Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people not really like diesel? I've never really heard of this negative attitude toward diesels but that seems kind of retarded considering diesels are a lot more economic than conventional gas?

With modern petrol engines the difference is only fairly marginal on small cars. On bigger 4wds/vans etc then diesel is clearly still better.

Also none of the diesels can match hybrids city driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We've had a '14 Nissan NV200 in our shop for the past couple of weeks. Sitting alongside a Ford Transit, it seems to be pretty much the same thing. I didn't drive it though, and I didn't get that close of a look at it (all of the badging is taped off except for the hubcaps so it's still intended to be secret even though it was shown at the Chicago auto show).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

Edit: Anyone else seen this thing about Chrysler introducing more basic versions of the SRT models, called "Core", so you get the performance stuff without being forced to also have the additional options if you don't want/need them?

I saw it, the details are not clear right now what it would entail for the US market but I think it was originally brought out for the Australian market 300C because Dodge isn't in Australia, I imagine they could probably bring it out in other markets like that too but I think Britain is the only other market where Chrysler exists alone right? It's Lancia in the rest of Europe. Maybe that's how it's going to work as they turn SRT into a separate brand.

The Australian press release I read said the magnetic adjustable dampers which will be replaced with (presumably stiff performance type) conventional dampers which will save some weight and cost, and which I'm fine with, other than that I'm not sure there really is a whole lot to be taken out. They're not *that* luxurious to begin with and I don't see much point to removing, say, the heated seats or the infotainment touchscreen. The replacement of the 5 speed trans with the new 8 speed will be a pretty big deal.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Throatwarbler posted:

I saw it, the details are not clear right now what it would entail for the US market but I think it was originally brought out for the Australian market 300C because Dodge isn't in Australia, I imagine they could probably bring it out in other markets like that too but I think Britain is the only other market where Chrysler exists alone right? It's Lancia in the rest of Europe. Maybe that's how it's going to work as they turn SRT into a separate brand.

The Australian press release I read said the magnetic adjustable dampers which will be replaced with (presumably stiff performance type) conventional dampers which will save some weight and cost, and which I'm fine with, other than that I'm not sure there really is a whole lot to be taken out. They're not *that* luxurious to begin with and I don't see much point to removing, say, the heated seats or the infotainment touchscreen. The replacement of the 5 speed trans with the new 8 speed will be a pretty big deal.

They have Chyrsler-Jeep-Dodge in Australia, but not the full model line-up. You can currently (afaik) get Chargers retailed in Australia from the dealership, they certainly imported and sold Nitros as well and I've seen Magnums on the road. I don't know if they'll release anything based on a Fiat platform (like the Dart) here though because Alfa Romeo and Fiat are (relatively) well established brands.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

New vans!

fiat Ram Promaster

FWD, 3.6l gas v6 or 3l diesel turbo i4

Good thing it's not a beauty contest. Will america accept a FWD workhorse?

The Transit Connect is FWD, right? Seen plenty of them, I think a lot of people forget any hangups about FWD when they see just how much poo poo you can cram in one and yet have it (I assume) drive nicer than any Econoline or Express or Ram Van in the past 30 years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The full sized Transit is available in FWD too (except for the very largest models)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's true, however Ford is not offering the FWD Transit in the US.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the advantage of RWD in this type of vehicle?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
More weight over the drive wheels in low grip situations?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Throatwarbler posted:

kimbo305 posted:

Makes for some sweet, sweet burnouts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

It doesn't have much rear overhang, and with a fairly front-biased wieght distribution, I think you can probably load the thing all the way up to the specified max payload without affecting the weight distribution much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

You can slide them around when it's slippery.

FWD is in many ways more sensible for a van, why have bits of drivetrain messing up what could be a lower cargo floor?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Transit Connect is FWD, right? Seen plenty of them, I think a lot of people forget any hangups about FWD when they see just how much poo poo you can cram in one and yet have it (I assume) drive nicer than any Econoline or Express or Ram Van in the past 30 years.

The transit connect is in an entirely different weight class though. It's designed more for people who need enclosed volume over weight handling.

RWD is huge when you're hauling, from weight over the drive wheels to being able to turn and accelerate at the same time in low traction. Full size vans are also often used to tow traiers.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
All this talk of RWD platforms and no mention that the new Holden Commodore should be unveiled today? And that it's meant to be in NASCAR?

This is very nearly the worst article in the world but it comes with the first render complete with lots of chrome and what appears to be headlights bigger than my cars front end.

Herald Sun Newspaper posted:

Holden is due to release the first pictures of the new 2013 Commodore in Melbourne today, but we have an exclusive photo illustration of the performance flagship “SS” that will lead the Commodore’s export revival to North America, where it will also race as a Nascar for the first time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/holden-saves-best-for-last-with-final-commodore-loaded-with-new-features/story-e6frf7jo-1226574487030

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The transit connect is in an entirely different weight class though. It's designed more for people who need enclosed volume over weight handling.
Canada Post appears to have completely gone gonzo for the Transit Connect - they're even adding them to their stock photos of posties on their website and flyers. I wonder how cheap they'll be at government auction in a few years.

Pale Ale
Sep 10, 2001

Yeah I know that but do you honestly expect England to even slightly challenge Australia in the finals? They will be demolished.

tobu posted:

All this talk of RWD platforms and no mention that the new Holden Commodore should be unveiled today? And that it's meant to be in NASCAR?

This is very nearly the worst article in the world but it comes with the first render complete with lots of chrome and what appears to be headlights bigger than my cars front end.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/holden-saves-best-for-last-with-final-commodore-loaded-with-new-features/story-e6frf7jo-1226574487030

Stream of launch...starting in 15 minutes - http://www.bit.ly/holdentv

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Canada Post appears to have completely gone gonzo for the Transit Connect - they're even adding them to their stock photos of posties on their website and flyers. I wonder how cheap they'll be at government auction in a few years.

Look at what they're coming from though

These things had a 2.2l iron duke i4 and 3 speed auto. Having a finished vehicle from a major manufacturer that is nearly the same size and probably doubles the fuel economy is huge. I've seen a couple transit connects going through auction and they go loving CHEAP. like 7-8k with 90,000kms

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The new Commodore looks like a freakin Buick Verano :(. Makes sense since that's the Luxury sport I guess.

edit: for context http://www.buick.com/verano-luxury-sedan.html

edit2: everyone at the unveiling seemed very bored.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 10, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

The new Commodore looks like a freakin Buick Verano :(

:siren:CHROME:siren:CHROME:siren:CHROME:siren:

edit: looks a bit Jag XFey to me

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Powershift posted:

I've seen a couple transit connects going through auction and they go loving CHEAP. like 7-8k with 90,000kms

Dang, that's cheap. I want a TC to use as a band van SO BAD, but I think the newer ones are going to be worth the money with the 6spd auto, nicer interior, longer wheelbase option and bigger motor.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

That's drat good looking, although I must say I quite liked the previous generation Commodore too. Bring it over and it should finally bring a credible competitor to the Charger/300C.

"SS" sounds like the dumbest name though. Why not call it the Caprice?

EDIt Have some more pics

I am OK with the HUD.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 10, 2013

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Holy moly that new Commodore is ugly.

Holden just AU'd the Commodore.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
RWD? That will do.
Except GM. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Puddin posted:

Holy moly that new Commodore is ugly.

Holden just AU'd the Commodore.

I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the outgoing model. A lot more grown up and refined.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

These things had a 2.2l iron duke i4 and 3 speed auto. Having a finished vehicle from a major manufacturer that is nearly the same size and probably doubles the fuel economy is huge. I've seen a couple transit connects going through auction and they go loving CHEAP. like 7-8k with 90,000kms

added bonus is that the Transit Connect is made in RHD versions. It's probably pretty trivial for the factory to produce either version, so the posties can still have their curbside drivers seats and it probably doesn't cost any different.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

That's drat good looking, although I must say I quite liked the previous generation Commodore too. Bring it over and it should finally bring a credible competitor to the Charger/300C.

It's still the same generation of Commodore that spawn the Pontiac G8, just with a different front and rear treatments. The doors and roof are carry overs from the VE.

The SS is the V8 sports/performance model of the Commodore (excluding HSV models). The Caprice name is given to the LWB model of the Commodore.

While this will give a short term boost in sales for the Commodore, since it hasn't had a major design since the VE came out in 2006, I doubt if it will reverse the trend of Australian buyers moving away from the Commodore and Falcon and towards SUVs/crossovers.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Throatwarbler posted:

Call it the Impala and the existing Impala the Belair.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Powershift posted:

My mom works for USPS and she complains all the time about the LLVs. Their winter traction is pretty terrible, they have no aircon, and the cabin isn't insulated at all so the heat is pretty much nonexistent in the winter. She cannot wait for a replacement.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am extremely hopeful and looking forward to the new Chevy SS... I hope we'll be able to get HSV/GMPP parts for it :swoon:. Depending on how close the SS is to the Commodore, I wonder if we'll see more rebadged cars running around. I already see quite a few Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTOs around.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I actually really like how that Holden looks. That's a nice car, and RWD too!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

My mom works for USPS and she complains all the time about the LLVs. Their winter traction is pretty terrible, they have no aircon, and the cabin isn't insulated at all so the heat is pretty much nonexistent in the winter. She cannot wait for a replacement.

The replacement arrived decades ago, it's called the internet :smug:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Call it the Impala and the existing Impala the Belair.

More like call it the impala and scrap the existing impala. Chevy has too many models that are crippled and weak out of fear of stepping on one of their other product's toes. The imapala is going to be a $27,000 175hp i4 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $27,000 320hp v6 RWD SS. The v6 impala is going to be a $35,000 300hp v6 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $35,000 400+hp v8 RWD SS. the american SS is probably going to be LS3+ only, and around $40,000.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Powershift posted:

The replacement arrived decades ago, it's called the internet :smug:

More like call it the impala and scrap the existing impala. Chevy has too many models that are crippled and weak out of fear of stepping on one of their other product's toes. The imapala is going to be a $27,000 175hp i4 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $27,000 320hp v6 RWD SS. The v6 impala is going to be a $35,000 300hp v6 FWD shitheap that couldn't exist along side a $35,000 400+hp v8 RWD SS. the american SS is probably going to be LS3+ only, and around $40,000.

The new Impala's should not be called such until they are returned to v8 RWD status. They are not Impalas, they are Impostors.

Of course, I'm the guy considering selling my 96 grand marquis to get an 86 caddy, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

You Am I posted:

It's still the same generation of Commodore that spawn the Pontiac G8, just with a different front and rear treatments. The doors and roof are carry overs from the VE.

The SS is the V8 sports/performance model of the Commodore (excluding HSV models). The Caprice name is given to the LWB model of the Commodore.

While this will give a short term boost in sales for the Commodore, since it hasn't had a major design since the VE came out in 2006, I doubt if it will reverse the trend of Australian buyers moving away from the Commodore and Falcon and towards SUVs/crossovers.

Its already the last commodore to be made :smith:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hollenhammer posted:

Its already the last commodore to be made :smith:

They've said that about every model since at least the VN

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Official press release and images of the Alfa 4C are out: http://www.alfaromeopress.com/press/article/115460

4 m long, 2 m wide, 1.18 m tall, 2.4 m wheelbase (tiny). Less than 4 kg/hp, so 235hp and <940 kg (<2070 lbs)?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a lot more than I thought it would be. I was expecting BRZ money, not Cayman.

Sure looks nice though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

DoLittle posted:

Official press release and images of the Alfa 4C are out: http://www.alfaromeopress.com/press/article/115460

4 m long, 2 m wide, 1.18 m tall, 2.4 m wheelbase (tiny). Less than 4 kg/hp, so 235hp and <940 kg (<2070 lbs)?

Definitel low slung, but as long as my 99 Impreza Outback Sport. Not something I'd call tiny.

It's a lot more than I thought it would be. I was expecting BRZ money, not Cayman.

Sure looks nice though.

Alfa is marketed as a premium brand, doubly so for the US re-introduction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DJ Commie posted:

Alfa is marketed as a premium brand, doubly so for the US re-introduction.

I just think they're going to have trouble with finding the people that have Cayman money buying in this car segment that will divorce themselves from the Porsche badge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sure looks nice though.

With a carbon fibre chassis?

The BRZ/FRS made a lot of compromises to hit the price point it did like steel body pannels, cast iron suspension components. Considering this has elise specs, i'd expect elise prices, so 75k+ in the US minimum.

edit: i'd say the biggest hurdle this car faces it the type of people with the money to buy it remember alfa spider depreciation and quality in the 70s

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alfa has said to expect ~$60k in the US, I saw in the Jalopnik article.