Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Jet Set Radio has dropped to .69p or your countries equivalent. How is it? There's no TA review which is my usual gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Jet Set Radio has dropped to .69p or your countries equivalent. How is it? There's no TA review which is my usual gauge.

There is: http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/03/jet-set-radio-review/
Apparently the controls are bad?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

That's weird. It's not showing up in the app

I think I'll pass then. I was concerned about the controls on a touch screen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you're talking about people who only look at the appstore and download the top rated app and happen to play a game (my parents) then yeah, they're not exactly super invested in iOS gaming. A surprising amount of people I know who don't play games at all did get into stuff like Cut The Rope and Peggle though, so I think there's a distinction between totally casual gamers who don't give a poo poo if they can't play anymore and people who are into "casual" games but still have folders of games on their devices.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eeenmachine posted:

Fishlabs, makers of the super polished high quality premium space trader games Galaxy on Fire ($5.99 at its peak) and Galaxy on Fire 2 ($9.99 at its peak) just slammed their games to free in preparation for their next big thing, a free to play MMO: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Galaxy+on+Fire+2/review.asp?c=24611

Developers' first priorities are to stay in business and that means changing with the market. If there were a market for "premium" higher priced games, you would see a lot of them. I'm sure there is no shortage of developers itching to make those kinds of experiences if they could make money doing it.

It's hard to justify going premium when your competition is doing free-to-play. Then there's the matter of promoting a premium game, other than the free-app-for-a-day stuff ... there's not many effective methods.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think I'll pass then. I was concerned about the controls on a touch screen.

It's unfortunately a classic example of a great game but a not so good port. I'm not sure what control scheme would have worked well for it on iOS, but the virtual buttons/stick scheme as it stands isn't too good.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
JSR Already had some pretty terrible controls on the Dreamcast, so I'm not surprised the iOS controls are bad.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Bummey posted:

And part of the problem is that developers have gotten on their knees and chugged the 99¢ money fountain. They should all go back to prices that make sense for their product. If the app market crashes, it crashes. That's the risk we have to accept.
Developers should do what you want and if that puts them out of business then that's the risk they should take.

Bummey posted:

Mark it on AppShopper, wait two months, download for free. There is little reason to ever pay for an iPhone game.
Oh.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

FreakyZoid posted:

Developers should do what you want and if that puts them out of business then that's the risk they should take.

Oh.

Exactly! Now we're on the same page. :hfive: How long were you saving that gem?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bummey posted:

Exactly! Now we're on the same page. :hfive: How long were you saving that gem?
No, let's not turn it back on him yet - let's dwell on the stupid thing you said for a bit longer.

There is no going back on mobile games, the market is what it is. As your own post shows, people just don't put the dollar value on their pooping game that they do their couch game. Which is probably reasonable. As such, F2P ends up being the best way to monetize pooping games.

That isn't to say there's no market of people willing to pay premium on mobile. There is. The thing is, you'll cap out at a revenue way, way, way below what you would if you embraced F2P. It's a choice indies (like Spiderweb Software / Avernum) can afford to make, maybe, but if you're a big studio like Fishlabs? Or especially if you're beholden to stockholders/investors? You don't have that option.

... though even some big players are still seemingly happy in the freemium space, so I wouldn't say even that will disappear. Even so, I think smaller studios known for quality will come to occupy that space, though probably not with mobile exclusives.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Personally I just want Fishlabs to port the GOF2 expansions to Steam and then bundle it up for me to grab. I've been playing space sim games basically as long as they've existed and doing it on a phone makes me sad. I'll take a rather unexciting "wishes it was Privateer so much" GOF 2 on Steam over iOS any day, and probably cough up a price premium for it.

I played a decent amount of GOF 2 SD, just downloaded HD, can't find a way to port my progress, and just nope. Not on a phone. Maybe if one of you mails me an ipad mini, but until then, mad about control schemes!

e: also seriously Bummey it's real easy to say "well all the developers should just go premium and who cares if the market crashes" if you're not one of the developers who's literal livelihood depends on making money in the app development world. Sure, they'll just toss their jobs under the bus for the sake of ~premium gaming~ ... plus there's always someone who would undercut looking for volume.

I mean yeah, I want to see more games like Arc Squadron, which has a nice, balanced progression without IAP being required(see also: Nimblebit, etc) but I have no illusions those will ever be the majority of the games out there.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 11, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Psion posted:

e: also seriously Bummey it's real easy to say "well all the developers should just go premium and who cares if the market crashes" if you're not one of the developers who's literal livelihood depends on making money in the app development world. Sure, they'll just toss their jobs under the bus for the sake of ~premium gaming~ ... plus there's always someone who would undercut looking for volume.

I mean yeah, I want to see more games like Arc Squadron, which has a nice, balanced progression without IAP being required(see also: Nimblebit, etc) but I have no illusions those will ever be the majority of the games out there.

I'm talking out my rear end, guy. I'll sell out my values (assuming I truly have any values or convictions deep in this blackened husk) to save a buck, no problem. I'm just frustrated with the race to the bottom and yhe mad dash to screw the average consumer in favor of the whales who justify the freemium model.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Bummey posted:

the whales who justify the freemium model.

That's the group of people I'm maddest at. The pathetic shitlords who pump six grand into Clash of Clans are the real source of the problem here.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bummey posted:

I'm talking out my rear end, guy. I'll sell out my values (assuming I truly have any values or convictions deep in this blackened husk) to save a buck, no problem. I'm just frustrated with the race to the bottom and yhe mad dash to screw the average consumer in favor of the whales who justify the freemium model.

What better way to race to the bottom than in a literal racing game?

http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/11/real-racing-3-will-be-free-to-play/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly I think part of the problem may just be that the mobile format simply supports games that lean towards 'casual' far better than it supports in-depth, complex gameplay. Partly because it is on a phone which people are more likely to play while on the toilet or in line at Starbuck's instead of sitting down on the couch for a couple of hours after getting in from work, and partly because the touchscreen interface restricts you to a few simple controls (or a horrible mess of virtual controls).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

eeenmachine posted:

What better way to race to the bottom than in a literal racing game?

http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/11/real-racing-3-will-be-free-to-play/

God I hope they don't go with some bullshit recharge system where you get X amount of free races a day and have to pay for more. That's the worst.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You're confusing casual with scummy. Casual games existed long before this bullshit gameplay limiting did.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Bottom Liner posted:

God I hope they don't go with some bullshit recharge system where you get X amount of free races a day and have to pay for more. That's the worst.

I thought the CSR system was fine if they are going to a freemium model with presumably an energy mechanic. 10 points or so of energy/fuel/dead-dogs or whatever and use one per race, a unit recovers every five-ten minutes or so. They sold the next tier cars for premium currency right now or you could buy them for easily earnable ingame currency when you hit the next tier. It enabled you to play for free for the entire game with you only missing a couple of cars or so and reasonably play whenever you want but still was making six figure $$ for many months from the impatient/rich types.

If you are using the tilt controls that worked so well in the previous RR game then you won't want to be holding the ipad for a massive length of time anyway. If they do go for the "play x races a day!" then yeah, no dice.

As others have said, the chance of "proper" games in the IOS market has long since gone, you will get the odd niche game but the mass market stuff will be 99.9% freemium from now on. The MMO market has gone the same way and I can see a decent chunk of the general PC market doing the same. That's just the way it's gone and all we can hope is that there are still the odd gems out there that don't try and rip us off completely.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Speaking of, goon game Luna Bears just went free. Do our brother/sister a favor and wait for it to go back to dollar because it's so darn cute and good.

http://appshopper.com/games/luna-bears

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

The Hebug posted:

It's tougher at the beginning but I think I broke it this game. First run with the dwarf hero, only upgraded HP +60. Passed level 60 with more HP than I started with.

Some tips:
Killing bosses nets you lantern, map and compass now, which rules.
I think the dagger is the best weapon since it basically results in 33% more damage.
Around level 50 since you should have the lantern, map and compass, just start making beelines for the key and chests.
Quest rewards are very worth the HP.
Different spells start to be useful later in the game. Lightning and weaken are crappy early on but become worth their HP exchange later.
The shield (10% block) and armor (-1 enemy attack) items are awesome, enemy attack scales a lot slower now making armor really powerful. I just picked up the HP ring (+6 HP/floor) which also seems alright, would've been great earlier.

A vampire with fully upgraded Blood Drain is effectively invincible now if you play with any iota of tactics. The last time I played, I had 999 health by floor 45.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

All the iPad-havers in this thread who want a proper game should buy Aquaria if they haven't already.

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
My favorite game on the App Store has to be Temple Runner. I have been playing that on my iPad and when I got an iPhone, I've been playing it on this when I'm bored. Try it out if you haven't.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

A vampire with fully upgraded Blood Drain is effectively invincible now if you play with any iota of tactics. The last time I played, I had 999 health by floor 45.

I got to floor 102 like that, but eventually the enemies start becoming more and more undead and you get random guys with 32 attack.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

theguybro posted:

My favorite game on the App Store has to be Temple Runner. I have been playing that on my iPad and when I got an iPhone, I've been playing it on this when I'm bored. Try it out if you haven't.

Thanks, guy! :waycool:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The iOS Games Megathread: My favorite game on the App Store has to be Temple Runner.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My favorite is Guide for Tiny Wings (Tips and Tricks)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Related question: does a game popping up wanting to send you push notifications color your initial opinion of the game? I'd like to say it doesn't for me, but... I think it does. I immediately mash "no", and if the game is F2P, I immediately assume it'll be a scummy one.

(Yes, I ask because I am literally sitting here, dithering about whether I actually want to make my game do "that." Currently leaning to the "Punch Quest didn't, so I won't either" side of things.)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Shalinor posted:

Related question: does a game popping up wanting to send you push notifications color your initial opinion of the game? I'd like to say it doesn't for me, but... I think it does. I immediately mash "no", and if the game is F2P, I immediately assume it'll be a scummy one.

(Yes, I ask because I am literally sitting here, dithering about whether I actually want to make my game do "that." Currently leaning to the "Punch Quest didn't, so I won't either" side of things.)

I've come to expect it in freemium games. They all seem to do it now. It doesn't bother me because if I dont like the game I'll delete it off my phone anyway which stops them from sending messages.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Shalinor posted:

I think I turned on my iPad one morning to see about 4-5 notifications from that Pixel People game telling me I should come back to play. It annoyed me enough that I deleted it. However, I think they can work for some freemium games, especially if it's just to let you know certain events have finished (Happy Street crafting etc.)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I instantly mash no and then complain later if I'm not notified of something important. I'll then turn notifications on and complain later when it does alert of something unimportant.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I think games that rely on push notifications for their gameplay are terrible abominations. If you can design a fun game without relying on notifications to drive the user then I guess they're ok. I guess this is like "Your bank has generated $0.01 in interest! Pick it up!" every 5 minutes vs Puzzle Craft.

I assume every single game is the former and don't allow push notifications for anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Push notifications are almost always annoying as hell to me. I'm sure there's a handful of games out there that use them well to tell you about when your trees need watering or whatever the gently caress, but I'll be damned if I can think of any right now.

If it's something I paid for I usually have a little mental groan where I assume I just bought something that's going to be crippled and require me to pay more for it.

If it's something free I usually start from the base assumption that there's going to be an annoying mechanic which will get scammy fast and make me delete it within a couple hours.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

You could have a pop up before asking permission explaining what push notifications would and wouldn't do.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I personally don't care that much but tend to hit "no" regardless, largely because if I don't turn it off then, I'll turn it off as soon as it inevitably bothers me. If your game has push notifications, I'll likely delete it later, since that little alert button does get on my nerves - but that's only after I've stopped playing, so it doesn't actually factor that strongly into your plans.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Shalinor posted:

You know the answer. You don't want to admit it, but you know it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shalinor posted:

Am I right in thinking that the text in the iOS notification cannot be changed? If so would it be possible to instead bring up some kind of splash screen where the game asks you specifically, "Would you like to be notified when you have new widgets available to be crafted?" with a yes/no slider, which then triggers the iOS dialog? I'd be way less suspicious of that popup if 1) I'd summoned it myself and 2) The app had told me specifically what things would cause notifications.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

devilmouse posted:

You know the answer. You don't want to admit it, but you know it.

Basically this. As much as we bitch about it, putting push notes into your game will probably help your bottom line. You could get all moralistic about it, but why bother? I'll just turn them off when I open your game while idiots with money get reminded to play your game.

Your games are cool. Make money with them. The annoyance I feel towards push notifications only happens after you download the game in the first place; it's not hurting your exposure, and I doubt it causes people to immediately quit the app in disgust.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any alert that pops up asking me a yes/no question immediately gets 'no' tapped. Games do not need to send me notifications, and they sure as poo poo don't need to know my location or anything else. :colbert:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Also don't put that horrible LEAVE US A REVIEW pop up in your game either. That's annoying as poo poo and 100% of the time makes me not leave a review purely out of spite. Not that my reviews matter in the first place; it'll get drowned out among the hundreds of BEST APP EVER ⭐ and ADD MY CODE 17LKJ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐non-reviews.

The secret here is that you should put that horrible pop up in your game because it will probably help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I default to instantly tapping "no" unless it's an async multiplayer game.

e:

Bummey posted:

Also don't put that horrible LEAVE US A REVIEW pop up in your game either.

Also this. Your game could be purestrain gold but if it bugs me to vote for it I won't out of spite.

• Locked thread