Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's a sag option on cycle ergo, I'd usually default to around 2.5 inches for a dualsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awdeetdeet
May 26, 2008
Hello CA, just got my motorcycle endorsement put on my license a few weeks ago and looking for my first bike. I'm eyeing this guy http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3574124116.html, thinking about offering $2,400. Should I try to go lower?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, it's obviously been dropped or crashed on the left side. Dropped = no big deal. Crashed = could be a bunch of trouble. Maybe take along a friend who knows motorcycles so he can look for anything unusual?

2400 seems fair to me.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Sagebrush posted:

Well, it's obviously been dropped or crashed on the left side. Dropped = no big deal. Crashed = could be a bunch of trouble. Maybe take along a friend who knows motorcycles so he can look for anything unusual?

2400 seems fair to me.

I agree with Sagebrush here. (From a guy who is about to sell a 2010 250 in Southern California)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought that 2008 Ninja, $550.

From what I can tell, the upper fairing is hosed proper, might need a new headlight, there's something up with the rear trim + light, and there's a few scratches on the fairings.

I think I could have done worse.

Polaris_Echoes
Dec 6, 2009

Phone posted:

I bought that 2008 Ninja, $550.

From what I can tell, the upper fairing is hosed proper, might need a new headlight, there's something up with the rear trim + light, and there's a few scratches on the fairings.

I think I could have done worse.

I'm jealous. Is the title clear? Little bit of work and it looks like you'll have a great ride. I'd probably just make it naked rather than dumping 2 grand into plastics but that's just me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Title is more than clear, it's hilarious: the title is dated 1/16/2013, and then the shop receipt is dated 1/22/2013. Quick sell.

I posted in the Ninja thread, but it's not going to be $2k

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcd/3607793535.html

Does this look like a decent enough deal? Something tells me the only reason it was streetfightered and done up with a new paint job were because the fairings and paint were hosed but if its in decent mechanical condition $1200 seems pretty good.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That hasn't been turned into a streetfighter, it's been crashed and repaired with the most minimal effort possible. No gauges...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nsaP posted:

That hasn't been turned into a streetfighter, it's been crashed and repaired with the most minimal effort possible. No gauges...

Yeah, look at that loving tank, "never dropped at speed" my rear end. "Satin black" = he hosed this thing up bad, rattle-canned the tank, threw out the busted gauges, and put in those rear end-ugly lights. Wonder what he did to gently caress up the front-end like that, from the pictures it looks like he just ruined the top front end of the bike. Maybe he had to LAYER DAN and the front slid into a pole?

Edit: I loving hate Craigslist sellers. Scum of the earth.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, look at that loving tank, "never dropped at speed" my rear end. "Satin black" = he hosed this thing up bad, rattle-canned the tank, threw out the busted gauges, and put in those rear end-ugly lights. Wonder what he did to gently caress up the front-end like that, from the pictures it looks like he just ruined the top front end of the bike. Maybe he had to LAYER DAN and the front slid into a pole?

Edit: I loving hate Craigslist sellers. Scum of the earth.

Maybe it was parked and someone wrecked it.. In that case he wouldn't technically be lying :shobon:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

"never dropped at speed" must mean "lifted with a crane upside down and dropped at 6 feet" to make a dent like that. those lights look off center too, maybe that's just photo weirdness though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend in SoCal (Carlsbad, specifically) needs a reliable bike under $1200 ASAP. Anybody know anybody selling anything that will not break down on him? His Ninja 250 has literally a million issues and finally kicked the bucket for the time being and he has no other vehicle at the moment. :ohdear:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Xovaan posted:

My friend in SoCal (Carlsbad, specifically) needs a reliable bike under $1200 ASAP. Anybody know anybody selling anything that will not break down on him? His Ninja 250 has literally a million issues and finally kicked the bucket for the time being and he has no other vehicle at the moment. :ohdear:

Did some searching locally and all I could really find was a 98 vstar 650 listed for 1500 locally with 75k miles though.

Craigslist: 1998 yamaha v-star 650 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/3604318820.html

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

I fully expect it to have been dropped multiple times and would replace the front tire immediately. What's a reasonable offer?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

xd posted:

I fully expect it to have been dropped multiple times and would replace the front tire immediately. What's a reasonable offer?

2500? It doesn't get much better than that to be honest, even untitled 08 dirt 250s go for 2500.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

xd posted:

That's a good deal straight up.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

That's a good deal straight up.

Yeah, barring anything the guy hasn't told you that's a "make arrangements to meet immediately, offer him a few hundred under his asking price with cash in hand and see if he goes for it" kind of listing. I was actually just looking on philly craigslist for one and I couldn't find anything, they're hard to find and usually they ask more than what this guy is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xd posted:

That's Gainsville, GA? Let me know if you need any help re: towing the bike on a trailer.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

That's Gainsville, GA? Let me know if you need any help re: towing the bike on a trailer.

Safety Dance gonna steal yo' ride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Speaking of WRs, mine is still for sale by the dude that bought it and did a russian sub/frame reconstruction on it:

"Salvage due to parking lot tip over" also has 'new tires' (which I personally put 4k miles on) lmao, that bike totalled my supra. I feel bad for whoever buys it with that being said.

Oh, and he's asking 3800.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Would that I had the cash on hand. Also, would that I didn't already have a motard.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance where are you in Georgia? When the weather warms up we should ride.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Speaking of WRs, mine is still for sale by the dude that bought it and did a russian sub/frame reconstruction on it:
Did you do the white/blue pattern on the wheels, or did he?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

That's alright, wife's probably not going go for it. Plus she wants to get a scooter now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xd posted:

That's alright, wife's probably not going go for it. Plus she wants to get a scooter now.

Convince her that she is wrong, and that the WRX is an awesome choice if she can fit on it.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Convince her that she is wrong, and that the WRX is an awesome choice if she can fit on it.

Wow dude, calling his wife fat? I bet you don't even know her.

Hard to respect someone that wants a scooter though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Prawned posted:

Wow dude, calling his wife fat? I bet you don't even know her.

Hard to respect someone that wants a scooter though.

I mean, if she's tall enough. As I recall the WRX is pretty tall.

Sorry, Xd. Didn't mean to insult your scooter-loving wife.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

As a brand new rider, I don't think putting her on a bike that tall would be for the best. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have SM in the garage. SCOOTER :/

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Did you do the white/blue pattern on the wheels, or did he?

I did, the bike is exactly as I left it, complete with gopro sticky mounts. And +1 frame rebuild+subframe.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!

xd posted:

As a brand new rider, I don't think putting her on a bike that tall would be for the best. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have SM in the garage. SCOOTER :/

My partner started out on a WR250X and ended up doing a stoppie at 80 kph when a minivan cut her off. Grabbed a handful of front brake. Part of me still feels guilty that we bought a wr250x over a 250 with ABS (like the CBR) for her first bike.

So... my experience has been that the while the wr250x is an awesome fun bike, it probably isn't the best for a brand new rider.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with XR650s? I've had a desire for a dual-sport for a while, and my dad's friend is considering selling his XR. My main concern is that it will be a little heavy for any actual woods riding. I rode it and his 450 pretty much back to back on the ice, and the XR was noticeably heavier, so I think I already know the answer.

So basically, should I just wait for a good deal on a DRZ?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have any experience with XR650s? I've had a desire for a dual-sport for a while, and my dad's friend is considering selling his XR. My main concern is that it will be a little heavy for any actual woods riding. I rode it and his 450 pretty much back to back on the ice, and the XR was noticeably heavier, so I think I already know the answer.

So basically, should I just wait for a good deal on a DRZ?

Yeah. It can do it, but it's not gonna be as much fun as a bike meant for trails.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
So my kid brother wants to get a bike and learn to ride in the next month or two. He doesn't want either of my perfectly fine starter bike and actively for sale shadows, because they're cruisers and gently caress that. His friend started on an R6 and didn't die, so he highly recommends that because anything smaller will be outgrown in a matter of weeks.

He's taking the MSF this spring but wants a bike now to get winter prices. Against my recommendation of 'take the class and be sure it's something you want?'. I've got him talked out of the R6 to get started, steering him towards the more standard fare FZ6, CBR600F, and SV650. I took him to the international motorcycle show that was in town last weekend, and had him sit on all kinds of things to demonstrate that there's a great big difference between relaxed position sport bikes and a supersport like an R6. This much has sunk in, and he's agreed that the only options are not a 250, cruiser, or supersport.

250's are out of the question because he knows they'll be too small. In all honesty... he's north of 200lbs and over 6' tall, and he'll have me and the BRC to get him started right. This is one area that I'm inclined to actually agree with him. Though when not with me he'll have bros on supersports telling him to not be such a pussy and do more than double the limit with weeks of experience under his belt. Being limited by the machine might save his life, but he's not having that.

He's looking to finance because he wants to improve his credit. Budget ceiling of 3-4k. Help me recommend something to my future squid brother that might help him develop some reasonable skill before he gets himself killed.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 17, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halo_4am posted:

future squid brother

Recommend new friends :v:

I know gently caress-all about sport bikes, but what about something older like a VF500? Even out here in CA I've seen them in running condition for about $1200, look pretty decent, and they fit my 6' height. I'm thinking it looks kewler than a cruiser or supersport, but with the smaller engine might not get away from him? Also, 80s bike because squidboy's going to drop it in a parking lot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm 6'2" 260 and my wr250 was the bees knees. :colbert:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm looking at possibly picking up a 2002 VFR 800. I've been looking around at vfrworld, are there any issues I should look for on this bike? It's got 20k on the clock and "minor cosmetic issues". I'm going tomorrow to look at it, I've been wanting one for awhile. I just haven't seen any info on whether or not the bike has specific issues to watch out for when buying.

I usually do all my own work, how much of a nightmare is it to work on one of these? IE valve jobs, brake jobs etc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 2002 VFR 800. I've been looking around at vfrworld, are there any issues I should look for on this bike? It's got 20k on the clock and "minor cosmetic issues". I'm going tomorrow to look at it, I've been wanting one for awhile. I just haven't seen any info on whether or not the bike has specific issues to watch out for when buying.

I usually do all my own work, how much of a nightmare is it to work on one of these? IE valve jobs, brake jobs etc.

If it needs the valves adjusted it's apparently a pretty complicated job. I think some people like the vtec others don't. They got pretty big/heavy by that generation. I've only ridden the 4th and 5th gens and the 4th gen was a better bike.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I am looking at getting my first bike and have little-to-no clue where to start. First, let's be clear that I am signed up for Basic Rider Training with TeamOregon and will take the course before making any firm decisions; however, I did ride dirt bikes and quads as a kid and rode with my dad on his street bikes and do not foresee me NOT choosing to get a bike after I complete the course. I have wanted to get a bike for years and am finally in a financial position to do so and, most importantly, finally got the blessing of my wife.

So, assuming I take the course and decide to get a bike, what is a prudent way of shopping for one? I am looking at bikes in my price ($1k-$3.5k) range on Craigslist daily and constantly see bikes that I love the looks of (ranging from dual sports to Ninjas to SV650s), but how do you know if something makes for a good beginner's bike? I used to think the key criterion was engine displacement, but that doesn't seem to hold true. And what of seat height? How much variance is there on different bikes and how critical is that for a dude of average height (5'10")? I am also mechanically retarded and am worried about getting a lemon. Obviously I don't want something that appears to have been an accident, but beyond that, I don't know what to look for on a used bike.

Sorry for the vague request; the wiki didn't really touch on this and I want to make a prudent choice. Thanks for any guidance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

n8r posted:

If it needs the valves adjusted it's apparently a pretty complicated job. I think some people like the vtec others don't. They got pretty big/heavy by that generation. I've only ridden the 4th and 5th gens and the 4th gen was a better bike.

That's what I thought, I figured a v4 would be a complex job. I have a local shop I trust to do the work. This bike will be mostly for commuting and touring both solo and with the wife. I was told this one has ABS, I'm supposed to be meeting with the guy tomorrow to check it out.

Everything I've read has been really positive, there's been some complaints on the vtec and how it kicks in. Some people mentioned this could be fixed with a PC mapping to match the '06+ bikes. On the up side I could totally be all like :rice: VTECS KICKIN IN YO!

I'm looking at trading the DRZ, I can't afford to do any offroading right now which is why I bought the bike. I'm also having issues with local LEO's...