Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

keyframe posted:

Both PS3 and 360 are ancient consoles but I would hardly lay the blame there. For starters if Naughty Dog can make their games look a trillion times better than A:CM and have amazing animations in it at the same time there is clearly something wrong with Gearbox.

Not to mention the PC version looks like something you would buy from GoG and not a game released in 2013.

Speaking of GOG, they finally got the rights for System Shock 2! If you really want a creepy Sci-Fi Shooter but that one, you will not be disappointed. Also it looks almost as good as ACM :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm playing through this now, and I'm getting frustrated. It keeps giving me FLASHES of stuff that feels like Aliens...then doing something different. Like, I find an environment that looks straight out of Cameron or Scott's mind, then I get generic grey corridor straight after.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Is it me, or did they remove the "host game" button from co-op with the latest patch? Because I can't find it at all. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Batham posted:

Is it me, or did they remove the "host game" button from co-op with the latest patch? Because I can't find it at all. :v:

They want to save people from playing their own game.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh boy, Amazon is selling it for 70$ what a deal.

poo poo, maybe I should sell this mint condition boxed copy of AvP2 laying around.

Anyway, this is off topic but does anyone know an RTS where you play as something resembling the Xenomorphs? Preferably singleplayer.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
I don't know about you guys, but I am having a hell of a hard time finding anyone to play with in co-op. Surely I'm not the only rube who bought this lovely game :v:.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Minorkos posted:

poo poo, maybe I should sell this mint condition boxed copy of AvP2 laying around.

Anyway, this is off topic but does anyone know an RTS where you play as something resembling the Xenomorphs? Preferably singleplayer.

Dawn of War has the Tyranid, Starcraft has the Zerg. Other than that...hmmm, I can't think of anything else.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh boy, Amazon is selling it for 70$ what a deal.

I can't imagine anyone actually buying an old game at that sort of inflated price just to be sure to get it new and sealed, when on ebay you can get it for £1. (Except maybe some sort of collector nerd who likes it sitting on a shelf on in a box unopened, forever.)

brozozo posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I am having a hell of a hard time finding anyone to play with in co-op. Surely I'm not the only rube who bought this lovely game :v:.

I think most people do Friends-only co-op games, rather than with random people.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Isn't AvP2 :filez: all over the place as well?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Minorkos posted:

AVP Extinction

Seriously though, just get Starcraft 2 when Heart of the swarm comes out.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I just noticed Ashly Burch gets higher billing than Lance Henriksen in the opening credits.

:negative:

Will the indignities never end?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

BadLlama posted:

Isn't AvP2 :filez: all over the place as well?

I would imagine so, the pirate community is usually pretty good at making old games available. They usually even include all necessary patches and guides how to run the game on Windows 7 and how to use widescreen resolutions.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

your evil twin posted:

I think most people do Friends-only co-op games, rather than with random people.

Well, drat. Looking on the bright side, none of my friends were dumb enough to buy the game! Jeez, the one guy I asked if he would buy it seemed pretty wary. Should have listened...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have a disked copy of AvP2, it was a Sierra re-release, their Gold line or something, but it had no problems running on Win7 as far as I remember.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a disked copy of AvP2, it was a Sierra re-release, their Gold line or something, but it had no problems running on Win7 as far as I remember.

That's the one that I have, somewhere around here. Yeah, I remember it working last time I installed it.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

keyframe posted:

Both PS3 and 360 are ancient consoles but I would hardly lay the blame there. For starters if Naughty Dog can make their games look a trillion times better than A:CM and have amazing animations in it at the same time there is clearly something wrong with Gearbox.
Oh I agree it still could've looked a lot better, memory issues or not. Even aside from the exclusive games Naughty Dog does, seeing other cross-platform games like the ME series, which use the same drat engine as A:CM, shows it can still look awesome.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere
This game is actually pretty fun when doing 4 person coop on ultimate badass. Assuming you don't take it too seriously. Getting through the level where you have to be silent was hilarious.

I found versus multiplayer games to be decent as well, it doesn't feel as shiny as the newer games, but the game play is there. If they had actually finished this game it could have been amazing.

I only paid $30 for this and don't feel as cheated as I did day 1 doing the campaign by myself. Can't say it should ever be a full price purchase though, $19.99 bargain bin special.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
This plays, looks and feels like a Doom 3 community mod from 2007. I seriously do not remember any ue3 engine game looking this bad. Pretty great hardly getting 40fps on a crossfire 7770 setup and a 3570k at 4.2ghz. Icing on the cake.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

That's weird, I get a steady framerate of 62, and that's because the game itself is limited to that (apparently can disable that in the config files, but since my monitor has 60hz refresh rate, not much point in doing that.) I've got a GTX 560 TI graphics card, that's about a year old, everything else in my PC is several years old, it has a 2.9ghz quad core processor.

dunkan posted:

This game is actually pretty fun when doing 4 person coop on ultimate badass. Assuming you don't take it too seriously. Getting through the level where you have to be silent was hilarious.

I found versus multiplayer games to be decent as well, it doesn't feel as shiny as the newer games, but the game play is there. If they had actually finished this game it could have been amazing.

I only paid $30 for this and don't feel as cheated as I did day 1 doing the campaign by myself. Can't say it should ever be a full price purchase though, $19.99 bargain bin special.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. I can't recommend anyone buy it full retail price, but so far I've had fun with it.

It's like a really, really good fan-made mod rather than a retail triple-A blockbuster game, but since I spent a couple of years playing hundreds of Half-Life 1 mods, I can live with that.

brozozo posted:

If you like, add me as a friend on Steam (I assume you are playing on PC). There's also the Goons vs Predator and Colonial Goons steam groups.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 13, 2013

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

your evil twin posted:

I can't imagine anyone actually buying an old game at that sort of inflated price just to be sure to get it new and sealed, when on ebay you can get it for £1. (Except maybe some sort of collector nerd who likes it sitting on a shelf on in a box unopened, forever.)

I was an owner of Starfleet Command 3 (It got pulled within a month or two of release due to a lawsuit between Activision and Paramount) and only had it in the jewel case, and some person bought it off of me for $150.00 on Amazon. Ditto for Bridge Commander. Lots of older PC games go for inflated prices, so whenever I need cash I just check through my old games. I've sold quite a few this way, because it is the only legitimate way to purchase many titles. I even had a copy of Starshatter or something that was a third party indie title with a limited run (now it is available as freeware I think) but sold it for like $80-$90. Even made $70 selling my Armada 2 copy.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Woah. I'm gonna have to take a look at my own collection.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Just wondering, am I the only one who refuses to use the iron sights on the Pulse Rifle? It's supposed to be hipfired, damnit! :colbert:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Batham posted:

Just wondering, am I the only one who refuses to use the iron sights on the Pulse Rifle? It's supposed to be hipfired, damnit! :colbert:

The first time they showed iron sights in this game I realized that something had gone horribly wrong and swore it off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Batham posted:

My first upgrade was the laser sight so I never needed to ADS ever. It's a loving pulse rifle, you don't need to be accurate.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Alright, I'm not so immersed in Alien lore that I know anything about the pulse rifle other than it looks cool and makes a cool noise. What is it about the gun that makes iron sights/red dot such a big no-no? Paging Xenomprh, please advise.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
WY probably intentionally designed the pulse rifle without sights so the military would have to keep buying those explosive-tipped rounds.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Require More Fire posted:

Alright, I'm not so immersed in Alien lore that I know anything about the pulse rifle other than it looks cool and makes a cool noise. What is it about the gun that makes iron sights/red dot such a big no-no? Paging Xenomprh, please advise.

It never actually had sights at all before this game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nothing specific, its just that in Aliens all of the gung-ho marines that were so highly trained just sprayed from the hip once poo poo got real. If you want to feel like Hudson in his final scene where he's screaming at the Xenos to come at him, you can't use iron sights.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think the general idea is that since the weapon is so faithfully recreated and the game pretends to be placed in more or less the movie, you want to relive that movie from your own perspective, i.e. instead of scoring pinpoint between the eyes (what eyes?) headshots, you want to just hold down the trigger and spray towards whatever evil looking is heading your way, tearing off limbs, claws and the occasional head alongside whatever happens to be behind and around your target. There are a lot of reasons why the pulse rifle holds 99 rounds and twitch fire is definitely one.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

Popelmon posted:

Speaking of GOG, they finally got the rights for System Shock 2! If you really want a creepy Sci-Fi Shooter but that one, you will not be disappointed. Also it looks almost as good as ACM :v:.

Boy I never expected to hear that news in this thread. That's awesome! :dance:

Still trying to grasp the challenge system. It's weird; there are times it makes more sense to just die firing a stupid weapon and do a section over and over again.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

workingdogv1 posted:

Still trying to grasp the challenge system. It's weird; there are times it makes more sense to just die firing a stupid weapon and do a section over and over again.

That's because it's a lovely linear system where you can't just play however you want if you actually want to unlock things. I'm stuck on kill 2 enemies at once with the primary fire of the pump shotgun (I've bloodied so many drones and had them right next to each other or right behind each other and would never kill both so I gave up). I'm also expecting to get stuck on Cat-Like Reflexes where you need to pounce 3 marines in 10 seconds. Oh, and then the kill 2 enemies with one shotgun shot in MP. That's going to be pretty impossible unless I get 2 other people in a private game to just let me do it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm still wondering how Gearbox thought it was a "badass" idea to include even hints of a loving loot game in an Aliens FPS. I get that it's nice to find weapons "as they appeared in the movie" (except when they don't actually appear like they did in the movie but the though counts right guys? Right?!) some people really get off on that poo poo. Even so, having LEGENDARY WEAPON ACQUIRED scrolling across the screen just because you picked up a gun in an standard FPS feels like desperate pandering to the wrong sort of people.

Then again, they did essentially make a game based around bad fan-fiction, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
People keep bringing up good Aliens games, a more recent one being Infestation for DS. It's heavily inspired by Metroid, which was heavily inspired by Aliens.

The back of the box says that it's a Gearbox game but dont worry, it's actually a Wayforward game.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Thumbnail looks like a screenshot from UT99 but click it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is a pretty good look at the demo and final differences of the game. Its a very good question they ask, what the hell happened to this game?!

Apologies if its already been posted. But seriously, the lighting, just :stare:

Oh wow. OK, I take back my earlier "It's mediocre, not a shitpile" assessment. What the gently caress happened here!? Is it like Dark Souls PC where they shipped it with a forced low-res mode? Or did they literally strip everything out for no apparent reason?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

People keep bringing up good Aliens games, a more recent one being Infestation for DS. It's heavily inspired by Metroid, which was heavily inspired by Aliens.

The back of the box says that it's a Gearbox game but dont worry, it's actually a Wayforward game.

It doesn't really play much like Metroid and is honestly kind of boring. There's little sense of progression and 90% of the marines are worthless unless you intentionally die to recruit them.

Still is way way better than A:CM.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

pixelbaron posted:

It's always good to see more people playing AvP2 these da-

:stare:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

pixelbaron posted:

Hoooooly poo poo :psyduck:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

pixelbaron posted:

Oh, hi textures from 2002, where have you been all these years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

pixelbaron posted:

I don't get it?

• Locked thread