Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
1) I don't think that civil disobedience is the right frame from which to analyze the Swartz case. In fact I have high confidence it is not.

2) I think that most of the legal speculation in the last few posts suffers from the fact that the publicly available information about what Aaron did, what MIT did, what the FBI did, and when, and why, has all been very confused and contradictory.

For example:

TenementFunster posted:

the dude was obviously trying to challenge copyright law by doing something bold. mission accomplished, homeboy.

This is not obvious at all. Most people have compared Swartz's downloading to his attempt to liberate PACER's document library and have presumed him to have been working towards a similar goal with JSTOR. But Aaron, while at Stanford, had also downloaded 450,000 law review articles from Westlaw in order to analyze the relationships between researchers and their funders and the topics they were researching.

Similarly:

woozle wuzzle posted:

A guy knowingly and repeatedly tried to circumvent network protocols to download valuable material that wasn't his.

This is also not accurate. MIT operates a completely open network (and a completely open campus). At the time of the incident, anyone connected to their network (wireless or wired) automatically authenticated to JSTOR. Any schlub off the street could walk onto campus, pull out their laptop, and start downloading from JSTOR.

In other words, Swartz was fully authorized to download everything he downloaded and he circumvented no "network protocols" to do so. What he did do was a) write a script to download the articles in violation of JSTOR's TOS and b) change the MAC address on his computer so that he could reconnect to the network after his old IP address had been banned. These may well have been in violation of the CFAA (which, in my opinion, is a poorly written bill for all the reasons Paul Ohm has described), but it was not a case of hacking or copyright infringement as has been so widely and erroneously reported.

The Abelson Report is expected to be released this term. I am certain it will clear a lot of the "who knew and did what when" questions up. I'm all for speculation but I think that, if folks are serious about analyzing the case, they need to wait until at least that time.

If you really can't wait until the Abelson Report is released, then I would recommend you at least read this Slate article on Swartz, which is by far the most comprehensive, carefully researched, fact-checked version of the story available today.

Petey fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Petey posted:

1) I don't think that civil disobedience is the right frame from which to analyze the Swartz case. In fact I have high confidence it is not.

This I definitely agree with. I dunno why Orin took that angle.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of which, Petey, want to help me write a PACER scraper to make some cash money?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

Ronald Dworkin is dead. May the right answer thesis be interred with him.

The right answer thesis owns because when he discusses hercules he actually means me. I am always right.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Speaking of which, Petey, want to help me write a PACER scraper to make some cash money?

It'll probably need to wait until I am done with my thesis but sure, why the hell not.

Project Asymptote is a cool thing in this space.

quote:

Operation Asymptote is an initiative designed to download as much of PACER as possible by spreading the burden across many individuals, none of whom need to spend anything by staying under PACER's $15.00 per quarter free access allowance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pacer is The Worst Thing, though it would actually be worse if you had to pay westlaw prices for it. It's irritating in this day and age we need to rely on something as bad as that.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

woozle wuzzle posted:

There's no mens rea with losing your ring at the beach. But Schwartz was a giant ball of mens rea. The prosecution may have had difficulties proving the technical act due to a lack of MIT user agreement. But what Schwartz did is definitely against the "spirit" of computer fraud crimes. Whether or not he technically committed computer/wire fraud, he certainly intended to.

Let's say he was downloading the digital cut for the next Die Hard movie, with the same repeated attempts and clean record. He'd get a offered a felony. The money value involved here is big. Whether it's a bad Die Hard movie or public domain cure to cancer, it wasn't his. The offer just doesn't seem out-of-whack to me.

So to answer the question of should he have been offered a felony and no less, I'd say: Sure. Why not. If that series of acts ain't a felony, it besmirches the good name of felonies.

I'm not sure how mens rea enters into it, since the point isn't that the actions were exactly comparable. I'm sure we can all think of things that would technically violate the law, but shouldn't be prosecuted (or at least not prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law), even if done with intent.

Do you believe that what he did warranted 35 years (or more) in prison? Granted, the prosecutor offered a six-month plea deal, but that's kind of the point: prosecutor overcharges defendant with massive potential sentence in order to coerce a plea deal. Said plea deal prevents a potentially meritorious case from reaching trial, and leaves defendant with no recourse except to accept the deal. In a case in which even the alleged victim was against criminal charges, where the law is at best not entirely settled, and where the defendant made no profit from his actions, that seems over-aggressive to me. As Langbein points out, though, that's the problem with the system.

This isn't really the Aaron Swartz thread, though, so this may be getting to be a bit of a derail.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Petey posted:

This is also not accurate. MIT operates a completely open network (and a completely open campus). At the time of the incident, anyone connected to their network (wireless or wired) automatically authenticated to JSTOR. Any schlub off the street could walk onto campus, pull out their laptop, and start downloading from JSTOR.
Yeah this is just 100% horseshit with a progressive bow tied around it. My statement is true: "A guy knowingly and repeatedly tried to circumvent network protocols to download valuable material that wasn't his". He circumvented network protocols, not only by changing MAC address but also by physically hiding a computer after trespassing. So that's a slam dunk.

That leaves us with: He took materials that weren't his. If files are property, and property can be leased and licensed, then he stole property that wasn't his. Let's say I have a jar on my public counter that says "FREE Jelly Beans: take all you want". A guy takes one per hour, I decide I don't like his t-shirt and ask him to leave. He puts on a fake mustache and comes back to take more jelly beans, I notice and send him away again. Undeterred, he breaks in to my back storage room to hide, with a biker helmet across his face, hopping out to grab a jelly bean whenever the clerk's back is turned. He knew I didn't want him to have the property. Despite the quasi-free nature of the jelly beans to the public, they were mine to distribute and he knew I didn't want him to take them. That's called stealing. The free nature of the material doesn't change the ability of MIT to control its distribution.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 14, 2013

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

woozle wuzzle, I believe that you are significantly misunderstanding and mischaracterizing what occurred, as frankly most have, in large part because of speculative and inaccurate reporting. I think we should discuss this further once the Abelson Report has been released. I'm not saying that to hide behind it but only because I myself want to wait until after the dispositive has been released too, and because I agree that this isn't the Aaron Swartz thread.

evilweasel posted:

Pacer is The Worst Thing, though it would actually be worse if you had to pay westlaw prices for it. It's irritating in this day and age we need to rely on something as bad as that.

PACER is unconscionably terrible, though my current side project of hitting every public school and library in the country with a FOIA request might match it on the frustration front. Thank god for MuckRock.

Petey fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 14, 2013

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PACER blows but at least it exists and is reasonably complete. Good luck trying to ever retrieve a state court document or file something online outside of New York County.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Petey posted:

woozle wuzzle, I believe that you are significantly misunderstanding and mischaracterizing what occurred, as frankly most have, in large part because of speculative and inaccurate reporting. I think we should discuss this further once the Abelson Report has been released. I'm not saying that to hide behind it but only because I myself want to wait until after the dispositive has been released too, and because I agree that this isn't the Aaron Swartz thread.
So uhhh, that's not what you said. You said I was inaccurate, then gave an explanation of MIT networking about how I was wrong. Based on that explanation, with all due respect, you're totally full of dog poop and wrong 24/7 365 days a year. Now you say it's faulty reporting and wait for a study for the underlying facts. Maybe the reporting is incorrect, that's totally possible. The study may well change my opinion as it could paint a different picture of the technical permissions/circumvention. So I agree with you there I guess. But based on the facts as laid before us (Orin article), Schwartz knowingly took property that wasn't his.

If I say "free blowjobs to all comers, except you Petey", and you put on a disguise and get a free blowjob, it's still theft of a blowjob. The free nature of my public domain mouth doesn't mean it's not theft to take from it.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

woozle wuzzle posted:

If I say "free blowjobs to all comers, except you Petey", and you put on a disguise and get a free blowjob, it's still theft of a blowjob. The free nature of my public domain mouth doesn't mean it's not theft to take from it.

Well now we're getting into crazy Israeli lying-to-have-sex-is-rape territory and I don't think we should go there!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Petey posted:

These may well have been in violation of the CFAA (which, in my opinion, is a poorly written bill for all the reasons Paul Ohm has described), but it was not a case of hacking or copyright infringement as has been so widely and erroneously reported.

The CFAA is a fun way to threaten and fire employees that take employer files they're not supposed to.

"But it was evidence that they were discriminating!" "WELP YOU STILL BROKE THE LAW! GTFO!"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HiddenReplaced posted:

The CFAA is a fun way to threaten and fire employees that take employer files they're not supposed to.

"But it was evidence that they were discriminating!" "WELP YOU STILL BROKE THE LAW! GTFO!"

Only in the 1st and 7th Circuits, at this point. The 9th mostly has rejected that and I believe the 2nd has as well.

(Nobody cares about those other hick circuits.)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Kalman posted:

Only in the 1st and 7th Circuits, at this point. The 9th mostly has rejected that and I believe the 2nd has as well.

loving hicks.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I just totally got TROUNCED this morning. gently caress.

Competent opposing counsel sucks

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ersatz posted:

I'm a 2010 grad from a T14. I'm a patent prosecutor at Biglaw in DC, with a focus on post-grant proceedings. I worked punishing hours for my first two years, and then realized that my firm doesn't demand a masochistic work ethic from its associates. I now bill around 45 hours a week, and I telecommute as much possible.

If you worked at my firm, I'd love you right now for telling me I can stop killing myself. But we're in Alexandria. Reexams suck.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Kalman posted:

With regards to employment issues, the 7th Circuit is a hell of lot more persuasive than the 9th. Whenever the 9th does anything everyone just chalks it up to them being a bunch of potted up communist hippies.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Petey posted:

I suppose I could go to law school if I went the JD/PhD route.

I don't want to encourage you for a ton of reasons that you already know, but the few folks I know who did that are all doing well. Like them you could pull off the right combo of schools to where it could be pretty cool.

E: Should add it came down more to their social science chops. Two of the people I'm thinking of had cool projects and already had NSF grants.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

wacko_- posted:

If you worked at my firm, I'd love you right now for telling me I can stop killing myself. But we're in Alexandria. Reexams suck.
Different firm - sorry about that. I have my share of all-nighters around reexam deadlines, but overall I think it's worth it, because I actually enjoy that work. The budgets are large enough that there's an opportunity to dig in to the technology and really understand what's going on, there's a lot of writing involved, and sophisticated arguments are expected instead of discouraged. Also, given my billable rate, I realized that if I were to stick with straight prep and pros I would need to manage an unreasonable number of cases and a small army of handling attorneys to make my hours. I'd rather just go all in on a few reexams at a time. The workload can oscillate in weird ways, but I find it much less stressful.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 15, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any of you DC patent people hiring?

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
Hey guys I just got into Georgetown and read on their website about their A vs B curricula for 1ls. A is a traditional Law School curriculum with Torts and Civil Procedure and whatnot and B is apparently a "cross-disciplinary" thing that focuses on the "why" of law instead of the "how." Instead of the usual stuff you take things like "Democracy and Coercion" instead of Criminal Justice.

In other words the B curriculum looks like a huge trap to me and "A" looks like what I should be doing. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience about the two curricula?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Glow Sticks posted:

Hey guys I just got into Georgetown and read on their website about their A vs B curricula for 1ls. A is a traditional Law School curriculum with Torts and Civil Procedure and whatnot and B is apparently a "cross-disciplinary" thing that focuses on the "why" of law instead of the "how." Instead of the usual stuff you take things like "Democracy and Coercion" instead of Criminal Justice.

In other words the B curriculum looks like a huge trap to me and "A" looks like what I should be doing. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience about the two curricula?

Congrats, you're gonna be a lawyer!!!!!! A hundred facebook likes!

My guess is that the B curriculum will weed out a lot of the most obnoxious people from your A classes, so yeah, don't do it. I met a guy at a party who was doing the B curriculum once and he kept needing to shut up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I can't imagine a lot of jobs liking it when they see things like "democracy and coercion" instead of the basics everyone is expected to know (or at least be able to relearn well enough when they're needed years later). Sounds like it's "law school for people who don't want to be lawyers".

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Glow Sticks posted:

I was in Section 3 (B curriculum). If you opt for Section 3, you'll learn all of the black-letter law taught in the other sections, in addition to a heavy dose of jurisprudence. The focus is less on rote memorization of cases, and more on understanding and critically assessing modes of legal reasoning and their implications. I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, evilweasel is right that you'll need to explain to potential employers that Bargain, Exchange, and Liability, for example, is really contract + torts + additional material, and that yes you really did learn law. However, as far as I know, Section 3 students are hired and pass the bar at the same rate as everyone else, so the choice between curricula doesn't seem to have real impact on career options.

Whether you should participate in Section 3 really just comes down to how you learn and what you want your first year experience to be. I've never regretted my choice to opt out of the standard curriculum.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 15, 2013

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was Section 2 the same year as Ersatz, and it all is a wash after your 1L year. There were insufferable assholes in every section, and the curriculum didn't make a difference.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If you're concerned, maybe ask the career office if there's any difference in whether/where students who choose the B curriculum are hired?

Personally I would go with the A curriculum, since you know that will be fine and you're never going to have to explain anything. But from what Ersatz says, it sounds like it's not a huge difference one way or the other.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you're going to law school, you already made the biggest mistake of your life anyhow. Might as well take the fun (relative) classes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Technically yes, but I've tried to get two of my examiner friends through the door and, although one of them was granted an interview, I was eventually told by the relevant people that, at this time, the firm isn't interested in hiring examiners who lack prosecution experience. That's strange to me given the obvious advantage to a patent prosecutor of having had experience as an examiner, but I'm told that we don't want to take on the costs associated with "training" new prosecutors.

That said, if you'd like to give it a shot let me know; I can forward your resume on to the hiring coordinator just in case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you're going to law school, you already made the biggest mistake of your life anyhow. Might as well take the fun (relative) classes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

Technically yes, but I've tried to get two of my examiner friends through the door and, although one of them was granted an interview, I was eventually told by the relevant people that, at this time, the firm isn't interested in hiring examiners who lack prosecution experience. That's strange to me given the obvious advantage to a patent prosecutor of having had experience as an examiner, but I'm told that we don't want to take on the costs associated with "training" new prosecutors.

That said, if you'd like to give it a shot let me know; I can forward your resume on to the hiring coordinator just in case.

Jesus, what the gently caress law firms. What the gently caress.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Jesus, what the gently caress law firms. What the gently caress.
Yep.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ersatz posted:

I was in Section 3 (B curriculum). If you opt for Section 3, you'll learn all of the black-letter law taught in the other sections, in addition to a heavy dose of jurisprudence. The focus is less on rote memorization of cases, and more on understanding and critically assessing modes of legal reasoning and their implications. I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, evilweasel is right that you'll need to explain to potential employers that Bargain, Exchange, and Liability, for example, is really contract + torts + additional material, and that yes you really did learn law. However, as far as I know, Section 3 students are hired and pass the bar at the same rate as everyone else, so the choice between curricula doesn't seem to have real impact on career options.

Whether you should participate in Section 3 really just comes down to how you learn and what you want your first year experience to be. I've never regretted my choice to opt out of the standard curriculum.

I am a recent section 3 grad (2011) and I would agree with Ersatz, though the profs have changed some (a couple years ago Peller actually didn't teach BEL, which blew my mind). My work/interview experiences were about the same as my non section 3 classmates. Worst that happens is that someone asks you what Democracy and Coercion is at your interview. I have friends from all the sections and people I loathe from all of them as well. Section 3 slightly self-selects for public interest, I think, but its very slight.

And Baruch, we aren't hiring either (at least not in DC).

Edit: also, if you have more specific curriculum b questions, feel free to PM me, happy to answer them.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 15, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still some bullshit.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Still some bullshit.
have you tried including a writing sample from your post history with your résumé?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

Living the dream (of not practicing).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Glow Sticks posted:

To go against the grain here, my friend is in Curriculum B right now and if you're interested in more public-interest-esque pursuits, Curriculum B is more likely to set you up with like-minded professors and students, which can be helpful as everything becomes about who you know more than what you know.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
boss just asked me to submit a self-assessment for my pay negotiation. spoiler alert: I rule and should be made an equity shareholder at once, because of my awesomeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

We were, but it looks like we have a candidate now.

Gotta hustle for those spots.