Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Just finished Child of god by Cormac Mccarthy and it is one of the only books I've nearly had to stop reading, just really terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I've only ever owned paperback copies of Lord of the Rings, and I've decided to upgrade to a longer-lasting hardcover version.
But I'm very picky about binding and paper quality, both of which are difficult if not impossible to gauge over the internet.
Does anyone here own either of these versions of LOTR? If so, is the binding sewn or glued? And how is the paper quality, in terms of opacity, thickness, feel, etc? I hate the onionskin paper feel that thicker books sometimes have.

50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition

Three-volume Illustrated Edition

Thanks very much!

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
I own the Three-Volume illustrated version, the paper is pretty thick and completely opaque. I believe the binding is sewn, but I'm not entirely sure on how to spot the difference. I really like the illustrated version (I also own a paperback version of the 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition) because of the beautiful case and art in them. I don't really like how the books are sized though, they're pretty large and personally I'm not really used to reading books of that size.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

AlternatePFG posted:

I own the Three-Volume illustrated version, the paper is pretty thick and completely opaque. I believe the binding is sewn, but I'm not entirely sure on how to spot the difference. I really like the illustrated version (I also own a paperback version of the 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition) because of the beautiful case and art in them. I don't really like how the books are sized though, they're pretty large and personally I'm not really used to reading books of that size.

Does the book being that size have the feel of a Large Print book? Or is the text reasonably sized?

I'm being super anal about this, I know, I'm sorry.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Hatter106 posted:

Does the book being that size have the feel of a Large Print book? Or is the text reasonably sized?

I'm being super anal about this, I know, I'm sorry.

The text is normal sized, it does not have the feel of a large print at all.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm reading Silence of the Lambs right now. I love the movie, it's probably one of the best horror movies ever made. In the book i'm up to Sterling having the moth found in the latest victim examined by the scientists. I's kind of boring honestly because I know everything that's going to happen.

Think I might drop it and read Dominance by Will Lavender.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Has anyone picked up Lawrence Wright's Going Clear yet?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't yet but I definitely will, his New Yorker article about Paul Haggis was fascinating.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
His book on Al-Qaeda and 9/11 (The Looming Tower) was amazing, so I'm definitely interested in his new one.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm interested in it, but it's not officially for sale in Canada because of libel laws. I might order a copy from abroad once the price does down a bit.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What is the origin and purpose of "a novel" being written on book covers?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm not sure of the origin, but these days I think publishers throw that bit on the cover to make sure it's shelved in the fiction section?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What is the origin and purpose of "a novel" being written on book covers?

I suspect it goes all the way back to when novels were new (as in the meaning of the word novel) and the word was displacing the previous word "romance" in the 1600s. That is, to differentiate from the romances, they put "a novel" in the title.

Edit: Yep,

from Wikipedia

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 22, 2013

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Has anyone read this chap? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Plunkett,_18th_Baron_of_Dunsany

He was mentioned in another thread as having influenced Tolkien and Lovecraft and while I'm not expecting quite the same stuff, I'd still like to check him out. His 'Joseph Jorkens' character sounds a lot like Wodehouse's 'Mr. Mulliner' too.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
At what point does 2666 start to pick up the pace? It's well-written and it is a big book, but I'm at page 135 now and I kinda feel like the story should start to be going somewhere soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Octy posted:

Has anyone read this chap? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Plunkett,_18th_Baron_of_Dunsany

He was mentioned in another thread as having influenced Tolkien and Lovecraft and while I'm not expecting quite the same stuff, I'd still like to check him out. His 'Joseph Jorkens' character sounds a lot like Wodehouse's 'Mr. Mulliner' too.

He's brilliant and one of the greatest pre-Tolkien fantasy writers and you should read him. Start here: Idle Days on the Yann.

He's been a big influence on pretty much everyone (Neil Gaiman's Stardust is very much inspired by Dunsany's work).

The problem with him is he's got a pretty affected style that works for him but that other writers sometimes try to imitate with disastrous results.

Here's Ursula K. LeGuin on Dunsany:

quote:

On the map of literature, I see Dunsany as a small, walled city in a desert, with opal walls and spires of bronze, and strange little streets, and a great gate made from a single tooth. The lord of the city is a generous host. It is not on the beaten path, but it is worth visiting.
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL-Review-Joshi-LordDunsany.html

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

At what point does 2666 start to pick up the pace? It's well-written and it is a big book, but I'm at page 135 now and I kinda feel like the story should start to be going somewhere soon.

Things really pick up after the part about the critics ends. That's probably something like 20-30 pages further from the spot you're at.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's brilliant and one of the greatest pre-Tolkien fantasy writers and you should read him. Start here: Idle Days on the Yann.

He's been a big influence on pretty much everyone (Neil Gaiman's Stardust is very much inspired by Dunsany's work).

The problem with him is he's got a pretty affected style that works for him but that other writers sometimes try to imitate with disastrous results.

Here's Ursula K. LeGuin on Dunsany:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL-Review-Joshi-LordDunsany.html

Thanks a lot. On the scale of things he's pretty obscure so I wasn't expecting such a quick reply from soneone who had read him. My uni library has a bunch of his books too.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Octy posted:

Thanks a lot. On the scale of things he's pretty obscure so I wasn't expecting such a quick reply from soneone who had read him. My uni library has a bunch of his books too.

you can also get a bunch of them at Project Gutenberg

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Sacnoth" is all heroic fantasy in ten pages. And le Guin is right on the money there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
When Borders capsized a year ago, I lost access to the nearest bookstore within 50 miles. Yesterday, I made the trek to the Barnes & Noble's on the rich side of the island. First time I'd been in one in over a year and holy poo poo I was like a kid in a candy store.

I love bookstores so much, you can just get lost in 'em and look at... everything! I saw some trashy-rear end middle grade fiction and I was like "oh man I want that!" I've never even read historical fiction and I saw some poo poo about like a confederate soldier looking for a long-forgotten treasure that would turn the tide of the war that was probably incredibly racist and I was like "oh man I want that too!" I had to tell myself "no, stop that, you don't actually want this book" so many times.

I did pick up some cheesy middle-grade fiction and a hardcover compilation of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Got a deal on that fucker, just $15.

Barnes & Noble, put a store in central Maui. You'll actually get sales that way instead of a bunch of looky-loo tourists who'll just go home and buy it there because even books are cheaper on the mainland. We have a great location where a Borders used to be, the mall's just plastering T-Mobile ads on the windows and letting it decay right now.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
You don't have any independent bookstores there? That really sucks, I can do without being near a giant store but I like having a small one near my place so I can order stuff in and look at new titles and etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Wouldn't that be great! I think there's like one, but it's one of those creepy Christian bookstores that refuses to stock satanic literature (i.e., everything). Nobody's willing to front the risk, not that anyone who lives in the residential parts of Maui could afford to do that in the first place. All we have now is Amazon, but that just doesn't compare to going into a bookstore empty-handed and walking out balancing a huge stack of books. I wish I could afford to move to the mainland so bad, haha.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Is there a Tolkien Legendarium thread rolling about here? Do you guys think there would be much interest in one?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Is there a Tolkien Legendarium thread rolling about here? Do you guys think there would be much interest in one?

I just got back into Tolkien in a big way, I would totally read that thread!

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

I just got back into Tolkien in a big way, I would totally read that thread!

I put something together quickly: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532243

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Quick question: I loving adore The Master and Margarita; I think it's currently my favorite book that I've ever read! I've only read the Ginsburg translation, though, which had 12% of the text expurgated. I wanted to read the whole thing. Does anyone recommend any translation in particular? I bought a copy of the Burgin/O'Connor translation, which I've heard the best things about, but I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Has anyone here read Ted Chiang? It's blowing me away how good he is. I read him, and it's like he's read everything I've ever read, and then a bunch of other stuff, too. I mean, I'm sure this is true of any number of authors, but in this case it's a palpable feeling I get while reading him. I don't know how else to explain it.

My reaction after the first page of every story is Man, now this is a premise I can think my teeth into. Every premise is hard sci fi, but... not. I want to say it's hard philosophy, or linguistics, or any number of things, even though of course--I know, I know--hard sci has those things aplenty. Yeah, okay. Fine. But this is different. "Seventy-Two Letters" / "Vanishing Acts" is about semiotics and golums and naming, for example, and like a lot of his other work, the conceit isn't even remotely possible or really all that realistic--it's basically about magic, which of course is always all about naming and the weird power of language to shape reality. The titular story of Stories of Your Life and Others also has some semiotics, though it's more speech act stuff.

I'm most of the way through Stories of Your Life and Others, after stopping for a bit, and there is a lot about free will and determinism in the other stories that makes me really need to go back and read the titular story, considering the conclusion it reaches.

I also need to go buy more of his work. The availability on Amazon is disappointing.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Would anyone be interested in a thread about Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

The Erland posted:

I'm not a Book Barn regular, but I'd certainly read it. I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude and I recently started on Love in the Time of Cholera. Besides, I read an article recently that said he has pretty bad dementia now and may die soon. :smith: I figure we should show some appreciation while he's still alive. Besides, I love his writing style; it feels familiar and pacific, almost avuncular.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about the process of songwriting?

While I was getting my hair cut today, the dude was talking about this book he had long ago that was a series of interviews with different musicians about their songwriting process. He specifically mentioned Stan Ridgway as one of the people it interviewed but I can't find anything on Google.

I want to learn more about how other people go about songwriting because I am finding my "process" falling short of what I want to do. But I don't know what alternatives there are. I just want some ideas :)

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 7, 2013

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

The Erland posted:

If nothing else, it would tempt me to reread One Hundred Years. So yeah, that'd be awesome.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

CloseFriend posted:

Quick question: I loving adore The Master and Margarita; I think it's currently my favorite book that I've ever read! I've only read the Ginsburg translation, though, which had 12% of the text expurgated. I wanted to read the whole thing. Does anyone recommend any translation in particular? I bought a copy of the Burgin/O'Connor translation, which I've heard the best things about, but I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.
The fairly recent P&V translation is by far the best. Reread it--the Ginsburg translation is ancient, unless you have one that's been revised with the text added back in.

If you liked M&M, try Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog, Zamiatin's We, Platonov's Foundation Pit, or something more contemporary with Pelevin's Omon Ra.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Does anyone know if Amazon reworked the Quick Picks on the Gold Box page lately? (Past month or so.) It used to be that they'd always have an extra ~5% off on 6-9 books that made sense based on what I've bought in the past. Lately, it's been an absolutely bizarre assortment of things that I would never buy. Today, it's 5 CDs (I've never bought music from Amazon), Keurig cups (don't have a Keurig), and a pet trimmer (don't have a pet). In the past week, there's been bath & beauty supplies, lawn maintenance chemicals, etc.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Anyone here read Bernard Cornwell? I just finished his latest Saxon chronicles book and i was wondering if there are any other authors like him. Dude can write a battle, for sure.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

OH WORD SON posted:

Anyone here read Bernard Cornwell? I just finished his latest Saxon chronicles book and i was wondering if there are any other authors like him. Dude can write a battle, for sure.

Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey series is pretty similar to Cornwell's Sharpe novels. Hervey is a cavalry officer rather than infantry, and they take place during the Battle of Waterloo and afterwards where Sharpe ends at Waterloo, but other than that they're fairly similar.

Actually, if you haven't read the Sharpe novels I'd recommend those. I actually just bought the first book in the Saxon Chronicles the other day and was planning to start it tonight, so I can't directly compare the two, but I love the Sharpe novels. I bought the chronologically first one, Sharpe's Tiger, without ever having heard of Cornwell or the miniseries or anything before just based off a review on the back cover describing it as "James Bond in 1700s India" which is basically the best way to describe something to me to get me excited for it, and I've been a loyal fan ever since.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Lords of the north owns super hard, enjoy that. I'll pick up sharpes tiger right now.

Thanks!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Erland posted:

Speaking of good ol Gabo, anyone know why none of his books have been made available as e-books yet? I re-read One Hundred Years of Solitude once or twice every year, and I'd kill to have it on my e-reader :(

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hope and vaseline posted:

Speaking of good ol Gabo, anyone know why none of his books have been made available as e-books yet? I re-read One Hundred Years of Solitude once or twice every year, and I'd kill to have it on my e-reader :(

Not to be deliberately antagonistic but if you can read spanish then it's been made available. The article mentions that concerns of the e-book "borderless market" have slowed down the process. I'd also love to read his novels on the kindle; also War and Peace because the last good version I read was too big to comfortably hold in one's hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Where the hell can I buy the paperback version of A Dance of Dragons? Amazon has some weird pre-order thing going and it's confusing as all gently caress.