Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Morgan supposed to inherit two skills from my FeMU, instead of one from Chrom,or is Rightful King something special for that marriage?

e:Cool

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

MWhat? Chrom is a fantastic unit. He's easily one of my best first gen characters, and with the exceptional of Kellam the sturdiest by far.
He has slightly better than average growths in Lord/Great Lord, except for kind of sucking at defense but excelling at luck. Coulped with his middling base stats, he's only slightly better than Sully. The 45% defense growth in particular has pretty much made him a risky gamble to field in front of a pair-up that doesn't boost his defense. Dracoshields also seem to be the most elusive stat up items for me too.

He has the potential to be good, don't get me wrong, but he's pretty fragile even with aether.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

Is Morgan supposed to inherit two skills from my FeMU, instead of one from Chrom,or is Rightful King something special for that marriage?

Chrom's son will always have Rightful King, even if Chrom himself hasn't learned it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pomp posted:

Chrom always passes on Rightful King to male kids and Aether to female kids.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Well drat it, Dark Knight's can't use Dark Magic tomes?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

JackDarko posted:

Nope.

Henry is god drat hilarious, by the way. And Male Avatar/Cherche support is amazing. Oddly enough, the one character I've used at all who I have yet to see a support I liked is my favorite in terms of design - Cordelia. I was planning on pairing her with my Avatar in my first, don't-care-about-eugenics run, but...her support was boring straight through to A, so I didn't bother getting the S, and no one else has managed to break her shell for me.

Maybe I should try her with Henry...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, so I just got a Master Seal from a travelling merchant, and got the Second Seal from the Renown rewards. Kellam, Chrom, and my Avatar are all at or around L15, so I really want to get some reclassing done soon, but those are my only seals (I just finished Chapter 7). Kellam's options look awful for a Knight (though I guess Thief might work to get him some extra speed, even if it would put Gaius out of a job temporarily), as do Chrom's. I'm thinking to just promote Chrom once he hits 20, and toss Kellam my next Master Seal while I reclass the Avatar around a bit. I have absolutely no idea what to make him, though. Too many choices, and I hear Second Seals are kind of rare until a lot later in the game, so I don't want to put him in a class with useless skills. :ohdear:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Olivia is wasted on Henry, sadly.

Edit: The best use for second seals early on is to allow someone to double up on those fast, early levels before promoting. Some good choices are Donny (more like obligatory, really), Frederick if you want him to stop sucking (taking him to 5 great knight for luna first also helps), and anyone with class change options that share their current weapon skill. For example, doubling up on myrmidon and thief with just about anyone will result in a great swordsmaster/assassin.

It is usually a waste of time to switch someone back and forth between physical and magic classes, with a few exceptions like collecting crit skills for sorcerer or intentionally building toward dark knight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 11, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Avatar should really get the second Master Seal. Rally Spectrum just makes everything so much easier for your other guys. Second Seals are available by 15-16 which is middle of the game.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Only Sorcerors/Dark Mages can, and the Avatar's children if you pair him with Aversa, which can't be done yet since that spotpass hasn't been released yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Edit: The best use for second seals early on is to allow someone to double up on those fast, early levels before promoting. Some good choices are Donny (more like obligatory, really), Frederick if you want him to stop sucking (taking him to 5 great knight for luna first also helps), and anyone with class change options that share their current weapon skill. For example, doubling up on myrmidon and thief with just about anyone will result in a great swordsmaster/assassin.

I was considering saving it for Donny, but he's only L6 right now and I was hoping to get Underdog before making him a slayer of gods. I have a bunch of people between 7-9 right now, so maybe I'll hit CoY1 and try and get a couple of them up to 10, and then go from there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Artix74 posted:

I was considering saving it for Donny, but he's only L6 right now and I was hoping to get Underdog before making him a slayer of gods. I have a bunch of people between 7-9 right now, so maybe I'll hit CoY1 and try and get a couple of them up to 10, and then go from there.

Underdog isn't really worth it. Donny goes from poo poo to very useful as soon as you change his class, so why go through the extra trouble?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, uh, I just accidentally deleted my backup save and lost about 3 hours of grinding & relationship building... yeah, I think I'm gonna call it a night :smithicide:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My latest Donny just capped his Mercenary stats at level 13. He Change Sealed at level 10 Villager. The dude does not need to waste any more time being babied, and can probably solo on his own (Actually, a level 1 Hero Donny just basically soloed Chapter 11 Lunatic for me).

edit: on the other hand, Sumia would be benched forever if it weren't for eugenics. 12/11 STR-MAG as a 20/4 Dark Flier?! Gain some freakin power, you stupid unit

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 11, 2013

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Underdog is pretty drat good when I got it. I had Donny run right into a mob and he evaded every single attack. I got him up to level 5 hero for sol and he's indestructible now.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
If you lose a character on Normal setting, is there any way to reset the battle as opposed to closing out the software from the Home menu and opening it again?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

beergod posted:

If you lose a character on Normal setting, is there any way to reset the battle as opposed to closing out the software from the Home menu and opening it again?

L+R+Start

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tae posted:

Avatar should really get the second Master Seal. Rally Spectrum just makes everything so much easier for your other guys. Second Seals are available by 15-16 which is middle of the game.

Rally Spectrum is 15 promoted. You have to grind a ton to get it before the second Master Seal. Worthwhile on Lunatic I'm sure, but anywhere else it's an enmormous waste of time (and character slot).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Artix74 posted:

Okay, so I just got a Master Seal from a travelling merchant, and got the Second Seal from the Renown rewards. Kellam, Chrom, and my Avatar are all at or around L15, so I really want to get some reclassing done soon, but those are my only seals (I just finished Chapter 7). Kellam's options look awful for a Knight (though I guess Thief might work to get him some extra speed, even if it would put Gaius out of a job temporarily), as do Chrom's. I'm thinking to just promote Chrom once he hits 20, and toss Kellam my next Master Seal while I reclass the Avatar around a bit. I have absolutely no idea what to make him, though. Too many choices, and I hear Second Seals are kind of rare until a lot later in the game, so I don't want to put him in a class with useless skills. :ohdear:

Changing Kellam to Thief can get you Move+1, which to me sounds fantastic for a general. Possibly promoting him to trickster for Acrobat so he can't be slowed by terrain and you'd have an unstoppable roaming wall, but we're talking two Second Seals and a Master for that trick.

I changed my Avatar to Barbarian and used Despoil (I made my Asset luck) to fund more Master Seals when they became available at the random map merchants. I'll get back to Grandmaster eventually.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lotish posted:

Changing Kellam to Thief can get you Move+1, which to me sounds fantastic for a general. Possibly promoting him to trickster for Acrobat so he can't be slowed by terrain and you'd have an unstoppable roaming wall, but we're talking two Second Seals and a Master for that trick.

That actually sounds like a really good idea, but Kellam is basically the only reliable tank I have right now, and there's no way I'm trusting my dodge tanks to not get hit more than twice on a consistent basis. Decisions, decisions...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

Rally Spectrum is 15 promoted. You have to grind a ton to get it before the second Master Seal. Worthwhile on Lunatic I'm sure, but anywhere else it's an enmormous waste of time (and character slot).

Avatar has Veteran, though, it really doesn't take long for them to hit 15 promoted. Especially since they can more or less solo everything after promotion.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Libra has become one of my favorite units right now. I paired him up with Nowi for reasons unknown, and basically just park him and Donny/Sully next to each other at any choke point, and none shall pass. This game is awesome.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Even with Veteran you're getting <15 xp for a kill from about level 3 or 4 promoted. With the same number of kills you could get the rest of your team a permanent +4 all stats simply through not feeding all your kills to the promoted unit and have one more unit that can actually kill things for you.

Rally Spectrum is a good skill, but it's a complete waste of time to grind for it so early in Hard or Normal modes. Also, promoting straight from your original base class makes you significantly weaker later on to the order of 4-5 points in all stats and 7-8 in hp, and it's very hard to catch up because you gain one level with the same amount of kills that would have gotten you 4-5 levels if you'd reclassed first.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Artix74 posted:

That actually sounds like a really good idea, but Kellam is basically the only reliable tank I have right now, and there's no way I'm trusting my dodge tanks to not get hit more than twice on a consistent basis. Decisions, decisions...

You can get some boots later on and throw it his way if you want.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kellam does lose a ton of defense switching to Thief, but his defense growth is still really good and he gets tanky again pretty fast. Just switch him and have him solo DLC1/Florina a couple times.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Well, you know, "the taguel must live" and all that.

Still trying to find a pairing for Nowi that doesn't leave me feeling like a pedophile by extension. I was thinking of Lon'qu because a manakate with Vantage sounds hilarious, but then he's playing house with her and :gonk:. Should've gone with Lon'qu and Tharja, but I'm going at it the other way with Gregor + Tharja > Armsthrift, Vantage, Vengance, Wrath, and Gamble on one super-sorcerer baby.

I might've mentioned it earlier, but Vaike/Nowi is nice.

She talks about how upset she is that everyone is going to leave her, ie, die, and Vaike promises even after he's wormfood he'll be there for her. :3:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Can Despoil only trigger during your turn?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Strange Quark posted:

I took it as more severe self-esteem issues than helplessness though, and that trait definitely isn't limited to children.

True, but then again I've always been less fond of her anime archetype than the others

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Can Despoil only trigger during your turn?

Yes. Same with Leif's Blade.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Wait what? I'm pretty sure it triggers whenever.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It definitely triggers on counter attacks too.

Artix74 posted:

Characters are normally in the 14-18 band when master seals hit the shops. If you want to keep people on an level playing field, you can aim for that level. I like using early master seals on staff users simply because they pull experience out of thin air.

Silver seals really aren't that late game though so just have fun with it.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 11, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Oh man Amazon, please send me my game!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, sorry, derped on that. I'm pretty sure about Leif's Blade though, because I had Donny with 50+ luck wielding one of those for half the game soloing maps and only getting 1-2 bullions per map.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

Even with Veteran you're getting <15 xp for a kill from about level 3 or 4 promoted. With the same number of kills you could get the rest of your team a permanent +4 all stats simply through not feeding all your kills to the promoted unit and have one more unit that can actually kill things for you.

Rally Spectrum is a good skill, but it's a complete waste of time to grind for it so early in Hard or Normal modes. Also, promoting straight from your original base class makes you significantly weaker later on to the order of 4-5 points in all stats and 7-8 in hp, and it's very hard to catch up because you gain one level with the same amount of kills that would have gotten you 4-5 levels if you'd reclassed first.

I'm not saying you should grind for it early, just that it's significantly faster to get it by promoting before reclassing because reclassing will delay hitting Grandmaster 15 by 20 levels (either secondary class 10, Tactician 10, Grandmaster 15 or secondary class 10, promoted class 10, Grandmaster 15) and unpromoted skills are pretty bad for the most part.

Plus, this game more than any other in the series revolves around having two or three super units just due to every map being a route or defeat boss objective and how broken pair up and nosferatu are.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So when my Vaike hit level 20 I reclassed him into a Barbarian and now he's level 20 so i'm turning him into a Berserker. I fear for what this is going to do to my game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm not saying you should grind for it early

Right, but the post I was responding to was saying that. Rally Spectrum is good, it's just not worth getting early IMO unless you're on Lunatic.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WrightOfWay posted:

Plus, this game more than any other in the series revolves around having two or three super units just due to every map being a route or defeat boss objective and how broken pair up and nosferatu are.
I think it's more the fact that the game really tries to swarm the poo poo out of you as its main source of difficulty.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Because of the thread I decided to give Donnell a chance and finally reclassed him to a mercenary. He's so much of a monster I could swear he says "Blood for the blood god" after he kills something. :black101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Noire :stare:

What have I done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Goddammit Henry I am not undead just for playing a video game at eleven o'clock at night. :argh:

Also Gaius is saying he drew up blueprints for a gingerbread house. :3:

• Locked thread