Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Does Chronicles+ have the TurboCD music? If not, is there a way to get it in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No it doesn't, but if you have the Turbo CD music in .ogg format you can just overwrite the ones in release\music (obviously you'd want to make a back-up of the original files before doing this).

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I just recently played my first Ys game, Oath in Felghana. It's really fun! Unfortunately when I was a kid and saw these games, I thought it was the stupidest name I'd ever seen and always passed on them at the rental store. Can someone shed some light on what/where an Y is? Back then I pronounced it as "whys" in my head, I have to imagine that's wrong. :)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ys is the name of the floating island that is central to the plot of YsI&II and Origins. YsII takes place entirely on it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

borf posted:

I just recently played my first Ys game, Oath in Felghana. It's really fun! Unfortunately when I was a kid and saw these games, I thought it was the stupidest name I'd ever seen and always passed on them at the rental store. Can someone shed some light on what/where an Y is? Back then I pronounced it as "whys" in my head, I have to imagine that's wrong. :)

In-universe, "Ys" is the name of the flying kingdom you visit in the second game (AKA, the second half of Chronicles+). It takes the name from the myth of Ys, which among other things is where the city of Paris (Par-Ys :v: ) takes its name from. It's pronounced like "ease".

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This thread inspired me to try out the Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys fan-dub, and it's surprisingly just fine! The villain in the opening movie was quite good, actually. This is a lot better than having to check a transcript on Gamefaqs whenever someone spoke.

I just wish Magic Engine hadn't stopped recognizing Daemon Tools for seemingly no reason. I'm using Ootake to emulate now, which has less of a slick presentation but works fine.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
So hey, I just put out a patch for Chronicles+ to improve the controller support a bit. I'm still not sure about that Saitek (and can't really test since I don't have one) but people who are having controller problems, any improvement?

Saralene fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 16, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, that seems to have fixed it for me at least. Thanks a lot :toot:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

toddy. posted:

- Ys Typing Tutor (which is available in English if you hate yourself)

I thought you were bullshitting me, but nope.

http://www.ysutopia.net/projects/ystt/#8

quote:

The Ys Typing Tutor game (referred to by Falcom as "Typing of Ys") is a normally hidden mini-game included with the full Zwei!! PC game that can be unlocked provided certain conditions are met. It is based mostly around Ys II Complete (not Ys II Eternal), both in sprites and text related material.

Around May 8, 2005, some Ys fans were inquiring about the existence of this mini-game. That gave me the idea of perhaps trying to separate it out of Zwei!! and make it available for everyone since I had known about it after trying to hack Zwei!! itself long before. After about 7 hours of hacking and investigating such a task, I made a working separate copy by creating a launcher, extracting/obtaining all needed support files as well as making a few minor changes to the actual game executable component (DLL). I had given the text files over to Deuce for translation, and the hope was for quick release right after he finished. Well, he didn't, we both moved on to other things and the project sat idle.

Come August 14, 2006, I had a day or two to burn on the PC so I started doing my usual rounds of messageboard visiting among other things. While doing so, I happened to notice that old "Typing of Ys" thread that started this whole thing. A board member named Wrydwad had asked about the project status. Well, before I even responded, that got me thinking... I always lamented that Deuce and I never completed this project. So, I decided right then and there to just at least package the whole game in a nice installer, release it, and then maybe, just maybe, some other Ys fan might be willing to translate it. I knew Wrydwad mentioned he has Japanese knowledge and wanted to use it for fan translation purposes, so I mentioned in passing for him to take a crack at it if he wanted, no commitment required. Sure enough, he was that excited about it that he translated most of the strings fairly well, not Deuce-quality, but good enough, so I then edited all his work and released the fully English version now available for your downloading pleasure. Having everything translated also motivated me to finish the necessary font hacking that was needed to make it a fully English application despite expressing a desire to just quit given time constraints since I have more important things to do with my time right now.

So that's the quick history in a nutshell. Well, enjoy!

It's what it sounds like, a typing tutor following the events of the Ys games and filled with little in-jokes. Do the Japanese have a hard-on for these things?

Ed: Also, Spacedrake wrote up why Ys failed in the west during the 90s in the Ys I&II LP:

quote:

It wasn't so obscure back in the day, because during the late 80s and early 90s, Falcom made a pretty big push into the Western market. We got a bunch of the YS I&II and III ports (we even got a version of Ys I made pretty much exclusively for us in the IBM-PC MS-DOS port, but it was very bad). They made a few mistakes, however.

1) They didn't open their own subsidiary. Falcom is actually one of Japan's most venerable game development companies; they opened for business in 1981 to sell Apple II hardware and software in Japan, and published their first proper game in 1982. They also arguably invented the JRPG with Dragon Slayer... in 1984, for the NEC PC-8801. Unlike Square or Enix or Konami, though (and fun fact: one of Square's early, pre-Final Fantasy big breaks was producing the MSX port of Dragon Slayer!) they never bothered to establish their own subsidiary overseas... because their first primary platform, the PC-88 and 98, wasn't at all a success in America. So they instead marched through a legion of publication partners for all their games, from Brøderbund to American Sammy to Working Designs to Sierra Entertainment (no, seriously) to NEC themselves. Of course, this was all after an epic falling out with Richard Garriott and Origin Studios... but that's practically a post in and of itself.

Point is, there was never any set guideline for consistency or quality between all these partners since Falcom didn't have anyone on this side of the pond, so the ports and translations, as noted, were literally all over the loving place. A lot of times the Falcom name even got sawed off the games so people didn't realize whose game it actually was.

2) Falcom backed the wrong horse. Falcom's biggest pushes in the 80s and 90s were for NEC's platforms: the PC-88 and PC-98 for PCs, and the PC-Engine, AKA TurboGrafx16, for consoles. In Japan this move made a ton of sense - both platforms were white-hot, the PC-X8 platform was THE IBM-PC equivalent of Japan, and the PC-Engine was in some ways making both the Genny and even the SNES look like chumps due to the CD attachment.

The problem is that neither of these platforms succeeded in the West at all. The PCX8 gained no traction whatsoever against the IBM-PC since it had nothing unique to offer to the American or European markets, and the TG16 came out later than the PC Engine did and so didn't have nearly as much to offer against the Gen and SNES. This required either messy porting of Falcom's titles, or simply releasing games to a semi-dead system, which is what they tried to do with the original Legend of Heroes game.

3) Falcom chose the wrong game to headline their initial push. Falcom, by the early 90s, had a fairly impressive catalogue of games. A lot of Dragon Slayer games, a couple Ys games, several other projects (including the nascent Legend of Heroes franchise). Out of these, Falcom had to choose a game to "headline" their push, to really show off what they could do.

The game they chose to promote above all others was Ys III: Wanderers From Ys.

If jttoddy does an LP of that game after this, you will understand - in painful detail - why this was the worst decision Falcom could have ever made.

So. After Ys III and the original LoH crashed and burned, Falcom basically took their ball and went home, ignoring the Western market entirely for a decade (meaning we missed out on a whole mess of games). Only in 2003 did we finally get a slightly janky version of Ys VI, and then Namco managed to make a complete disaster out of the Gagharv Trilogy of LoH games (III - V). In the interregnum, practically everyone overseas forgot Falcom even existed - they had zero presence outside of Japan between 1992 and 2003. It's only been recently that Falcom's made a new major push into the West in partnership with XSEED, who are treating the games with a good deal more respect.

Unfortunately, the releases so far are for a system that is doing gangbusters in Japan and is all but dead overseas. So we'll have to see what becomes of all this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saralene posted:

So hey, I just put out a patch for Chronicles+ to improve the controller support a bit. I'm still not sure about that Saitek (and can't really test since I don't have one) but people who are having controller problems, any improvement?

Weirdly it doesn't seem to like the PS3 controller (Motioninjoy) but switching the driver to 360 emulation mode fixes it, so no real worries there.

Actually while you're here, I did have this happen: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDK-on6CIAAiEC3.jpg

It was only for that graphic, but man, Feena must have been really exhausted.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actually while you're here, I did have this happen: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDK-on6CIAAiEC3.jpg

It was only for that graphic, but man, Feena must have been really exhausted.

Same thing happened to me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That Ys typing game looks fun in the same way Typing of the Dead was. Is there a reason it's got some hate beyond its genre?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I actually like Ys Typing. Also for what it's worth the Ys anime wasn't too bad.

I'd forgotten how much I love Ruins of Moondoria's music :allears:

... And how much I hate Rasteenie.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Which title is better for a first time player of the series, The Oath in Felghana or Origins?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

Which title is better for a first time player of the series, The Oath in Felghana or Origins?
Origins, supposedly.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'd like to mention that Ys: Celceta, The Sea of Trees, is slated to come out this Fall in North America. Dunno if its been mentioned yet, but if not, here you go.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/31/ys-memories-of-celceta-slated-for-fall-release-on-vita/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Origin, all the way.

DarkstarIV posted:

I'd like to mention that Ys: Celceta, The Sea of Trees, is slated to come out this Fall in North America. Dunno if its been mentioned yet, but if not, here you go.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/31/ys-memories-of-celceta-slated-for-fall-release-on-vita/

Neat, I'll add that to the OP.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with Origins is that the third playable character is so much more fun than Yunica and Hugo. It's exatly like choosng your favorite out of Krillan, wizard Krillan, and Vegeta.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dinky Duck Race posted:

The problem with Origins is that the third playable character is so much more fun than Yunica and Hugo. It's exatly like choosng your favorite out of Krillan, wizard Krillan, and Vegeta.

Personally, I think everyone should skip Hugo and just play Yunica and the third character. If you really care about the story in an Ys game, I guess you could go back and play Hugo later but he is super boring to play as. That engine just isn't made for primarily ranged combat.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, so far the third character is awesome to play with. Bosses have been tougher I feel but the playstyle is just so enjoyable than I don't mind. For reference I've just been playing all of the games/characters on Normal difficulty for now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

You can also switch between three different sets of music (PC-88, Chronicles, Complete)

I hope one of these is the music from God's One True Ys Soundtrack, the TurboCD version.

Nate RFB posted:

No it doesn't, but if you have the Turbo CD music in .ogg format you can just overwrite the ones in release\music (obviously you'd want to make a back-up of the original files before doing this).

Close enough, I hope there's somewhere I can grab those without it being :filez: so I don't have to go to my parents' house and dig up the CD from 1990.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Definitely do Origin first, it's the first game chronologically and has much less gently caress-you than Felghana.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 17, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts posted:

I hope one of these is the music from God's One True Ys Soundtrack, the TurboCD version.

Nope. But the music is just OGG files, so if you have a rip of the TCD version you can swap it out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: Also, Spacedrake wrote up why Ys failed in the west during the 90s in the Ys I&II LP:

Man, Falcom just can't catch a break, can they. Why do they insist on releasing games to only one platform, anyway? I'd love to play some of the later Ys games but I have absolutely no intention of buying a PSP.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

raditts posted:

Man, Falcom just can't catch a break, can they. Why do they insist on releasing games to only one platform, anyway? I'd love to play some of the later Ys games but I have absolutely no intention of buying a PSP.

I'm gonna take a guess and assume that the popularity of the PSP in Japan + the dwindling interest in PC gaming over there had something to do with it. Though somebody more versed with the Japanese gaming scene could probably correct me on a few points.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No, that's pretty much spot on.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Managed to break Ys Origin. Playing as Toal, you unlock your boost by killing a room full of red (script-tied) bats, and the boost allows you to get past a magic trap. Upon killing the last bat, I did that weird charge attack and dashed out of the room. Never unlocked boost and the bats are normal bats when I go back.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
There's still a friggin' ton of bugs to fix in Chronicles+ it seems, including that Cloud issue it doesn't look like I can fix. Looks like Valve will have to look at that one. Still, I was wondering, when the ton of bugs does get worked out, is there anything you guys would want to see that sounds reasonable for me to do? Missing features from Complete etc?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Did the little keychain things from Eternal Complete make it over? Otherwise I can't think of anything that's missing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Official support for the Turbo CD music, maybe? Not that that was an original feature in the first place though, and who knows if there are licensing hassles with it. Even the .ogg replacement method results in some tracks not looping properly so having it natively supported would be pretty swell.

Everything else has been great, I'm still kind of amazed you got it working.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did the little keychain things from Eternal Complete make it over? Otherwise I can't think of anything that's missing.

They did.

And I imagine request #1 would be official TurboCD music, but I wonder if those might be tied up in rights issues somehow. I'm not sure they would, since the base melodies are the IP of JDK/Falcom, but music rights can get so weird sometimes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Official support for the Turbo CD music, maybe? Not that that was an original feature in the first place though, and who knows if there are licensing hassles with it. Even the .ogg replacement method results in some tracks not looping properly so having it natively supported would be pretty swell.

Everything else has been great, I'm still kind of amazed you got it working.

You need to edit the POS files to get them to loop correctly. I probably still have the fixed ones sitting around here somewhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Baller.

quote:

And I imagine request #1 would be official TurboCD music, but I wonder if those might be tied up in rights issues somehow. I'm not sure they would, since the base melodies are the IP of JDK/Falcom, but music rights can get so weird sometimes.

Yeah I'd imagine the rights are a total mess at this point. If Hudson owned them, then they're now Konami's and I doubt they'd be forthcoming with them. On the other hand, if Ryo Yonemitsu pulled a Yuzo Koshiro and kept the rights himself.. but really, who knows.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just purchesed Ys 1+2 on steam and when I go to play Ys 1 it loads a naked girl with a swirling orb and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
The TurboCD music would indeed be a rights issue I'm afraid. Even stuff like the other console versions' music would be. I'm pretty sure Falcom themselves looked into that before, when first releasing the PSP versions of Oath and Chronicles. Anyway, now that the music is OGG, there are no .POS files. Instead, it's a special tag in the OGGs, LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH. A lot of games use this, you can probably find info on it somewhere. Basically they're in samples, so making a loop isn't hard at all for someone who knows much about sound file editing.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just purchesed Ys 1+2 on steam and when I go to play Ys 1 it loads a naked girl with a swirling orb and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
Set your controls in the configuration tool by running the game through your Steam library. The defaults are awkward. (X is OK, for example.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saralene posted:

Basically they're in samples, so making a loop isn't hard at all for someone who knows much about sound file editing.

Ah, yeah, I remember futzing around with that stuff in Goldwave for looping music in RPG Maker. It's.. not hard, but it is time consuming to get right, and not especially fun.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Almost forgot to post this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134952/a_30_year_fantasy_the_story_of_.php

It's an interview with Falcom's president about their design philosophy and how they view their fans. In particular, people might find these two bits interesting:

quote:

In Japan it's very common for people to stop playing games as they grow up and take on jobs and families. In America, people continue to play games longer, it seems. How does that affect the way you think about your audience?

TK: Actually, we have a very strong fan base, and Ys is a very long series. It seems that the fans have kept playing the series. Before we started putting our games out on PSP, the average age of the fans, there were a lot of people in their 30s, and then there were even people in their early 40s.

But after we started releasing our games on PSP, we gained more younger fans. And so the fan base for the PSP games are more like in their mid-20s -- we have our old school fans, and then there was an addition of newer, younger fans with the PSP version.

A lot of PSP games in Japan are very otaku-centric, with moe elements, and it seems you avoid adding that kind of stuff.

TK: Falcom has had a philosophy, right from the beginning, that has been carried on to this day. When we create a game design, the gameplay system has to be interesting, and if the gameplay system is not interesting, the designers get in trouble. There are people within the company who would say, "Okay, let's use the character to attract the audience." Those kinds of game designs would get canned. They would get in trouble.

That's one of our strong, strong philosophies that has been helping us avoid going in the direction of those otaku, moe characters. If the gameplay system is fun and interesting, we value that the most. If the gameplay system is fun, then we probably might not mind adding those things as another factor to the game, but we don't want that to be the main pull of the game.

Especially with the Ys series, we concentrate on how good the action feels, so we create a lot of prototypes in our development process. The first thing we do is have the character walk and run. And so we have prototypes of the character walking and running, and we try the prototype, and if you feel good just walking in the game, and running in the game, then you know that's a go sign for you to move forward. But if it doesn't feel good at that point, then we just go back and recreate the prototype. So that's how we create games.

That's the reason we don't have those elements in our games too much. Yeah, the Kiseki series, it's not like we've totally said "we don't do that" with it. The Kiseki series has some of those factors. But for us, those factors are never going to be the main pull of the game. We always concentrate on the gameplay systems. The main thing is the gameplay system, for us.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In other words, design is law :cool:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Adol is a moe element.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

*cough*

At least they're kind of self-aware about it...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The one for Ys II is great.

• Locked thread