Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I'm glad V2's getting a new expansion, because AHD has some quirks:

They've had "annex Tibet" as their wargoal for the past 4 years, and I'm not letting them do it (nor would the AI in my position: it's 85 warscore and they're barely at 30) so presumably they're hoping to cut their losses and take NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE instead.

EDIT: NO_TEXT_FOR_KEYSTATE cost 0 warscore, but the Brits would take that and not a white peace. It resulted in me losing no land.

ya, NO_KEY thing means that they added a wargoal for a state that doesnt exist. Which is why you dont lose land and it has peace cost 0. I have never seen this happen, is it from a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I was playing as the Ashikaga in EU3+, and I noticed that there was a decision to convert to Catholicism if at least one province is Catholic. When do Christian missionaries start popping up? The Holy Japanese Empire calls for me!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
How does Steppe Wolf work? Will non-Europeans be technological backwaters even if I'm starting in 11AD?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

How does Steppe Wolf work? Will non-Europeans be technological backwaters even if I'm starting in 11AD?
From the Steppe Wolf LP, nope. Actually, it seems like it's remarkably fair, not to mention it's easy for states to change their technology group all the drat time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's AD 1430, and by an incredible stroke of luck I just inherited all of Egypt.

I'm not even sure where to go with this now, I have so many possibilities. The Timurids gave me the fight of my life in the opening decade because Timur decided to cling to life a lot longer than usual, and I'm still kind of reeling from that.

First order of business I think should be taking over the Black Sea littoral. Then I guess it's a coin flip over expanding eastward or westward.

Westernizing is going to be a bitch, though.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Has there been any pre-release documentation on March of the Eagles? I love me some Napoleonic Era, but would like something closer to EU3 than V2. V2 is hard and I am dumb.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Raserys posted:

I was playing as the Ashikaga in EU3+, and I noticed that there was a decision to convert to Catholicism if at least one province is Catholic. When do Christian missionaries start popping up? The Holy Japanese Empire calls for me!

When you meet Europeans (this will take a while), you will eventually get a decision for 200 gold to send for a Western Embassy Mission. Do it, and become at least even between narrowminded and innovative. You will get an event eventually to get a Christian Missionary province modifier, which in turn will eventually flip the province Catholic. Make sure you don't unite Japan though, once you become Japan you cannot become Catholic, but if you already were Catholic you can unite Japan under a Catholic ruler.

E:

MC2552John posted:

Has there been any pre-release documentation on March of the Eagles? I love me some Napoleonic Era, but would like something closer to EU3 than V2. V2 is hard and I am dumb.

As I understand, MoE isn't really anything like EU3 or V2. It's basically a lite Total War game. I'm normally game for any Paradox grand strategy game, but I'm probably going to pass on this one, warfare just ain't my thing.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 13, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

podcat posted:

ya, NO_KEY thing means that they added a wargoal for a state that doesnt exist. Which is why you dont lose land and it has peace cost 0. I have never seen this happen, is it from a mod?

This was Vanilla V2 AHD.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Ha ha no. If you're starting in 11 AD the Roman Empire will be he third-least advanced society there is, barely a leg up from Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals, while India, East Asia, the "barbarians" of Northern Europe, and Aksum in Ethiopia are hundreds of years more technologically advanced.

This is a double-edged sword because the latter groups will all not gain tech levels at all for a good 200 or so years. Also, despite being tech level 10 to Rome's 2, Aksum has terrible starting units and not very good provinces so it's not a great choice (though your merchants will kick Roman ones' asses and let you dominate all of Rome's many, many Centers of Trade, so there's that).

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Patter Song posted:

Ha ha no. If you're starting in 11 AD the Roman Empire will be he third-least advanced society there is, barely a leg up from Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals, while India, East Asia, the "barbarians" of Northern Europe, and Aksum in Ethiopia are hundreds of years more technologically advanced.

This is a double-edged sword because the latter groups will all not gain tech levels at all for a good 200 or so years. Also, despite being tech level 10 to Rome's 2, Aksum has terrible starting units and not very good provinces so it's not a great choice (though your merchants will kick Roman ones' asses and let you dominate all of Rome's many, many Centers of Trade, so there's that).
I don't mean starting tech levels, I mean will a Native American society with level 100 military or something still be limited to retarded units while the equivalent-level Eurasian society has access to units that will wreck me even if I outnumber them 10-1? How do the tech groups work, is what I'm asking.

Also, is it even possible to roll back to 5.1 on Steam? I want to give this a try, but it's apparently broken as poo poo on 5.2.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't mean starting tech levels, I mean will a Native American society with level 100 military or something still be limited to retarded units while the equivalent-level Eurasian society has access to units that will wreck me even if I outnumber them 10-1? How do the tech groups work, is what I'm asking.

Also, is it even possible to roll back to 5.1 on Steam? I want to give this a try, but it's apparently broken as poo poo on 5.2.

As of Steppe Wolfe: Phoenix, Westernizing automatically gets you into the units group of the group you've Westernized to. While you need sliders to join the Modern Latin group, any state with an Eastern tech group neighbor can instantly assume near-Latin tech speeds and units just as good if not better than the Latins have. In addition, the East Asian and Muslim units are not bad at all. You're going to want to get out of the Nomad group, African group, or Native American group eventually, but it's not hard to do so in the former two cases if you start the game after ~600 AD, and actually it's reasonably easy to do very well as Africans. Native Americans require more finesse, but in the current build of Steppe Wolfe: Phoenix it's literally impossible for anyone on the old world to reach the new world from the 11 AD start (it's impossible to adopt Quest for the New World so you have to start in a start date where a country already has it). It's also worth pointing out that, as in EU3 vanilla, there's only one set of artillery techs, so even if your infantry and cavalry kind of suck, you'll be getting the same artillery.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not even sure where to go with this now,

First order of business I think should be taking over the Black Sea littoral.

Consider pushing for the gates of Vienna. You still have the tech on your side and you'll be a hundred years early! An early defeat of Austria will save you a lot of grief later on.

As an aside, after looking it up, I now know the word littoral!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm pretty sure 5.1 is actually the current Steam version, 5.2 is still in beta.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

I just bought March of the Eagles so if someone wants a key to Sengoku they can have it, I have the complete EU3 as well if someone wants that.

Hell I'll take 'em both if you still got it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/opmandrake/

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Modding question: is there any reason that a triggered modifier could fire over and over again? I've been doing some stuff with MiscMods Expanded and now the Baltic/Black Sea sound toll events show up every couple of months. It doesn't happen with any of the others and I'm completely baffled by how this is possible.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Modding question: is there any reason that a triggered modifier could fire over and over again? I've been doing some stuff with MiscMods Expanded and now the Baltic/Black Sea sound toll events show up every couple of months. It doesn't happen with any of the others and I'm completely baffled by how this is possible.

The trade modifiers were changed in one of the 5.2 beta patches, and if your version of Miscmods hasn't been updated to account for that, the events will continuously fire.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jabarto posted:

The 5.2 beta has different sound toll events than 5.1. If you drop a mod that perpetuates some of the old, 5.1 sound toll stuff into a 5.2 installation of EU3, that will happen. I have a 5.2 compatibility patch for Expanded that should fix that particular problem among others. It's in this post on the paradox forums: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?528878-%28MOD%29-MiscMods&p=14231574&highlight=#post14231574

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not even sure where to go with this now, I have so many possibilities.

Push west ASAP while your units are still better and before any real blobs can start to form. The Black Sea provinces suck and you can always grab then from whatever shithole owns them later. Austria, on the other hand, is only going to get more powerful. Strike while the iron is hot.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kersch posted:

The 5.2 beta has different sound toll events than 5.1. If you drop a mod that perpetuates some of the old, 5.1 sound toll stuff into a 5.2 installation of EU3, that will happen. I have a 5.2 compatibility patch for Expanded that should fix that particular problem among others. It's in this post on the paradox forums: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?528878-%28MOD%29-MiscMods&p=14231574&highlight=#post14231574

Thanks! I must have forgotten to add the compatibility patch when I reinstalled the mod a while back.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's AD 1430, and by an incredible stroke of luck I just inherited all of Egypt.

I'm not even sure where to go with this now, I have so many possibilities. The Timurids gave me the fight of my life in the opening decade because Timur decided to cling to life a lot longer than usual, and I'm still kind of reeling from that.

First order of business I think should be taking over the Black Sea littoral. Then I guess it's a coin flip over expanding eastward or westward.

Westernizing is going to be a bitch, though.

I'd personally go south into Arabia and grab Mecca if able to, then just rest for a while and let the cores roll in/war exhaustion erode. Modernization's gonna hurt either way, so best not to get too far ahead of yourself.

Any other European powers you're worried about at this point, aside from the usual?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would push west ASAP and cripple the major Christian kingdoms while you're still close in tech and your units are better. You might consider just not westernizing and instead conquering everyone who has a better tech % than you do, much more fun.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Ottoroman Empire, clearly. You already have like 2 of the most important parts.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Sulla posted:

Hell I'll take 'em both if you still got it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/opmandrake/

Cool, I sent you a friend invite so I can send them in a message.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

EU3+. My full-morale army is going into battle and getting continually stomped because the morale is always poo poo. There is absolute fuckall I can do to beat this stack. Is this WAD?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

EU3+. My full-morale army is going into battle and getting continually stomped because the morale is always poo poo. There is absolute fuckall I can do to beat this stack. Is this WAD?

Is your army fully funded? From the looks of it you've got your army funding set at like 10% and you forgot.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

uPen posted:

Is your army fully funded? From the looks of it you've got your army funding set at like 10% and you forgot.
:shepicide:

It's gonna take me a minute to get used to EU3 again.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

:shepicide:

It's gonna take me a minute to get used to EU3 again.

I remember getting real mad at that like 3 days ago.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What's CK2 like for complexity? I don't have time to learn complex games, so CK1 and HoI2 are the only ones I've played that don't boggle my tiny brain (out of, I think, Rome, EU2+3, Victoria 2).

Also, I want to play Arsenal of Democracy as a kind and friendly Germany, and then have war break out in another way. I remember doing this with the original HoI2, either attacked by a dictatorial France, or USSR going Red Alert. Either the AI is less crazy in AoD, or it gets broken by Germany's inaction. So here's the question: what's the most logical scenario? I don't mind switching countries and making them declare war and then switching back, but for example, when and on who would the USSR be likely to declare war on? Or would the US make the first move? Or would France go Fascist and get revenge on the Krauts for WWI, dragging their allies into the fight?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Project1 posted:

What's CK2 like for complexity? I don't have time to learn complex games, so CK1 and HoI2 are the only ones I've played that don't boggle my tiny brain (out of, I think, Rome, EU2+3, Victoria 2).
CK2 is by far the best Paradox has ever done in this regard. It'll still take a while to fully grasp the implications of the laws and logic governing titles and inheritance but it's universally regarded as their best-executed and most accessible title with good reason. Kersch's legendary LP is also the most helpful instructional resource that's ever existed for a Paradox game.

On that note, I've seen it asked a few times since the recent Amazon sale without much in the way of answers but I'll give it another shot: how are you supposed to learn to play V2? Any LPs that might not be on the level of the aforementioned but worth a look? I really need to see someone put it all in action as opposed to a list of tips and principles.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is the closest thing to a proper Vicky 2 mod still A Pop Divided? It's awful.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Note Russia's military size, then the warscore. Russia's clearly convinced it's still in this thing, despite having no military whatsoever.

What does this actually mean in practical terms?

-16 warscore. Russia thinks it's the modest favorite to win this war.

I just want Northern Manchuria back. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Violence Gang posted:

On that note, I've seen it asked a few times since the recent Amazon sale without much in the way of answers but I'll give it another shot: how are you supposed to learn to play V2? Any LPs that might not be on the level of the aforementioned but worth a look? I really need to see someone put it all in action as opposed to a list of tips and principles.

Our own ZearothK did a Victoria LP, but that was before AHD and used the PDM mod, and I think it requires archives. I'd write something, but taking screenshots is :effort: and it's just be long paragraphs of words.

Patter Song posted:

Note Russia's military size, then the warscore. Russia's clearly convinced it's still in this thing, despite having no military whatsoever.

I think the warscore of a province is computed based on its population, industry, etc., so taking all that land-area in Podunk Siberia isn't contributing a lot.

Still waiting for EU4's goal-based warscoring!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There's actually quite a few Vic 2 mods out there, just nobody ever tests them for quality. The only ones I've ever heard mentioned here are PDM/A Pop Divided, that terrible Equestria mod, Divergences and the random map generator. And I'm not even sure those last two have been updated for AHD.

Vanilla isn't perfect, but it's good enough compared to APD slowing my game to a crawl.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 14, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Put your mouse over the warscore bar in the diplo screen so we can see wtf is going on there. Russia must be occupying some high pop/ind provinces.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

Put your mouse over the warscore bar in the diplo screen so we can see wtf is going on there. Russia must be occupying some high pop/ind provinces.

No, it isn't. Russia won some battles against my lesser allies years and years ago (this is year 6 of the war) and got up to the 25 from battles cap, and because they now have no military forces whatsoever I can't lower their battle score because I have no one to beat. I've now pushed as far west as Astrakhan and intend to keep going west, but I occupy an unbroken string of provinces from the Caspian to the Pacific Ocean and there is absolutely nothing Russia can do to stop me, but it will take another 2-3 years to build up warscore.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

No, Russia, you're not winning the war. Seriously. I'm in Belarus.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

No, Russia, you're not winning the war. Seriously. I'm in Belarus.

I think it's time for a diplomacy cheat, honestly.

I hope they make war score more modable in Heart of Darkness, or add something like the War Goals system they're planning for EU IV.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Obviously you've got to burn down Saint Petersburg. That will get the point across.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seriously, how have you not ferried some troops around the continent to siege eastern Russia?

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

The V2 warscore system had a few "retardations". We are redoing that a bit for HoD. I agree those screenshots are super dumb.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^

drat, that would be great.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

A Srb Divided based on the Multi-Award-Winning-Succession-Something-Awful-Let's-Play :colbert:. Currently in beta. It is still missing some of the planned events and POP adjustments I intend, but is perfectly playable right now. Development has slowed while I drink myself silly over having to convert it to A Heart of Darkness any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

podcat posted:

The V2 warscore system had a few "retardations". We are redoing that a bit for HoD. I agree those screenshots are super dumb.

It's always great to see posts like this. :)

In other news, I pre-ordered MotE. It... only dawned to me afterwards that it being paired with Sengoku might be trying to get a point across. :negative:
I suppose I'll see if I threw my money away on Monday. Worst case scenario I spent 18 euros on forum icons.

• Locked thread