Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zythyl
Feb 6, 2013

You lock the door. And throw away the key. There's someone in my head but it's not me.

Fedule posted:

You are checking off, one by one, a whole lot of well known warning signs.

You are not going to convince anyone here by continuing to argue about what a sensible idea it is to do a live commentary VLP of Planescape:Torment with wacky voice acting.

Show us a test post. By all means, blow us the hell away. Make us eat our words. Show us up for the jaded, skeptical, morons that we are.

I will never do a live comm VLP of P:T. If anything I'd add in bits and pieces as I'm recording the audio separately, or use the live comm as a production tool in pointing out what I'm thinking whilst playing - then later on remove it in favour of a more polished post comm.

But yeah, post draft coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

zythyl posted:

I will never do a live comm VLP of P:T.

Then why the gently caress did you even BRING UP THE POSSIBILITY?

zythyl
Feb 6, 2013

You lock the door. And throw away the key. There's someone in my head but it's not me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Then why the gently caress did you even BRING UP THE POSSIBILITY?

Calm down man, did you even read what I posted? I'll never do a live-comm P:T. It will never be exclusively live-comm, it's just too risky for the subject matter. I'm just discussing how much of one type of commentary would benefit the other.

EDIT: My previous posts look like I was arguing between the two different comm types, but I was trying to determine the pros and cons of doing a hybrid of both. So you're probably confused about that.

zythyl fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 16, 2013

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Test post for a Rhythm Heaven Fever subtitle LP here! I've tinkered with it a bit already so I'm feeling good about it but it doesn't hurt to give it a once-over again.

Rhythm Heaven Fever, known as Minna No Rhythm Tengoku (Everybody's Rhythm Heaven) in Japan and Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise in Europe, is a rhythm game for the Nintendo Wii developed and published by Nintendo. It's the third game in the Rhythm Heaven series, preceded by Rhythm Tengoku for the GBA (only released in Japan) and Rhythm Tengoku Gold (known as Rhythm Heaven and Rhythm Paradise in the US and Europe, respectively) for the DS.The game is made up of several short minigames each with their own style and music in a way that is a little reminiscent of the Wario Ware series. In fact, the same team developed both series!

How this LP will work

Each video will be a set of five minigames (four regular and one remix) and, when relevant, an endless minigame and/or a rhythm toy. Most of these videos will be a hopefully reasonable length, though the first one is a little long just because there's two pretty big tutorials at the start. After that most videos will be around 20 minutes. For every three videos of the game, there will be one video of the Japanese version to show off interesting differences in the versions. Most of these are related to the voice acting. There will be ten videos of the main game, probably three or four of the Japanese one, and a few bits and pieces of the GBA game thrown in from time to time to point out throwbacks and things. I'd do a full LP of both the GBA and DS ones, but I'm awful at the GBA one and it's very hard to play the DS one on an emulator.

I'll do my best on each level, and hopefully I'll get a Superb score on the majority of the game. This won't include every level, though I will post the songs and text unlocked through achieving perfect scores in the thread. All the content of the game will be shown, even if I can't actually manage all the perfects myself.

Table of Contents

Set #1

---

I will note that I usually avoid doing more than two lines of subtitles at a time, but it happened here when I changed font sizes and it was infrequent enough that I let it slide because the only times it happened were during parts that were low on action. Usually that won't occur.

I'm also only using Youtube as a host this time around because I don't trust blip with subtitle LPs anymore and Youtube has gotten progressively better for me. We've got our site's video player set to upscale this to 1280x720 because I think it looks a little better than it did at 480.

I'll also probably play around with those OP header images a little before I start the thread, because let's be honest, they're kinda ugly.

I think that's everything I needed to say about the test post, so thanks in advance!

Edit: Fixed the headers. I think this is a it better.

Ambisagrus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 16, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Looks good. I'd probably swap out the header images, yeah. Also, I just checked the game's TCRF page about the missing minigame, and...

quote:

Rhythm Heaven Fever is a WarioWare-esque rhythm game with walruses which started the famous memetic "pikipikipiki desu ka?" (or "Wadawadawada s'that true?", if you prefer).

Please do not use any of these words in your OP. Thanks.

(Oh, and can you add a favicon something on your site? It's hard to find in my sea of other tabs)

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Alright, changed the headers a bit. They're bigger now, but I think it looks better overall.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please do not use any of these words in your OP. Thanks.

Agreed! Just to reenforce the point, I looked up "pikipikipiki desu ka" on dictionary.com, and...

quote:

pikipikipiki
- no dictionary results
No results found for pikipikipiki:

Yep, definitely don't use any of those words. Ain't even real.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zythyl posted:

Torment has spell animations, voice acting, music, and sprite animations that really make the game what it is. Not displaying these in trade for a more analytical text based LP doesn't seem fair to me. It just doesn't do the game justice.

You do realize GIFs exist, right? Once you learn the process, it's pretty simple to make all these wonderful animations into GIFs and show them off in a screenshot LP. You can also upload the soundtrack on Tindeck and post links to the music as things are happening. And for voice acting, you can post videos just of those cutscenes without commentary so if people want to listen to it, they'll have the option as well.

It seems everything you want to show off can also be done in a screenshot LP, so I don't know why you wouldn't just take the easier option here unless you're really concerned about Youtube subscribers. I also don't see why you'd need any reactive commentary for a RPG you know so intimately already. And I don't know why you'd want to take a serious approach analyzing the game in-depth and then say you want to do voice acting for it, as that's going to be jarring as hell even if you're a professional voice actor.

That said, if you're still convinced a video LP of a text-heavy RPG where you do all the voices is the way to go, I highly recommend doing it in this style.

zythyl
Feb 6, 2013

Mega64 posted:

You do realize GIFs exist, right? Once you learn the process, it's pretty simple to make all these wonderful animations into GIFs and show them off in a screenshot LP. You can also upload the soundtrack on Tindeck and post links to the music as things are happening. And for voice acting, you can post videos just of those cutscenes without commentary so if people want to listen to it, they'll have the option as well.

It seems everything you want to show off can also be done in a screenshot LP, so I don't know why you wouldn't just take the easier option here unless you're really concerned about Youtube subscribers. I also don't see why you'd need any reactive commentary for a RPG you know so intimately already. And I don't know why you'd want to take a serious approach analyzing the game in-depth and then say you want to do voice acting for it, as that's going to be jarring as hell even if you're a professional voice actor.

That said, if you're still convinced a video LP of a text-heavy RPG where you do all the voices is the way to go, I highly recommend doing it in this style.

Let's be honest here, GIFs hardly qualify as a good substitute for a video of characters walking, their footsteps in synch with the background music, folly, and ambience chiming in the background. And sure I can upload said GIF to whatever hosting site and attach a sound file to it. But why bother significantly stripping away all that makes Planescape visually and audibly immersive in exchange for a cheaper alternative?

I won't be talking in any of the cutscenes, as the cutscenes in P:T are so pivotal and rare that even the most insightful commentary would be a waste. Everything I want to show off can be done in a screenshot? There's nothing a screenshot can offer that a video can't. In fact, there's less. I for one avoid text based LPs because I feel a lack of involvement in them. I respect them, and they have their place, but there's a demographic that they simply do not cater to.

Reactive commentary has a stigma attached to it now thanks to Pewdiepie etc, so I'm not going to waste my time justifying why I mentioned it as I feel I'll just be exacerbating the issue.

I don't see any contest between an in depth analysis of P:T and a quality VO track. However if I feel they compete for attention or simply don't compliment each other, there's always room to simply delete either one.

I find it weird you linked a Pokemon game with some random guy doing all the VOs of some script the devs didn't even include as a reason not to do a VO for P:T. Or are you implying I should find a P:T VLP with VO included and just do a rip off of retsupurae?

All in all this is all conjecture, there's no point in arguing how a P:T VLP may or may not be good without tangible material to present (and off I go to continue producing that material).

zythyl fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2013

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

zythyl posted:

All in all this is all conjecture, there's no point in arguing how a P:T VLP may or may not be good without tangible material to present (and off I go to continue producing that material).

I have a suggestion: Stop posting about it until you finish your material. Right now you're making it look like you absolutely have to get the last word, meanwhile cluttering the sandcastle with posts you admit are pointless.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

zythyl posted:

Let's be honest here, GIFs hardly qualify as a good substitute for a video of characters walking, their footsteps in synch with the background music, folly, and ambience chiming in the background. And sure I can upload said GIF to whatever hosting site and attach a sound file to it. But why bother significantly stripping away all that makes Planescape visually and audibly immersive in exchange for a cheaper alternative?

Everything I want to show off can be done in a screenshot? There's nothing a screenshot can offer that a video can't. In fact, there's less. I for one avoid text based LPs because I feel a lack of involvement in them. I respect them, and they have their place, but there's a demographic that they simply do not cater to.
Obviously there's nothing screenshots have that video can't, since it's going to be the exact same content, however, people do have imaginations. People tend to use them when reading. There's no reason you can't upload game music/audio to tindeck or something similiar, and post a gif or screenshots and have it be great. I get that video lp's can be generally way easier to make and edit and pump out faster than doing a screenshot lp, and you don't get those sweet important youtube hits when doing screenshot lps, but all of what you've been talking about is the very definition of pretentiousness.

zythyl posted:

Reactive commentary has a stigma attached to it now thanks to Pewdiepie etc, so I'm not going to waste my time justifying why I mentioned it as I feel I'll just be exacerbating the issue.
As someone who doesn't know who Pewdiepie is, I can say this is false. Live commentary can be funny or entertaining or good, but reactionary commentary is just objectively bad. Stating the obvious is not intelligent or engaging.

I hope this ends up better than your Dead Space 3 attempt, but I'm having my doubts. Your attitude here has been pretty poor with regards to advice given.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zythyl posted:

I have a feeling most people don't really care about watching video of characters walking around and hearing footsteps. They're more interested in the story and gameplay. While you're correct that video LP's can capture a game's atmosphere in a way that even the best SSLP's could never do, with enough effort you can do a solid enough job replicating the atmosphere without having a lot of boring stretches of video where nothing of note happpens.

quote:

There's nothing a screenshot can offer that a video can't.

Brevity, for one. You can sum up twenty minutes of gameplay of Final Fantasy 1 in a few screenshots. Even with heavy editing, the game is just not fun to watch in video format. Screenshots show off the highlights of the game while skipping all the dull stuff. They also give you the chance to go incredibly in-depth on certain portions when the game itself may not give you enough time, like translation LP's.

quote:

I don't see any contest between an in depth analysis of P:T and a quality VO track. However if I feel they compete for attention or simply don't compliment each other, there's always room to simply delete either one.

But you're not a professional voice actor, no matter how good your friends say you are. Granted, maybe once you get the video up, you may actually breathe new life in the game with your magical voice, but based on the many other Youtube videos of people "voice acting," like the one I linked, it'll probably fall flat. The seriousness of your analysis will clash with a lackluster VO job. But hey, I'm all for including it in a test post in the off chance it actually works.

quote:

I find it weird you linked a Pokemon game with some random guy doing all the VOs of some script the devs didn't even include as a reason not to do a VO for P:T. Or are you implying I should find a P:T VLP with VO included and just do a rip off of retsupurae?

I'm more implying that if you're going to do voiceovers, you might as well go all-out and make a self-insert character so it can be entertaining in an awkward sort of way.

Anyway, I'm all for trying LP's in different ways, so maybe your approach could work. Guess I'll wait for the test video and see for myself.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

zythyl posted:

I am loving annoying.

If your next post regarding PS:T does not contain video content, you are banned.

Jesus, stop flooding this thread with your theories on proper LP and put some content up.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mega64 posted:

Brevity, for one. You can sum up twenty minutes of gameplay of Final Fantasy 1 in a few screenshots. Even with heavy editing, the game is just not fun to watch in video format. Screenshots show off the highlights of the game while skipping all the dull stuff. They also give you the chance to go incredibly in-depth on certain portions when the game itself may not give you enough time, like translation LP's.
That and the opposite: screenshots and text can leave more time for slowed down, analytical pieces. To wax philosophical for a second, screenshot-and-writing's big advantage over video-and-speech is that time becomes malleable: you can spend as much or as little time as you like on any particular aspect of the game (granted, you can achieve this in video with enough editing, but it becomes a lot more complicated).

I guess one option might be to do a hybrid LP? Get the best of both worlds: video to give more of a sense of what the game is like to play, and so you can show your characters footsteps in time to the beat and so on, and screenshot for the "time manipulation" aspect.

But hey, your best option is, like most people including yourself have said, to make a test post so we can actually see how your idea works in practice.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 16, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ambisagrus posted:

Test post for a Rhythm Heaven Fever subtitle LP here! I've tinkered with it a bit already so I'm feeling good about it but it doesn't hurt to give it a once-over again.

This was incredibly entertaining. I'd say you're ready to go.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Thanks y'all! The Rhythm Heaven Fever thread is up over here now!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zythyl posted:

ridiculous :words:

Man, I hope you get some content up soon, because I never want you to stop posting. Not because I agree with you in any conceivable way, of course.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is tangentially related to LPs at best, but has Youtube been loading videos far too slowly for the past few days? Or do I need to get on the horn with AT&T and ask them why they're screwing me more?

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

C-Euro posted:

This is tangentially related to LPs at best, but has Youtube been loading videos far too slowly for the past few days? Or do I need to get on the horn with AT&T and ask them why they're screwing me more?

It worked fine for me last week, maybe check https://www.speedtest.net ?

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Resubmitting this for review.

DemonTrigger posted:

Thread title: Fire Emblem 3: Mystery of the Emblem

Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo, translated as Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, was developed by Intelligent Systems for the Super Famicom, and was released on January 21, 1994. The game circles around the story of Prince Marth, also known as "That Guy from Super Smash Bros. Melee." The game is divided into two books, the first being a remake of Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light for the NES. This LP will be covering Book 2, which is a continuation of the story from the first. If you want to see the first game, you can read DKII's LP of it here.

Okay, but what IS Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblem is a series of turn-based strategy RPGs for the Nintendo consoles. While most of the games are separate continuities from each other a la Final Fantasy, they are always medieval themed, and share many gameplay mechanics, such as permanent death, the weapon triangle(which doesn't actually exist in this game), and promoting units to higher tiers of power. It is also somewhat famous for having what seems to be the most spiteful and hate-filled RNG ever.

Spoiler Policy

Since this game is a direct sequel to Fire Emblem 1, feel free to talk about anything that happens in that game. Anything past where we currently are in this game should generally be discussed with spoiler tags. Anything that spoils a different Fire Emblem game should be noted as such. Also, don't get crazy with conversations consisting of giant walls of black.

Table of Contents

Introduction
Chapter 1: Grunian Expedition
Appendix A: Stats and What They Mean

The Fire Emblem Remastered Box Set with DVD Extras (other Fire Emblem LPs)

Fire Emblem 1: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light by DKII
Fire Emblem 2: Gaiden by Hafl
Fire Emblem 4: Geneology of the Holy War by Wind God Sety
Fire Emblem 5: Thracia 776 by Cake Attack
Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals by Artix74
Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword also by Artix74
Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones by Blastinus
Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance by Fedule
Fire Emblem 10: Radiant Dawn also by Fedule
Fire Emblem 11: Shadow Dragon by TenaCrane (requires archives)
Fire Emblem 12: Heroes of Light and Shadow also by TenaCrane (on hiatus)

I separated the intro cutscenes from the actual map to make it easier to jump into the gameplay, and I also managed to get not blurry screenshots out of IrfanView, so if there is anything else to be addressed, let me know.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

C-Euro posted:

Youtube had trouble loading quickly for me a week or so ago. I cleared my cache(and browser history accidentally :( ), I don't know if that actually helped but now I do load quickly again.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So I'm still doing my Bully LP and wanted to test a transition out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9LZ3yAVcs

Basically, the map has gotten pretty big and I don't want to show all of the travel time because it would just be traveling. On the other hand, I'm also worried that viewers will lose their orientation in the game world and won't get how places are related. I tried to do something that I think will solve both issues.

Any opinions, suggestions, or complaints? Video does have spoilers about what is going to happen in my next Bully episode if that is an issue for anyone.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 17, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

VivaVizer posted:

So I'm still doing my Bully LP and wanted to test a transition out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9LZ3yAVcs

Basically, the map has gotten pretty big and I don't want to show all of the travel time because it would just be traveling. On the other hand, I'm also worried that viewers will lose their orientation in the game world and won't get how places are related. I tried to do something that I think will solve both issues.

Any opinions, suggestions, or complaints? Video does have spoilers about what is going to happen in my next Bully episode if that is an issue for anyone.

Looks fine to me, it's short, sweet, and gets the point down. I just wonder how it would look if you zoomed the game out and added the map in instead of fading out. The fade is a tad jarring.

EDIT: I meant still keeping the picture in picture format you got going on here.

zythyl
Feb 6, 2013

What is the nature of a manly man? Let's Play! Planescape: Torment [VLP]

What is the nature of a man? What is Planescape: Torment?

Planescape: Torment is built on BioWare's Infinity Engine, which presents the player with a two-dimensional world in which player characters are controlled. The game's rules are based on those of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Ed. 2.5 ruleset). The player takes the role of "The Nameless One", an immortal being on a quest to learn why he cannot die. Exploration around the painted scenery is accomplished by clicking on the ground to move, or on objects and characters to interact with them.

Items and spells may be employed through hotkeys, "quick slots", or a radial menu. An alternative to armour is the use of magical tattoos, which can be applied to The Nameless One and certain other characters to enhance their abilities.

The game begins with character creation, where the player assigns attribute points (such as strength, intelligence, charisma) to The Nameless One. The Nameless One starts the game as a fighter, but the player may later change his character class to thief or wizard, with the option to also change back to fighter, after finding corresponding tutors. The player may recruit adventuring companions over the course of the game; there are seven potential party members, but a maximum of five may accompany the player at any one time. Conversation is frequent among party members, occurring both randomly and during conversations with other non-player characters.

Planescape: Torment's gameplay often focuses on the resolution of quests through dialogue rather than combat, and many of the game's combat encounters can be resolved or avoided through dialogue or stealth; a review of the game in incite PC Gaming says that "The game is almost entirely story driven, and by asking the right questions you should only have to get violent a handful of times." The Nameless One carries a journal, which helps the player keep track of the game's numerous quests and subplots. Death of the player character usually imposes no penalty beyond respawning in a different location.

Alignment in AD&D — which determines a character's ethical and moral perspective on the independent axes of "good vs. evil" and "law vs. chaos" — is a static property, chosen by the player at the start of a game. In Planescape: Torment, the character begins as a "true neutral" character (that is, neither good nor evil, and neither lawful nor chaotic) and throughout the game, based on the character's actions, this property is incrementally changed. Non-player characters respond to The Nameless One differently, depending on his alignment.

"Tell me more about how this Nameless One..."

In Torment, you take on the role of a scarred, amnesiac immortal in search of his identity. From his initial awakening on the slabs of Sigil’s Mortuary to his journeys across the Outlands and the Outer Planes, Torment introduces the player character to the forces of faith and belief that govern the Planescape multiverse. A world this different takes a different type of hero to explore it. You are that hero. Torment isn’t a role-playing game where death is that minute of irritation between the "game over" screen and reloading a saved game.

In Torment, death serves to advance the plot and is even a tool for solving seemingly impossible problems… as an immortal, your character can regenerate from traumatic damage, shrug off stab wounds, and is a close personal friend of fast-developing scabs and blisters that harden and fall off within minutes. The character creation system in Torment is also a little different than some RPGs you may have played. The game itself is the character generator… your actions throughout the game define your character’s development and even have the power to shape the world around you. You will find yourself gaining skills, new classes, and special abilities depending on your style of play.

Although you will still gain experience points and advance in level, you’ll quickly discover that gathering memories is just as important as gaining experience, talking to the dead can yield more than talking to the living, and the most dangerous of enemies may be the only ones you can trust. Your character will develop in power as he learns more about himself, but you won’t be alone. Torment allows you to recruit a variety of strange companions to join your quest, including puritan succubi, insane geometric shapes that talk to their weapons, foul-mouthed mimirs, and the walking dead. Some of the most vocal and unpredictable members of your parties may be your inventory items themselves. Death is the least of your worries; as you’ll soon discover, you have more to fear from ideas and beliefs than from some berk with a sword. Welcome to the planes. Welcome to Torment.

Wall of text. Mechanics.

Stats
Strength - This makes you a good fighter. If you want to be a real meat grinder of a warrior - raise your Strength score.
Constitution - This stat makes you tough to kill, almost always a plus considering how many people are trying to off you. Another bonus is that sweet sweet health regen.
Dexterity - This stat determines how difficult you are to hit, as well as how fast your combat reactions are. If you want to be a sneaky little poo poo and get the drop on those Dusties before raising the alarm, you'll want this one.
Intelligence - Gets rid of the herp derp and replaces it with witty things to say. Having a higher Intelligence stat gives you more dialogue options, better chance to regain those memories, and access to a plethora of spells.
Charisma - People are going to start listening to you with this stat, and even believe whatever you have to say - so convincing! It's a bluff stat, and it comes in handy.
Wisdom - Sans long beards that flow like waterfalls, the Wisdom stat helps The Nameless One absorb lessons and experiences easier, resulting in higher experience point gain and gives you a higher chance of regaining your lost memories.

Armour Class
This number shows how tough you are to whack with a melee weapon (like a pointed poniard or a big spiky club) or pincushion you with arrows. The lower your armour class (usually abbreviated as simply AC) number, the more difficult you are to hit. This even extends into negative numbers—so a character wearing, for example, Lower Plane Vermin Armour, with an armour class of, say –6, could walk through a scythe-slinging mob without breaking a sweat. On the other hand, another character sporting a worn cloth tunic, for an armour class of 10, would be cut to ribbons by the same attackers. The benefits of having a low AC apply to your party members and they apply to your enemies. If an opponent you’re squared off against has a thick carapace or burly-looking metal armour then they’re going to be more difficult for you to hit.

Hit Points
Armour is designed to keep you from being hit, however, even the best armour can fail in the face of a determined, or lucky, enemy. When your protection fails you’re going to take damage. The amount of damage that a character can withstand is measured in Hit Points. The more hit points your character has, the tougher they are, and the more damage they can withstand before being incapacitated or killed. Keep a careful eye on this number. When a character’s Hit Points get low, consider healing them with magic or even withdrawing them from combat. If you don’t want to spend your magical abilities to heal a character (or don’t have any healing magic available at the moment), then resting will help your party members to regain Hit Points.

The World Screen Interface

This nifty portable interface allows you to control what each of the characters in your party does. To access this interface, Right-click on any empty portion of the game screen to bring up the interface.

Encumbrance
Each character has a maximum weight they can carry. The weight currently carried by the character is shown next to the Personal Inventory. Maximum weight carried is determined by the Strength of a character. When you’re carrying 100% of your carrying capacity, you can no longer run, you can only walk. If you pick up items totaling 120% of your maximum carrying capacity, you can’t even walk around anymore - you must drop weight (back down to 100% or less of your capacity) to be able to move again.

The Paper Doll
There are a number of distinct areas in the equipped items section. The actual items and areas that you can equip each character with, vary from character to character, but a partial list includes such items/areas as: eyeball, helm, cloak, amulet, L ring, R ring, wrists, gauntlets, quick weapons, quick items, and ammo. In any case, you won’t be allowed to place an item in an area where it won’t fit, so you don’t have to memorize which items go in which slots.

Quick Slots
The weapons or items that are put in the quick slots determine the quick attacks that are available to the character. These are, essentially, handy shortcuts that allow you access to your character’s items or abilities without having to sort through other screens. They are extremely useful in combat.

Saving Throws and Resistance
Not all of the spells that you cast, or that are cast by your foes, will take effect. The first hurdle you have to overcome is to cast your spell without being interrupted. Generally, the higher level a spell is, the longer it takes to cast. This is what a spell’s Casting Time refers to. If you’re damaged while you’re in the middle of casting a spell, your concentration is disrupted and the spell will fail to go off. So, if you’re hard pressed try to use spells that have lower Casting Times. On the other hand, you can interrupt an enemy’s spell casting in the same way. Just remember melee messes up magic. Once you've successfully cast a spell, there’s still a chance that your target will not be effected by it. Each creature has a chance to Save against the effects of the magic. The more powerful a spell’s target is, the better chance it has to resist some or all of the effects of a spell. In addition to this, some creatures are either so highly magical or so non-magical that they have an innate resistance to magic. This is a percentage chance that the creature will completely resists the effects of magic used against it, even before it has to make a saving throw.

How to Fight
There’s more to combat than just flailing away at your opponent, blindly hoping to do some damage. In fact, there’s a whole lot more, and you’ll have a chance to become a real warrior during your travels. As you gain experience levels you’ll get proficiency points that you can use to become better at one aspect of combat or another. However, you can’t do this on your own. In order to spend those proficiency points on an improvement, you’ll need to find a trainer to instruct you in the finer points of the skill. You cannot spend proficiency points without a trainer. When you find a trainer, you’ll have to talk to them in order to find out what they are willing to train you to do. Then, if you want to learn what they have to teach, you’ll have a chance to ask them to train you. Don’t pass up these opportunities. A good trainer is a real asset, and it’s often a good idea to hold a couple of proficiency points aside—just in case you meet up with a trainer who’s teaching a skill you want to learn.

Death, or They Can Kill You, But They Can’t Eat You
In most role-playing games, getting killed means that you need to go back to your last saved game and try again. Torment is different, you’re a different sort of hero, and you’re immortal. You’ll find that this is a handy trait. When you are killed, the shock to your system can sometimes actually help you to remember more about yourself and your past. It may help you to remember a useful memory or even a special skill or ability. In addition, you won’t lose any of your items; your character’s stats won’t change for the worse, and your party members won’t have wandered off. In effect, that which kills you can make you stronger; well, most of the time that is.

Then Again, some of them Can Eat you...
One tidbit of information that you shouldn’t overlook, is that while you’re immortal, you’re not invincible. This means that while you can come back to life after almost any event that would kill a normal character, there are still things that can hurt you, or take you out of the world. A short list of events to avoid would be:
1. Avoid tangling with creatures whose power is far beyond that of any immortal (this means that attacking godlike beings is almost certain to end with your permanent demise).
2. Events or creatures that can cause you to go insane—you may be alive, but unless your idea of a good time is to perfect your drooling skills, you’re out of the game at this point.
3. Being imprisoned with no hope of escape. Bad idea, just avoid this.
4. Being buried alive, same as #3, but darker.
5. Being burned to ashes—no coming back from this sort of demise.
I think you get the idea. Oh yeah, being eaten and digested counts as a permanent adventure-ender. So even an immortal, like yourself, is better off using a cautious approach from time to time—or, at least be aware of the risks before you go charging forward. One way to mitigate the risks you’ll face, and also to acquire some new ones, is to find a group of like-minded companions to help you out. Sure you’ll always have your party of close companions to help you, but I’m talking about larger groups of pals—Factions. We’ll cover factions, what they are, and how they can both help and hurt you, next.

The Planes, Alignments, And Factions
A creature’s alignment as well as the faction that they belong to determine, to a large extent, the way that critters will react to you and your party. The basic set of values and the way that a person, or monster, interacts with the world is called alignment. There are two components to alignment. The consistency with which a creature acts is described by calling it either Lawful (meaning that it always follows its system of beliefs), Chaotic (meaning that the creature can be very random in its adherence to its values), or Neutral (which means that the beastie is somewhere in the middle-sometimes following its nature and other times not). The second part of an alignment is either Good (seeking the greater good and helping others), Evil (seeking the greater good for oneself and taking a big second helping for oneself when no one is looking), or Neutral (somewhere, again, in the middle ground). Most creatures that you’ll run into are not wholly good nor wholly evil, nor are they completely Lawful or Chaotic. Most intelligent creatures are just Neutral/Neutral. In any case, the closer a creature’s alignment is to your character’s the more likely they are to get along well, since they think about things in a similar way. A mental shorthand way to think of Alignment is that it’s a creature’s basic morality. The creatures that make their home on the different planes that you’ll be visiting are often allied with others that share the same set of beliefs.
If alignment is a way of describing a creature’s basic morality then a Faction would be it’s political affiliation. In a topsy-turvy world that is always shifting and changing, a creature’s Faction is sometimes the only island of stability it has. The result of this is that creatures that belong to one Faction or another feel an intense loyalty to their Faction-mates. As you explore Torment you’re likely to be invited into a Faction. While there are often substantial benefits to be had from joining a Faction be aware that most Factions have enemies as well as friends. While you may be able to get assistance from members of a Faction that you’ve joined, you’ll also encounter enemies of your faction. These enemies may not attack you on sight but they may seek to hinder you in other ways—by refusing to give you information, by informing on you to your enemies, or by sending you in harm’s way.
This isn’t to say that you should never join a Faction, only that you should do so with an awareness that you’re gaining a two-edged affiliation. In summary, the closer your alignment and your faction are to someone that you’re dealing with are, the better you’ll get along and the more help they’ll likely give you. The more divergent your alignment and faction are, then the less cooperative a creature will be. If your differences are great enough, a creature may even be openly hostile to you-solely on the basis of your alignment and/or faction.

"Right... so, how are you filming this gig? Why should I watch it?"

Incorporating a mix of VO and post-commentary analysis, I aim to deliver an informative and entertaining play-through of Planescape: Torment. There's been some VLPs of Planescape: Torment done before but none that sufficiently explore the themes, characters, or settings to such a degree that would satisfy both a D&D enthusiast or inquisitive mind otherwise ignorant to the lore of D&D.

Things you should know about this VLP.

It's modded. I used GOG's Planescape: Torment modding guide and simply followed their steps. Included are Bigg's Widescreen Mod, GhostDog's Incredible Ui Mod, the Ultimate FixPack, Unfinished Business mod, and finally the Tweak Pack. Links for these can be found at the GOG link.

Content! (the bit where I throw my dignity to the wolves and brace for a life of self-esteem issues)

Just a note about the below video - first half or so is analysis, etc, testing out how a paced discussion works in the setting, and then I start voice acting towards the second half 4m30s of the video. I don't think I'll end up marrying the two together in the future, and I think the VO should be dropped depending on the reception I get from you guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

JetGrind posted:

Looks fine to me, it's short, sweet, and gets the point down. I just wonder how it would look if you zoomed the game out and added the map in instead of fading out. The fade is a tad jarring.

EDIT: I meant still keeping the picture in picture format you got going on here.

Hmmm, so have the main video shrink to the small area and have the map fade in still? And then have the main video grow out again?

I think I can do that.

edit:

http://youtu.be/dMLk711kmkU

Hmm, it does look better this way. Cool.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 17, 2013

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

zythyl posted:

Content, finally.

If this is representative of what you want, don't do it.

Your video didn't have much content, so I couldn't tell anything about the deep analysis you were going on about earlier, and you shouldn't read the lines for your "voice acting". It sounded bad. Personally, I think you also shouldn't go on as long about the stats - just talking about the numbers you wanted was, like, half your content - a quick rundown of what build you're going with would work at the start, and then you can discuss the mechanics they affect when you actually get to them. Lord knows you'll have enough time to talk about mechanics when you're doing video of a text-heavy game.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Well it was pretty boring up until you started doing the VO. Then it turned into a laugh riot.

also don't assume everyone will watch it in HD, because they won't. You can't read anything at lower res.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

zythyl posted:

Please stop pretending to be Christian Bale, thanks.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

zythyl posted:

Planescape: Torment [VLP]

This is really, really, really, really awkward to listen to. I can't honestly imagine anyone wanting to listen to the whole game like this. Sadly, it's pretty much exactly how I figured this wonderful idea of yours would end up sounding. If you want to do a video lp of PS:T (which you shouldn't to begin with because it would be probably really boring), don't try and do voices and read out the text. Summarizing or paraphrasing conversations briefly and moving on would be a better idea.

Anything than this would be a better idea.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Thanks for the laugh, but that was pretty drawn out for a joke.

Edit: Serious talk: Don't do this. It's a bad idea. You're voice acting is bad and so is your pacing. If you really want to do this game, do it with screenshots.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2013

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

zythyl posted:

That was...ok I'll just say it. That was hideous. Wretched. Appalling. Atrocious. Devoid of any and all merit. It was really bad is what I'm saying.

Seriously, drop the VO gimmick immediately. It was legitimately uncomfortable to listen to. I was cringing the entire time and any and all possible enjoyment I could have gotten from this was ruined. The game has a great script that holds up on its own merit, it doesn't need some wacky fake Batman voiceover. Either do a SSLP or a hybrid, because an entire LP in this style would be just dreadful.

zythyl
Feb 6, 2013

An Actual Bear posted:

That was...ok I'll just say it. That was hideous. Wretched. Appalling. Atrocious. Devoid of any and all merit. It was really bad is what I'm saying.

Seriously, drop the VO gimmick immediately. It was legitimately uncomfortable to listen to. I was cringing the entire time and any and all possible enjoyment I could have gotten from this was ruined. The game has a great script that holds up on its own merit, it doesn't need some wacky fake Batman voiceover. Either do a SSLP or a hybrid, because an entire LP in this style would be just dreadful.

It was a test, and considering the reception I got from the VO, I'll drop it. I'm now more curious about the first half, the introduction, thread formatting, etc.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Sorry to interrupt...whatever that was, but I went back and redid my previous test post.

Kingdom Hearts is an odd little game. A collaboration between Squaresoft (now Square Enix) and Disney, it combines elements of the Final Fantasy series with beloved Disney classics to make something quite...different. The first arc of the series, spanning from the first game (2002) to Kingdom Hearts III (in development, maybe?), incorporates a shitton of characters, plot points, and background into its overall narrative.

Thing is, there was once a time when this series was relatively playable in its entirety, when all you needed was a PS2 and a Gameboy Advance and you were good to go. Cue TGS 2007, when Tetsuya Nomura, the series’ director, announced three new games: one for the DS, another for the PSP, yet another for mobile. A few more years and he would announce that the latest title would be on the 3DS. The story was scattered across a wide spread of different consoles. In effect, this fractured the Kingdom Hearts fanbase probably for the better because they are notoriously bad or just anyone who wanted to follow the story.

This LP is an attempt to put the games all in one place, especially after the latest, Dream Drop Distance, established that every small detail is vital in order to comprehend the story as a whole. Especially when the plot devolves into an incomprehensible clusterfuck only a few games into the series. Not to mention extra scenes added to Japanese-only remakes, which later games will call back to. A lot of people will argue that there’s really no point in trying to piece together the mess, but for people like me who love the crazy, never-ending rabbit hole that the narrative of Kingdom Hearts has come to resemble, the experience of putting all the pieces together is worth it.

At the very least, I will go through KH1, Re:Chain of Memories, KH2, and Birth By Sleep. I’ll be figuring out what to do about 3/DS recording in the meanwhile.

:siren: Spoiler Policy :siren:
This game is over ten years old now. Regardless, since this is a series LP: no spoilers, tagged or untagged! This means any detail regarding the plot, bosses, locations, etc. Please don’t pull that “Wait until you see what happens next!” bullshit, either. There is a KH megathread, if you must talk about something farther into the series than where we are.

How is this LP set up?

I’ll be covering everything outside of opening/closing FMVs in screenshots, with videos for important cutscenes and boss fights. This will not be a 100% playthrough.

As far as extra content goes, I’m planning on doing some write-ups on the music of this series, because it is (for the most part) fantastic. These will probably be far and few in between until we get to later parts of the series and things begin to connect thematically, though. Final Mix (Japanese-exclusive) content will be covered, but all of it is likely going to come from outside sources.

As far as commentary format goes: I have a co-commentator/sworn enemy good friend kuulgai who will be joining us on this magical adventure of Disney and anime. All commentary (anything not from the game itself) will be in italics.

Everything following this image is melodicwaffle’s commentary, whereas...

...This image indicates kuulgai’s stupid remarks brilliant and inspired words.

The Characters

Our hero, Sora.

Single-handedly keeps the hair gel industry going. He has a thing for symbolism and sleeping. Sometimes both, at the same time. Pretty goofy.

His best friend, Riku.

Riku is the mature, coolheaded one of his friends who is about to get drowned never backs down in the face of danger. Sometimes, this is to his benefit. Other times...

And their love interest friend who is a girl, Kairi.

Plucky and kindhearted, Kairi will definitely not be an object of contention between the two male characters. We actually don’t see her too often.

Thinking of you, wherever you are.

We pray for our sorrows to end,
and hope that our hearts will blend.
Now I will step forward to realize this wish.

And who knows:
starting a new journey may not be so hard
or maybe it has already begun.

There are many worlds,
but they share the same sky—
one sky, one destiny.

Here is the first post. Looking for feedback on the commentary and the image size—this time I'm fairly sure the image quality is acceptable, but do you think the shots are too small? (Please feel free to let us know if we're not saying interesting things, as well.)

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 17, 2013

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

zythyl posted:

It was a test, and considering the reception I got from the VO, I'll drop it. I'm now more curious about the first half, the introduction, thread formatting, etc.

When we said to do screenshot, we weren't kidding. Your pacing is terrible. You spend half the video talking about your stat spread.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

zythyl posted:

Just from your test post, why do you have so much stuff about mechanics in the OP? That's usually done as it comes up, and that's how you should do it, too.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

zythyl posted:

I don't know what you're curious about.

An Actual Bear posted:

Either do a SSLP or a hybrid, because an entire LP in this style would be just dreadful.

djw175 posted:

Edit: Serious talk: Don't do this. It's a bad idea. You're voice acting is bad and so is your pacing. If you really want to do this game, do it with screenshots.

BB2K posted:

Well it was pretty boring up until you started doing the VO. Then it turned into a laugh riot.

also don't assume everyone will watch it in HD, because they won't. You can't read anything at lower res.

It seems pretty clear, this is a terrible idea and your execution is god awful. A video lp of this game is probably going to be dull as hell. Do screenshots or a hybrid as suggested. That's pretty much how it goes with almost all RPG games unless you're exceptionally talented at editing or have entertaining people with you to commentate with, and even then it can still end up boring as hell to watch.

Don't do this game as a video lp.

Edit:

melodicwaffle posted:

Kingdom Hearts
I like this, but I do think the images are a bit too small. The quality on them looks good to me but I think they could stand to be a bit bigger. Maybe 640x480?

Hampooj fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 17, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Jeez, you guys are taking LP's pretty seriously; I mean he's having fun and experimenting, and isn't that really the golden rule? To not take LP's seriously ;)

zythyl posted:

But there isn't really anything you're showing or expressing that couldn't be better put into screenshots. The stats screen would be a single shot of the screen and you writing text to explain it, rather than two minutes of staring at a relatively static screen. And the opening bits of dialogue, it sounded like there was only a single line that had voice acting in-game; so what's lost to the viewer by merely typing it out? I guess it was good to see a representation of what you wanted to do, and it might have worked if you were an actual voice actor.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The last Torment LP took four years to finish and was a hojillion words long, I can't even fathom how long it would take to voice act all that dialogue.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Hampooj posted:

Edit:

I like this, I do think the images are a bit too small. The quality on them looks good to me but I think they could stand to be a bit bigger. maybe 640x480?

That was what I had originally, but me and my co-commentator thought those were a tad too big. I'll see if I can whip up something a bit smaller than 640x480 but bigger than what we have now. Thanks!

e: vvv Got it. 640x480 it is.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

melodicwaffle posted:

That was what I had originally, but me and my co-commentator thought those were a tad too big. I'll see if I can whip up something a bit smaller than 640x480 but bigger than what we have now. Thanks!

You should just go with 640x480 images. After all, that's the native resolution of the PS2.

• Locked thread