters during battle to better micromanage. I'm hoping it wont be an issue once the characters unlock more jobs.

I had a similar experience, I bought FF13 last summer and thought it was pretty great. It's the first one since 8 that I've cared to play through to the end and the first one since SNES games that I've really enjoyed (I'm in the minority of fans who didn't like FF9 all that much).

Have 13-2 sitting around too but haven't played it yet.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ross posted:

I had a similar experience, I bought FF13 last summer and thought it was pretty great. It's the first one since 8 that I've cared to play through to the end and the first one since SNES games that I've really enjoyed (I'm in the minority of fans who didn't like FF9 all that much).

Have 13-2 sitting around too but haven't played it yet.

As someone who also really liked 13 and 8 and doesn't like 9, I can tell you that you probably really should play 13-2. I enjoyed it more than 13.

DefenderDT
Jul 2, 2010

What do you mean I'm not popular?
Upon reflection,

I should have checked here first, but there's no harm in posting in this thread after the fact. I'm not too keen on what's been posted in this thread, but I am seeking anyone who has a copy of the Japanese (read : Only) version of Final Fantasy Fables : Chocobo Tales 2.

If you do have a copy, do you think you could find it in your heart to dust it off and play a few pop-up matches with someone over wi-fi?

I only have a handful of days I can be on, thanks to vacation.

My Friend Code is #356908879892

And I'll be online pretty much constantly seeking out matches.

Thank you all in advance!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: I guess the best way to think of it would be to see the Chemist as the Calculator of FF5; there's no actual reason for a random player in a normal game to use it instead of just spamming special characters' sword attacks, but if you're trying to beat the game at level 3 or do something wildly outside of the game's intended purview it's good for that. In that sense, I get people saying Mix is "powerful", but I think such a thing is weirdly removed from how 95% of people play the game anyway.

I'll agree with that. I generally also don't consider random encounters in my considerations for what's powerful and whatnot, so maybe that's where the disconnect is. :)

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
So, anyone got any advice for the final boss of FF3 DS?

All of the bosses leading up to the final boss are, like, super easy, but then the final boss starts throwing out particle beams and everything falls apart. I could probably survive particle beam if it wasn't for how random the order of actions is. Sometimes I get a heal off before particle beam, and sometimes I get it off after when 1 or 2 people have already died. Do I just grind some more until it's less of an issue, or do I just have to get lucky?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

In case anyone is interested, it looks like pretty much all the Final Fantasy games on PSN are half off for two weeks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Schwartzcough posted:

In case anyone is interested, it looks like pretty much all the Final Fantasy games on PSN are half off for two weeks.

Oooh, maybe I should finally get a digital copy of FF8 so I can replay it on my PSP next time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

012 Dissidia is $10 too, as well as FF4 complete on the PSP which is FF4 with high-res sprites and The After Years included.

I liked the first Dissidia and $10 is enough to get me to buy the sequel.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For anyone who hasn't touched Dissidia, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I dislike Nomura design stuff in general, but it works really well for a fan service game like this.

And the game is loaded with fan service. Every item name, every character, the huge variety of music, the stages, everything.

On top of that, Duodecim includes the entire first Dissidia game, so buy that, not the first one!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though fair warning. You will be forced to play Lightning, who drives like a tank stuck in mud that is also on fire and surrounded by gasoline, for longer than it is enjoyable.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So none of the PSP games can be played on the PS3, correct? I might consider playing Dissidia or FFT WotL, but I'm not buying a new game system for them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Schwartzcough posted:

So none of the PSP games can be played on the PS3, correct? I might consider playing Dissidia or FFT WotL, but I'm not buying a new game system for them.

Nope, which is a shame, because I'd also have bought Dissidia and Persona 2 and a bunch of other PSP titles to play on my PS3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They're all playable on the Vita though which I guess is the point :v: You can remap the second stick to different things which is cool. For example in Dissidia on the PSP you use the Dpad to rotate camera and Analog stick to move, if you play it on a Vita you can remap the second analog stick to Dpad so it controls the camera in a way that is not impossible.

Also PSP games look pretty drat good on the Vita

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Scher posted:

So, anyone got any advice for the final boss of FF3 DS?

All of the bosses leading up to the final boss are, like, super easy, but then the final boss starts throwing out particle beams and everything falls apart. I could probably survive particle beam if it wasn't for how random the order of actions is. Sometimes I get a heal off before particle beam, and sometimes I get it off after when 1 or 2 people have already died. Do I just grind some more until it's less of an issue, or do I just have to get lucky?

Like many boss fights, it is somewhat luck-based. You can minimize some of the damage though - taking out the tentacles first is a good idea, as she won't cast Particle Beam till her health gets lower and you don't want random Lightnings popping up when she gets to that phase.

What's your party? I'd recommend a Bard for the fight, as Requiem not only deals tons of damage to both her and the tentacles for a good while (even without any job levels, it deals about 12k to her at full health), but Elegy is one of the few ways I know of that reduces Particle Beam damage. Paeons can also supplment healing (especially since it's guaranteed to go first) and Minne reduces damage from her physical attacks. Alternatively, a high-level Viking also works if your healer can top everyone up between Particle Beams, as with Provoke they can take all the physical attacks instead.

Your healer might also make a difference - Devouts are vastly better at healing than Sages, not only because of their Spirit stat but also because of their better Agility. Even if you'd need to throw out damage for whatever reason, you still should have a few Chocobo's Wraths and White Musks which they can use.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's your party? I'd recommend a Bard for the fight, as Requiem not only deals tons of damage to both her and the tentacles for a good while (even without any job levels, it deals about 12k to her at full health), but Elegy is one of the few ways I know of that reduces Particle Beam damage. Paeons can also supplment healing (especially since it's guaranteed to go first) and Minne reduces damage from her physical attacks. Alternatively, a high-level Viking also works if your healer can top everyone up between Particle Beams, as with Provoke they can take all the physical attacks instead.

Well, it doesn't matter too much now, since I finally managed to beat the fight. I was using a devout, a geomancer, a ninja, and a sage, but a bard sounds like it would have been far more useful than the sage. Anything that would have reduced particle beam damage would have probably been what I needed for a clean fight. As it was, I made it through with one person dead and two people about to die. Thank you for the advice, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Like many boss fights, it is somewhat luck-based.

I really hate this about the game (playing the Android version). As soon as anybody dies in a battle you're hosed, because even if you have raise/phoenix downs the game seems to give the characters their turns based on some magic formula of stats + action taken, and it's impossible to figure out which means every time I try to revive and heal it'll cast heal first :smith:

I pretty much decided to quit playing this tonight, the random encounter rate is stupidly high and there's a point where the game just becomes no fun because the battles are perfunctory and drag on for way too long.

Is Dimensions worth $20? Because I'd rather play something a little more old school if it means encounters go by quicker because there isn't a ton of time wasted on camera movements and transitions.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

1st AD posted:

Is Dimensions worth $20?

Yeah I'd say so far it is. About five hours in and it has a better job system than III, the 5 man party of IV, and with auto battle as an option to power through the non boss fights, it never drags like III did.

I really continue to be impressed by how much time in sinking into this game. Definitely a first for me on a cell phone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
For that PSN sale, I'd recommend picking up FF4 Complete Collection and Dissidia 012. They're both really good deals at $10, and that's my favorite version of FF4 (so far, I guess).

Get FF Tactics if you don't have it already somehow, and look into patching it to get rid of the slowdown. I think you can do it even without custom firmware.