Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Stare-Out posted:

Something like Aliens seems so drat easy to turn into a compelling, fun and scary game. The ingredients are all there. Not that I had that much faith in Gearbox as it was, Borderlands 2 was pretty much Borderlands 1.5.

I don't know what you expect from sequels, I found it made both dramatic and subtle improvements to almost every aspect of Borderlands 1, from new classes, more story focus, increased scale, exceptional graphics, fun and functional platforming, and better physics. It's no less of a sequel than God of War 2 or Uncharted 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Borderlands 1 was ok but 2 was a loving blast. I was sad to learn that the rest of Gearbox's games are all so bad.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

Huh that's really weird that she's good at a video game, yet is a woman?? Definitely something strange going on there.

What I meant was she barely plays games, and usually not action ones, and it took forever for me to get the hang of playing FPSs on a console so I felt like it was a difficult thing maybe but I'll try to be more careful in the future with my words I guess

Anyway what I was more concerned about was if anything was weird about that title specifically, for some reason I had it in my head it might behave differently than other titles because it's COD, I dunno. Like I'd fire up copy #2 and it'd be like uhhh this is already in use or something

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

I don't know what you expect from sequels, I found it made both dramatic and subtle improvements to almost every aspect of Borderlands 1, from new classes, more story focus, increased scale, exceptional graphics, fun and functional platforming, and better physics. It's no less of a sequel than God of War 2 or Uncharted 2.
It barely corrected things that were meant to be there in the first game but weren't and everything it added felt really shallow and uninspired to me. On top of everything it managed to be just as boring as the first game was. But maybe that's just me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

It barely corrected things that were meant to be there in the first game but weren't and everything it added felt really shallow and uninspired to me. On top of everything it managed to be just as boring as the first game was. But maybe that's just me.

No, I pretty much agree.

Borderlands, to me, is entirely dependent on whether or not you get a weapon that you really like to use in order to distract you from the fact that the gunplay itself is frankly nothing to write home about. When you get such a weapon, it can be pretty fun. Unfortunately, the random nature of loot combined with the need to upgrade as you progress means this isn't always tenable and it's very easy to end up with weapons that don't click with you but gently caress if anything better is dropping. I've dropped both Borderlands games in the middle due to the boredom this leads to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no such thing as gunplay to write home about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's no such thing as gunplay to write home about.

Oh, I think in some cases there is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're not supposed to actually use guns in that game.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Stare-Out posted:

I don't know what was supposed to be in the first game and wasn't besides something something graphical style, but as far as sequels go the improvements still felt pretty big to me. If the series is boring to you in the first place, I don't think a sequel that follows the same formula will be enjoyable either. That doesn't make it less of a sequel. That's the main point I'm arguing, I don't care if you like it or not.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I think in some cases there is.

Is that a Romanov? Why did I never before notice how hosed up their faces are?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I've been out of the gaming loop for some months now - what are some good PS3 games coming out in the foreseeable future?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

I've been out of the gaming loop for some months now - what are some good PS3 games coming out in the foreseeable future?

Metal Gear Rising is out next week. Demo is available on PSN. All signs point to it being pretty drat good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

What do you consider to be "the foreseeable future"?

Last of Us comes out in May. It's from the makers of the Uncharted series. Looks to be one of the biggest games of the year.

Do they have to be PS3 exclusive?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

This is basically why I canceled my Gamefly subscription.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

notZaar posted:

Is that a Romanov? Why did I never before notice how hosed up their faces are?

I had the exact same thought. Romanovs usually don't give you time to get a good look at them. The constant hail of bullets and explosions and motion blur doesn't help matters. Wouldn't have it any other way though. :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tomb Raider, Injustice and Last of Us are what I have preordered right now.

There's also God of War and Bioshock Infinite coming soon-ish.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crows Turn Off posted:

What do you consider to be "the foreseeable future"?

Last of Us comes out in May. It's from the makers of the Uncharted series. Looks to be one of the biggest games of the year.

Do they have to be PS3 exclusive?

I'm honestly a bit skeptical of last of us after playing the Uncharted games. Seems Naughty Dog has storytelling but the gameplay is usually really boring.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Ahh just bought a replacement Ps3 after all this time with resistance 3 (stupid install bug), uncharted 3, and heavy rain move edition. Are there any cheap move psn games worth getting to play around with the move device?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you like rail shooters, House of the Dead could've been had for real cheap. Not sure what it goes for these days.

Also, get Sports Champions. I dunno if the second one is as good, but it is the best move game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Harlock posted:

Also, get Sports Champions. I dunno if the second one is as good, but it is the best move game.

Seconding this, Sports Champions is both excellent and can be had for like $2 at Gamestop. Also, the best rail shooters on PS Move are House of the Dead 3+4 on PSN. The Shoot and Time Crisis Razing Storm aren't very good, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ohnoitschris posted:

Seconding this, Sports Champions is both excellent and can be had for like $2 at Gamestop.
Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Literally $2. If you own a move, you need to buy it.

I also own The Fight and picked it up on clearance a while back. It was fun for a little while, but ultimately pretty shallow for a fighting game.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Dvlos posted:

Ahh just bought a replacement Ps3 after all this time with resistance 3 (stupid install bug), uncharted 3, and heavy rain move edition. Are there any cheap move psn games worth getting to play around with the move device?

This reminds me! I have like 2 gigs of data that WAS Resistance 3 on my PS3 that I cannot uninstall. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this poo poo? Now it just says it's corrupted data.

Thanks R3 I really liked you, too.

I just want my gigs back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I believe Dead Space Extraction is also on PSN and is probably my favorite rail shooter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I believe Dead Space Extraction is also on PSN and is probably my favorite rail shooter.

Yeah, that one is pretty good and if you're interested in the Dead Space series it acts as a prequel to the first game.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Harlock posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Literally $2. If you own a move, you need to buy it.

I also own The Fight and picked it up on clearance a while back. It was fun for a little while, but ultimately pretty shallow for a fighting game.

I'll pick up Sports Champ ASAP but nothing simple and fun off PSN I take it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dvlos posted:

Tumble is a simple block stacking game that you play with the Move that's pretty fun.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dvlos posted:

Stardrone is a fun game with the Move.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Isn't Killzone mp free on PSN? I played a bit of it with the move and it was interesting.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I keep wanting to play House of the Dead with my Move set but it seems like with reloading suddenly I have to point in a different direction other than the center to aim my gun and it gets frustrating real quick. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There's also God of War and Bioshock Infinite coming soon-ish.

I have to be very careful in what I say here, as Irrational and 2K were exceptionally (and entirely understandably) protective of the game when I did a mock review recently, but I don't think they're going to mind me saying that everyone should keep this one on their radar. I'm literally counting the days until its release - 43 left!

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 12, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So I'm trying to do two things here. First, I'm trying to understand the different in HDMI vs DVI. I have plenty of HDMI cables around, but something interesting has come up - a buddy of mine is looking to sell his 30 inch monitor for relatively cheap (better than dropping a grand like I've seen on Amazon). It's a Dell U3011 with two HDMI ports and two DVI-D ports.

Before I jump in though, I just want to figure something out; I've been reading around a bit on the net and people are saying to stick with HDMI over DVI because most HDTVs and monitors don't go over 1920 x 1080. This monitor actually does go well over that. So, in this case should I buy a HDMI to DVI-D cable to get a better resolution, or will the PS3 not even render past 1920 x 1080 and I should just save my money for the HDMI cables I got laying around? Is there any noticeable differences between the two that I should pick over besides HDMI carrying sound?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HDMI includes audio. The video signal in HDMI and DVI is identical, and both can actually deliver resolutions over 1920x1080 (maybe not the PS3's version of HDMI but it doesn't matter). The PS3 maxes out at 1080p anyway, and actually uses 720p more often too.

Just use HDMI, though do note you will need to use something else for sound.

(Awful app lives up to its name.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 12, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're not quite identical, dual link DVI has more throughput. HDMI won't sync beyond 1080p at 60Hz. That's okay though, because no console is going to output greater than 1080p for the foreseeable future. Just go with HDMI.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ohnoitschris posted:

Time Crisis Razing Storm aren't very good, though.

I got this at Sams Club for $9 (so the price probably isn't repeatable) but with that in mind I love it. And I don't even have a Move. It's the most fun I've had with a rail shooter since Ghost Squad on the Wii.

But then again I'm just a Time Crisis junkie who is pissed I can't play 1, 2, or 3 anymore because the guns don't work on modern TVs.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man I love the Co-Op Adventure games in UC3. It's just a fun little story with an antagonist team that should never have met, let alone work together. The gameplay is also really fun, but man if Hard and Crushing aren't brutal. You really gotta play well to beat those difficulties.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I have a PSN Classics Region related question. Wikipedia says some games are only available in Japan and Europe, and many of these are one's an American such as myself would like to play again. Can I make a foreign account to buy those games? Do they offer English (I'm talking about games that were released world-wide with included English, Ape Escape, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, etc)?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'm playing Read Dead Revolver on PSN and I need component cables. This things is blurry and rear end ugly, even worse than God Hand. I thought it just might've looked that bad on release but a youtube search shows otherwise.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

I have a PSN Classics Region related question. Wikipedia says some games are only available in Japan and Europe, and many of these are one's an American such as myself would like to play again. Can I make a foreign account to buy those games? Do they offer English (I'm talking about games that were released world-wide with included English, Ape Escape, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, etc)?

Yes, but you should know that European games run in PAL video format which reduces their game speed by 17%. Language options vary from game to game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

weird bleep posted:

Yes, but you should know that European games run in PAL video format which reduces their game speed by 17%. Language options vary from game to game.
Most everything I'm eyeing is Japanese (Ape Escape, Front Mission, Ehrgeiz), but google's telling me PSX games are still region locked? Can that be true despite them being digital versions? Is their any easy way to find out what Japanese PSX games support which languages before buying? I imagine I need a PSN card from Play-Asia or some such, right?

e: It might be more worth it to simply pay the extra for physical copies. Japanese PSN cards are already .5 pricier. Thanks for the help.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

rizuhbull posted:

Most everything I'm eyeing is Japanese (Ape Escape, Front Mission, Ehrgeiz), but google's telling me PSX games are still region locked? Can that be true despite them being digital versions?
Digital versions aren't region-locked. It probably refers to disc versions.

• Locked thread