Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iastudent posted:

So I woke up this morning and discovered that my body wanted to start out the weekend with getting a cold. I shuffled over eventually to the grocery store to get medicine and stuff, but then spied the retro store next to there and decided to treat my suffering in a different fashion. :unsmith:

Does the retro game store happen to be called Retro Games Plus by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Akileese posted:

Does the retro game store happen to be called Retro Games Plus by chance?

Nah, it's Video Games Etc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A lot of Capcom arcade ports were missing co-op. See Magic Sword and Final Fight/Guy.

"Cooperative play? That's not a feature that draws anyone to our popular arcade games, right?"

The way Capcom was going with their SNES ports it's a surprise that Street Fighter 2 had versus mode.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Why do they call it a candy cabinet I wonder?

Also, I have a Sega Nomad with the little battery pack that clips to the back and a power cord if anyone wants it for whatever sounds fair pricewise. :) PM or email, popecrunch@gmail

Also, some sega saturn games - Virtual On, Sega Ages, Nightwarriors, Croc, Machine Head, Clockwork Knight, and a couple iterations of Nights

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PopeCrunch posted:

Why do they call it a candy cabinet I wonder?

I'm definitely not the know-all on Japanese culture but neogeo mvs cabs are extremely common to sit outside snack shops so perhaps that is the relation?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Everdrive N8 trip report!

Once I got it working (not the Everdrive's fault, my NESes are in dire need of serious work) it performed quite admirably. I need to figure out what resistor(s) to wire to get the extra sound goodness, although every game that used that sound technology still ran, just without the extra sound. Played a few FDS games, plus Castlevania 3 Japanese version, Gimmick! and Megami Tensei II, all of which loaded. PAL games worked fine. I tried running Castlevania 3 US (a mapper 5 game) and it threw up an error message explicitly telling me the mapper wasn't supported, as expected.

Saving worked without me having to do anything special like with the Powerpak. Saved in Dragon Warrior and immediately hard powered down, loaded it up and the save was there. Directories are alphabetized but I got some weird bugs with that somethings (things weren't in the order they should have been in).

Also counter to the NES way of doing things, B was the "select" button and A was the "back" button for the ROM selection menu.

Games seemed to load about 100k per second from a class 10 card (0.4/0.7 ms in an SD2SNES), so bigger games like Kirby's Adventure took close to 10 seconds to boot up.

A few interesting gotchas specifically due to the Everdrive:

1. It doesn't look like the Everdrive N8 will fit in a stock NES cartridge with the pin adapter. Even if you got rid of most of the retaining plastic pins (the middle one that the screw goes through is fine but there's no holes for any others) the Everdrive's board is also slightly taller than a stock 60-pin's board, which in the cartridges with the built-in converter means the part where you normally grab the NES cartridge with your thumb actually gets in the way ever so slightly. I'm sure you probably could get it to fit since it's a question of mere millimeters, but it would require quite the internal modifications. microSD slot and USB port aren't in the way at all, though.

2. Unlike every other krikzz cart I've used, where it was merely a suggestion, this one has an actual hard limit of 254 files per folder; any files beyond that number won't show up. So your collection has to be broken down somehow into smaller folders.

Gotchas that affect the Everdrive but aren't Everdrive-specific:

A front-loading NES' push-down mechanism for its carts depends on there being an actual cartridge housing and won't work with just a board. I sorta-got it working with the bottom half of a cartridge + pin converter, but if all you have is a front-loading NES like me I strongly suggest waiting for the actual NES-dimensioned 72-pin one and making sure you get an actual cartridge housing for it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 16, 2013

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

madpanda posted:

6 slots are notorious pains in the asses. 4 slots are a bit wonky but not to the same extent. I'm actually considering ditching my 4 slot for a 2 slot. Playing cart roulette anytime I load 4 games in nullifies the benefit of having a 4 slot supergun.

The multislots are very particular about which order the games are loaded in, and while you can usually use mbit size going from low to high, its not anywhere near an exact science. They are also more particular about dirt and bootlegs.

This is good to know, as I was considering leaving the 6-slotter and forking out around $220 for a Single Slot + 111 Game Cart instead. Suppose it depends on how much he'd want for it. I also wondered last night in bed if the 5 slot JAMMA board would accept a Neo Geo 6-Slotter plus 4 other JAMMA boards...

Probably not, but just imagining the monstrosity made me laugh. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hey guys, I lurk this thread, and I wanted to let y'all know that we're running a Mario Marathon over IN THIS THREAD. Exactly how the Zelda thread was run around a year ago.

Might be some good retro fun, so join us, why don't you?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iastudent posted:

Nah, it's Video Games Etc.

Merely curious because in the town I live in, our retro game shop is also right next to a super stop & shop haha.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Games seemed to load about 100k per second from a class 10 card (0.4/0.7 ms in an SD2SNES), so bigger games like Kirby's Adventure took close to 10 seconds to boot up.

Oh no, Krikzz used the lovely RAM for it :ohdear:

Still gonna so buy one though. Will probably buy another PowerPak one day however :retrogames:

The only thing more incredible than a site dedicated to this is how professional it looks. It looks like a website I'd see for Ikea or something. When most people refer to this type of lag, I assume they are referring to "input lag"? This is different than the lag that personally offends me (image ghosting) I assume, right? Oh well, either way, plasma TVs aren't affected :smug:

Soul Glo posted:

Hey guys, I lurk this thread, and I wanted to let y'all know that we're running a Mario Marathon over IN THIS THREAD. Exactly how the Zelda thread was run around a year ago.

Might be some good retro fun, so join us, why don't you?

Awesome! Added to the OP!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

When most people refer to this type of lag, I assume they are referring to "input lag"? This is different than the lag that personally offends me (image ghosting) I assume, right? Oh well, either way, plasma TVs aren't affected :smug:

Yep. Basically every serious music gamer's nightmare. IE, "Wait I'm hitting notes stop telling me I'm missing god drat it", etc.

Also can be annoying in other games, though music games - especially games that ding you for accuracy like Beatmania and Pop'n - really make lag obvious.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you game on a HDTV and it isn't a Panasonic plasma that's shameful. Fuckin love my s2 for ps3/360/Wii u but the CRT is so much better for retro. I got a VGA box for my dc from fishmech and god drat is it pretty in 480p on that tv.

Edit: the one thing that sucks with panny plasmas is in 4:3 mode it puts gray bars on the side which annoys me hence the second tv

flyboi fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2013

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is that Seattle meetup thing happening at the ice cream place this weekend or next?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

If you game on a HDTV and it isn't a Panasonic plasma that's shameful. Fuckin love my s2 for ps3/360/Wii u but the CRT is so much better for retro. I got a VGA box for my dc from fishmech and god drat is it pretty in 480p on that tv.

Edit: the one thing that sucks with panny plasmas is in 4:3 mode it puts gray bars on the side which annoys me hence the second tv

'sup fellow Panasonic plasma-haver? Setup menu, Side Panel option, set to "off" for black panels.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Chainclaw posted:

Is that Seattle meetup thing happening at the ice cream place this weekend or next?

Next, gonna make a post about it tomorrow

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

'sup fellow Panasonic plasma-haver? Setup menu, Side Panel option, set to "off" for black panels.

Dunno if mine has that option, I got it the year after Tantus died (rip) so it is kind of old in terms of panny plasmas but I have a better tv for old games and my partner hogs the big screen so :getin:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Doing lag tests and not specifying modes used an secondary options enabled / disabled is pretty fuckin shameful!

Did you expect someone to just mail him an snes to cut the tabs off for a dollar.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Doing lag tests and not specifying modes used an secondary options enabled / disabled is pretty fuckin shameful!

Did you expect someone to just mail him an snes to cut the tabs off for a dollar.

I was interested in doing system mods as a side thing for quite a while, and I realized there was no way I could both 1) make myself not feel like a thief at the end of the day and 2) also make it worth my time

Like I would have felt like a friggin' thief asking for more than $20 to install a Saturn modchip because it's so pathetically easy that I honestly could not ever charge more than $20 to do it (if I were going to charge at all). But then I'd think about it, and opening up a Saturn, taking it apart, soldering it in place (as easy as it is), putting the Saturn back together, hooking it up to a TV and booting a game to see if it works, packaging it up, and going to the post office to deliver it below minimum wage. Such a conflicting feeling.

So I just do stuff like that for free as favors and everyone wins. ;)

I'd be a terrible business man.

But yeah for anyone ragging on the dude for charging $10 for the cartridge slot "mod", I get what you're coming from but I'd imagine if the guy had an actual local shop and someone brought the system by he'd happily do it for free, or maybe even throw it in if you get some more expensive SNES mod done. As laughable of a mod as it is, can you imagine him spending a decent amount of time just going to the post office alone for $5?

Honestly he'd probably be smarter just showing people how to do it on his site as a nice gesture but I can totally understand why he's gotta charge $10 for it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

H1KE posted:

This is good to know, as I was considering leaving the 6-slotter and forking out around $220 for a Single Slot + 111 Game Cart instead. Suppose it depends on how much he'd want for it. I also wondered last night in bed if the 5 slot JAMMA board would accept a Neo Geo 6-Slotter plus 4 other JAMMA boards...

Probably not, but just imagining the monstrosity made me laugh. :v:

That would be quite a cabinet. Just incase you weren't aware any MVS board with more than 1 slots is not jamma compatible. You can get an adapter from jammaboards or somewhere else. Or just wire one up yourself.

Stopped by half price books because they are running a 20% coupon. Only picked up NES pacman for $5.

They had legend of zelda in a locked case for $25 :psyduck:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
True story: when I was heavy into modding PSXs I got my stealth mod down to 3 minutes because of how easy it was. I never bothered with saturn/dc because disk swap/boot cd was too easy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

True story: when I was heavy into modding PSXs I got my stealth mod down to 3 minutes because of how easy it was. I never bothered with saturn/dc because disk swap/boot cd was too easy.

True story: I found the perfect pen cap to put in the launch PSXs ejected disc detection lever thing and never even needed to install a mod chip. :smug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oh no, Krikzz used the lovely RAM for it :ohdear:

Still gonna so buy one though. Will probably buy another PowerPak one day however :retrogames:

Why wait? Buy mine now! :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:'

Clearly the sane thing to do!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

Why wait? Buy mine now! :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:'

Clearly the sane thing to do!

haha I just sold mine like literally a week ago.

Honestly it's probably good to keep around if you use a toaster so you don't have to mess around with converters.

I just got my Mega Everdrive today from ithic.com (thanks flyboi!) and the price was awesome and the shell is awesome. Anyway, I just got to trying the 32x port of MK2. Uh...what is the big to do about this port? It's supposed to be arcade-perfect but I could swear it looks like it has no more than 256 colors on the screen at once (while I know drat well the 32x is supposed to be at SNES levels). I also tried Kolibri and there's so much dithering everywhere. Not trying to knock Kolibi but I have to question if this tumor that sits upon my Genesis is even worth it physically being there seeing as the only games I am interested in on it are "definitive home versions" of games like MK2 and Blackthorne; but I am having a real hard time seeing them being in any way improved from the SNES versions; and actually I could swear the SNES ports look way less dithered/more colorful? Is it just me?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
32x is a pile of rear end. Enjoy :retrogames:

Do not bother trying to justify the purchase of one, it is worthless. I'm just glad I realized it when the system was tits-up and I got one from KayBee toys for $30. My friend got a virtual boy for $30 as well and we realized right then and there, these systems were poo poo and there was a very, very good reason why they were being sold for $30 and it wasn't to enjoy video games.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
God I know I bring this up every time the 32x is mentioned and you also need a Sega CD for it but the purchase of a 32x was entirely justified for me with the superior version of Slam City. I love that game more than should be humanly possible. There's something wrong with me help

e: oh my god mad dog from slam city is currently hosting an american pickers spinoff on the history channel http://www.history.com/shows/picked-off/videos#the-barn

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 16, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I just got my Mega Everdrive today from ithic.com (thanks flyboi!) and the price was awesome and the shell is awesome.

I'm pretty sure I was the one that posted the link. :argh:

Haha.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Worth every penny. I've been enjoying Mazin Saga all night and I wish there was a way to tell Arino that he needs to play it!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Dear Retro Thread thank you for saying "32x" which made me think about Slam City which made me look at the Wikipedia article for Slam City which made me click on the link for the Wikipedia article for the guy who played Mad Dog which made me find out he hosts a History Channel show which made me look at his IMDB page which made me find out he was in another bad FMV game called Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka for the Saturn which made me look up Youtube videos of it which made me find out it's literally a football version of Slam City which made me buy a copy for $5. :retrogames:

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Question for you fine folks, particularly those who know about handheld stuff and the things sprouting from that:

When it comes to playing Gameboy games on the telly, obviously there's the Super Gameboy, and the GC Gameboy Player. But are there any clones and the like that'd do this? Just a nice, sleek little dedicated box that'd take a Gameboy(/Advance) cart and a controller, so I wouldn't need to use a Gamecube controller or one of those weird hard to find ones for anything GBC and up?

Also, if the Gameboy Player is my only option, does it do progressive scan? Tragically, all I have access to is an HDTV with standard-def input lag, without the space to do anything more effective.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Just use the Gameboy Player, and get the SNES to GC adapter from RetroUSB. That's what I do. Yes, it can do progressive scan BUT you need the :retrogames: GC component cables.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Question, has anyone here ever needed to contact Japan Game Stock about an order before? My package as of now is 2 days late and I went with the cheapest shipping possible(meaning no tracking or insurance) will they do anything?

Also speaking about the 32X the only retro game store around here came across a huge crate of brand new games for the system. It was just filled with copies and copies of a Golf Game and a Motocross game. They were asking 15 bucks each, which is really high for the common 32X games. Meanwhile I check at a comic book store a town over and they had a brand new Not for Resale copy of Virtua Fighter for the 32x for 3 bucks.

I also decided to order a few dozen SNES games from Rakuten. Anything that was under 2 dollars and wasn't a sports game I decided to get just to see what the hell it was. I'm curious to see what the shipping quote will be.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

To anyone who was waiting to do a mega-order from Retrogate, for the first time in a long time, you can order anything and everything, as nothing is flat-out out of stock. The only item on backorder is the N8, but you can still order one.

Humpback Or Front
Jun 18, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm abit iffy about Twin Snakes because it goes for the price of a new game and I already have the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSX. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm interested in hearing them.

I think i remember hearing that metal gear they had changed the engine completely on that game so it plays a bit differently making a different experience.

I think you should try and track down chibi robo if you get a chance. That game is a lot of fun and it kinda reminds me of a fun pikmen/katamari type of game.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Has anyone else's Famicom Everdrive shipped? I ordered mine on the 5th (probably an hour or so after it was posted here).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Keyboard Kid posted:

Has anyone else's Famicom Everdrive shipped? I ordered mine on the 5th (probably an hour or so after it was posted here).

That's really weird, am I the only one who got theirs? I ordered mine with a usb port, not sure if that made a difference.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

haha I just sold mine like literally a week ago.

Honestly it's probably good to keep around if you use a toaster so you don't have to mess around with converters.

I just got my Mega Everdrive today from ithic.com (thanks flyboi!) and the price was awesome and the shell is awesome. Anyway, I just got to trying the 32x port of MK2. Uh...what is the big to do about this port? It's supposed to be arcade-perfect but I could swear it looks like it has no more than 256 colors on the screen at once (while I know drat well the 32x is supposed to be at SNES levels). I also tried Kolibri and there's so much dithering everywhere. Not trying to knock Kolibi but I have to question if this tumor that sits upon my Genesis is even worth it physically being there seeing as the only games I am interested in on it are "definitive home versions" of games like MK2 and Blackthorne; but I am having a real hard time seeing them being in any way improved from the SNES versions; and actually I could swear the SNES ports look way less dithered/more colorful? Is it just me?

I've never played the MK2 SNES port, although remember the glowing reviews it got when it came out. The 32x version is good, and way better than the Genesis version. It's also got a really good version of NBA JAM TE (compared to the SNES and Genesis version). Like you said, Blackthorne is really good - I was just playing that the other day.

The other thing about the 32x is it did do 3d better than the FX chip games or whatever the Genesis equivalent was (with the $100 version of Virtua Racing). Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter for the 32x are way better than any 3d done on the 16bit consoles, just really hard to go back to now. But ya... My love for the 32x is almost surely based on nostalgia, since I got one when it came out, and remember loving NBA Jam, Chaotix, Virtua Racing, preordering Virtua Fighter for the shirt and awesome VHS tape that showed sweet VF moves and tips (with Chili B - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-qNm_ZI5Iw) and some video of other games. It was a terrible system, but as a kid it was exciting, until we got our PSX and then we didn't care.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was sitting around waiting for some video to render and I decided to play a bit of Super Mario Brothers. I decided, I'd just play straight through without warping until the video was done and on 2-1 I encountered a new glitch that I've never seen before. Near the beginning there's two turtles in a pit. Somehow I jumped on both of them and hit the invisible coin brick at the same time and things went crazy.

Sorry for the crappy picture, it's off my 3DS.

I've played this game for over 25 years and have never seen this...

Edit: I unpaused it and continued playing and there's more graphics glitches. The "0" vines keep showing up, the fire flower is a set of flickering lines, bloopers are a tiny patch of random pixels...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 16, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So much weird poo poo can happen in SMB1, looking at some "glitchfest" speed runs makes it look like the buggiest game ever made.

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

The only thing more incredible than a site dedicated to this is how professional it looks. It looks like a website I'd see for Ikea or something. When most people refer to this type of lag, I assume they are referring to "input lag"? This is different than the lag that personally offends me (image ghosting) I assume, right? Oh well, either way, plasma TVs aren't affected :smug:

You're wrong on both accounts, I'm afraid.

1) The display lag they are referencing refers to the latency between an input being fed to the display and the amount of time it takes for it to actually be be displayed on screen. This is an issue with *ALL* HDTV displays as a result of the processing circuitry necessary to display the image.

2) "Image ghosting", as you call it, actually does affect plasmas as well. The reasoning is different, however. With plasmas, you're actually seeing phosphor lag. Basically, the different chemical elements used to make up each color in a phosphor update at slightly different rates as a result of the chemicals used. The blue phosphor is the fastest, the red follows, and the green is the slowest. So, as they fire, the green will always be trailing leaving the impression of "yellow" or "green" trails on screen. Only those with a high sensitivity to display motion fluidity will notice this, however, so the typical uninformed consumer won't be bothered by it. It was painfully obvious to me the very first time I used a plasma, however. It still produces smoother motion than any LCD on the market, but it's not flawless.

CRTs actually suffer from similar issues but the effect is still more pleasing to the eye, I've found.

So, basically, plasmas suffer from both phosphor and input lag. Input lag will vary based upon the quality of the circuitry used in the display while phosphor lag is always present. Again, though, only sensitive eyes will typically notice this. I'm almost envious of those who don't see it, to be honest.

Oh, and of course, I use a plasma as my primary display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just stumbled upon this site: http://www.retrorgb.com/

• Locked thread