Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mister Chief posted:

What? Nothing is preventing someone in the EU from licensing the show. You should do it!

Well in this specific case I mean with regard to SAGCCX; basically if you don't work on an episode because it's on Netflix (or Kotaku), there is no (easy) way to get it in Europe, if there is one at all. At least I can import DVD boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't even mind the Kotaku narrator that much. Sure it was silly and over the top but THE WIIIING OF MADOOOLA

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Guys, this is literally going to be getting the DVD releases on a streaming service; producing new content for streaming services is a pretty rare thing and 99.99% a streaming service just puts the DVD release of whatever they have up. This will be a very good thing for everyone.

And FWIW: Netflix is the best option for exposure, Hulu is the most receptive to foreign television shows, and Amazon is the little guy who you might as well use just as an option.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Guys, this is literally going to be getting the DVD releases on a streaming service; producing new content for streaming services is a pretty rare thing and 99.99% a streaming service just puts the DVD release of whatever they have up. This will be a very good thing for everyone.

And FWIW: Netflix is the best option for exposure, Hulu is the most receptive to foreign television shows, and Amazon is the little guy who you might as well use just as an option.
As long as it's wider than just the us I'm game

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
GCCX is already on streaming channels as it is. Right now I can watch several of the episodes from the DVDs on both the Asian Crush and Midnight Pulp channels on my Roku. Obviously those are not as big of a deal as Netflix or whatnot, but it is already happening, and they have been there for at least a few months now.

Also since the post is claiming to be representing Kan, I think it sounds a bit more like they are talking about "new" material, as in stuff not on the DVDs. That is just speculation though, who knows.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 9, 2013

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Mister Chief posted:

Live action dubs are never good unless they're so bad it's good.

Yeah and they need to be old too, like Ultraman or Monkey.

Actually those are the only two live-action Japanese shows I've seen dubs of that I liked.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Random Stranger posted:

Although as someone mentioned it'd mean we'd lose everything but the challenges since that's all the DVD's are, right?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Arcades died in large part because they kept gouging customers and strangling developers' choices (since they had to make sure their games were gougy enough to please the arcade/bar owners) and were generally run by people who had utter contempt for their patrons or the medium of games and would get moody if someone played for more than 3 minutes on a single quarter. Both customers and publishers were more than happy to break free of that system.

They were often dimly lit, overcrowded, unsafe and all-around shady, to boot.

Its quite a bit more complicated than that. Here is an article on the differences between Japan and America and a link to a documentary on indiegogo about it: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/100-yen-documentary/

I do believe that American arcades are geared more towards money vs time but thats not the fault of arcade game makers as you suggest. Arcade owners can set the difficulty of arcade games in the game's menu as well as tweak other options. The Japanese have some equally money-grubbing games out there though, Sonson is notorious for that. So its up to the owner to set how wallet-raping the games can be.

Arcades in America are usually the mall 'Tilt' ones with beat-up cabinets and ticket redemption games and those are dying in favor of 'skill games' like stacker and the kind where you have to fit something into a slot like a key or rod. Even those can be tweaked so that there are delays in stopping. Crane games are well known for grip strength that can be set to only 'grip' once out of many times.

Then you have the Dave and Busters where they charge you out the rear end for food and drinks, and games are set to use those swipe cards. Instead of a balance displayed you have 'credits' so you forget how much you are really spending/losing when you play.

There is also the mini golf/go kart/amusement park places that also have arcades.

Arcades aren't dead in America, they are just crappy.

Arcade machines in bars are a different animal. They are usually designed with the idea of keeping people playing for longer, especially bar-top arcade machines. The bar owner isn't 'moody if someone played for more than 3 minutes on a single quarter' because while he receives some small revenue from the machine (split with the owner of the machine) he want's you to spend your money on drinks while you play. Thats why most bar-top game machines have so many trivia and card games on them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Any particular reason why there's no link to Smart Ball in the OP's list?

E: Also the translation history might be a bit outdated.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Although as someone mentioned it'd mean we'd lose everything but the challenges since that's all the DVD's are, right?

Only in the same sense that you've already lost it. This is just going to be the Retro Game Master DVD's on streaming.

Kanfy posted:

Any particular reason why there's no link to Smart Ball in the OP's list?

E: Also the translation history might be a bit outdated.

I don't know what you're talking about. :v:

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
I think Hulu would be the best choice, you don't need to pay for it to watch it and it would be accessible to more people that way. If they make it Hulu Plus only, then that would be no different than Netflix though. Hulu is usually pretty good, even though their advertising has ramped up significantly since the start of its service,I still watch a few shows there. Most likely they would offer one or two episodes for everyone and then make the rest for Hulu Plus members. Even with one or two episodes being available to everyone, that would definitely boost viewers and exposure.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Hulu is US only though.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hulu sucks as a service. I'd rather see it on Netflix so I could at least watch it without commercials when I pay for the service. Also yes, Hulu is US only, though even if you were to get it on Netflix it'd have to be licensed for your region if you were non-US, which I doubt since this will, no question, be the already-licensed DVD episodes.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
You can't watch the free Hulu option on anything besides a computer either.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

cronox2 posted:

You can't watch the free Hulu option on anything besides a computer either.

And even if you pay, you may not be allowed to watch it on other devices anyways.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 9, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

GidgetNomates posted:

Yeah and they need to be old too, like Ultraman or Monkey.

Actually those are the only two live-action Japanese shows I've seen dubs of that I liked.

4Kids did an Ultraman Tiga dub. I approve of it simply for a scene where they rescue an alien girl and are like "What is she saying?" "It's unlike any language I've heard before!" to her saying (in Japanese) "Umm, help me. You guys are Japanese, right?"

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Live action dubs are never good unless they're so bad it's good.

The one fantastic exception being The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and that's mainly the movie backing it up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jyrque posted:

Being a Finn myself, I remember there being two arcade franchises in Finland: Neo Geo Land and Pelikan. The former closed it doors years ago and Pelikan (now PELIKA) had a few arcades around the country but all of them have been closed to not being profitable.

I remember when the Pelikaani opened in my hometown. The place was SWAMPED for ages and they had all the latest games too. Then after the PlayStation and Saturn came out, business started dropping pretty fast. It was in a prime location as well, right in the heart of the city and next to the (then) bigger movie theater.

There's a general amusement park / adventure land / family outing place in Finland called Puuhamaa and they used to have a huge arcade. The games weren't the latest, but you could play everything as part of your general cover charge. During winters when the place was closed they would break the collection into a couple of pieces and use them to open smaller arcades in a couple of cities. The idea was that you'd pay 20 marks or something at the door, then play to your heart's content. That didn't last long though, RAY put a stop to them using the machines outside the theme park pretty fast.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013
BOY HOWDY I SURE DO LOVE BEING WRONG ABOUT THE GAME CENTER CX DVDS
P.S. I am a worthless pile of human garbage
I would pay money for them not to try bringing the show here.
I don't feel anything good has come of it, other than maybe the USA trip and that episode never fails to embarrass me.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Crane posted:

I don't feel anything good has come of it, other than maybe the USA trip and that episode never fails to embarrass me.

Someone is taking their Clapistan citizenship too seriously. The USA special was just oodles of fun.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I don't know if its taboo to ask this, the OP doesn't say anything about it and the last 10 pages haven't had any mentions of it, so I'll go ahead and risk it.

Are any of the translators right now working on "Mendel's Palace" or is it expected to be translated more later down the line? Thank you.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Mister Crane posted:

Uh, what? Want to explain either of those? If more people watch the show internationally, in short it means they get more money, and the US gets more DVDs/games/merchandise. The USA trip was great (in fact, probably the best episode of the show) and in no way embarrassing so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

I don't know if its taboo to ask this, the OP doesn't say anything about it and the last 10 pages haven't had any mentions of it, so I'll go ahead and risk it.

Are any of the translators right now working on "Mendel's Palace" or is it expected to be translated more later down the line? Thank you.

I'm not going to snap at you for asking but zari-gani tends to be the only translator who says what she's working on. Because of the possibilities of delays or dropped projects I don't like to get into the specifics of which episodes are being worked on. In the past week we've got a situation where an episode has been put off a bit, for example.

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

mooty dollars :3
Nap Ghost
As a non American i found the USA episode fun and put America in a positive light i didnt see anything to be embarrassed about, i was a bit disappointed that the Super Nintendo cart for DOOM didnt work. it was a real missed opportunity considering it is DOOM after all.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Mr Cow posted:

As a non American i found the USA episode fun and put America in a positive light i didnt see anything to be embarrassed about, i was a bit disappointed that the Super Nintendo cart for DOOM didnt work. it was a real missed opportunity considering it is DOOM after all.

I was satisfied with how they portrayed us Americans, too. I mean, all I could think of was "Yup, that's how I expected us to be like to Arino"(in a good way), and he treated us way nicer than how he usually treats arcades in Japan, even. I mean, that could possibly be because fans on the inside knew beforehand of his visit, but that's still nothing but more good press for GCCX.

And you didn't miss much with the DOOM cart not working. The SNES port was terrible, only slightly better than Wolfenstein 3D.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
As stated previously in the thread, it wasn't the cart that was defective, the monitor was just too old to be able to output the special resolution the game uses.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Aku posted:

I was satisfied with how they portrayed us Americans, too. I mean, all I could think of was "Yup, that's how I expected us to be like to Arino"(in a good way), and he treated us way nicer than how he usually treats arcades in Japan, even. I mean, that could possibly be because fans on the inside knew beforehand of his visit, but that's still nothing but more good press for GCCX.

And you didn't miss much with the DOOM cart not working. The SNES port was terrible, only slightly better than Wolfenstein 3D.

I thought the SNES port was the best console one? Or at least it was the only one that did the music properly.

I've seen an episode of this here and there, but I binged through a bunch when I saw Yoshi's Island was posted. It's incredibly charming and Arino is just the cutest sometimes, especially around kids. Have his kids ever been on the show?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In the opening, what is the game right above Super Mario Bros. on the left side? It's the one with the orange cave looking palette.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

In the opening, what is the game right above Super Mario Bros. on the left side? It's the one with the orange cave looking palette.

Spelunker.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Fooley posted:

I thought the SNES port was the best console one? Or at least it was the only one that did the music properly.

I've seen an episode of this here and there, but I binged through a bunch when I saw Yoshi's Island was posted. It's incredibly charming and Arino is just the cutest sometimes, especially around kids. Have his kids ever been on the show?

The SNES version had the worst graphics, and overall felt slower than the other ports in my opinion. The 32X and Jaguar played better, but you're right that the SNES beat them both out in terms of music.

His kids have never been shown as far as I know, but his wife was(or possibly still is) a TV personality so she's had media exposure. His kids did send him letters through the show, though.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Aku posted:

The SNES version had the worst graphics, and overall felt slower than the other ports in my opinion. The 32X and Jaguar played better, but you're right that the SNES beat them both out in terms of music.

That's literally the only good thing anyone has ever said about the 32x port of Doom.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

Uh, what? Want to explain either of those? If more people watch the show internationally, in short it means they get more money, and the US gets more DVDs/games/merchandise. The USA trip was great (in fact, probably the best episode of the show) and in no way embarrassing so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Yeah I didn't really understand it either,but I just ignored it as a troll attempt along with the fact his join date was yesterday. The USA trip was my favorite, I wish he would pay another visit, I bet there would be more than double or triple the amount of people he saw the first time. I don't know why,but I really want him to play The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game(number 2 on NES)

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

Keyboard Kid posted:

In terms of the dvds being successful all I see is that leading to more dubbing. A dvd set with a horrible dub was successful so that's what they think they should to do again, dub it. As said earlier, this would also mean SA fan subs stopping and the already subbed episodes becoming hard to find. And the EXTRA subs on the dvd aren't near as good as the fan subs either due to the limitations of dvd subtitles or because the just didn't feel they were that important. As for more games, I don't want to see that either if it means they're going to dub Arino's Challenge 2 like they did the first one. And I don't see why they haven't made other merchandise available to US/overseas fans because I imagine it would be so much easier than having to go through the amount of trouble the dvds take and also wouldn't be nearly as easy to screw up.

And I said the USA was one of the only good things to come of it. Yes, there are plenty of good parts to the episode.
But good god, the only competent Americans it felt like they met were the Museum owner and the dude he played Metal Slug with.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mister Crane posted:

In terms of the dvds being successful all I see is that leading to more dubbing. A dvd set with a horrible dub was successful so that's what they think they should to do again, dub it. As said earlier, this would also mean SA fan subs stopping and the already subbed episodes becoming hard to find. And the EXTRA subs on the dvd aren't near as good as the fan subs either due to the limitations of dvd subtitles or because the just didn't feel they were that important. As for more games, I don't want to see that either if it means they're going to dub Arino's Challenge 2 like they did the first one. And I don't see why they haven't made other merchandise available to US/overseas fans because I imagine it would be so much easier than having to go through the amount of trouble the dvds take and also wouldn't be nearly as easy to screw up.

And I said the USA was one of the only good things to come of it. Yes, there are plenty of good parts to the episode.
But good god, the only competent Americans it felt like they met were the Museum owner and the dude he played Metal Slug with.

The only reason the DVD included dubbed episodes is because Kotaku already had them finished. Youll notice the newer episodes dont include dubs, because Discotek found the dubs unimportant, not the subs. Also did you know that they went out of their way to hire someone who knows what shes doing to retanslate everything, Zari-gani?

As dumb as it sounds, dubbing a game, even something with so little voice as the RGC games have been proven to improve sales. Of course they will spend the little time and money making a new voice track to ensure a boost in sales.

Also, of course they never released the merchandise outside of Japan. What would you expect?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 10, 2013

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Silentman0 posted:

That's literally the only good thing anyone has ever said about the 32x port of Doom.

I hated the SNES port THAT much. I never said 32X was good, I'd just rather play that version even with all of its faults.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

The only reason the DVD included dubbed episodes is because Kotaku already had them finished. Youll notice the newer episodes dont include dubs, because Discotek found the dubs unimportant, not the subs.
If they don't find them important why'd they include them at all, let alone making it the default option?

Gutcruncher posted:

Also did you know that they went out of their way to hire someone who knows what shes doing to retanslate everything, Zari-gani?
As an extra option in lower quality than the fan subs.

Gutcruncher posted:

Also, of course they never released the merchandise outside of Japan. What would you expect?
They made an overseas specific dvd set, but making already existing merchandise available overseas is what you think is more difficult?

Gutcruncher posted:

As dumb as it sounds, dubbing a game, even something with so little voice as the RGC games have been proven to improve sales. Of course they will spend the little time and money making a new voice track to ensure a boost in sales.
And that worked so well for Arino's Challenge, didn't it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mister Crane posted:

If they don't find them important why'd they include them at all, let alone making it the default option?

Because making English the default option on a bilingual DVD is something that almost every American DVD that has ever existed in the history of forever does.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Because making English the default option on a bilingual DVD is something that almost every American DVD that has ever existed in the history of forever does.
Except for MOST of Diskotek's dvds.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Please stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mister Crane posted:

As an extra option in lower quality than the fan subs.

Zari-Gani, for the most part, is* the fan subs, at a much higher quality than they used to be before SAGCCX became a thing.

Mister Crane posted:

And that worked so well for Arino's Challenge, didn't it.

I can guarantee you the reason Retro Game Challenge didn't sell well is not that it didn't include the Japanese voice track and was thus shunned by a small (very small) portion of the already small GCCX fanbase overseas.

*I know SAGCCX consists of more people than just her, but complaining that her work is worse than the fansubs is :psyduck: is hell.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 10, 2013