Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Oren and Fedule,

Do you guys have 2-3 free time translations prepared for every character in advance, or do you do them on the fly once the votes are decided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Wow, Mikan didn't finish last this time! She's movin' on up. ... slowly. :shobon:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Miss Kalle posted:

Wow, Mikan didn't finish last this time! She's movin' on up. ... slowly. :shobon:

Funnily enough, I was gonna say I didn't care to see a Free Time event that consisted of "Ummm... well,.... I like your gift AHH SO SCARED!" over and over, but now that you mention it, maybe she does have an interesting backstory as to how she got like that. Or even if she's a good nurse.

Provided she survives this chapter, yeah, I think I'd vote her next time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Krinkle posted:

But Sonia and Togami are literally tied for 2nd place! Who won!?

My guess is either Togami is unavailable, or Oren will do what he did when there was a tie between Aoi and Fukawa for one of the votes in the first game, and use his rights as a SHSL LPer to choose his preferred one.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mikan's main character trait is that she's painfully anime. I'm definitely confident in this game's ability to develop her a little beyond that, but I kind of suspect that the key elements of her backstory are story-relevant somehow, which would definitely mean her Free Time events would consist mostly of her saying nice things and then cringing for hours on end while Hinata's narration asks the player what her deal even is. Not that Nagito or Togami's Free Time events can really tell us too much either.

Really I'd much rather we palled around with colorful side characters some more, and I'm pulling for Sonia to win her tiebreaker. If we don't start harvesting Coach N's Hope Shards soon I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

slowbeef posted:

Funnily enough, I was gonna say I didn't care to see a Free Time event that consisted of "Ummm... well,.... I like your gift AHH SO SCARED!" over and over, but now that you mention it, maybe she does have an interesting backstory as to how she got like that. Or even if she's a good nurse.

Provided she survives this chapter, yeah, I think I'd vote her next time.

This is pretty much exactly why I voted for her, you don't get that terrified of human interaction without some kind of interesting thing happening in the past.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

njsykora posted:

This is pretty much exactly why I voted for her, you don't get that terrified of human interaction without some kind of interesting thing happening in the past.

Same reasoning. Besides if nothing interesting comes out of it we can remember that for the future. Though we are probably going to have to wait until chapter 2 for our next free time event.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
So, anyone else notice that we never got told what the 'bomb-clock' was for? Guess Monobear doesn't have a time-limit on killings. I'm betting that it might have to do with a countdown to a trial once a murder happens though.

Looks like we're going to be having a Clue style murder. Like in the movie where the lights go out, then come back on and there's a body. Or they wake up and there's one.
I wonder if there's multiple rooms, and how the sleeping arrangements will work.

Also, Nagito having the straws ready doesn't mean he knew that they wouldn't be able to decide on who cleans, it means he knew that the group may need a way to decide on a volunteer for something but he wouldn't know what.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Double date!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Ezzer posted:

Double date!

I don't think the game works that way, even if it makes ties like this easier to deal with.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vyxzuw posted:

Also, Nagito having the straws ready doesn't mean he knew that they wouldn't be able to decide on who cleans, it means he knew that the group may need a way to decide on a volunteer for something but he wouldn't know what.

Perhaps as a SHSL Good Luck-haver, Nagito always carries around some kind of game of chance, so that he can benefit from his luck.

Or maybe he's the murderer. Or maybe it's nothing, and we shouldn't look at it too hard.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Perhaps as a SHSL Good Luck-haver, Nagito always carries around some kind of game of chance, so that he can benefit from his luck.

It'd be interesting if, provided that DR keeps the SHSL Luck thing going (there is a DR3 announced, I seem to recall hearing?), every iteration's "luck" had their own spin to it. Naegi had his strange fortune, but you could also have a person who is actually very lucky or a person who "makes their own luck" (making them more of a SHSL Cheater). I'm not sure what Nagito's deal is, but hopefully the game doesn't rehash the bad luck is actually good luck thing.

"Good Luck" is vague enough, after all

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe Nagito's good luck is specifically that he survives to the end of the game, despite the fact that right now he's walking around with a massive flashing neon "KILL ME" sign on his back. Although what with him going off on his own to fix up the abandoned building and spending the entire game up to now basically being Maizono 2.0, he's almost too obvious to be the first victim. Unless they're deliberately making him look obvious so when he's murdered it's a surprise because he seemed to be too obvious a victim. Unless unless lather rinse repeat this circular logic until the Earth crashes into the sun.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2013

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Or maybe he's the murderer. Or maybe it's nothing, and we shouldn't look at it too hard.

He's a Super High School Level Plot Device.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

He's a Super High School Level Plot Device.

Is that not what SHSL Luck is in the first place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe Nagito's good luck is specifically that he survives to the end of the game, despite the fact that right now he's walking around with a massive flashing neon "KILL ME" sign on his back.

Nagito can't die because he is clearly the heroine of the story.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 11, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nagito can't die because he is clearly the heroine of the story.

Please please tell me you're not actually trying to start this again and I'm just paranoid.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
It's a joke from a DR1 4koma comic. Naegi and Kirigiri discussing the heroine of the story, Kirigiri insist's "it's you, Naegi-kun."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

doomfunk posted:

It's a joke from a DR1 4koma comic. Naegi and Kirigiri discussing the heroine of the story, Kirigiri insist's "it's you, Naegi-kun."

Oh thank goodness. I'd honestly forgotten about that comic.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Nagito doesn't really come off as Heroine though. He seems more like Maizono. Just a support character who seems very important.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012
I'd like to share something I just noticed after reading this last update. As everyone pointed out, it is indeed suspicious that Nagito seems to have set up the situation so he would be put on cleaning duty. To me, this seems incredibly suspicious. (as most have already pointed out in the thread) I also noticed that Hanamura says he's going to be going to set up to cook for the party alone in the lodge. The only other person that's going to be there, is Nagito. I could see this as either being Nagito's setup, working to try and bag himself a murder, or possibly Hanamura could also be a threatening killer, considering that he'll have sharp, and potentially dangerous cooking equipment (knives, fire, etc.) with him, and Nagito won't. You really never know with this game... but I definitely think there's something weird going on with this spontaneous party setup. At first to me it seemed like it might be a way to try and make a plan away from Monobear and Monomi, but as the update went on, it just got more and more suspicious.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

slam5000 posted:

I'd like to share something I just noticed after reading this last update. As everyone pointed out, it is indeed suspicious that Nagito seems to have set up the situation so he would be put on cleaning duty. To me, this seems incredibly suspicious. (as most have already pointed out in the thread) I also noticed that Hanamura says he's going to be going to set up to cook for the party alone in the lodge. The only other person that's going to be there, is Nagito. I could see this as either being Nagito's setup, working to try and bag himself a murder, or possibly Hanamura could also be a threatening killer, considering that he'll have sharp, and potentially dangerous cooking equipment (knives, fire, etc.) with him, and Nagito won't. You really never know with this game... but I definitely think there's something weird going on with this spontaneous party setup. At first to me it seemed like it might be a way to try and make a plan away from Monobear and Monomi, but as the update went on, it just got more and more suspicious.

I don't think he planned it at all. Somebody else could still take one. Honestly, I just think this plays into his SHSL Good Luck. Remember that Naegi had pretty bad luck, but that luck would always turn into something good later. It's noteworthy because it will come up later, but I doubt it's part of a scheme.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything to be cynical about yet.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

slam5000 posted:

Man the only way this setup is suspicious is if you are drunk on high proof metagame from second guessing yourself. So what, Naegi had some straws to draw and he relied on his super high school level good luck in order to guarantee that he'd be alone in the mansion with the cook so that he'd be easily blamed for the guy's murder? Oh man that sure is suspicious and not convoluted and ridiculous. And what exactly is suspicious about Togami, whose spoken motivation is to prevent murders, forcing everybody into a situation where everyone is witness to any possible attack? Doesn't that, upon inspection, actually seem consistent?

It seems like every suspicion going on around here is predicated on this assumption that the game is lying about everything, which is another way of saying that it's based on nothing at all.

e: I mean yeah all my instincts say something's going on, but apart from that feeling I can't think of anything the game has actually presented that's both suspicious and points to anything.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Like I said before, the only thing that hints at any kind of a plot is that Nagito made the lots supposedly before Togami revealed the plan and the need to clean the house arose. It's easily explained by him having the foresight (note: not foreknowledge) to figure that a bunch of teenagers thrown together on an island might have to take care of some moderately disagreeable task that no one wants to do and drawing lots is the fairest way to go about picking the person(s) who will be responsible. Luckily (ho ho) for him, this very sort of thing came up and everyone present agreed to the idea.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This has probably been asked and answered a few times in the past two years but with respect to the chapter links in the first posts are "(Ab)normal days part" for the days that have free time events, while "Abnormal days part" are for when a murder is about to start and you don't get to hang out with people?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Krinkle posted:

This has probably been asked and answered a few times in the past two years but with respect to the chapter links in the first posts are "(Ab)normal days part" for the days that have free time events, while "Abnormal days part" are for when a murder is about to start and you don't get to hang out with people?

Yeah, (Ab)normal refers to the buildup before the murder and free time, while Abnormal is mostly evidence-gathering before the trial begins.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I think that might be the case, since I do remember the title abnormal days, without the parenthesises, having the invesigation portions of the game.

Ninja'd again, damnit.:ninja:

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 12, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mikan reminds me of a worse version of Fukawa from the first game. Does she have an alternate persona? It only stands to reason that it wouldn't be as good as Genocider Syo. Because nothing is as good as Genocider Syo.

So, I really like how Monobear specifically doesn't explain the bomb. :buddy:

Sandgoose
Apr 26, 2010

Mazed posted:

Mikan reminds me of a worse version of Fukawa from the first game. Does she have an alternate persona? It only stands to reason that it wouldn't be as good as Genocider Syo. Because nothing is as good as Genocider Syo.

I think of her more like she's a worse version of Chihiro, Fukawa wasn't crippingly shy as much as completely disgusted by human socializing. And even then that's pretty bad, Chihiro at least managed to genuinely smile and was more proactive in speaking with people a couple of times before the first murder, we should be close to reaching that point here and Mikan has managed to be excited about someone responding to her good morning. :v:

She's one of those characters that I feel needs Free Time events more badly than certain other characters, in a cast of odd characters she looks like she's one of the most odd of them all.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mazed posted:

So, I really like how Monobear specifically doesn't explain the bomb. :buddy:

I hope it's a countdown to a party. That would be hilarious.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
So after reading up until the previous update, I spent all weekend reading the DR1 LP. Wow. What. Wow. Orenronen, you are a beast. The ending got a bit spoiled for me from this thread, but it was still amazingly enjoyable to read. Now I'm even more excited for this thread!

Edit: My bad! Sorry.

Fukawa was definitely my least favorite character from the first game, and Mikan irks me for similar reasons. I think she definitely has potential with her backstory, though.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 12, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

I vote Sonia and Gundam for free time hangouts.

:ssh: Read more carefully. Voting is off-site now.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

fool_of_sound posted:

:ssh: Read more carefully. Voting is off-site now.

Also, closed for this round.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Ahh, I feel dumb, it is right there in plain text. Thanks for being nice about it, though!

I hope Sonia wins the tiebreaker, I think she's interesting. It's clear that she's being influenced by hanging out with "common folk" (the use of hella), and she's excited about cleaning. She's like Togami's counterpart. A similarly important person, but really enjoys trying things that are considered below her.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Mondlicht posted:

Ahh, I feel dumb, it is right there in plain text. Thanks for being nice about it, though!

I hope Sonia wins the tiebreaker, I think she's interesting. It's clear that she's being influenced by hanging out with "common folk" (the use of hella), and she's excited about cleaning. She's like Togami's counterpart. A similarly important person, but really enjoys trying things that are considered below her.

As well as that, we'll probably not learn anything new about Togami, so we should let other characters have their time to shine.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Krinkle posted:

My guess would be that he decides to start off the Princess chain, given what he'd posted earlier in the thread about certain free-time events being unavailable if not started early enough in the game. We've already spoken to Togami, so the smart move for the LP (minimize as much replaying as possible for later free-time revelations, maximize the amount of content available in the main playthrough) would be to go make buddies with Sonia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anoia posted:

I hope it's a countdown to a party. That would be hilarious.

The bomb explodes and it turns out to be full of confetti.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

The bomb explodes and it turns out to be full of confetti.

Turns out it's just a big ball counting down to the new year and all it does is drop. That's why they have to collect those friendship shards. They have to kiss whoever they have the most with when the timer hits zero.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kytrarewn posted:

My guess would be that he decides to start off the Princess chain, given what he'd posted earlier in the thread about certain free-time events being unavailable if not started early enough in the game. We've already spoken to Togami, so the smart move for the LP (minimize as much replaying as possible for later free-time revelations, maximize the amount of content available in the main playthrough) would be to go make buddies with Sonia.

Oh man, I voted for Togami because I figured once we've started doing someone's free-time events, we may as well keep doing theirs to see as much of their little free-time subplot as possible in the time the game allows us to have, but I totally hadn't considered this at all (I guess because it wasn't a factor in DR1).

I'll admit I'm kind of intrigued what Mikan's deal is. There were a bunch of characters in DR1 who basically took an anime trope and turned it up to 11 and then subsequently turned out to not be beholden to the anime trope at all; she definitely seems like one of them. She's taking all the "OOPS I'M SO CLUMSY AND SHY AND TIMID" moe poo poo and making it look like a mental disorder, so I get the sense it's Dangan Ronpa up to its old tricks.

One thing that surprised me about the poll was Akane was dead last. Though I guess that's what happens when you don't say or do anything interesting at all in the most recent update (I seriously forgot she even appeared until I went back to check).

Meanwhile: tumblr lurkers- you are idiots. That better not have been an untagged art spoiler. I hope it was artbook stuff or something. I know it's not as bad as folks saying who dies and who kills 'em but I can't help but think about people who saw Junko in her crown during the DR1 playthrough.
edit: For the record it was about as uninformative as can be and I only remember as much as "it was apparently official art of [DR2 character] doing something and I can't even tell what they were doing or why." Man, I've gotta unfollow more people now.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

One thing that surprised me about the poll was Akane was dead last. Though I guess that's what happens when you don't say or do anything interesting at all in the most recent update (I seriously forgot she even appeared until I went back to check).

My guess is that it's not that Akane isn't a compelling character, but that everything about her seems to be illustrated very clearly. She's an athlete, she loves food, she loves getting in fights, she has no social graces. Of course that's probably all going to be turned on its head at some point, but she's not as conspicuously bizarre as people like Mikan and Nevermind.

Speaking of athletes, I'm getting the same "formal, honorable warrior" vibe from Peko that Sakura had in the first one. Right down to having ironic names -- "Sakura" being extremely feminine, "Peko" sounding really cutesy. Only where Sakura was passionate, Peko's all calm and composed. Sakura turned out to be exceedingly good-hearted, so it makes me wonder if Peko's going to end up being the opposite.

The again, the writers might've even made the similarity deliberate to lead the player on. Man, these games are so much fun to follow.

• Locked thread