Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Crowbear posted:

Shoulda been Pokemon Snap U

Sounds like a rap song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Shoulda been Pokemon Snap U

Pokemon Snap with the Google Maps feature :swoon:

(Guess I was wrong on the UFC thing. Oops. Either way, THQ was losing money on the UFC and WWE games and I can't fathom how that would happen, especially the WWE games where they were using a five year old engine. How they owed WWE $40M I can't understand)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Edoraz posted:

Sounds like a rap song.

Wu-Tang Clan - Pokemon Snap U(r Neck)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, it was $99 plus $15 for the console plus a two-year Xbox Live Gold subscription. I thought it was a really weird way to sell the console when I saw it at Best Buy, but apparently they're selling. I'm not even sure which SKU it was, either.

Honestly, it's a real smart thing to do because you're taking advantage of the fact that people are way too idiotic to use math and would rather pay a monthly fee for something that will end up costing them more in the long run (not to mention you'll be paying for the thing, most likely, over a year after the next Xbox comes out).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Akileese posted:

Honestly, it's a real smart thing to do because you're taking advantage of the fact that people are way too idiotic to use math and would rather pay a monthly fee for something that will end up costing them more in the long run (not to mention you'll be paying for the thing, most likely, over a year after the next Xbox comes out).

While it does cost more in the long run versus paying cash at the point of sale, buying a 360 on contract still should be significantly less than buying the same things outright on a credit card and paying the credit card off over two years. The only problem with that logic is that if you take two years to pay off a 360 and two years of Live, then you have the wrong hobby. Video games are expensive.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

toxicsunset posted:

It's cheap for cheapness's sake and for an utterly insignificant cost increase (probably saved them about $5 per unit, if that) could've greatly increased the life on the thing. Sorry that I don't like to think of my expensive technology as having had corners cut.
$5 per unit is not even slightly an insignificant cost increase.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah that's 25 million, given they produced 5 million by March.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

theflyingorc posted:

$5 per unit is not even slightly an insignificant cost increase.

Yes, it is, when you're talking about a $400 piece of technology. That's approximately a 1% increase in cost. From the harddrive to the battery of the gamepad, it just really feels like Nintendo cut every corner possible and that's not what I want to hear when it comes to something this expensive. "The bare minimum" is not an acceptable standard.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

toxicsunset posted:

Yes, it is, when you're talking about a $400 piece of technology. That's approximately a 1% increase in cost. From the harddrive to the battery of the gamepad, it just really feels like Nintendo cut every corner possible and that's not what I want to hear when it comes to something this expensive. "The bare minimum" is not an acceptable standard.

The savings would be passed on to us more than likely because they wouldn't be selling the system for $305 or $355 dollars so it's a 1% increase in cost of production which is a number in the billions over the lifetime of the console meaning thats a $100+ million dollar decision for a few extra hours of battery life. ( Ignoring the fact that it would probably get cheaper over time...but still. )

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 12, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bobnumerotres posted:

They're dumbasses for not doing that already. How can you look at the gamepad and not immediately think "Pokemon snap."

This is the same company that never even tried to make a Star Fox game for the Wii. That controller would have been perfect. But they did make a Star Fox for their... touch screen handheld... Nintendo is weird.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It really does feel like Nintendo always cuts corners and puts in the bare minimum effort a lot of the time though. Of course partly this is because they are not a conglomerate and have a very conservative corporate philosophy, thus they can't go with a loss leader strategy, as much of a benefit to consumers as that is.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

katkillad2 posted:

The savings would be passed on to us more than likely because they wouldn't be selling the system for $305 or $355 dollars so it's a 1% increase in cost of production which is a number in the billions over the lifetime of the console meaning thats a $100+ million dollar decision. ( Ignoring the fact that it would probably get cheaper over time...but still. )

Let's be real here. Every decision made on the system is a 'billion dollar' decision using that logic. Battery life is something important to a lot of people. It's probably one of the first things you hear about if a phone has a poo poo battery life. You want people to look at your product and go wow, that's state of the art, not "Wow, they really cut corners"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

katkillad2 posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, although I can't confirm if it works or if it's even necessary to do to begin with. I tried it with Xenoblade and the game looked the same before and after. ( But it didn't look bad to begin with so maybe it was displaying correctly for me? )

Go back to the WiiU menu
Go to System Settings
Set it to 480p and 16:9
go back to the Wii menu
It should be fixed
Then apparently when you go back to the WiiU menu next time you can set it back to 1080p and it should convert correctly in Wii mode.

This helped! Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that. It still doesn't look great, but at least it's on par with how I remember Wii games looking.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

toxicsunset posted:

Let's be real here. Every decision made on the system is a 'billion dollar' decision using that logic. Battery life is something important to a lot of people. It's probably one of the first things you hear about if a phone has a poo poo battery life. You want people to look at your product and go wow, that's state of the art, not "Wow, they really cut corners"

The U battery is not bad though. It last long enough for any normal use, then you put it on the charging cradle when you're done. I think mine had low battery once the entire time I've had it and it was a very unlikely use case. Who in the world has time to game for more than five hours at a time, or even in a single day? Can I please trade place with them for a little bit?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

greatn posted:

The U battery is not bad though. It last long enough for any normal use, then you put it on the charging cradle when you're done. I think mine had low battery once the entire time I've had it and it was a very unlikely use case. Who in the world has time to game for more than five hours at a time, or even in a single day? Can I please trade place with them for a little bit?

Literal children do, a very large part of the demographic?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

toxicsunset posted:

Kids got pretty packed schedules these days man, and lots of different content to consume.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly think if the next consoles actually are as strong as top-end gaming PCs contracts will be the only viable option for a lot of consumers. If there's actually a substantial gap between them and the WiiU they will probably cost upwards of 500 dollars to manufacture.

Only charging 100 up-front and the rest over time would generate a lot more sales than charging $799 for the console.
Given the rumored specs, they're not as strong as top tier gaming machines, but they're still a significant bump above the Wii U. I'm not expecting a repeat of Sony's '$599 US Dollars' gaffe, but the $400 to $500 MSRP doesn't seem implausible.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Given the rumored specs, they're not as strong as top tier gaming machines, but they're still a significant bump above the Wii U. I'm not expecting a repeat of Sony's '$599 US Dollars' gaffe, but the $400 to $500 MSRP doesn't seem implausible.

If that's true I don't see the point, other than a hardware refresh. You'll be able to render current games in true 1080p, 60 fps, and some other bells and whistles and then you've exhausted all the extra power of the console. It doesn't really open up anything creatively speaking.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Bobnumerotres posted:

If that's true I don't see the point, other than a hardware refresh. You'll be able to render current games in true 1080p, 60 fps, and some other bells and whistles and then you've exhausted all the extra power of the console. It doesn't really open up anything creatively speaking.

More things (ie enemies on screen) able to be going on at once, for one

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it can open up multitasking which the WiiU has used quite well.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well keep in mind that not-quite-top-level-PC specs don't mean not-quite-top-levels-PC performance. If the current consoles can put out stuff like Halo 4 and the Uncharted games then the next gen consoles should be able to do some awesome stuff once devs figure out how to optimize for them.

Also, the jump up in RAM is going to be very significant (supposedly Microsoft is going for 8GB DDR3 and Sony is going for 4GB of GDDR5 and thinking of moving up to 8GB) and that can have some big implications.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Well it can open up multitasking which the WiiU has used quite well.

I think it handles it terribly. The system has four times the 360's memory (not including eDRAM), dedicates half of it to the OS and the OS pretty much runs like dogshit, even though it's not doing anything special. It's been months and they haven't sped it up, only fixed the various crashes.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

I know personally that my enjoyment is very much affected by the experiences that people outside of my demographic have. I just shed a single tear right now

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bobnumerotres posted:

You're overestimating current console hardware and underestimating current pc hardware.

Graphics on new consoles are going to look significantly better, even with off the shelf pc parts. Consoles don't have to be as high tech as pc's to have graphics look amazing, the reason why you're thinking it won't look better is because while better tech will exist, no one's been making games to take use of that tech. Current gaming consoles exist on decade old parts, and it's been holding pc gaming back to make money by publishers being able to release games across all current pc's and consoles.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Quest For Glory II posted:

I know personally that my enjoyment is very much affected by the experiences that people outside of my demographic have. I just shed a single tear right now

He asked "who in the world does". I answered him with a large number of people. I do, too, actually, as evidenced by my interest in the battery life. I've played my 3Ds while watching football all day on Sundays for 5+ hour stretches.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Soul Glo posted:

Graphics on new consoles are going to look significantly better, even with off the shelf pc parts. Consoles don't have to be as high tech as pc's to have graphics look amazing, the reason why you're thinking it won't look better is because while better tech will exist, no one's been making games to take use of that tech. Current gaming consoles exist on decade old parts, and it's been holding pc gaming back to make money by publishers being able to release games across all current pc's and consoles.

Exactly, I mean Jesus look at the trailer for CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077. They're saying that's their target for in-game visuals and this thing is supposed to drop in 2015? Normally I'd be balking harder than people did at Sony did with Killzone 2 but drat after Witcher 2 I'd bet they could do it on next-gen hardware.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

You're overestimating current console hardware and underestimating current pc hardware.

I will say, I'm extremely impressed by the UE4 tech demos and if games are going to start looking like that it's pretty incredible. You are right about the consoles holding development back, but it will also mean an even higher development cost, which is already straining all but the top companies in the gaming industry.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

toxicsunset posted:

Not true at all. These days my 9 year old son has less disposable time than I do sometimes thanks to school, the amount of homework they get, after school care, chores, etc. Kids are kept a little too busy these days. :(

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Xavier434 posted:

Not true at all. These days my 9 year old son has less disposable time than I do sometimes thanks to school, the amount of homework they get, after school care, chores, etc. Kids are kept a little too busy these days. :(

Thank you for this informed, not-at-all-anecdotal evidence. It's not like summer exists, or there are exceptions. I didn't even have chores growing up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think it handles it terribly. The system has four times the 360's memory (not including eDRAM), dedicates half of it to the OS and the OS pretty much runs like dogshit, even though it's not doing anything special. It's been months and they haven't sped it up, only fixed the various crashes.

They're patching the OS in the Spring, same time as the WiiU VC update.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

toxicsunset posted:

$5 on a machine that is barely making a profit is an absolutely huge amount. Why do you think Microsoft didn't put a hard drive in the core 360 despite the fact that having a few gigs of space wouldn't cost very much? The battery life is absolutely fine for almost all normal use of the device. Nintendo cut some dumb corners (not licensing DTS) but why are you mad, how would this even inconvenience someone, and - yes, streaming video for 4 hours is going to make anything's battery take a significant hit, and comparing it to the iPad, a device which retails for $400-$500 against an $150 (estimated) gamepad is absolutely insane.

toxicsunset posted:

Thank you for this informed, not-at-all-anecdotal evidence. It's not like summer exists, or there are exceptions. I didn't even have chores growing up
These poor kids are going to have to plug their gamepad into the wall if they want to use it after 4.5 hours of play. :( You don't get it man, I was PRIVILEGED growing up and that's really hard for a kid.

Bobnumerotres posted:

No no no, it dedicates HALF to having a constant video stream to the gamepad (and potentially a second gamepad in the future). The OS is likely using much, much less than a gig.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 12, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

In general you're right, but the browser during playing a game experience or Miiverse which is apparently browser based is pretty good. You're dead on about everything else though. It's something I think the new consoles can and will improve upon drastically (though maybe not browser experience, Nintendo surprisingly nailed that one).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

toxicsunset posted:

I'm trying to be real here, I don't think companies shrug off $100+ million dollar decisions and I didn't know more battery life equates to state of the art technology. In fact, everything i've seen lately that has impressed me in regards to gadget technology has had terrible battery life, meaning if you see something impressive you probably assume the battery life is low.

If having a cord connected to the gamepad is that big of a deal to you, then whatever floats your boat... I'm just pointing out that it's not as easy of a change/decision you are trying to make it out to be with a $5 dollar price increase.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Step 1: Place the charging cradle on a table or shelf near the seat that you play from.
Step 2: Put the Gamepad in the cradle when not in use, instead of tossing it on the floor or whatever you're apparently doing.
Step 3: If the battery becomes low while in use, take the cord out of the nearby cradle and connect it to the Gamepad. You've been lounging around for several hours at this point, you can suck it up.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Didn't Nyko announce a larger Wii U battery pack that doubles the GamePad's battery life? Not that I'm trying to excuse Nintendo's decision, but if you genuinely want to use the GamePad for more than a couple of hours, there are ways to do it.

Edit: Nintendo will cut corners wherever they can, if for no other reason than to maximize their margins. It's the same reason why neither the Wii or Wii U can play DVDs or, in the Wii U's case, Blu-Rays. I would venture to guess that Nintendo looked at the average playtime for the Wii and used it as a reference when determining the strength of the GamePad's battery.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know how this was done? I've seen a few pictures like this and I don't see how it's possible

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 12, 2013

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kids these days, we sat next to an outlet with a game gear plugged in and we liked it. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

KimT posted:

Does anyone know how this was done? I've seen a few pictures like this and I don't see how it's possible

Here's an article about it that includes the user you mentioned

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

KimT posted:

:stare:

I honestly could not say.

All my drawings are terrible. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crowbear posted:

Microsoft got it right, since their X and Y buttons actually correspond to the axes they're on :colbert:

Dangit, what are they teachin in schools these days?!

• Locked thread