Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Major_JF posted:

When do we get to see Dectilon's 100% tear play through of Maldita Castilla?

I recorded a full run of the game today. I'll post it along with the final update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Cool, thanks!

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Tomapella posted:

Good job, FreezingInferno!

And now for a very special episode of Let's Play Metal Storm.

Part 7 - I Hate My Life - YouTube

You did good, buddy, you did good. :unsmith: The rest will be easier. The transformer boss is a fair bit harder but not frustratingly so.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Psychedelic Eyeball is doing a (speed run?) of Doom II.

:getin:

http://www.twitch.tv/psychedelic_eyeball

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Awesome, Dectilon is going to post a great run of Maldita Castilla! But given that my soul has already been sold for continues in this run, we might as well see it through to the bitter end. Tonight, turtle soup dines on me.

Chapter 4: Swamp of Malaventura

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Phiggle posted:

Awesome, Dectilon is going to post a great run of Maldita Castilla! But given that my soul has already been sold for continues in this run, we might as well see it through to the bitter end. Tonight, turtle soup dines on me.

Chapter 4: Swamp of Malaventura

'Misadventure' is a word that exists in the English language :eng101:

How many chapters are left in the game, out of curiosity?

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Yeah, and misadventure is a good way to put this playthrough! There's only one chapter left but we'll show more after this playthrough ends.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
A quick progress report on Eryi's Action EX:

I'm still working on it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Phiggle posted:

Yeah, and misadventure is a good way to put this playthrough! There's only one chapter left but we'll show more after this playthrough ends.
If it's any consolation, you did a lot better on the ghosts than I did my first... five, six times? The forest is the stage that finally stumped me. Made it all the way to the boss, but once I was stuck with the knife I could not make any headway against that son of a bitch. Couldn't even find the Tear. This thread's been a great source of entertainment so far. Looking forward to the rest.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

A quick progress report on Eryi's Action EX:

I'm still working on it.

Wrong thread?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Dectilon posted:

I recorded a full run of the game today. I'll post it along with the final update.

Does that full run include the super secret hidden goals unrelated to the tears?

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
About a week ago the posse did a little stream to showcase the Tales of Games vidcon pack, and within was a little gem I fell in love with right away.

It was hard.
It was fair.
It felt like fighting Dracula.

And it was brief enough that I was able to get myself up to skill in a week. I present you:

Banana Nababa (no, the name doesn't make any sense)

1. Voodoo Mask

The game consists of six boss fights. This is the first.

You can download the game here (and probably other places, too). I highly recommend it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hope you show off that firefighter game sometime, too. That was one hell of a thing.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
When you defeated the boss, can the skull still kill you if it lands on you?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.

Autechresaint posted:

Does that full run include the super secret hidden goals unrelated to the tears?

Yes.

edit: Also I'm sorry for being lethally boring in the first playthrough with Phiggle. :(

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 12, 2013

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Oh hey it's that game from that one retsupurae from a million years ago.

I'm glad I actually know what it's about now.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Gotta say, digging the Gremlins 2 music. It's a good fit for a weird game like Banana Nababa.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
The game tries a new way to stop us from succeeding. Unfortunately Startropics did not forsee the INTERNET

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I thought feelies were more of a computer game thing, what with floppy disks being easier to copy than Nintendo cartridges.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought feelies were more of a computer game thing, what with floppy disks being easier to copy than Nintendo cartridges.

Most copy protection of the time was "Enter the 5th letter of the 3rd word in the 8th paragraph on page 25", code wheels and other dedicated feelies were pretty rare. I remember memorizing the Amiga Civilization tech tree to get past its copy protection, which must've been supremely boring but if you're 11 and want to conquer the earth then apparently you do what you gotta do.

But, digression. I'm pretty sure the Startropics dunking was just included because it was awesome, especially since it's always the same frequency so all the presumptive pirates would need to do to beat it was include a very small note. I may of course be unduly influenced by 10-year-old me thinking it was awesome when I played the game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Upon getting this game, me and my family dipped the paper in water, went "oo neat", then promptly lost it somewhere someplace. I didn't end up getting past this level until about a year later when we bought the game a 2nd time when it was on sale.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 12, 2013

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
The wii virtual arcade version allows you to press a button and put the included manual into a "cup of water".

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I remember me and a buddy taking turns just going 1 frequency at the time. I often rented games so 9 out of 10 times it didn't come with a manual or other stuff this was one of those cases. Though I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who had to discover the frequency that way.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I got lucky because when I borrowed the game from my friend in the pre-Internet days I never got past Ghost Village.

By the time I got back to it, the Internet was a thing and the mystery was easily solved. It's still a cute little trick though.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

That's actually really interesting. I can just imagine how angry a game reviewer would be at that today as they would never figure it out.

Well, I suppose this is where the real difficulty comes in if you bought it used :saddowns:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Most of the anger would be faked because only a few reviewers would actually play the games far enough to get to that spot, the rest would just hear about secondhand and parrot some generic outrage.

Still a fun little idea for its time and will always make StarTropics memorable to me.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Dectilon posted:

That's actually really interesting. I can just imagine how angry a game reviewer would be at that today as they would never figure it out.

Well, I suppose this is where the real difficulty comes in if you bought it used :saddowns:

If you say to Baboo that you don't understand the clue, he tells you to look at the instruction manual--of course this also eluded me as a kid for a while, maybe I didn't understand those two words yet. It was so weird realizing what the message meant, I'll never forget the day I woke up and just 'got it.'

Already recorded the next episode, need to do commentary but it should be up soon. It's a really fun level with a lot of almost dick moves, one of my favorites in the game.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk

Vagithug posted:

When you defeated the boss, can the skull still kill you if it lands on you?

It's never too late to die.

I don't know when I'll have another chance this week to post things, so I'm blowing my load now. Enjoy.

2. Swarm Lord
3. Plague Beetle
4. Giga Slith
5. Gatekeeper
6. ???

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

I picked this game up due to this thread. Absolutely love it.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
DO. NOT. SEEK. THE TREASURE.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

My Name Is Kaz posted:

It's never too late to die.

I'll take that as a yes, I mean I would assume that is something a "hard but fair" game would do, keep you on your toes at all times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thevoiceofdog posted:

That song is God Save the Queen, the British national anthem. Us Mericans have appropriated it as My Country 'Tis of Thee.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You say "Appropriated", I say "Improved upon."

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The letter thing was a neat idea, but there needed to be a way in game to get that information if something happened to the letter.

theblastizard fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 13, 2013

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

thevoiceofdog posted:

You say you got this far as a child? I think as an adult I would have given up after the piano. Also, the dick move in that upper path.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Deargodalion posted:

You say you got this far as a child? I think as an adult I would have given up after the piano. Also, the dick move in that upper path.

It's possible - I beat this game as a child (and the sequel, how did I do that?), and actually I have to say this was one of my favorite chapters, if only because of the sheer variety of things in that dungeon.

Of course, I had people who could read to help 3-year old me with the puzzles and stuff, so yeah.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I know, if I had only shown my parents that phrase that tells you to wet the letter on the instruction booklet I would've gotten past ch4 way earlier. I also used game genie quite a bit when I would get too stuck, so I probably beat the game when I was 4-5 and then went back and did it legitimately. I did that with a lot of games as a kid, especially the megamans :v:

\/ Seriously feels like you should be finding gold at the end of this dungeon. What the hell Capt Bell.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 13, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thevoiceofdog posted:

drat, you're in a tight spot! :haw:

Sorry, that's possibly my favourite movie.

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Kittens, you have to get them before they get you

thevoiceofdog posted:

Amazing and I honestly didn't remember playing this game until I saw the parrot. I can't remember anything about the game aside from that bird.

Perhaps it was repression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Between this and King Hippo, Nintendo sure had a weird vision of the Southern Pacific back in the 80's.

Puckanas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread