Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got to play with an honest to goodness Verizon blackberry Z10 last night.

Its nice, but its nothing that would make me flip. It's going to be a huge uphill battle for them.

Best tidbit of the night..

Top Three phones called in to customer support for help?

1)iPhone 5
2)iPhone 4
3)iPhone 4S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mighty Horse posted:

Top Three phones called in to customer support for help?

1)iPhone 5
2)iPhone 4
3)iPhone 4S

Does that really surprise you considering their popularity/customer base?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Took my friend's Thunderbolt off of his hands to play with the ICS update (he moved to an iPhone5) and holy poo poo the battery life is still incredibly laughable on this thing.

Initial setup and activation with my GS3's SIM wedged into the slot (got it right, as LTE is active), first GMail and Contact sync, and setting up my exchange account, and I'm already down to about 60%.

Going to have to let it charge tonight and see if it fares any better because wow it's just so bad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AlexDeGruven posted:

Took my friend's Thunderbolt off of his hands to play with the ICS update (he moved to an iPhone5) and holy poo poo the battery life is still incredibly laughable on this thing.

Initial setup and activation with my GS3's SIM wedged into the slot (got it right, as LTE is active), first GMail and Contact sync, and setting up my exchange account, and I'm already down to about 60%.

Going to have to let it charge tonight and see if it fares any better because wow it's just so bad.

Bad battery life on first-gen LTE devices? Who would have thought??

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Bad battery life on first-gen LTE devices? Who would have thought??

I had a Charge before my S3, and that thing runs circles around the TB for battery even with Gingerbread. The TB's battery is a very special kind of awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was hilariously small. They put a 1400 mah battery in that thing. The charge was a bit better at 1500 mah.

My phone just hit 60% battery as well. Of course, it's been 30 hours since I've taken it off charge.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

It was hilariously small. They put a 1400 mah battery in that thing. The charge was a bit better at 1500 mah.

My phone just hit 60% battery as well. Of course, it's been 30 hours since I've taken it off charge.

You have a Razr MAXX HD right? I'm going to assume the answer is yes, but do you know if it can take 64GB SD cards? My music collection is a little under 58 gigs and my upgrade is soon, so it would be a nice bonus if that phone took 64GB cards...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I've narrowed my upgrade down to the razr maxx hd, the s3, or maaaaybe the note 2. Anyone with hands on experience care to throw their two cents in? I'm leaning towards the razr, though I remember motorola's build quality isn't exactly stellar.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

KingSlime posted:

I've narrowed my upgrade down to the razr maxx hd, the s3, or maaaaybe the note 2. Anyone with hands on experience care to throw their two cents in? I'm leaning towards the razr, though I remember motorola's build quality isn't exactly stellar.

Motorola's build quality on their DROID line of phones has been nothing short of spectacular. They feel very solid in your hand.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

KingSlime posted:

The RAZR feels miles more solid than the Samsungs. The more recent crop of Moto phones has some of the best build quality I've seen.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

KingSlime posted:

I'm in love with my Note 2. I haven't picked up my tablet since I got it. If you can, go into a store and try to put your hands on it. I have no issues with the size at all, it fits in my shirt pockets fine and I mainly use a headset for phone calls. Everything I've heard about the maxx HD has been positive, the battery life is apparently astounding. With the S4 rumored to be announced next month it might be worth waiting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingSlime posted:

Why do people keep saying motorlas build quality is lacking? Everything minus the droid x2 on Verizon has been solid.

I'd personally get the note 2. I love the screen size and the pen really is nice.

I ended up getting an s3 its pretty solid but does not feel anywhere near as solid as my og RAZR maxx.

Toss up really between the note 2 and maxx HD. Like I said the screen size on the note is big to me. So that's where I'd go if I was going to take subsidy and lose my data

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I picked up the Droid DNA this weekend and I really like it. The battery life is sufficient for my usage and I rarely fill my memory cards up so a Micro SD wasn't necessary. The screen and feel of the phone are really nice.

Also decided to retire our unlimited data plans and move to unlimited calling/messaging with a 4 GB shared data. I use like 1 GB a month at most and my mom is on our shared plan and she uses 1300 of the 1400 shared minutes a month :stare:.

She also texts more than I do which I find sad more so for me than her I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You have a Razr MAXX HD right? I'm going to assume the answer is yes, but do you know if it can take 64GB SD cards? My music collection is a little under 58 gigs and my upgrade is soon, so it would be a nice bonus if that phone took 64GB cards...

I do have a 64gb card in mine (even though the specs say 32gb max) and it recognizes the whole 64gb.

I haven't really been using it for much though to tell you the truth other than loading up all my pictures on to it. But it's been in there since I got the phone in early November and hasn't blown up yet.

I'm really hoping the upcoming Xbox Music Android client allows placing the music on the SD card as I could pretty much just fully replace my Zune HD 32gb.

EbolaIvory posted:

Why do people keep saying motorlas build quality is lacking? Everything minus the droid x2 on Verizon has been solid.

I'm a LITTLE torn on the OG Razr (non-MAXX version) as I feel the chassis was under-engineered (especially around the sim/sd door). It felt great in the hand, but I think it was too prone to chassis flex which would grenade the display substrate (but not break the glass.) It happened to mine, it happened to someone in this thread recently, and I've seen multiple reports around the web as well. It even seems Motorola is repairing them at no cost in a lot of cases too so they may realize there's a defect. It was just too drat thin.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 7, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyone on Verizon having trouble loading content on the Facebook app?

When I'm on wifi, no issues at all. However, when I'm on LTE I'm getting nothing. No loading no anything. It just sits there and spins.

I may pop my SIM into my Galaxy Nexus to see if it's having the same problems.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
How about battery differences between the maxx and the note 2? I'll definitely have to hold one in store before choosing the note, however to make sure it's not too big but I kinda dig the whole phablet thing. I'm guessing you can also pair a keyboard and mouse to it to create a cool little android work machine?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Anyone on Verizon having trouble loading content on the Facebook app?

When I'm on wifi, no issues at all. However, when I'm on LTE I'm getting nothing. No loading no anything. It just sits there and spins.

I may pop my SIM into my Galaxy Nexus to see if it's having the same problems.

No troubles lately, although I have a 3G phone and not LTE.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Based on my limited experience, Bull3964 is right that the HD Maxx should be able to use the 64 GB cards. I have only seen a couple customers with the big cards so there could be a few cases where the 64GB cards don't play nice. Motorola did not have the phone certified.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingSlime posted:

How about battery differences between the maxx and the note 2? I'll definitely have to hold one in store before choosing the note, however to make sure it's not too big but I kinda dig the whole phablet thing. I'm guessing you can also pair a keyboard and mouse to it to create a cool little android work machine?

MYGIRLFRIEND gets a full day of real use out of her note with no problem. I can't compare it to the HD maxx but she easily matches my og maxx on use. And she really does use the thing. Netflix on lunch at work. Tons of Facebook. It does some pretty heavy lifting. If you can handle the size i without a doubt would say go note.

Either way. The only bad choice would be if you'll get pissed the next galaxy line comes out in a few months and you'll have phone envy and be upset you paid 300 bucks for it.

What I'm saying is if you Dont care about the new poo poo coming. you'll be happy with either.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

MYGIRLFRIEND gets a full day of real use out of her note with no problem. I can't compare it to the HD maxx but she easily matches my og maxx on use. And she really does use the thing. Netflix on lunch at work. Tons of Facebook. It does some pretty heavy lifting. If you can handle the size i without a doubt would say go note.

Either way. The only bad choice would be if you'll get pissed the next galaxy line comes out in a few months and you'll have phone envy and be upset you paid 300 bucks for it.

What I'm saying is if you Dont care about the new poo poo coming. you'll be happy with either.

Ha I'm rocking a stratosphere right now and would have no qualms with keeping it for awhile longer but my screen cracked after an unfortunate drop.

As long as I hold one in person and make sure its not too massive, I'm really leaning towards the note. Its around $250 right?

I saw it for $150 on amazon, any downsides to taking that route? I'm under a family members employee plan so I don't know how it might affect that option.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingSlime posted:

Ha I'm rocking a stratosphere right now and would have no qualms with keeping it for awhile longer but my screen cracked after an unfortunate drop.

As long as I hold one in person and make sure its not too massive, I'm really leaning towards the note. Its around $250 right?

I saw it for $150 on amazon, any downsides to taking that route? I'm under a family members employee plan so I don't know how it might affect that option.

You have to keep whatever features you activate on the amazon thing for some number of months, but no its not a bad way to go.

And Isnt it 299 still at the actual verizon locations? Swear thats what I just paid for the girls.

I think you'll like it man.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Flipped a coin between the Razr M and the HD Maxx. Ended up with the M.

I can now say that Google Nav kicks the poo poo out of the Garmin I had borrowed. I can also say that Google Nav eats batteries like its a starving hyaena.

How hard is it on the battery life (considering they are non-removable) to have to charge it every day (or on a long day maybe twice in the same day)? I usually keep phones/devices for a long time (so tearing the battery up in less than 2 or 3 years would suck). Im not cool like you multi-phone-havers who grab a new one every few months.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FRINGE posted:

Flipped a coin between the Razr M and the HD Maxx. Ended up with the M.

I can now say that Google Nav kicks the poo poo out of the Garmin I had borrowed. I can also say that Google Nav eats batteries like its a starving hyaena.

How hard is it on the battery life (considering they are non-removable) to have to charge it every day (or on a long day maybe twice in the same day)? I usually keep phones/devices for a long time (so tearing the battery up in less than 2 or 3 years would suck). Im not cool like you multi-phone-havers who grab a new one every few months.

You'll be fine for 2 years. Dont stress it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
200,000 miles of abuse on my Droid2 Global and it's still running great. Just bought a new battery for it to have an extra because for $3.99, I figure it's worth it. I've been pretty loving happy with the phone, and since I don't have a reason to upgrade, I'll just keep using it. Does seem to have an issue with weak signal, but then again, most of the smartphones I have seemed to be that way. My three year old LG tracfone has better signal.

My only real complaint has been that loving signal issue, but I blame Verizon for flat out lying about coverage areas.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EbolaIvory posted:

You have to keep whatever features you activate on the amazon thing for some number of months, but no its not a bad way to go.

And Isnt it 299 still at the actual verizon locations? Swear thats what I just paid for the girls.

I think you'll like it man.

I do believed they just dropped it to either $200 or $150. I just paid $300 apiece for 2 note 2s about a month ago. Android police had an article about it.

KingSlime posted:

I can actually get a full work day out of my Note2 and I'm a heavy power user. I run help desk off my phone, listen to podcasts, play games, browse and text for about 10 hours straight. Then I listen to streaming music off of it on my motorcycle ride home. It's been at around 30-40% when I get home. I killed my iPhone 4 2-3 times a day every day. It had to live on a charger or it was dead before 10 AM.

(I use the phone from 7 am to around 5:30pm for work and it will usually last until 7pm while watching TV before I need to plug the charger in at home)

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 7, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If my wife lost her Verizon iPhone 4, what would she get as an insurance replacement?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Probably a verizon iphone 4. I doubt they're out of stock, aren't they free phones nowadays?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

JP Money posted:

Probably a verizon iphone 4. I doubt they're out of stock, aren't they free phones nowadays?

Yeah, I just checked the website and they are not out. Oh well.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's the best cheap (under $100 or $50) android smartphone that works on Verizon? I've got a frend who isn't tech savvy but refuses to buy an iphone. She's using some incredibly ancient android phone on the verge of death. Is it possible to get something like the Nexus S? Droid Incredible? I'd have no problem putting an AOSP rom on it as long as the phone has decent community support.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Are you talking about with subsidy? Recommend the RAZR M. Don't root or ROM or any of that nerd poo poo, it works great as-is.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Thanks, that looks perfect.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you talking about with subsidy? Recommend the RAZR M. Don't root or ROM or any of that nerd poo poo, it works great as-is.

Why is this even a point to make when someone asks about a phone for a non tech savvy person?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

Why is this even a point to make when someone asks about a phone for a non tech savvy person?

Because sometimes non-tech savvy people ask for help from phone nerds who get overzealous and stick a ROM on a phone in hopes of improving the device. Sometimes, you can leave a phone alone as-is and it'll work quite well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I think you may have missed this part of the question.

blargle posted:

I'd have no problem putting an AOSP rom on it as long as the phone has decent community support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Then she takes it to verizon for something and they are like... Nope.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I don't even know why it's up for discussion. Just leave it alone, completely stock. The RAZR M doesn't need any of that poo poo to be a great phone.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

AlexDeGruven posted:

I had a Charge before my S3, and that thing runs circles around the TB for battery even with Gingerbread. The TB's battery is a very special kind of awful.

I still have a Charge (though not for much longer!) and the battery still sucks. BTW, where's the ICS update for the Charge? :downs:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I ported my Verizon number to Google Voice and I'm giving my Galaxy Nexus to my girlfriend. Can we activate it for her on the website or is she going to need to go in to get another LTE SIM?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I ported my Verizon number to Google Voice and I'm giving my Galaxy Nexus to my girlfriend. Can we activate it for her on the website or is she going to need to go in to get another LTE SIM?

I thought that once 24 hours have passed after being taken off an account, the SIM became "usable" again for a different line. At least, that was the case for me when I gave my iPhone 5 to my wife when she broke her 4.

When I got the iPhone 5, I had saved the old SIM from my Galaxy Nexus and put it in my junk drawer. The website accepted the number off that old SIM and put my account back on there; I was able to put that back into the Nexus and everything worked.

Then, the next morning, I was able to put my wife's account on the old nanoSIM from the iPhone 5. It was really more like 14 hours in my case, not 24, so it seems like there must be some batch process that runs in the wee hours of the morning that frees up SIM serial numbers in their records and they say 24 just to be sure.

Did you already try it and it wouldn't accept the number off your SIM?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I haven't tried anything yet. The porting finally completed yesterday morning. She's on a separate account and I didn't see her yesterday. We'll try it later, thanks for saving me a trip!

• Locked thread