Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

NA TERA website
Don't play on EU. The European publisher is pretty bad and most Goons play on NA anyway. Playing on NA from EU works very well, even in PVP, even with 200 ms ping!

Don't be in channel 1. Don't be in channel 1. Don't be in channel 1.

:frogsiren:Goon Guilds:frogsiren:
There is only one goon guild right now, and that's Dragongod Knightkings. We're on Mount Tyrannas, a PVP server.
Most of us hang out in IRC at irc.synirc.net in #tera
To apply, go 'Guilds on Server' under 'Social' and push button. Put something like 'SA: <name>' in the application field.
If you've been kicked out, that's because the guild is full and you were inactive. Reapply with your SA name and we'll let you back in.
There's also the /v/ guild No Fun Allowed where a bunch of goons including me play. They're usually more active, but DGKK has been a bit less dead since Gunner was released.

What is this game?
TERA is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG made by the Korean developer Bluehole Studios and published by En Masse in NA and Frogster in EU. It's distinguishing feature is its action based combat. Unlike other MMOs such as WoW, Rift or GW2, TERA has a combat system more similar to that of Monster Hunter or Dark Souls.

Combat
Aiming
The basics are simple: move your mouse to put your crosshairs over the thing you want to destroy. When you're aiming at someone, your crosshair reticle changes to a circle as soon as you're close enough to the target to use your long-range skills. Your crosshairs will also show the range to the target, which will help you gauge when to fire off what skills. If you're a twitchy FPS player, you may want to speed up your camera for faster aiming. Easily done: hit O to open the Options dialog, and find the Camera Speed slider under Mouse. Moving the slider left slows the camera's movement down. Moving right speeds it up.

Lock-On Skills
There are skills in TERA that lock onto targets, but it's not as simple as fire and forget. First, you have to get into range. Second, you have to "paint" your targets. To do that, hit the skill button once. That puts you in targeting mode. Then swing your crosshairs over each enemy (or friend; some buffs are lock-ons) to paint them. Valid targets will highlight, and stay highlighted unless they move out of range. Once you've highlighted as many targets as you can, hit the skill button again to fire it off.

Charge-Up Skills
Some skills do more damage or run longer the longer you hold down the skill button. You'll see a charging bar on your screen: green for low power, yellow for high, and red for full blast. On charged skills you can choose how fast your attack will be and how much MP to spend. Be aware that you may not be able to move when charging, and check your skills when you level - some charged skills gain more charge levels or faster movement at higher levels. And remember, your targets may move while you're charging. Practice anticipating where they'll be when you let fly.

Skill Chaining
Skill chains are a way to speed access to your most-used combos. When you fire a skill, you may see another skill icon appear next to your crosshairs. That's a chained skill. You can trigger it just by hitting the spacebar. A chained skill can also have skills chained to it. You can even create loops. This isn't a macro; you still have to aim things, but if you come up with a great combo (attack-snare-evade-stun) you can make it easy to get it off even in the thickest combat. Many skills have their own default chains, but if you prefer different ones, click the Chain skill button at the bottom of your Skills dialog and design your own.

Classes
There are 8 classes in TERA: 2 Healer classes, Priests and Mystics; 1 dedicated Tank class, Lancers; 1 hybrid DPS/Tank class, Warriors; and 4 pure DPS classes, Slayers, Sorcerers, Archers, and Berserkers.

Plate classes
Lancer
A slow block-based tank class, Lancers are generally easier to tank with, though they don't have quite the aggro generation Warriors have. If you just want to tank, roll this class.

Berserkers
Mashing your foe's face in with a huge axe, Berserkers are a quite powerful DPS class with charge-up attacks, slow movement and a block.

Gunner
Blow things the gently caress up. <more words later>

Leather classes
Warrior
Warriors are a very agile, dodging, high attack speed class wielding Twin Swords that can both tank and sustained DPS. They're one of the hardest classes to play, but are also very powerful in the hands of a good player. Evasion skills include Backstab and a dodgeroll, plus they get to block like lancers in tank mode.

Slayer
If you like the idea of wielding a 3 meter greatsword and impaling people on it (while still rolling like you're naked), then Slayer is for you. Most of their attacks are rather slow, though not as slow as Berserker's. Their damage is very bursty, with our main damage skills having a cooldown reset proc and whatnot.

Archer
Being the only ranged leather class, Archers bring a bow and charge-up attacks to battle. They're considered rather good in group PVP, but are a very hard class to play well (which leads to a bad reputation amongst players). The only leather class that can't dodgeroll, only backstep.

Cloth classes
All cloth classes have a backstep, plus Sorcs and Mystics have a teleport.
Sorcerer
Sorcs are a reasonably easy to play class with several nukes and slow attack speed until 48, and burst attacks after that. Generally preferred over Archers, but roll whatever you like.

Priest
Priests bring long-duration buffs and strong heals to the table. Nearly invulnerable in PVP, and are easier to heal with than Mystics.

Mystic
If you want to double the crit rate of party members and bring strong MP regen auras, play a Mystic. They have generally weaker heals, but the auras make up for it. Levelling them is a pain though, so be warned.

Reaper
<words about reapers>

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Oh my god there are 2000 people in queue I won't get in this game sucks
Currently Mount Tyrannas is pretty loaded. If you just want to try the game out, roll a character on one of the less populated servers, then reroll or transfer to MT (note: I have no idea how transfers work, but this is definitely better than waiting in queue for ages)

But I'm special and don't wanna sit in a queue for MT!!
Try to find a boxed copy. It will give you Founder status and one month of Elite subscription. Founder status alone is enough to skip queues completely.

Why is the server lagging so much? I can't play at all.
At specific times (noon and 7PM PST, more below) an event called Nexus starts. Due to the huge amount of 60s returning, the servers are getting extremely overloaded during that and the game becomes nigh unplayable. Not much you can do about that except go do something else for an hour.

What do purple nameplates mean and what's the deal with the red arrow over that dude's head?
If someone is engaged in a Guild vs. Guild war with any other guild, their name becomes purple. And if he's actually a valid target for your guild, then he gets a red arrow.
By Velveteen:
There has been a recent giant rush of goons coming back to the game I've decide to make a FAQ for those who just started or is thinking of starting. I hope it helps!

Q: I don't know what class to play! Is there an OP class I can pick?
A: There is no OP class. The only way to know what you like to play is to try them all out. Every class has their own advantages and disadvantages and their play styles varies greatly. I would advise at least trying them out before committing to one and finding out down the line you don't like them. Lancer and warriors can tank. Archer and sorcerer are ranged dps. Slayer, berserker, and warrior are melee dps. Mystic and priest are healers. There is very little difference in power for these classes so just play what you like.

Q: I picked my class what about races? Do racials make a difference? What about race size and hitbox?
A: Racials make very little difference. They are usually on hour long cooldowns or so insignificant that you never notice them at all. Hitboxes for races are standardized. This means a Baraka and an Elin are equal. Reach differs depending on race but honestly I don't think there is enough of a difference to choose a race on.

Q: Uh those Elins look kinda...
A: Yes we know we don't talk about them here.

Q: How do I play with Goons?
A: There are a lot of us on the PvP server. I'm not sure about the PvE server but for PvP just send an application to DGKK and put in something about being a goon. You can whisper people but just put in an application and someone will accept it when they come online, even if you're offline. You can do that by opening the guilds on server list finding our guild on the list and click send in an application like shown below.

Q: I keep dying! My mana is dry! Help me!
A: Dodge or block! This is an action game don't just stand there. If you are dying you can buy some regen crystals. They're cheap from any specialty or crystal vendor and will help you tremendously while leveling. Mana regeneration crystals can also combat slayer and berserker mana decay. White weapon/armor have two slots while green/blues have three slots and gold weapons have four slots. Remember you are about to switch out or remove crystals when out of combat. Don't forget to take out crystals when upgrading your gear.

Q: A basilisk kicked my butt what happened?
A: That is a BAM. They can be challenging to solo but satisfying when you do. BAMs stand for big rear end monsters and are meant to be tackled in a group. All classes are able to solo them, however some can do them easier than others.

Q: I have this bar under my mana bar whats going on? Why can't I block?
A: Warriors and Lancers get a new bar called Resolve. This will manage how much you can block or dodge.

Q: Some jerk just killed me! I'm a giant carebear and don't like PvP!
A: I'm a carebear too. Outside of low level lumbertown areas there aren't much high levels ganking you. If you are getting picked you can switch to another channel. Most gankers hang around in channel 1 because thats where the majority of the players are. You can do this by selecting the channel in the top right of your screen.

Q: I love PvP! I love stomping faces
A: You'll be glad to know that there are GvG and battlegrounds in this game. GvG occurs when a guild declares war on another guild and you can fight anyone from an opposing guild with no consequences. This usually means lower levels will get camped by high levels. You can gain credits and reputation in battlegrounds to buy gear and other items. You can also go outlaw at anytime letting you kill anyone outside of your own guild.

Q: How do I do a dungeon? Whats the cooldown for them?
A: You can access the dungeon finder by clicking the button by your radar or by opening the LFG button by pressing Y. You are able to choose the instance you want and queue for it by matching you up with random people across servers. For reset timers check here http://support.enmasse.com/tera/how-long-is-the-dungeon-lockout-period

Q: What is this nexus thing I keep hearing about?
A: Nexus is a world event that occurs everyday at noon and 7PM PST. During that time nexus portals will open up around Helkan District and Val Kaeli and monsters spawn out of them. Everyone goes and kill stuff until they are all closed where a raid will open.

Q: What is enchanting gear?
A: You can enchant gear by pressing the T button. Make sure to get off your mount first as it doesn't work when mounted. Here you load the item you want to enchant along with alkahest equal to the tier level (T4 items use 4 alkahest.) Then you load a same tier fodder into the item. A weapon must use another weapon but it doesn't have to match your own. A bow can be used as a fodder for a lance. The same works for armor, as long as its a chest piece for another chest piece. Click and pray for a chance of success. If it fails it only takes away the fodder and alkahest not the item you are enchanting so go hog wild.

Q: Global chat is terrible!
A: Turn it off. Click the gear button on your chat box and deselect the global channel.

Endgame FAQ
Oh look I'm levelling getting lots of gold now! What should I do with it?
First of all, don't spend it on levelling gear. If you want to, play the auction house (Master Enigmatic Scrolls are a popular item, buy them after nexus for a low amount, and put them on broker for a high amount, watch your money increase!) but most importantly save for 60 gear.

So I'm about to hit 60? What do I do with the thousands of gold I've saved up?
Depends on how much you saved up. Less than 2k? Get a set of T13 gear and grind the new dailies otherwise. More than 2k but less than 5k? Do the dailies and buy yourself a T14 enchantable (Abyss) weapon, grind dailies for good armor. Got 20k or more? Buy yourself a regent weapon if you're a Warrior, Sorcerer, Lancer or Archer and get a full set of T14 armor. Try to buy the Regent chestpiece, it's pretty good. Spend the leftovers to get everything to +6, then Masterwork. Oh, after you get your T14 weapon get a full set of socketed jewelry and Pristine Powerful, Threatening or Succoring Zyrks depending on class.

What do dailies give?
The old ones (Invalseco, Shariar, etc) give pretty decent accessory crystals for 200 credits each. The new ones give pretty good armor and weapons which are about as good as +9 not counting enchant bonuses, and the armor has a skill buff which is otherwise only found on Regent and Visionmaker gear!

But all of that is PVE stuff! What should I do if I want to PVP?
Buy yourself a set of socketed jewelry, Pristine Griefing (or Indomitable if you're a healer or Lancer) Zyrks, enchantable PVP armor and a PVP weapon from the broker. T14 PVE also works if you're a healer. The socketed jewelry (well, the zyrks are) is even more important than for PVP so don't skip up on that! After that, grind Nexus for Agnitor gear and Conjunct mats, and BGs/3v3s for more Conjunct mats.

Ok so I got a decent set of PVE gear, what do I do now?
Run Nexus (every day noon/7pm PST), do Argon Corpus normal mode until you know the instance well, ToT and Sirjuka Gallery for glyphs and Crucible of Flame if you want to. Glyphs are the most important thing right now, so run ToT or buy Dire Badgers or Practicum Badges to get your most important ToT glyphs if you don't like farming. After you have the needed ToT glyphs and a T14 weapon, run Sirjuka Gallery for more glyphs. You can also start dipping your nose into Argon Corpus hard mode and Manaya's Core normal mode now. Make sure you let your group know that you're new to the instance! If you need more T14 fodder, learn to run Fane of Kaprima and Balder's Temple hard mode. Eventually, you might be able to do Manaya's Core hard mode!

Why is this guy's weapon glowing red? How can I make my weapon glow red?
Every level of enchantment above +6 changes the color your weapon glows with, and increases it's base damage severely. It also unlocks bonuses, which are rerollable (more on good bonuses later). Regular items can only be enchanted to +9, but Masterworked items can be enchanted to up to +12, which gives a red glow! To Masterwork an item, reroll them repeatedly with Master Enigmatic Scrolls. Chance is about 3% per scroll, so prepare for frustration.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

By Phosphia:
The UI looks like WoW, help me!

Wait, don't jump! There's always an answer. Everything in your UI can be dragged around after pressing the ALT key. This will allow you to mouse over any object that is within the UI and drag it to a different location on your screen. So, what do clever goons do? When you first enter the game, your action bar will only be half of its potential length. The first thing you should do is to expand this tray by clicking the small "Minimized tray" button to the right of your F6 and above your left click ability. You now have a full size action bar. Now there are two more things you'll want to do. First you mouse over the long option bar just above your action bar and move it to the top center of your screen, then you drag your HP/MP bar down to just above your action bar. You're fit! This will optimize your focus at the center of the screen when fighting in the true action combat game that is Tera.

From the old OP:
I want to see some cool armorsets!
The fansite Tera-Online.cc has an incredible number of screenshots featuring armorsets for all the different races:
Thanks to everybody for helping me, and Velveteen and TalonDemonKing especially!

What to do at 60?-Guide: http://nezroy.com/tera-guide/

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2013

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

My list of things from this game:

#1 This game has really fun combat! And when I say that, I mean you actually have to do something, you sit around and press buttons, you very easily just die/have to overly rely on potions.
#2 The areas and monsters look fun and interesting!
#3 All the classes feel different and you can find something that you really like!
#4 a) The questing is horrible! The story is abysmal!
b) Leveling up doesn't take too long, you get help from your guild/goons, so a) doesn't really matter.
c) The cutscenes are hilarious.
#5 a) The armor on the different races look different! (yes there's a metal bikini, but there's also a fur coat looking thing, and loads of other cool ones)
b) The races too look very different.
#6 a) EME is actually really good about customer support/making the game better. There is no future dread for me. True, some stuff takes ages to put in game, but it's an MMO so that's understandable.
b) Frogster/Gameforge ie. The European Publisher for Tera is super terrible! Don't go there, it's full of pain, tears and misery!
c) The NA server Goon guild has a ton of europeans and it's not an issue at all. I get usually around 220ms to the game, and I don't really notice it. (But admittedly some classes suffer from it a bit more than others)
#7 a) If you buy the core game, you get 'Founder' status which is very generous in its list of things you get, and you never have to pay again and you still keep them and it doesn't cost that much.
b) Elite (ie. the subscription) gets you some really cool stuff. My favourite thing is the "Village Atlas", it lets you teleport to any pegasus platform for free, without cooldown so you can zoom around the world really fast. (It's incredibly useful for when you're 60)

tl;dr:
I like this game, and even just the combat of this is game enough to justify the bad parts that are very few in my opinion.
I highly recommend people to try it out, just to see how the combat feels like, since it's nothing like pretty much any other MMO out there.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Just to follow up on that fur-coat armor:

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

edit: someone beat me to the lag question.

Gotta love this forums, the questions are answered before you can even post them :)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Even low-level stuff can be fun:

Like Bunbun stew.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Grogsy posted:

Wow did the EU publisher screw this up...

Anyhow, for those of us in the EU it would be cool to see some lag info in the op. As in how bad is it to play from the EU side.

Normally I would not be worried but it is an action MMO after all :)

Well the game is free so I guess I can just download it and check it out for myself :)

You totally didn't read my post. :smith:
Anyway, just to answer your question, it's totally fine, some classes suffer from it more, like apparently archers. So if an EU goon has tried those they could answer a bit more in depth.
I usually get 200-240ms. Even with the active combat it doesn't feel like a problem.

ninjaedit: Kane! Add some lag info to the op itself for our EU goon friends who are too lazy to scroll down to my post. :toot:

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Zaq posted:

I get usually around 220ms to the game, and I don't really notice it. (But admittedly some classes suffer from it a bit more than others)

I'm sorry but that can't possibly be enough for pvp. Is it doable with that kind of lag? in what is essentially a fps? Or do EUs just stick to pve :)

Also what is the crafting like? Is it worth to take it early and craft your gear through the game or is it like in other k-mmos?

edit: ok this is ridiculous, we keep missing each other on posts...
Stop answering my questions before I write them :)

Grogsy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 12, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, even though the ping is pretty high, the actual "feel" of the combat is extremely smooth on both sides. All hits feel pretty accurate and fast-paced dueling I have no problems other than my own failure to connect hits as a slayer. (Goddammit overhand strike! :argh:)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, it's enough for PVP. Crafting is pretty useless and only used for two end-game sets that take a shitload of effort to get. Visionmaker, which requires materials from Battlegrounds, Manaya's Core Hard Mode, rep vendors, Nexus, and super rare drops from Argon BAMs, and Conjunct, which requires Nexus and BG mats and Nexus and BG enchantables. Only reason to get those is that Visionmaker is significantly better than any other PVE set and even has some PVP bonuses, and Conjunct is one of the best PVP sets.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

RE: Crafting
They've fixed up the crafting a lot since launch, but it's still very expensive since the amount of regents is so high. So not really an early game thing at all. But you do have crafting quests, and especially potions/one time use scrolls are really useful, so those might be worth it to level up a bit even before hitting 60.
(Money becomes pretty much a non-issue once you hit 60, so you can fund crafting while getting end game armor very easily)

The thing is, you don't really need a ton of potions, since you can easily get good enough to fight with just HP regen crystals on (bits of things you put in armor to get active stats)
Combat is just as much about not getting hit, as it is connecting your own hits. If you do what I call "facetanking" (ie. tanking with your face) you're going to die very quickly unless you group up with a healer, who might get very pissed off at you for draining his/her mana all the time. :)

Every enemy has a 'tell'/set of moves that you learn as you fight them, so you avoid most if not all of the dmg. Or at least the high powered moves that would get you flattened.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
ABout the exp potions in the cash-shop, do they increase all exp you receive (specifically quest reward exp), or just from killing monsters?

But yes the game is fun. The levelling experience is about par of The Burning Crusade (hubs with quests leading to other hubs with quests) but the world and combat and other misc stuff make up for it.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Pierson posted:

ABout the exp potions in the cash-shop, do they increase all exp you receive (specifically quest reward exp), or just from killing monsters?

But yes the game is fun. The levelling experience is about par of The Burning Crusade (hubs with quests leading to other hubs with quests) but the world and combat and other misc stuff make up for it.

Only by killing monsters. Quests in Tera already give a huge amount of experience as it is.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Strange and weird Tera adventures continue; having finally dl'ed the US client over a few nights I fired it up already dreading the queues I read about earlier. General error and lots of 1s and 0s.

I wondered if this was related in some perverse way to the fact that starting the launcher almost entirely hosed my internet connection unless I booted my computer and modem. I then crossed my fingers and launched Spotflux (VPN like thing I guess?) and lo and behold the game works like a charm and without any lag whatsover when run through that.

So in conclusion: I am confused but hey it works and doesn't even lag when played from EU.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On lagtalk:
As i understand, under non-extreme circumstances (packet loss), all combat and movement (yes, there may be rubberbanding on 500+ ms) are client-side buffered, and even 1000+ ms or a SERVER CRASHING don't really impact it. So, EU goons, fear not the lag and play on NA.
Lag is noticed on protected functions (anything related to items, entity spawn/despawn, death, and such - playing a mystic in high lag is frustrating, because everything works properly, except dropping balls.

On unrelated: I used to bot/goldsell heavily on tera EU, and for that gameforge banned my whole friendlist, of which only 1 or 2 were involved at all in the operation.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So I've been told that at 58 ~*~SoMeThInG~*~ happens that makes the final two levels go by much quicker than the infamous 52-57 sinkhole. I'm coming up pretty close on 58 so what exactly is it/where should I go to make this happen?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pierson posted:

So I've been told that at 58 ~*~SoMeThInG~*~ happens that makes the final two levels go by much quicker than the infamous 52-57 sinkhole. I'm coming up pretty close on 58 so what exactly is it/where should I go to make this happen?

Pretty sure you get a quest to go to the 58-60 zones, which do go quite a bit faster. I think you just need to follow that questline and it will get you there.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

mirarant posted:

Strange and weird Tera adventures continue; having finally dl'ed the US client over a few nights I fired it up already dreading the queues I read about earlier. General error and lots of 1s and 0s.

I wondered if this was related in some perverse way to the fact that starting the launcher almost entirely hosed my internet connection unless I booted my computer and modem. I then crossed my fingers and launched Spotflux (VPN like thing I guess?) and lo and behold the game works like a charm and without any lag whatsover when run through that.

So in conclusion: I am confused but hey it works and doesn't even lag when played from EU.

Apparently some IPs are blocked. If you live in such an area then Spotflux might actually help since I believe it hides your IP address.

However if you live in say, Europe this should not be an issue and if anything Spotflux should be increasing lag.

The login servers actually appeared to be down earlier today and we all received the "General error" thing. You should try it again without Spotflux when the serves come back...

Rise
Jan 3, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Pierson posted:

There are new content zones where the mobs have a quarter of the health compared to what you were fighting during the 50s. It gets incredibly easy you can even group up most quests mob and kill them all in one go.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh just a new zone? Fantastic. The one I'm in looks great but yeah the mob health is insane, and that I'm a Lancer doesn't really help.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Pierson posted:

Oh just a new zone? Fantastic. The one I'm in looks great but yeah the mob health is insane, and that I'm a Lancer doesn't really help.

There's several zones to choose from, with quests giving insane amounts of XP, there's literally a quest in bastion that's "pick up 10 grass for me" and you get 1mil.
And another where you take a walk with Kaia (the goddess of war or something) while she kills waves of argons, and presto, you get 10 million XP for it.
So yeah, besides the enemies hitting for less dmg, having less health, the quests give a ton more experience as well. In short, it's a super fast cake walk to get from 58 to 60.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
Tera newbie here. Holy smokes! This game feels fluid. I'm in australia and it feels like I'm playing with 150ms ping or something. Much better than WoW response times. I think they use some cheats though, like when you cast an instant ability while moving it sets you back a little bit.

Question: Me and a group of friends (5-6 of us) all started playing tera F2P a few days ago. Some of my friends said they got "item claim" mail and it had keys in there for opening locked boxes. And those boxes had gems worth 100-200g! But I never got any keys? I only have a weird mask in item claim. What gives?

Also the experience of [Area] chat in the starting area (1-10) is so extremely Barrens Chat-like. No wait, it's worse :nms:

I really wish there was some in-depth explanations about this game. Shared bank? Huh?

Last thing: someone hit me up with some good zerker chains, if any exist.

tearshed fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 9, 2015

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

tearshed posted:

Tera newbie here. Holy smokes! This game feels fluid. I'm in australia and it feels like I'm playing with 150ms ping or something. Much better than WoW response times. I think they use some cheats though, like when you cast an instant ability while moving it sets you back a little bit.
Yes, the client is very heavily predicted and you can see just how much when the Nexus event starts up and certain things just stop working.

tearshed posted:

Question: Me and a group of friends (5-6 of us) all started playing tera F2P a few days ago. Some of my friends said they got "item claim" mail and it had keys in there for opening locked boxes. And those boxes had gems worth 100-200g! But I never got any keys? I only have a weird mask in item claim. What gives?
Everyone got 3 keys in item claim for the recent server downtime as compensation. Not sure why you didn't. People who are elite also receive 10 keys a month. People who had an active subscription prior to the F2P launch got a free month of elite.

tearshed posted:

Shared bank? Huh?
Your bank is shared across all characters, anything you can place in there can be withdrawn by another character on the same account.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tearshed posted:

Also the experience of [Area] chat in the starting area (1-10) is so extremely Barrens Chat-like. No wait, it's worse :nms:

Every day area/global chat.

I am kinda glad it gets better in later areas, but there's always going to be some idiot who brings it in that direction again. And it happens all the time, so you eventually start thinking you're at fault if you ever write in area chat.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

tearshed posted:

I really wish there was some in-depth explanations about this game. Shared bank? Huh?

Last thing: someone hit me up with some good zerker chains, if any exist.

Oh god that chat. Looks like area chat is back in low level zones. Just disable them and you won't have to listen to the creeps.

Having lag will sometimes rubber band you back when casting skills. It may not be very noticeable but this can be extremely annoying when dodging such as you trying to teleport out of a big move and it snaps you back to where you were before and kill you. If you lag don't pick a sorcerer or mystic!

Banks are shared for every character on your account. So you can put something in there swap to another character and pick them up for items that say no trade. I actually like it this way. I wouldn't need to swap around characters trying to find that one item I left in one of my many characters like back on WoW.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

I'm not really offended by the global or area chat at all.

The only thing that saddens me is the fact that it's not more amusing. Pulling off the same jokes as lunch-day, every day, all day, is just tiring. In many other games you can expect a good laugh once in a while by keeping an eye on the chat while leveling, well in Tera you will not.

I'm assuming this is the case for all servers. This is one of the reasons a healthy guild chat and voice servers are required.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 12, 2013

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Pierson posted:

I was told the same thing and was a bit sceptical, but it is a huge difference. At 56 I needed to kill each of the 16 mobs one after the other and each fight took half a minute. For the 59 quests I only needed 6 mobs to finish the quest and I was able to kill them all with one Cyclone.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I am not too bothered by the chats neither. Though I am annoyed that sometimes I miss the more important stuff (like guild chat or someone LFG for the same thing that I am doing). That and it seems that there is no escaping the annoying chats since it seems that people can and will crap up any channel being it area or LFG or Global...

Edit: on the topic of leveling, I heard that it is not optimal at all to do quest in zones, right?

I am bit of a completionist, so I tend to do every quest... Is there any perks for doing that?

lethial fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 12, 2013

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Pierson posted:

You get huge gear upgrades as early quest rewards in the 58+ zone, so levelling and killing speed improves drastically.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

I am not too bothered by the chats neither. Though I am annoyed that sometimes I miss the more important stuff (like guild chat or someone LFG for the same thing that I am doing). That and it seems that there is no escaping the annoying chats since it seems that people can and will crap up any channel being it area or LFG or Global...

Edit: on the topic of leveling, I heard that it is not optimal at all to do quest in zones, right?

I am bit of a completionist, so I tend to do every quest... Is there any perks for doing that?

Well, there is nothing wrong with doing every single quest. You do however have an advantage if you know when you can skip one and when you can not, by following the story quests.

Do however stay far away from repeatables and "proof of kill" quests, if they are even still in the game.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 12, 2013

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

You are likely to become over-level for zones if you are doing all the quests. If you do a dungeon even more so. Make sure you do all the quests in the Story tab (the red !, ?,and *s) and you should probably skip the quests marked with a ! with a ring of arrows around it, which designates it as a repeatable.

What I find myself doing is starting with everything, but then abandoning all the non-story quests below my current level and just plowing through story quests until I catch back up. I don't think my Slayer has ever finished a zone outside the Island of Dawn, and I'm still leaving a trail of abandoned quests behind me.

fakeedit: Do make sure you take all the guild quests off the quest board. I wouldn't go out of your way to complete them, but many you'll finish just doing the normal quests. Also, you'll be prepared in case someone tries to rope you in for killing Vanarch BAMs later. There is no limit to the amount of guild quests you can have, so just get in the habit of taking them all whenever you are in a town.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Phosphia posted:

Well, there is nothing wrong with doing every single quest. You do however have an advantage if you know when you can skip one and when you can not, by following the story quests.

Do however stay far away from repeatables and "proof of kill" quests, if they are even still in the game.

Oh dear... I have been trying to do every quest, even if I have out leveled them... I figured XP is XP right? (I strongly suspect that this is not the case, maybe I should just grind...)

On another note, while leveling up, I find that I have to stay in defensive mode most of the time for BAM soloing. I read that warriors should actually stay in assult stance for that, but w/o any self heals, I often find myself needing to bandage or drink potion due to damages that I almost always will have sustained... I am sure my inexperience has something to do with it, or maybe gear?

Is it recommended or time efficient to solo even level BAMs?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

GaylordButts posted:

You are likely to become over-level for zones if you are doing all the quests. If you do a dungeon even more so. Make sure you do all the quests in the Story tab (the red !, ?,and *s) and you should probably skip the quests marked with a ! with a ring of arrows around it, which designates it as a repeatable.

What I find myself doing is starting with everything, but then abandoning all the non-story quests below my current level and just plowing through story quests until I catch back up. I don't think my Slayer has ever finished a zone outside the Island of Dawn, and I'm still leaving a trail of abandoned quests behind me.

fakeedit: Do make sure you take all the guild quests off the quest board. I wouldn't go out of your way to complete them, but many you'll finish just doing the normal quests. Also, you'll be prepared in case someone tries to rope you in for killing Vanarch BAMs later. There is no limit to the amount of guild quests you can have, so just get in the habit of taking them all whenever you are in a town.

Couple questions on that. The repeatable quests, where does one use the currency that you get from those? Those little badge things. I've just been tossing them in my bank whenever I get one, because I can't find where they're used. And is that currency going to be the same at low levels vs. high levels? Or is there a level 60 version of repeatable quest tokens? Otherwise it seems like people would grind the lowest level easiest repeatable quest for the currency, assuming it's actually used to purchase anything worthwhile.

And on the guild quest boards, all I ever see there are the crafting quests. Does anything more interesting ever pop up there? And if so, what triggers that? I did most of the crafting stuff just for the hell of it. Seems kind of a silly way to level a craft, actually. Here's some mats, go buy a couple gold of other mats and hit craft a few times. At that point, why even go through the motions? Might as well just have a vendor that you can buy crafting levels at all in one go. But I digress. What's the deal with guild quests?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

Oh dear... I have been trying to do every quest, even if I have out leveled them... I figured XP is XP right? (I strongly suspect that this is not the case, maybe I should just grind...)

On another note, while leveling up, I find that I have to stay in defensive mode most of the time for BAM soloing. I read that warriors should actually stay in assult stance for that, but w/o any self heals, I often find myself needing to bandage or drink potion due to damages that I almost always will have sustained... I am sure my inexperience has something to do with it, or maybe gear?

Is it recommended or time efficient to solo even level BAMs?

I'd say skip BAM quets unless you have a group to do it effectively. Also only do instances once, for the quests.

quote:

Couple questions on that. The repeatable quests, where does one use the currency that you get from those? Those little badge things. I've just been tossing them in my bank whenever I get one, because I can't find where they're used. And is that currency going to be the same at low levels vs. high levels? Or is there a level 60 version of repeatable quest tokens? Otherwise it seems like people would grind the lowest level easiest repeatable quest for the currency, assuming it's actually used to purchase anything worthwhile.

And on the guild quest boards, all I ever see there are the crafting quests. Does anything more interesting ever pop up there? And if so, what triggers that? I did most of the crafting stuff just for the hell of it. Seems kind of a silly way to level a craft, actually. Here's some mats, go buy a couple gold of other mats and hit craft a few times. At that point, why even go through the motions? Might as well just have a vendor that you can buy crafting levels at all in one go. But I digress. What's the deal with guild quests?

Well, the only tokens you should farm are Catharnach Awards, these can be used by the guild leader to level up the guild and these same tokens are needed when you as guild want to enter the Vanarch term. (Guilds can rule areas of the map for a period of time)

All the other tokens you get through these quests are hardly worth anything. You can go to Velika and buy gear for each kind of token respectively. I never found it worthwhile. You can however use the tokens for an ALT.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 12, 2013

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So anyone playing on the EU server? My good friend bought the game at launch and he plays there, so I ended up buying a key for the EU version to play with him(because the ques are insane and more character slots is nice). If there are any in similar situation maybe we could band up to make a guild?

E: Also the EU general chat doesn't seem to be as horrible as the examples in this thread, its just mostly really stupid so I turned it off anyway.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 12, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Now that I think of it, I think I'm not seeing anything on the guild quest board because I'm not in a guild. I am dumb. I'm stuck on the old PvE server, so no goon guild for me. And all the guilds here scare me. I don't really want to join the loli brigade.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Now that I think of it, I think I'm not seeing anything on the guild quest board because I'm not in a guild. I am dumb. I'm stuck on the old PvE server, so no goon guild for me. And all the guilds here scare me. I don't really want to join the loli brigade.

You can transfer from PvE to PvP if you're lvl 40 or higher :toot:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zaq posted:

You can transfer from PvE to PvP if you're lvl 40 or higher :toot:

Bad alt-itis. I have literally done island of dawn through at least 10 times. My highest is a mid 30s priest, so maybe I'll manage to stick with that long enough to get to the transfer point. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

The better gear would help, but really soloing BAMs is a question of "How perfectly can you execute this fight". If you know how to read the tells and play cautiously you can do it, warriors/slayers/zerkers can kill leveling BAMs in 5-6 minutes after your first couple of tries. It's absolutely not worth it from a leveling speed perspective (in which case you should just do quests) but it is fun and I find myself doing it anyway at times. Adding just 1 other people will make you much much faster and possibly make it worthwhile if neither of you are dying.

Ran Cultist's Refuge last night on my slayer and had the tank drop group right after the hydralith thing without a word. I go to requeue us, but the bonus boss apparently doesn't count and it shows instance complete. On that revelation, the priest and warrior drop out, leaving me and a zerker. He announces "Well GG", so I charge Behehenddrehndenehdehenen before he can quit and a few minutes later we're cleaning up a loot explosion. And that's why this game owns. :feelsgood:

• Locked thread