Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Should I have my avatar hook up with Cordelia, Anna, or Cherche? This is my first playthrough so I'm not super interested in Eugenics power gaming, just which ones are more interesting/funny. I'm kinda leaning towards Anna since she doesn't have kids otherwise, but the Rank C with cherche was pretty enjoyable. I just recruited Chrom's daughter if that matters.

Well that sort of depends. They're all pretty funny, but Cordelia's is a little melodramatic and over the top and Anna's really isn't anything special until the S support. I'd probably go with Cherche out of those choices.

Anna's S rank is by far the best single support out of all of those choices though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
Having Cordelia marry anyone results in an ill-tempered brat. Granted, an ill-tempered brat who can kill everything and was part of my final chapter party, but still. I don't know where the terrible personality comes from.

If your Avatar marries Cordelia, you'll also get a neat kid to balance things out.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So Gerome ended up becoming the Haar of my game and is an unstoppable doom machine but he's such a dickhead to everyone. I've gotten him A supports with his parents, Morgan(F) and Nah and I'd like to marry him to somebody but I can't see a wedding out of those two options. Maybe I'll stick him with Severa who is the only one I seriously eugenics'd and they kinda deserve each other, (Ground Cordy up to Galeforce, married her to Hero DONNEL, and Severa at base level is stronger than half the team.)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

So I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I picked this one up since the series was always interesting to me. Is making my asset Skill and flaw Resistance a horrible idea?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RME posted:

So I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I picked this one up since the series was always interesting to me. Is making my asset Skill and flaw Resistance a horrible idea?

Nah. it's what I did and my Avatar wrecks faces. (I play Hard Casual.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Resistance is pretty useful, but your flaw stat isn't non-existent or anything. I had Health as my flaw and it's around 35 when I promoted.

Cake Attack posted:

Also, Cordelia not having a support with Chrom, is like many things in Awakening, a callback. She's supposed to be like Catria from 1/3, who was in love with Marth, but never ends up with him. (Because a different Peg. Knight ends up marrying him, just like how Sumia is Chrom's "canon" wife.)

I know, but I felt it was weird that they had no supports.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RME posted:

Pretty much anything can work, except maybe having Speed or Health as your flaw.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, there are a couple like that. Tharja proposes to Donnel for example. It's also pretty hilarious.

Also, Cordelia not having a support with Chrom, is like many things in Awakening, a callback. She's supposed to be like Catria from 1/3, who was in love with Marth, but never ends up with him. (Because a different Peg. Knight ends up marrying him, just like how Sumia is Chrom's "canon" wife.)

Ironically, there was some creators notes/sketches of Cordelia that indicated she was supposed to be Lucina's mom based on appearance and authors note

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

I know, but I felt it was weird that they had no supports.

I feel pretty bad for Cordelia in general. The mission where she joins up makes her sound like she's about to have a PTSD-induced breakdown as she starts crying about how she can hear the screams of her dying comrades. Anyone deserves to have a little bit of a brighter future if they survive that sort of crap :sigh:

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
What support conversation talks about why Thaja is obsessed with stalking the Avatar again? It wasn't brought up in their support, which was rather hilarous in a :stare: way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Undead Unicorn posted:

What support conversation talks about why Thaja is obsessed with stalking the Avatar again? It wasn't brought up in their support, which was rather hilarous in a :stare: way.

Gaius's support conversation with her (which is hilarious) implies (or outright says? can't remember) that she wants his hair for a love potion/curse/hex/MAGIC.

As for why the Avatar, I guess that's covered in a different conversation?

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Undead Unicorn posted:

She brings it up, she saw him or her on the battlefield and got fixated. Its sort of implied Massive Endgame spoilers This is because the Avatar is basically evil!Jesus to the Plegian/Grima cult and she's part of that.

Her C support with Frederick is amazing in examining this by the way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I DESPERATELY need to know who is the most prim/proper/serious or scaredy-cat of all the kids, because that guy or gal needs to have Henry as a father pronto.
Also, an interesting detail I noticed, which I guess might hint at the origins of My Unit: MU and Henry are wearing very similar types of coats, with the eye pattern on the sleeves and everything

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I DESPERATELY need to know who is the most prim/proper/serious or scaredy-cat of all the kids, because that guy or gal needs to have Henry as a father pronto.
Also, an interesting detail I noticed, which I guess might hint at the origins of My Unit: MU and Henry are wearing very similar types of coats, with the eye pattern on the sleeves and everything

Yarne is the massive scardeycat and Henry/Panne's support is pretty cool!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Henry/Tharja would explain a lot of things why their kid is a nervous wreck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

That would be either Panne's or Tharja's child.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tae posted:

Henry/Tharja would explain a lot of things why their kid is a nervous wreck.

Gerome's super serious, right? I mean, a guy fighting around in black armor and wearing a batman mask can't be light-hearted at all. I'm picturing him having Henry as a dad and going UGH DAD every time Henry does one of his uh, dad jokes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, Owain, is loving amazing, even his map sprite is amazing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I kinda wish chrom would say something about me marrying his daughter from the future

RME posted:

This is what I did and my dude came out ok since you can get a couple res boosting items. I kinda regretted picking skill since I thought that was what determined how many attacks you got but the avatar and his kid getting to activate their killer skills almost every battle more than makes up for it.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So I beat the game, my first Fire emblem beaten :) even through it's on Normal/Casual.

now I need to know

Why in My Units support section can he talk to Stalwart and Emmeryn even through both are dead, do you unlock them somehow?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

So I beat the game, my first Fire emblem beaten :) even through it's on Normal/Casual.

now I need to know

Why in My Units support section can he talk to Stalwart and Emmeryn even through both are dead, do you unlock them somehow?

Yes, you can via Spotpass special missions which are not available yet.

Enjoy a Berry
Apr 21, 2012
Can you pass down Donny's stat gain passive?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Yes

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Enjoy a Berry posted:

Can you pass down Donny's stat gain passive?

Yes, you can. You can pass down ANY skill as long as the character is capable of having children (IE, you can't pass on skills from DLC characters because they can't support). Just make sure that skill is the last active skill before you start the mission to recruit the kid.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Gerome's super serious, right? I mean, a guy fighting around in black armor and wearing a batman mask can't be light-hearted at all. I'm picturing him having Henry as a dad and going UGH DAD every time Henry does one of his uh, dad jokes.

This is why Donnel is the best father for Gerome though. His lame hillbilly routine is enough to set anybody through a emo phase.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 11, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've noticed my reset count going sky high ever since I decided to actually use Chrom for fighting instead of back line supporting. He's such a lovely front line Lord.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

I feel pretty bad for Cordelia in general. The mission where she joins up makes her sound like she's about to have a PTSD-induced breakdown as she starts crying about how she can hear the screams of her dying comrades. Anyone deserves to have a little bit of a brighter future if they survive that sort of crap :sigh:

Well, pairing her with Virion at least gets her a happy ending. I'm sure other people do to, but he's such a gentleman about it. :gbsmith:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I've noticed my reset count going sky high ever since I decided to actually use Chrom for fighting instead of back line supporting. He's such a lovely front line Lord.

In my first playthrough he was quite the opposite what with aethering all the time and destroying everyone. Then came Tharja and we all know how broken vengeance+nosferatu can be.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Somehow Gregor/Nowi is far more mature and understanding than Gregor/Panne. In fact, the latter may be the most childish marriage I have ever read.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Tae posted:

Somehow Gregor/Nowi is far more mature and understanding than Gregor/Panne. In fact, the latter may be the most childish marriage I have ever read.

Well, you know, "the taguel must live" and all that.

Still trying to find a pairing for Nowi that doesn't leave me feeling like a pedophile by extension. I was thinking of Lon'qu because a manakate with Vantage sounds hilarious, but then he's playing house with her and :gonk:. Should've gone with Lon'qu and Tharja, but I'm going at it the other way with Gregor + Tharja > Armsthrift, Vantage, Vengance, Wrath, and Gamble on one super-sorcerer baby.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Rascyc posted:

Mine got gains that were on a level with Roy's (a good Roy, but still Roy) all told, until I fed him a pile of stat gain items.

RoboCicero posted:

Still trying to find a pairing for Nowi that doesn't leave me feeling like a pedophile by extension. I was thinking of Lon'qu because a manakate with Vantage sounds hilarious, but then he's playing house with her and :gonk:. Should've gone with Lon'qu and Tharja, but I'm going at it the other way with Gregor + Tharja > Armsthrift, Vantage, Vengance, Wrath, and Gamble on one super-sorcerer baby.

I don't think Gaius was that bad about it, all told.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Kellem's support with Nowi is actually quite sweet, and I didn't object to it much at all.

Though really that's more Kellem being adorable as gently caress. Pity I didn't use him more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Donnel isn't terrible, and he's mechanically one of the best choices.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm just sort of going with my gut on the pairings for my first run, since I'm only doing Normal. Donny/Nowi was the only one I did for gameplay purposes, but it's a rather adorable set of conversations.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So, optimally, you pair Galeforce people with Chrom/Avatar because they both end up with two kids, giving you double the Galeforcers over any other pairing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

MWhat? Chrom is a fantastic unit. He's easily one of my best first gen characters, and with the exceptional of Kellam the sturdiest by far.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Flame112 posted:

So, optimally, you pair Galeforce people with Chrom/Avatar because they both end up with two kids, giving you double the Galeforcers over any other pairing?

Avatar's daughters get Pegasus Knight regardless, so if you want to maximize Galeforce, you should pair your male Avatar with Sully, Nowi or Tharja.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Flame112 posted:

No, ideally you pair the Avatar, Gaius and Donnel with Tharja, Sully and Nowi. They have female children, and those three guys are the only ones who pass down access to Pegasus Knight and they don't learn it but have daughters. All of Chrom's choices can pass it to his daughter except for Sully, so just avoid her.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Tae posted:

Yeah, they've done surprisingly well with localizing Nowi. Honestly I get the feeling that Sumia is more infantile in some ways than she is with her entire "helpless innocent animal child" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Yeah, they've done surprisingly well with localizing Nowi. Honestly I get the feeling that Sumia is more infantile in some ways than she is with her entire "helpless innocent animal child" thing

I took it as more severe self-esteem issues than helplessness though, and that trait definitely isn't limited to children.

• Locked thread