Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kaubocks posted:

Forgive me for the poor MSPaint illustration to this but I found the Tiki defense mission to be far, far easier once I figured out the enemy AI to it. They will always attempt to go directly at Tiki.

Hm... would the two at the corners be absolutely necessary in this situation, or would the enemy pathing be messed up if they wren't there? Having an extra two roamers out kicking rear end would probably be mildly helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Assassins are cool, and Lethality looks slick as hell. Make him a candy-loving Assassin.

Berserkers are also super cool, so maybe reclass him into that? He's good either way.

Either make Sully a Paladin or double up on Great Knights, it's not worth grinding up new weapon ranks.

Can lethality trigger on bows too because one hit death plinking a guy with his E level bow skill sounds awesome and also like it makes my Virion useless.

Alright cool, Sully and Lonqu Swordmaster are married and it looks like Paladins make good supports.

The Normal Mode difficulty curve is a bit weird. I was finding it hard to keep everyone alive early on (Mostly Sumia. I just decided to never use her) but once you start getting into stuff like making your guys maxed out promoted classes any given unit can solo the story missions. I like that they have lots of free Spotpass stuff because some of it is really challenging.

Also I never want to use DLC/Spotpass reward characters because I miss out on support conversations

Edit: Wait can you reclass from a promoted class into another promoted class? I thought you have to reclass back to a basic class then promote again which seems like overkill unless I play Lunatic

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hm... would the two at the corners be absolutely necessary in this situation, or would the enemy pathing be messed up if they wren't there? Having an extra two roamers out kicking rear end would probably be mildly helpful.

They aren't necessary at all, and having two midfield archers or mages taking potshots is a big help. That's how I did it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can lethality trigger on bows too because one hit death plinking a guy with his E level bow skill sounds awesome and also like it makes my Virion useless.

Alright cool, Sully and Lonqu Swordmaster are married and it looks like Paladins make good supports.

The Normal Mode difficulty curve is a bit weird. I was finding it hard to keep everyone alive early on (Mostly Sumia. I just decided to never use her) but once you start getting into stuff like making your guys maxed out promoted classes any given unit can solo the story missions. I like that they have lots of free Spotpass stuff because some of it is really challenging.

Also I never want to use DLC/Spotpass reward characters because I miss out on support conversations

Edit: Wait can you reclass from a promoted class into another promoted class? I thought you have to reclass back to a basic class then promote again which seems like overkill unless I play Lunatic

You can reclass from advanced class to advanced class once you hit level 10 in them.

Also, skills can now trigger on any kind of weapon attack. So lethality can trigger on Bow attacks, Sword, Tome etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can reclass from a promoted class into another promoted class if you're level 10+ promoted. Manaketes, Taguel, and Dancers can reclass into a promoted class at level 30.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Forgive me for the poor MSPaint illustration to this but I found the Tiki defense mission to be far, far easier once I figured out the enemy AI to it. They will always attempt to go directly at Tiki.

If you attempt to block their path they will only go around you. They just aren't interested in attacking you. If you form a complete wall around her, they will fly at the wall in a straight line and only move when they're blocked. They'll move around it until they are sharing an axis with Tiki and ONLY THEN will they attack whoever is in their way. Enemies with magic will not attack at two-squares' range. Knowing this, I positioned my best units at A, B, and C with their best supports beside them. Had a healer in the inner ring topping everyone off.

Pretty much just ended my turns immediately and mashed start to skip the enemy phase.

I just used a rescue staff to put her next to the wall and made a triangle two squares out from her. Uses way less dudes since you only need five positions.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I just used a rescue staff to put her next to the wall and made a triangle two squares out from her. Uses way less dudes since you only need five positions.

Wouldn't that be 10 characters though, or 5 with 0 Support help?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

I guess it was deliberate design to have the inferior capped classes have much better skills than the higher cap classes.

Counterpoint: Heroes get Sol and Swordmasters get Shooting Star Sword.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wouldn't that be 10 characters though, or 5 with 0 Support help?

Way less is an exaggeration, but I ran it five solos with some pairs running around. I just like it because it's a tighter formation.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

If you attempt to block their path they will only go around you. They just aren't interested in attacking you. If you form a complete wall around her, they will fly at the wall in a straight line and only move when they're blocked. They'll move around it until they are sharing an axis with Tiki and ONLY THEN will they attack whoever is in their way. Enemies with magic will not attack at two-squares' range. Knowing this, I positioned my best units at A, B, and C with their best supports beside them. Had a healer in the inner ring topping everyone off.

Pretty much just ended my turns immediately and mashed start to skip the enemy phase.

Wow this completely trivializes that chapter. Avatar, Chrom, and the endgame prepromotes were the only ones capable of killing anything and they were more than enough. Just placed two or three healers in the line and the thing was impregnable.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Anatharon posted:

Counterpoint: Heroes get Sol and Swordmasters get Shooting Star Sword.

Sol isn't that great (it's the only proc that doesn't increase damage) and Swordmasters have worse caps than Assassins in Strength and Skill (better in Magic, Defense, and Resistance, but that's only relevant if you want to use Levin Swords, and Assassins get bows for ranged attacks anyway).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay, that's fair. I didn't actually know the caps from Awakening. I'll argue Sol's usefulness though, because it basically lets you solo maps.

Kaubocks posted:

If you're having trouble, recruiting Jaffar can be useful. He's an Assassin with Galeforce, and can easily shoot down two units a turn.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just finished the third sidequest, but didn't save a single villager because they had the bright idea to head west toward the pegasus knights. Should I redo the map to get the rewards for saving them, or not worth the effort?

Also why does Miriel as a Dark Mage look so stupid?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rirse posted:

I just finished the third sidequest, but didn't save a single villager because they had the bright idea to head west toward the pegasus knights. Should I redo the map to get the rewards for saving them, or not worth the effort?

All the female dark mages dress like that.

It's based on new Micaiah, or the other way around.

At least SMTxFE has her back to the old design. :shobon:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rirse posted:

It may be worth it to save one villager. The only good reward (a Seraph Robe) is for saving one of them. A Rescue staff makes it pretty easy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rirse posted:

Saving one of those villagers gets you a Seraph robe. More gets you a ladle and a log. Sort of the definition of not worth it.

The generic Dark Mage outfit is pretty stupid and everyone except Tharja and Henry is forced to wear it. (Their variations aren't much better, but at least their capes aren't bright blue)

Everyone has the horrific blue color scheme and generic model outside of their base class/base class promotions.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Zore posted:

Saving one of those villagers gets you a Seraph robe. More gets you a ladle and a log. Sort of the definition of not worth it.

The generic Dark Mage outfit is pretty stupid and everyone except Tharja and Henry is forced to wear it. (Their variations aren't much better, but at least their capes aren't bright blue)

Everyone has the horrific blue color scheme and generic model outside of their base class/base class promotions.

The one downside of dark magic, dumb outfits.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Welp, I beat it. Final impression is that it's a fantastic game marred by a bizarre difficulty curve that starts out rear end-fuckingly difficult, transitions to laughably easy and eventually stabilizes at pretty hard. Given any difficulty ends up feeling pretty artificial when you realize you can just remove everyone but Donnel and his best buddy Chrom from the deployment list to cut down on casualties.

Good game, great fun, wonderful character writing, middling-to-decent plot, entire latter half can be broken over a lone hillbilly's knee.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

All the female dark mages dress like that.

It's based on new Micaiah, or the other way around.

At least SMTxFE has her back to the old design. :shobon:
It's the other way around. All the DLC characters are dressed in the outfit of their default class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wasn't really going for it, but I ended up with almost a completely different party in my 2nd run-through. The variance in this game is great, I don't think that's happened with me in any other FE before.

Manaketes are quickly becoming my favorite units, since they level up pretty fast and a Change Seal lets them gain experience much quicker so they easily gain stats faster than everyone except Donnel.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Gonna make Nah a peg. :getin:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
My favourite thing about the new Micaiah is that I can give her a better outfit and still stomp things with dark magic. Sad that I can't pass that skill to avatar or someone, but even Lunatic is laughably easy with nosferatu so some semblance of balance I guess :shobon:

E: oh dear I think I broke the difficulty

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 17, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

neongrey posted:

Gonna make Nah a peg. :getin:

I made Nah a Griffon Rider for fun and it was pretty great. Plus she got to have Carrier outside of it, which was nice.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SC Bracer posted:

My favourite thing about the new Micaiah is that I can give her a better outfit and still stomp things with dark magic. Sad that I can't pass that skill to avatar or someone, but even Lunatic is laughably easy with nosferatu so some semblance of balance I guess :shobon:

E: oh dear I think I broke the difficulty

You can pass that skill to a kid with some super delayed marriage shenanigans, a male avatar, and a later spotpass paralogue.

Anatharon posted:

I made Nah a Griffon Rider for fun and it was pretty great. Plus she got to have Carrier outside of it, which was nice.

Yeah I could do that but I'm probably just going to take her through Dark Flier, I have Nowi camping the wyvern rider tree.

e: Gonna have to promote her at 10, she's capping everything at level 4 or so. :getin:

neongrey fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 17, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

neongrey posted:

You can pass that skill to a kid with some super delayed marriage shenanigans, a male avatar, and a later spotpass paralogue.

I know, but dammit I want it now. I've just hit level 20 as a sorceror on Loony, and all the other skills I could be learning are mocking me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Talk to me about the DLC for this game. The Hero maps seem kind of middling, maybe a good purchase for people with a lot of history with Fire Emblem. The Gold pack just sounds gross on the surface, even though it would be nice to have a reliable way to level up my weaker members.

If I was considering a second playthrough on Hard, how much of this DLC would be worth my money?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sarchasm posted:

Talk to me about the DLC for this game. The Hero maps seem kind of middling, maybe a good purchase for people with a lot of history with Fire Emblem. The Gold pack just sounds gross on the surface, even though it would be nice to have a reliable way to level up my weaker members.

If I was considering a second playthrough on Hard, how much of this DLC would be worth my money?

This should probably get added to the OP:

My own post a bunch of pages back posted:

Yeah, I have all the DLC. Here's my general opinion (ignoring the actual aesthetics of the characters and only caring about the gameplay value):

Marth - is free at launch so why not get it
Roy - not worth it
Micaiah - gives an important skill and is the best grinding map on lunatic for characters level 40-60 or so
Leaf - not worth it
Alm - gives a neat class
Celice - gives an incredibly important skill for grinding and is the best grinding map on lunatic for characters level 60+
Elincia - not worth it
Eirika - gives a class that's kind of neat but largely skippable. Optimized teams will have one character snipe a single skill from it and then reclass back out
Lyn - gives a bad skill, skippable
Ephraim - the first truly postgame DLC. Worth it if you want a challenge that tests your endgame team rather than a crazy minmaxed team
Celica - not worth it
Ike - gives a skill that is an absolute prerequisite for some of the later DLC
Gold and Silver - only easy way to go infinite on money in lunatic
Entombed Heaven - practically the only way to grind level 1-40 characters in lunatic. Not actually faster than doing skirmishes if in normal or hard
Infinite Divine Weapons - kind of a pain to grind weapons out of, and the only divine weapons that even come close to mattering are Swanchika, Ragnell, Gradivus, and Fala Flame, and Fala Flame and Ragnell are the only ones that can't be approximated by forging 1-2 range weapons. Forged brave weapons are better than all the 1-range divine weapons.
Future of Despair series - probably worth it, I can only understand about 50% of the dialogue without poring over a dictionary but the extra story seemed ok
Ultimate Training series - 1, 3, and 4 are all very good, interesting maps with plenty of strategic depth. 4 mostly requires limit breaker, whereas the first 3 don't (and 2 is trivialized by it).
Bonds series - almost certainly worth it, though I can't say for sure because I'm not super-fluent in Japanese.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you're not on Lunatic couldn't you just play the free spotpass stuff instead of the paid DLC for an endgame challenge? Some of it is really hard.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

If you're not on Lunatic couldn't you just play the free spotpass stuff instead of the paid DLC for an endgame challenge? Some of it is really hard.

Pretty sure if you can beat Endgame on hard none of the spotpass guys will give you much trouble.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

If you like hilarious dialogue you will love the gold grinding map.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Sarchasm posted:

If you are serious at any point on playing the game on Lunatic, a lot of the DLC will help speed up the grinding process. It's possible to play Lunatic without touching DLC, but it's going to require certain character setups or you'll pull out your hair in frustration. I played through the entirety of Hard only touching each DLC once (to unlock the characters) and got along fine.

As someone who likes the series, I'll be buying all the DLC regardless. However, for someone who only wants to pick and choose which ones are worth it, I'd pick DLC with the new classes (Alm and Eirika) and the Future of Despair series (if only for the backstory).

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

The AI in this game is pretty bad. They just seem to charge head on to the nearest enemy no matter what, not caring about more important things. Example, In chapter 9, there's an npc that's suppose to talk to you, but more often than not, it just sticks with the enemies at the bottom of the map

Sarchasm posted:

If you want to break the game, the dlc is just for you.

Wasper fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 17, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Wait, what am I seeing levels higher than 20 in the DLC blip above? Is the level cap not at 20 in this game or is that referencing reclassing stacked levels?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are the good classes for Panne/Nowi to reclass into? I'm a little at a loss since they won't be able to use their stones in any of the other classes as I understand it, so I guess I do into them for their skills and eventually take them back into Taguel/Manakete?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

Wait, what am I seeing levels higher than 20 in the DLC blip above? Is the level cap not at 20 in this game or is that referencing reclassing stacked levels?

Special classes that don't promote, like Villager, Manakete and I think Demon Fighter and Bride get a level cap of 30 to make up for lack of said promotion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Louisgod posted:

I'm pretty sure Cheetah is referring to total level. Once you've hit 20/20 and then Second Sealed back to 1 and capped again, you're functionally level 60.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I had fun reclassing my dancer. Hearing her critical soundbite as she assassinates someone just makes me laugh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lucina and Inigo have the best Supports :allears:

People who don't have those two be siblings have made poor decisions.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lucina and Inigo have the best Supports :allears:

People who don't have those two be siblings have made poor decisions.

Lucina has the same support conversations with all siblings, the responses are slightly different but they are all overall the same. (And it is hilarious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ohtsam posted:

Lucina has the same support conversations with all siblings, the responses are slightly different but they are all overall the same. (And it is hilarious)

Oh, she asks everyone to use the Falchion?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 17, 2013

• Locked thread