Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, this is basically the best new show since AHS Season 1.

The protagonist has a massive dent on his forehead, which gives him traumatic flashbacks and moodswings. The violence hyper-style is refreshing:

http://youtu.be/HAeOJLXyl3Y

http://youtu.be/buuC2IHqgCk

And the whole atmosphere is seemingly shot with an opiated fugue, which actually works really well.

The bad guy is also excellent, he's pretty much an evil version of Niles Frasier.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, that was awful. Nothing in that ~6 minutes made me consider watching another frame, sorry.

Also, I'm guessing you meant to reply to a thread rather than make a new one?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
My wife & I actually caught up on this show this past weekend and really like it. The plot is ridiculous and over the top but hey, it's on Cinemax.

It's also already been renewed for Season 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like this show quite a bit. It's a lot of fun and completely ridiculous. But at the same time I do find the story pretty intriguing and want to know where it goes next. I know it's Cinemax, but I could do without the gratuitous sex scene that's wedged into every episode as well. This is also the first Cinemax show I've seen that actually looks well made. As if the people making it know how to actually make a TV and shoot it well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm rather enjoying this series so far. And the linked fight scene is probably the most brutal I've ever seen on television.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Deadpool posted:

I know it's Cinemax, but I could do without the gratuitous sex scene that's wedged into every episode as well. This is also the first Cinemax show I've seen that actually looks well made.

I've never found it "gratuitous". It seems like it's just the same as True Blood or any other HBO/Starz/Showtime show. Also, the female lead is incredibly hot and neither my wife nor I mind when she's naked on the screen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
agreed, my woman gets a wet spot for her too. I love Banshee and Spartacus night.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

This is also the first Cinemax show I've seen that actually looks well made. As if the people making it know how to actually make a TV and shoot it well.

Never watched Strike Back then?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rocksicles posted:

agreed, my woman gets a wet spot for her too. I love Banshee and Spartacus night.

This show is basically modern day Spartacus when it comes to sex and violence.

Personally, I love it. The main character is kind of raw in way that you rarely see. I constantly have the feeling that he might kill someone horribly at any moment.

I also find the main villain great. Want to know how he went from Amish to crime lord. His creepy henchman/assassin is awesome too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you havent seen these its worth checking

http://www.welcometobanshee.com/episodes/episode_1.html

also source the prequel comic, it is the story of the events leading up to the robbery of the Diamonds.

Check out your man in his native New Zealand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibew-vGffH0

Team BBQ Sauce.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 12, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

Strike Back is just a re-air of a Sky1 (UK) show. Production values are pretty low but it's sorta enjoyable. Cinemax will be doing the same thing this summer with the Transporter tv series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Yes, I have. It's not very good at all.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Strike Back is just a re-air of a Sky1 (UK) show. Production values are pretty low but it's sorta enjoyable. Cinemax will be doing the same thing this summer with the Transporter tv series.

That's terrible as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We talking about the co production Strike Back, not the original with Richard Armatidge ?

The new one is freaking brilliant.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Yes, I have. It's not very good at all.

That's terrible as well.

Wow. Strike Back is awesome and I really think it has some of the best production values i've ever seen in a series. It's well-shot, has great locations, action scenes, everything, it's pretty much movie-quality. Every episode is like a mini action movie. The Transporter show is completely awful though and is orders of magnitude worse than Strike Back.

e:

quote:

Strike Back is just a re-air of a Sky1 (UK) show.

Actually it's a Cinemax co-production, it airs on Cinemax first.

I'm enjoying Banshee as well, it's got a fun over the top feel and moments like the fight in episode 3 in the OP are fantastically brutal. Still think the lead is a little bland but he's got menace I suppose. Also does anyone think it's a little bit dangerous for him to live in such a prominent place next to the bar without even door locks apparently?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously... how does this suck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0IF-qtSUs

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Because next season they are going to hunt down Longinus lance in a temple with mystical monks ?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha, cool i'm down for that.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
I've been enjoying the show so far. Its a bit brutal at times but I like it. Strike Back is good too..

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Dantes posted:

Because next season they are going to hunt down Longinus lance in a temple with mystical monks ?

I kind of hate you for reminding me of that :sigh:

But yeah, I'm catching up on this show because of my love for Strike Back, and even though I'm only on episode 2, it's enjoyable so far. Job is pretty amazing, I think he's my favourite character and hope he shows up in Banshee. Characters like him and Lafayette have a direct line to my heart.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Alan Ball likes his tough fighting gay men, in ladies clothes.

he's already in Banshee, he turned up at the end of the second last episode and he was in the last one casing an armoured car. He met Butch

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 13, 2013

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm enjoying Banshee as well, it's got a fun over the top feel and moments like the fight in episode 3 in the OP are fantastically brutal. Still think the lead is a little bland but he's got menace I suppose.

Fot the lead of the show he's very bland but that seems to be the whole point. We don't even know his real name, just that he's been in jail for 15 years thinking of nothing else but getting back with Anna/Carrie and now he's found her she has a new life she values more then getting back with him. His fake identity he picked up on an impulse is pretty much all he's got now.

quote:

Also does anyone think it's a little bit dangerous for him to live in such a prominent place next to the bar without even door locks apparently?

Better not make it too difficult for the insanely gorgeous Amish girl going to get in.

messiercup
Mar 2, 2011

I really enjoy Banshee. It's a stereotypical action show, but it's enjoyable for the most part. One of the more enjoyable things on TV lately, to be honest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone that watches this is aware of the fact that there's a short scene after the credits on every episode right? I mean it's never anything too important, but I wanted to make sure that everyone did know that in case they turned it off during the credits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last episode was really great. Nice insight into Girl Deputy's personality. I rather enjoyed her dropping it on Hood that she already expects them to hook up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Everyone that watches this is aware of the fact that there's a short scene after the credits on every episode right? I mean it's never anything too important, but I wanted to make sure that everyone did know that in case they turned it off during the credits.

I did not know this! poo poo.

So with Strike Back, is it only the latest season with Cinemax that's really good/has the awesome production values? After digging this and hearing a ton about the cinematography on that show, I'd like to get into it, but it's not the sort of thing I'm usually into so I have no problem skipping the early seasons if they're not as good.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bown posted:

I did not know this! poo poo.

So with Strike Back, is it only the latest season with Cinemax that's really good/has the awesome production values? After digging this and hearing a ton about the cinematography on that show, I'd like to get into it, but it's not the sort of thing I'm usually into so I have no problem skipping the early seasons if they're not as good.

The first season isn't Cinemax, but the following two (subtitled Project Dawn and Vengeance) are. The first season with Richard Armitage wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, but you can definitely see the difference when they get that Cinemax budget. More expansive shots, better practical and computer effects, and a bigger cast. So yeah, you could technically go into Cinemax's Strike Back without watching the previous season, because they almost wipe the slate clean (different cast, different locations, even the organization has a more military feel than the first season), but the Armitage season is still a good watch on its own. Also it's really short, 6 episodes if I remember that right? And each Cinemax season is only 10 episodes, split into five 2-episode arcs. If you have the free time, I'd say just go ahead and watch it all, it can't hurt any.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, there have been 2 seasons on Cinemax so far, both are really good. It really starts to pick up at episodes 5 & 6 of the first Cinemax season.

If you have the time and can find it, the original UK Sky 1 series of Strike Back is worth watching too, if quite a bit different from the Cinemax version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey OP, if I write up a nice summary will you replace your low content post?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do it, this show deserves a strong opening post, put in the links for the prequel comic and the prequel episodes from the website. they really open up the story

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Hey OP, if I write up a nice summary will you replace your low content post?

Absolutely!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

osietra posted:

Absolutely!

Sweet, on it in a bit.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The team are plagued by the continuing flu outbreak, Hood and the rest of team are pushed to the brink as they find it hard to deal with the flashbacks. A man's efforts to track down his ex-wife result in a car crash, but once Sheriff Hood knocks some sense into him, he reveals how she might be able to save their son, the boy she abandoned as a baby 10 years ago.

This is tonight's plot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I see this thread is dead as hell but I just wanted to say that Albino is one of the best villains I've ever seen.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
I get that rape is a thing of having power over another being but letting anyone with a grudge free access to your genitals seems like the worst idea ever next to trying to gently caress a power outlet.

Dantes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 16, 2013

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm a huge fan of this show. Its pretty stupid, but its really satisfying to watch. The lead guy is a total badass, the villain is really cool and I'm a big fan of the violence. When that guy falls into the anvil in the first episode I basically lost my poo poo.

This show is heavy on rapists getting beaten up. I don't know how many more times they can play that card, but I could probably accept one more.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I never thought it would be Chief Burrell who got to kill Maurice Levy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I see this thread is dead as hell but I just wanted to say that Albino is one of the best villains I've ever seen.

I love him. He's so ridiculous. The world's most straightforward prison rapist.

Another fun episode. I think this is to me what Pretty Little Liars/Revenge are to some people, it's so dumb but I enjoy watching it a lot more than some technically "better" TV.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

The albino looks just like Duncan Goodhew which, if you're English at least, gives all his scenes a weird undercurrent.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. I'm pretty sure the albino was brit too, he failed at quite a few hurdles of enunciation.

And there was a PSVita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah hes british English

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2013

• Locked thread